Job Snob

Options

Replies

• SouthernSweetie74
    Options
    I have to say too that I am a bit discouraged to see the blue collar thing being somewhat shamed.

I graduated from high school and no higher education and now stand behind the parts counter of a farm equipment dealership.
    I have to understand and know the workings of things that to most would be rocket science,have to grasp profit margins and turn ratios plus a dozen plus other things no one has heard of but still could be equated to being a burger flipper.

*sigh*

Whether I would be wary of dating someone in your situations would depend on first off, do you like your job? Are you generally happy with it?

And not that this reflects negatively on you, but are you in more danger than most of being fired or losing everything and becoming homeless because they pay you crap and don't value your work? I said in my first post in this thread that I didn't care that much what a man does for a living as long as I don't have to feed him, since I can't afford to. Simple economic truth.

But I also know I'd rather be with someone who enjoys what he does, whatever that is, because someone who is miserable 40 hours a week is likely to be miserable the rest of the time, too.

I don`t love it and sometimes hate it,so it goes dealing with the public,
    It pays decent for the area and has okay benefits.

I want to leave NY so really am not satisfied with anything while I am here but that is a different subject.
    It is frustrating in that most people would not last a day or many more in my job but off the cuff consider it something a stupid person does. </ semi rant>

Carl, I don't know you well, but I've read your posts, and from what I've seen, there is no way that I would think that you were stupid or less intelligent. As I said in an earlier post, I know many men who do not have a college education and who have blue collar jobs (and for the record, I've only ever dated blue collar guys... nothing against white collar guys, just haven't dated one). Some of these men are far more intelligent than me on many things. For example, like you said, you have to know certain things in your job, things that would probably blow my mind. I do not put all jobs which require no formal training or education in the same category and would not equate flipping a burger to what you do.

Also, I agree with Mara to an extent. If a man is miserable in his job, and all he does is whine and complain about it, and has no plans or goals in order to change his circumstances. A miserable man makes a woman miserable.
  • SouthernSweetie74
    Options
    Carl, I almost prefer blue collar workers (and engineers). I like it when a man works with his hands. I love it when I can say "Honey, can you fix the drawer?" not because I can't do it myself, but because it makes me feel feminine to have someone take care of that for me. I guess that's anti-feminist but everyone has a crazy thing that gets them all hot and bothere.

I agree. I think men that can fix things around my house or my car... are super sexy.
    What it comes down to is when you meet that person do you want to keep seeing them or don't you? You can have parameters but they don't have to be ironclad and if you're just not feeling it whether they meet your standards or not... eh. It's just how things go. So don't feel bad if you didn't already care for this guy and you were turned off that he was a waffle house cook. Like I said, he'll find his own lady that doesn't care and they'll be just fine together. All you can do is focus on you.

:smile:
  • SouthernSweetie74
    Options
    http://news.yahoo.com/us-poverty-track-rise-highest-since-1960s-112946547--finance.html

This is why I get frustrated with the women who think they are princesses and only date men based on their income. Times are changing, soon your pampering and bragging rights might come to an end. Now wanting a good stable income to support the family and pay bills and live comfortable is different but lets be honest, most women are very high maintenance and fussy. Some of you should feel guilty making men spend that money when they have kids or are struggling.

I love you, Anthony. :smile: :flowerforyou: And you already know what I think...
  • SouthernSweetie74
    Options
    Mara, you crack me up!!! If I meet any Waffle House cooks who do handy man work on the side, I'll send them your way. :happy: I think I want a mechanic so he can get all hot and sweaty and dirty and oily and stinky fixing my car. :love: LOL I'll give him a massage when he's finished. :wink:
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    Mara, you crack me up!!! If I meet any Waffle House cooks who do handy man work on the side, I'll send them your way. :happy: I think I want a mechanic so he can get all hot and sweaty and dirty and oily and stinky fixing my car. :love: LOL I'll give him a massage when he's finished. :wink:

Mmm car mechanics. They always have work, and they're extra useful to have around. Yep, definitely massage worthy! Too bad I can't bribe one with my cooking, unless he's willing to eat whatever I throw in the crockpot 24/7!
  • DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    Options
    http://news.yahoo.com/us-poverty-track-rise-highest-since-1960s-112946547--finance.html

This is why I get frustrated with the women who think they are princesses and only date men based on their income. Times are changing, soon your pampering and bragging rights might come to an end. Now wanting a good stable income to support the family and pay bills and live comfortable is different but lets be honest, most women are very high maintenance and fussy. Some of you should feel guilty making men spend that money when they have kids or are struggling.

Great stuff! I think a lot of this is often overlooked in relation to dating. As I said, the current economic conditions are uncharted waters, and the old notions of the economics of dating should be thrown out the window.
  • MaraDiaz
    Options

Great stuff! I think a lot of this is often overlooked in relation to dating. As I said, the current economic conditions are uncharted waters, and the old notions of the economics of dating should be thrown out the window.

So you're saying I should have gotten in on that gravy train when the getting was good? Darn, I missed out.
  • calvert6183
    calvert6183 Posts: 539 Member
    Options

So you're saying I should have gotten in on that gravy train when the getting was good? Darn, I missed out.

Yeah, you should have. People are broke and struggling these days. So many women are worried about dinners and being wined at a time when so many are losing their jobs, houses, and cars. I like how David handles things. He meets women at a park, coffee shop, meetup, or museum instead of dropping a 100 bucks just to have fun with a woman. He is like they either want to get to know me or not and once they do get to know him, he will spoil her. Spoiling strangers is stupid, its different if you are actually dating them.
  • MaraDiaz
    Options

Yeah, you should have. People are broke and struggling these days. So many women are worried about dinners and being wined at a time when so many are losing their jobs, houses, and cars. I like how David handles things. He meets women at a park, coffee shop, meetup, or museum instead of dropping a 100 bucks just to have fun with a woman. He is like they either want to get to know me or not and once they do get to know him, he will spoil her. Spoiling strangers is stupid, its different if you are actually dating them.

Well that's what I get for being the one in the relationship most likely to have a steady job throughout my twenties and thirties. Now I'm in the broke boat, and no one around to pick up my tab. *shrug* Life isn't fair. :laugh:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Generalization warning ahead...

Men want in a partner sex,women want security (and sex).

One does not have to read many threads here to know that is by and large true.

Sex is easy to define (I also do want romance and companionship as much for the record) but security more abstract.
    When in their teens or early twenties the feeling of security may be triggered by the cool guy/bad *kitten* that can take on the world.
    As many find out he makes a very poor lifes partner in the long run.

Since very few of us are forging out an existence in a log cabin fending off wolves and bears,in later years security is a measure of a mans finances and how capable or willing he is to provide.
    That is NOT an insinuation that all women are gold diggers in search of a sugar daddy,do not accuse me of that,it is not what I am saying.

It seems to be the sense that...with this guy I will not have to worry no matter what happens with her job or the notion that maybe she will have to support him.
    That appears to be a close number two of dreaded things a lady has after rejection to the point they will accept being unhappily alone over it.

Or unhappily married:ohwell:
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    I have to say too that I am a bit discouraged to see the blue collar thing being somewhat shamed.

I graduated from high school and no higher education and now stand behind the parts counter of a farm equipment dealership.
    I have to understand and know the workings of things that to most would be rocket science,have to grasp profit margins and turn ratios plus a dozen plus other things no one has heard of but still could be equated to being a burger flipper.

*sigh*

How long have you worked there? Are you happy?

I would gladly take a blue collar dude that can work with me in the garden, fix the roof issues and goes to work each and every day. If he is dependable and has a good work ethic. I really do not care of I make more money than my new partner, as long as they have a good history.

As a matter of fact, I like rough hands:wink:
  • calvert6183
    Options

Well that's what I get for being the one in the relationship most likely to have a steady job throughout my twenties and thirties. Now I'm in the broke boat, and no one around to pick up my tab. *shrug* Life isn't fair. :laugh:

Im sorry that happened. I am there with you, i lost alot cause of someone too. It broke my savings and im still trying to recover from it. It sucks. I think its important that both parties carrier their own weight.
  • DMZ_1
    Options
    Is this an age bracket thing? I buy my own meals, pay for my own drinks.

It could be. I haven't seen much enthusiasm amongst women in their 20s for paying for date costs, which is why I keep the costs down. The cheaper the cost of the activity in the first few, the better it is. For men, I think it is a good idea to take cost out of the equation in the early going, and see if the other person is genuine and likes you for you, because you’re a quality guy.
    I like how David handles things. He meets women at a park, coffee shop, meetup, or museum instead of dropping a 100 bucks just to have fun with a woman. He is like they either want to get to know me or not and once they do get to know him, he will spoil her. Spoiling strangers is stupid, its different if you are actually dating them.

Thank you. :smile: Yes, my individual dates get nowhere near 100 bucks. Certainly, the cost of an individual dates can be increased as we go further along.

Meetups are a great source for finding dates, if you live in a major metropolitan area. The quality of Meetup groups varies by location. In a major metropolitan area, a lot of Meetup groups are populated by single people. Why? Because the majority of activities that Meetup groups do are singles conducive. A person in an existing relationship neither would not enjoy, nor perceive a need for most Meetup activities. But if you need to find dates and new friends (I’ve made some guy friends from Meetups too), many of the groups are good resources.

For the purposes of dating, there’s an art to selecting to Meetup groups. It isn’t the easiest art to master either. Every group has nuances to manage as well.
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    You got me before I could delete my reply. :wink: I did so because I did not read the article, and realized my comment may have nothing to do with the posters comments.

As for paying for the date. I find the guys in my age group readily pay the check and I have to arm wrestle them to even leave a tip. I guess there are good points to dating in your 50's:glasses:
  • MaraDiaz
    Options

Im sorry that happened. I am there with you, i lost alot cause of someone too. It broke my savings and im still trying to recover from it. It sucks. I think its important that both parties carrier their own weight.

Indeed, at the beginning it's something good to establish. If something happens later and the couple is married, it falls under that in sickness and in health clause if it's a genuine situation, but aside from a stable marriage, I've found it's really not wise to look after your significant others interests before your own.
  • calvert6183
    Options

It could be. I haven't seen much enthusiasm amongst women in their 20s for paying for date costs, which is why I keep the costs down. The cheaper the cost of the activity in the first few, the better it is. For men, I think it is a good idea to take cost out of the equation in the early going, and see if the other person is genuine and likes you for you, because you’re a quality guy.

I agree, it seems most women in their 20s and early 30s are more spoiled and date for the wrong reasons such as being shown or just bored and need something to do or attention. Older women seem to just want to spend time with a good man is more about the quality of the person and enjoying them, not the experience of having a good expensive meal and attention. When I talk about this, its just generalizing and most of my friends are female and they agree. I know men are not perfect and not all women are l like what I described. I feel like one of those drug companies who have to say the legal crap at the end of a commercial to keep from being sued.
  • arewethereyet
    Options

I agree, it seems most women in their 20s and early 30s are more spoiled and date for the wrong reasons such as being shown or just bored and need something to do or attention. Older women seem to just want to spend time with a good man is more about the quality of the person and enjoying them, not the experience of having a good expensive meal and attention. When I talk about this, its just generalizing and most of my friends are female and they agree. I know men are not perfect and not all women are l like what I described. I feel like one of those drug companies who have to say the legal crap at the end of a commercial to keep from being sued.

Haha, small print. It is hard to hear inflection on here, huh?

I can say that I get different advice from different age groups IRL. I had one girl in her 20's at a make up counter tell me I should go on lots of dates at expensive restaurants. She went on to say they are lucky to have my company, and I should take advantage. Then she said " Plus you are poor now!" :huh: :laugh:

Good thing I love the human condition.:tongue: I did tell her that I am anything but poor, and reminded her I just spent 80 bux on a bottle of foundation.

Personally, I would rather pay my share. This way I am comfortable ordering my Surf and Turf or Filet Mignon if I so choose. If I know the guy is paying, I order about what he does money wise.

Ah, the joys of dating.

Now back to OP topic: Job Snob:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • SouthernSweetie74
    Options

Free dates are sometimes the most fun! I'd rather meet someone in a park or museum or at the lake any day over going to an expensive restaurant! My ex and I never actually had our real "first date" until we'd already been seeing each other for several months. We went to the state park, went fishing with the kids, went to the river... watched movies cuddling on the couch long before we ever went to a restaurant.
  • DMZ_1
    Options
    Haha, small print. It is hard to hear inflection on here, huh?

I can say that I get different advice from different age groups IRL. I had one girl in her 20's at a make up counter tell me I should go on lots of dates at expensive restaurants. She went on to say they are lucky to have my company, and I should take advantage. Then she said " Plus you are poor now!" :huh: :laugh:

Good thing I love the human condition.:tongue: I did tell her that I am anything but poor, and reminded her I just spent 80 bux on a bottle of foundation.

Personally, I would rather pay my share. This way I am comfortable ordering my Surf and Turf or Filet Mignon if I so choose. If I know the guy is paying, I order about what he does money wise.

Ah, the joys of dating.

Now back to OP topic: Job Snob:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

The woman at the makeup counter has a bad 'tude. Good for you for paying your own share. You seem to have a good 'tude.
  • SouthernSweetie74
    Options
    @ arewethereyet: I don't mind hijacking! :smile:

That's how some great conversations are started. You say one thing which makes you think of something else which leads to something different and so forth...