Why the rapid weight loss on Low Carb ( Induction ) stops

Options

Replies

• EllaLeahB
    EllaLeahB Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Is there a way to favorite this so I can reference back to it? I really like all the information, it explains it very well so thank you!
  • camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    EllaLeahB wrote: »
    Is there a way to favorite this so I can reference back to it? I really like all the information, it explains it very well so thank you!

I just saved the url -- go the start of this post (page 1 of this entry) and copy/bookmark the url in your browser. It should open it directly whenever you click on it. MFP isn't so great for saving posts, I find. :neutral:
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,963 Member
    Options
    EllaLeahB wrote: »

It's linked in the Open Threads, so if you want it again, it's there. :smile:
    You can "star" it on the app, but I think it will really only hold so many so the older ones get bumped if IIRC. Bookmarking it in your web browser is your best bet.
  • MissyCHF
    MissyCHF Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    May I ask you if my goals are sensible and practical? I am an 84 year old woman trying to reduce the weight on my arthritic limbs. My weight now is 156lbs and I am 5ft 3ins. Many thanks.
    Calories
    Carbohydrates 90 g
    30 %
    Fat 73 g
    55 %
    Protein 45 g
    15 %
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    MissyCHF wrote: »
    May I ask you if my goals are sensible and practical? I am an 84 year old woman trying to reduce the weight on my arthritic limbs. My weight now is 156lbs and I am 5ft 3ins. Many thanks.
    Calories
    Carbohydrates 90 g
    30 %
    Fat 73 g
    55 %
    Protein 45 g
    15 %

That protein seems awfully low to me. We need more protein as we get older. I would at least double that number if not more.
  • MissyCHF
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Thank you. If I changed it to 100gram perhaps, I'm not sure if it should be weighed cooked or raw. Might this make a difference to my CKD, I wonder.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Thank you. If I changed it to 100gram perhaps, I'm not sure if it should be weighed cooked or raw. Might this make a difference to my CKD, I wonder.

If by CKD you mean Chronic Kidney Disease, I'd be checking with your doc regarding increasing protein.

The RDA is generally .36 x body weight. Your weight isn't so extreme that the calculation would skew the number much. That said, the RDA is considered a minimum amount to keep someone healthy. There is a huge range of what people consider healthy amounts 'round here and from various experts.

Most of what I read indicates higher protein isn't problematic UNLESS your kidneys are already not healthy.

• MissyCHF
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »

If by CKD you mean Chronic Kidney Disease, I'd be checking with your doc regarding increasing protein.

The RDA is generally .36 x body weight. Your weight isn't so extreme that the calculation would skew the number much. That said, the RDA is considered a minimum amount to keep someone healthy. There is a huge range of what people consider healthy amounts 'round here and from various experts.

Most of what I read indicates higher protein isn't problematic UNLESS your kidneys are already not healthy.

I was stage three CKD but the last time I had a checkup I was told it were improving. I do tend to have more fat than protein in my diet. I like cream... :) At my age I will be happy to have a goal of 146 lbs so is it .36 x 146? I am 156 now.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »

Everything I've seen that is credible (i.e. peer reviewed sources) says the same... but someone with CKD is at risk. Your physician should have a better understanding of this risk as well as knowing where your kidney function is at.

If the dr. says you should stay at that protein level, it still would be worthwhile to decrease carbs a bit further and increase fat to make up the calories. You should be able to lose body fat at 90g of carbs if eating at a deficit (in theory), though some of us have found greater benefits with lower carb levels. If the doc is against a protein increase, see what s/he thinks about swapping out some carbs for more fat.
  • MissyCHF
    Options
    I think I'd better take your advice. Other than arthritis I feel fine but will consult my doctor before making any rash decisions. Many thanks.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    All I know is Dr Bernstein apparently had kidney disease which healed and he eats and advocates higher protein. Plus 100g doesn’t seem high.
    There’s serious risks when older people don’t get enough protein.
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/28534027/
    “there exists a growing body of evidence that is strongly suggestive of an increased need and/or benefit for protein in older persons. That is, intakes beyond the RDA are, in older persons, associated with benefits.”
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    All I know is Dr Bernstein apparently had kidney disease which healed and he eats and advocates higher protein. Plus 100g doesn’t seem high.
    There’s serious risks when older people don’t get enough protein.
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/28534027/
    “there exists a growing body of evidence that is strongly suggestive of an increased need and/or benefit for protein in older persons. That is, intakes beyond the RDA are, in older persons, associated with benefits.”

Thanks for sticking with this subject. Below is a link that made me realize protein is our source of amino acids.

https://khanacademy.org/test-prep/mcat/biomolecules/amino-acids-and-proteins1/a/chemistry-of-amino-acids-and-protein-structure
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    In reviewing Dr. Pescatore's protocol for reversing Alzheimer's and dementia he recommends a low-carb, high-protein diet with 1 gram of protein per pound of your weight.

• MissyCHF
    Options
    Looking on a CKD stage 3 site, it says protein advised is 0.8 per kg body weight. So at my present weight I can have 57grams protein.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    Looking on a CKD stage 3 site, it says protein advised is 0.8 per kg body weight. So at my present weight I can have 57grams protein.

Usually these types of recommendations are minimum requirements and don’t generally suggest a person can’t have more. It’s just they should not have less than that.
    Many people interpret them to mean it’s a limit. I don’t think that’s the case.
  • MissyCHF
    Options

Usually these types of recommendations are minimum requirements and don’t generally suggest a person can’t have more. It’s just they should not have less than that.
    Chronic Kidney Disease tends to make a difference.

• kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options

Chronic Kidney Disease tends to make a difference.

I concur with the bold. I do urge you to do what you mentioned up thread and discuss your intake with your medical team prior to deciding to arbitrarily increase your protein intake. The mention up thread of the random one doctor (Bernstein, very respected by many in the diabetic world and frankly considered a quack by others) who decided to be his own guinea pig with his own reported Chronic Kidney Disease does not mean he has recommended a high/er protein diet for all persons who have Chronic Kidney Disease.

While I am generally an advocate for a ketogenic diet and most certainly an advocate of a low carb diet that excludes or heavily minimizes (non vegetable) carbohydrate intake, I do not see it as a cure for every ailment that exists in our current society. Additionally I am not a medical professional nor do I know anything about anyone's personal medical history other than what is typed on the interwebz.

That said, I also agree that the RDAs/RDIs are a minimum recommendation (as I mentioned me and others up thread). The .36 x per pound of body weight and the .8 x per kg of body weight are the same general calculation presented in different measure of pounds or kilogram.

Do I think @MissyCHF intake of 45 grams of protein is low based on RDI/RDA and the plethora of higher intake suggestions I have read through multiple sources? Yes. Do I think it is low for YOU...an 84 year old female, who enjoys eating fat, has about 10 pounds she wants to lose, has slightly thinning hair, arthritis, a previously broken hip (I think that was mentioned, not sure) and Chronic Kidney Disease...the list from things you have mentioned in your previous posts...I have no idea.

As an aside: I am in the group that does not consider Dr. Bernstein a quack though I've not read his book/s nor have I studied his positions on health. That said, I will guess with some degree of certainty if you asked him directly if you should increase your protein intake his answer would probably be, "That depends...". Rant over.

ETA: have I changed my way of eating based on what I have read/researched/studied over the last few years? Yes. However there is one thing that always rings true with me and I tend to be guided by in my personal decision making: No matter how flat the pancake, it still has two sides.

• anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I just want to mimic the sentiment that online advice for a chronic disease is the last place you want to seek it, but from my own limited experience in a hospital setting, you should work with your nephrologist to determine the maximum allowable daily protein limit your kidneys can tolerate that do not result in taxing them. The conundrum is that your entire body and organs are made of protein. Having no protein at all is a sure fire way to degrade them faster. Having too much (in context of having CKD) can cause deleterious results and dialysis isn't fun at all. So, find a happy medium that allows you to maintain an appropriate amount of protein and enough calories to allow for as much activity you can enjoy/tolerate, but do work with your medical team and let them know what your goals are so they can accommodate your plan.
  • MissyCHF
    edited January 2018
    Options
    kpk54, I had never heard of Dr. Bernstein until of late so know nothing about him/her. Thank you for your sincerity.

anubis609, Thank you, your opinion coincides with my own. I don't want to 'rock the boat' of my health. I'd like to continue to enjoy my next ........ whatever years.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    kpk54, I had never heard of Dr. Bernstein until of late so know nothing about him/her. Thank you for your sincerity.

anubis609, Thank you, your opinion coincides with my own. I don't want to 'rock the boat' of my health. I'd like to continue to enjoy my next ........ whatever years.

You're quite the outlier @MissyCHF. A young lady as yourself interacting on the forums for optimal health and performance is already an outstanding perspective to have. Many others have resigned themselves to letting their chronological age stop them from pursuing life. I applaud and wish you well!