Whole30 September Challenge

Options

Replies

• jconnon
    jconnon Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Day one went well. I have been skipping breakfast for quite sometime now and I think I may have start having something in the morning again.
  • MyHealthyTemple
    MyHealthyTemple Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Just decided to join Whole30 even though it's 3 days into September today, I will just go on a few days longer to make up the days:-)

Oops! I had dairy today so I guess that's me out!
  • shinyhappyrae
    shinyhappyrae Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Read through the ISWF book yesterday and found this group. I will be officially starting Whole30 Sept 8 because of an event on the 7th I just can't pass up, but will start eating according to the plan today.
  • MamaDee2
    MamaDee2 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    Started yesterday! Days one and two have been fine except for the caffeine withdrawal headache. Good luck everyone!
  • ajclemons5
    Options
    I'm in!! today is day 5 for me, and so far so good. i hope i've gotten over the "crabby" phase, so does my husband :)
  • idauria
    idauria Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    I'm on day 2. So far so good except breakfast. Until now I was having a protein shake every day for breakfast. I do this because I don't like breakfast foods and it's filling and it's a good way for me to sneak in extra veggies. But whey isolate protein is not Whole30 friendly because it's derived from dairy so now I need new ideas. I guess I'll have to force down some eggs because I don't know what else to eat. I say force because I don't really like them. Any thoughts or suggestions?
  • beckie32536
    beckie32536 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I'm on day 2. So far so good except breakfast. Until now I was having a protein shake every day for breakfast. I do this because I don't like breakfast foods and it's filling and it's a good way for me to sneak in extra veggies. But whey isolate protein is not Whole30 friendly because it's derived from dairy so now I need new ideas. I guess I'll have to force down some eggs because I don't know what else to eat. I say force because I don't really like them. Any thoughts or suggestions?

You may need to try and think outside the box for things to eat if you aren't wild about eggs. Sometimes I will eat a piece of leftover meat for breakfast (steak is a great option for this). There is nothing that says that you should have "breakfast" foods for breakfast (personally I love anything Italian for breakfast).

Also, I frequently will have Bulletproof coffee and it keeps me full until 1-2pm.
  • idauria
    Options

You may need to try and think outside the box for things to eat if you aren't wild about eggs. Sometimes I will eat a piece of leftover meat for breakfast (steak is a great option for this). There is nothing that says that you should have "breakfast" foods for breakfast (personally I love anything Italian for breakfast).

Also, I frequently will have Bulletproof coffee and it keeps me full until 1-2pm.

Yeah, this is pretty much what I am hearing over at the whole30 forum. I can eat eggs if it's frittata style, not just scrambled or poached, fried, etc. I have some leftover sauteed spinach from dinner tonight and I think I'll throw that into some eggs tonight and make a frittata to have for breakfast tomorrow. I also bought a package of organic all natural chicken and apple sausages that I might have along side it.
  • jconnon
    jconnon Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Would anyone that is doing the whole 30 this month and has an open diary mind if added them as a friend so I can look at your diary for more idea's. I have my wife doing this with me and although I could eat the same stuff for 30 days and not care she is much harder to please when it comes to food.
  • skwidlund
    skwidlund Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Yesterday was a horrible, hard day for me due to a loss, and I actually ended up at Starbucks with a pumpkin spice latte in my hand. I took 1 sip and all I could taste was chemicals. I dumped it straight in the garbage and moved on with decent Whole30 meals. Technically, I should probably start over, but I think I might have had a bigger victory than eating perfectly.
  • sarbar71
    sarbar71 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I am on Day 3 - so far so good! I have had some very mild headaches that come and go, but nothing major. My biggest challenge so far has been making sure that I am getting enough calories. I have tried eating larger quantities of meat and including a lean protein as a snack, but I actually started gagging yesterday because I was so full. Does it even matter if I am below my allotted 1200 per day while on Whole30? Any ideas and suggestions would be greatly appreciated, as this is my first time doing this!!
  • sarbar71
    sarbar71 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Yesterday was a horrible, hard day for me due to a loss, and I actually ended up at Starbucks with a pumpkin spice latte in my hand. I took 1 sip and all I could taste was chemicals. I dumped it straight in the garbage and moved on with decent Whole30 meals. Technically, I should probably start over, but I think I might have had a bigger victory than eating perfectly.

Skwidlund - I was just reading a post on the Whole30 website earlier where someone had a similar "oops". They had eaten something with an ingredient that is not allowed. The moderator basically said "don't sweat it, and no need to start over". Just chalk it up to learning and move forward. :) Hope your day is better today!
  • sataylor24
    sataylor24 Posts: 49 Member
    Options

I hope that you are having a better day today and I will keep your family in my prayers. I think the fact that you tossed the Pumpkin Spice Latte in the trash after 1 drink is a huge win - NSV for you.
  • sataylor24
    sataylor24 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    On day 9 and still going strong.
  • DEGiltz
    DEGiltz Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Thought I would chime in too ... I'm on day 6. I didn't think this was something I could do, but I'm actually really enjoying eating this way. Would love to add some friends to my friend list who are sticking with this challenge for the month and beyond!!

Please send me a friend request if you would like to be support "buddies"! : )
  • idauria
    Options
    Day 3 here. No issues so far. I even enjoyed my breakfast of egg frittata with spinach and a whole 30 compliant chicken and apple sausage from whole foods. It even kept my full until lunch. That's one reason I love protein shakes, they keep me full for hours, unlike most breakfasts which leave me looking for a snack mid morning. However, I have had a wicked headache since yesterday. Nothing is helping. I don't know if it's related to the diet because my diet really wasn't that different before I started a few days ago. I just want it to go away.
  • ChasingKatie
    ChasingKatie Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Day 6 coming to an end and each day I feel better and better! I keep fining myself not eating dinner. Sometimes Im a little hungry but the thought of actually eating something is unappetizing. I wonder if my body is making the switch from eating for pleasure to eating for fuel? I have plenty of fat to live off of for months! Maybe Im also recognizing what is and isnt true hunger.
  • MamaDee2
    MamaDee2 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    Starting day 4 and already I can feel the difference in my jaw. I have TMJ and the inflamation would sometimes hurt so bad I could not close my teeth together properly. In fact the other day I told my husband ,I thought I was going to have to break down and get it fixed. Guess I have fixed it with change in diet!! How AWESOME is that?!?!?!?!
  • idauria
    Options
    Day 7 here and going strong. I did overdo the nuts yesterday and I got on the scale this morning because I was sure I would have gained, but thankfully it's still the same. Breakfast still proves to be the biggest challenge since I am not longer drinking protein shakes. I really missed them so this morning I made one without the protein powder. I just used almond milk, 2 tbs of almond butter(instead of the usual 1), 1/2 cup frozen blueberries, some fresh kale, and an apple slice that my kids left over. It wasn't as good as my regular shakes because there's no sweetener in there, but it was acceptable and it did fill me up for quite a while. I had it around 8:30 and ate lunch at 12:30. That's about as long as my protein shakes fill me up for so I'm happy. Now I know I have an alternative to eggs.
  • DarkAngellEyes
    DarkAngellEyes Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I started my 30 days this past Sunday (9/8) so I am halfway through my Day 3. So far so good! I tried this challenge back in August but only made it 2 weeks or so before I caved, so I'm really looking forward to sticking to it this time around! Its also nice to have my husband on board with me - I've noticed its been keeping me motivated to look for good Whole30-approved recipes to make sure he doesnt get bored with it, so its a win-win!

My main focus this time around is going to be to cut down on my fruit intake - I relied pretty heavily on it last time and I know I need to get it under control.

Oh and thanks to idauria for the idea about the shakes for breakfast - I've been surviving on eggs only lately so it'll be nice to have an alternative!