Activities

Options

Replies

• strudel82
    strudel82 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Walking! Maybe we could all hit a however many miles walked or ran?

Definitely this!
  • checof
    checof Posts: 114
    Options
    What about having choices for each challenge? One option could be something that anyone can do, such as walking, lunges, crunches, etc...and the other option could be something that might not work for everyone but can still appeal to different groups of people (for example, one week it could be the elliptical, and another week it could be a YouTube video). That way, there's always something for everyone, but there are options for people to take advantage of gym memberships, computer access

I like this idea a lot.
  • LucilleHighball
    LucilleHighball Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I love dancing. Whether its in a class or around my apartment. Its the most fun. I love Zumba for that reason, and pole. Its the only exercise that doesn't feel like working out to me. I also run/walk, especially outside. I have gotten to know my new neighborhood very well just jogging through.
  • ellehcimyelhsa
    Options
    I walk a lot. I would really like to start jogging/running, I'll probably start C25K soon . I do some circuit training DVDs (and youtube videos) like Jillian Michaels 30DS. I am starting to incorporate more weights into my routine to build some lean muscle. I love love love boxing! I was an amateur boxer pre-baby :)
  • sherrirb
    sherrirb Posts: 1,714 Member
    Options
    If it hasn't already been mentioned, here are my suggestions in regards to challenges.

X number of mins Cardio

X number mins strength training - this could be bicep curls, 21s or butterflies (or countless other exercises) which you do NOT need weights for. Cans of soup work GREAT when you dont have weights, especially if you are doing a high number of reps. These done slowly with lighter weights can really give your muscles a good workout.

X number of miles - walk, run, rollerskate, swim - double the mileage for bicycling

Jumping jacks, lunges, crunches, leg lifts, calf raises, jumping rope (with or without rope) step-ups, push-ups, core exercises, upper body, lower body.. tons of great stuff out there that does not require any equipment.

The only time you would have to offer choices would be for people that might have specific injuries that do not allow them to do the exercise listed. These people can be allowed alternatives, otherwise everyone should be trying to do the same challenge.
  • Littlemissjackie1
    Littlemissjackie1 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I think the idea of burning an x number of calories for the week is another great challenge! :)

I also like the suggestion of challenging ourselves to get in a certain number of veggies each day. Something I know I need to do more of.

With this challenge happening through the holidays, perhaps we can exchange healthier snacks/appetizers, desserts, or meals we can make for parties.

I like this idea!
  • emilye72
    emilye72 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I love to hike when its not 110 outside. So come late November I'll be ready to get back to hiking. I already walk all day at work, but you can never walk too much. I personally right now do Turbofire or insanity. Completed p90x last year and saw results, but went on a 2 week vaca and everything went downhill from there. I think just tracking steps walked or miles would be a good challenge!
  • PHYLLISALEXIS
    PHYLLISALEXIS Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I enjoy cicuit training and 30 day shred DVD by Jillian Michaels . I am doing level one as a new beginner
  • bkw2010
    bkw2010 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Walking, hiking, elliptical and strength training with light weights. I used to LOVE doing DVD workouts, but injured my back pretty badly (bad form on squats and lunges), so I haven't gotten back to that just yet. :(
  • geonbaeLeilee
    geonbaeLeilee Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Walking and Zumba mostly. I started Tae Bo and 30DS is floating in the mail somewhere. O.o I'm also going to start using the treadmill as soon as I can afford to get it repaired. :(
  • siouxzy
    siouxzy Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Just getting back into exercise after childbirth, so not up to high impact stuff just yet. Also exercising at home rather than gym. i really like variety, circuits (did love boxing classes to pre-bub) and swimming. I am going to try and do as much as i can from home, so any suggestions on workout routines would be great
  • BRAAAAAANDI
    BRAAAAAANDI Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Elliptical and anything outdoors with my 5 year old. I've also join the 30 day shred September challenge that's on here!
  • almcneal
    almcneal Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I enjoy aerobic and kickbox videos, and my incline trainer.
  • SnacktotheFuture
    SnacktotheFuture Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Weight lifting, bicycling, lunges, sit ups, push ups and jogging
  • dontquitforreal
    dontquitforreal Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    A good one once it gets really cold/icy outside (for some people- I live in Michigan!) is Pilates. I use it on off days from my walk/run program to stretch and tone. I even work up a little sweat. Mari Winsor is pretty good and I don't get tired of repeating her workout (I have a DVD) or hearing her voice like you might with some workout DVD's I'm sure. Most libraries should have some sort of Pilates for free checkout, and I've done that before just to "try it before I buy it."
  • dontquitforreal
    dontquitforreal Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Oh and I have to agree with people about Zumba! I tried a free class just to see what I thought, and I was really pouring sweat after the first song or so. I made it through the whole thing and it was fun while I kept on sweating! Lots of energy needed, but I didn't even feel as tired as I would when I try to run. Great workout. Moves can be hard to coordinate for beginners, but it's really fun!
  • LindaJWan
    LindaJWan Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Have you seen the 100 Workout - you can find it on Pinterest...

100 WORKOUT

100 Jumping Jacks
    90 Crunches
    80 Squats
    70 Leg Lifts
    60 Jumping Jacks
    50 Crunches
    40 Squats
    30 Leg Lifts
    20 Jumping Jacks
    10 Running (or some other Cardio

Just an idea - what if we do something with this...I realize everyone else is giving ideas of activities that they like to do but we have so many different people. All of these activities are things that we can and need to do. We can just challenge ourselves how many we can do or how long it takes us...Start at the bottom and work our way up......

Just another idea..
  • cjvvus
    cjvvus Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I do the elliptical, walk strength train, stationary bike pushups and ab work. Looking forward to the activities. Accepted the 300 jumping jack challenge last week and my knees hurt for a week but open to anything other than jumping jacks.
  • helenld1
    helenld1 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Hmmm - I do a bit of everything Attack, Pump, CX, Running, Kettlebells, Lifting. I do need something that will keep me interested as it starts to get darker as I find it easier to go to the gym and go running when its nice (don't we all?!).

As long as people don't make me do Zumba :grumble: (my co-ordination is so bad I'm a danger to other people in those sorts of classes so for public safety I don't go)

I'm happy to do "X amount of miles/minutes/reps" challenges as well as "try new exercise" challenges. Basically, I'm up for anything as long as there's some in built flexibility as I do have slight OCD when it comes to my routine. In fact, maybe this group will help me break that routine.
  • tsjourney
    tsjourney Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I personally can't do a lot of the squats/lunges things due to a bad ankle but I can figure out how to modify things as much as possible. Just to have quick mini challenges daily would be helpful. Maybe even with hand weights (or cans of whatever to use) for strength training.