What Does a Good First Date Look Like?

Options

Replies

• kerrymh
    kerrymh Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    I like the original post DM

Although I don't think I've had more than one date that was like that..perhaps that's why so many first and no seconds.

ON the hot topic of kissing. I think the best dates do end in a kiss..or some kissing :) I want to know that the man is interested/attracted enough to make that move. I do give signals..I'm not completely a dimwit.
    And if he doesn't kiss me on the first date..but makes an effort to communicate with me and ask for a 2nd date I'll forgive him and see him again. But if he didn't attempt to kiss me if I gave signals..and he doesn't initiate conversation post date..lost cause (if he calls me 2 weeks later wtf?). (just speaking about this week 2 men restarted communication from 1st dates last month).

Some way to be close is important, and some way to just be silly and have a good time. A first date should be light hearted..not serious and fancy. Physical activity would be a good option since it gets the system pumping, blood flowing and fills in awkward silences sometimes.
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    Interesting discussion, all. I wonder if there are any cultural differences that come into play here. I know that I am more likely to stand too close than too far away from someone (compared to the average Canadian) and am quite comfortable with strangers touching me (yes I know that sounds weird!). My family is a very kissy bunch.. in fact we do kiss on the lips still at times (a peck obviously). I have some friends we kiss on the cheek and/or I have also kissed on the lips. So for me.. I don't know... maybe a kiss doesn't mean as much as to others?

Definitely so, I believe. That's funny, because my family is not kissy/huggy. I have hardly hugged my family members much past the elementary school age, and forget about kissing. I've never kissed a family member on the lips except for when I was a kid.

I'm not a hugger or a kisser by any means, and so if a guy went in for that on the first date, it's a turnoff. I have to wait until I'm comfortable before I like to hug people, it's just how I grew up.

. Some people just don't like to be intimate with people they just met which can include kissing. I don't even like to be touched by someone that I barely know much less kissed. I have gotten over this more lately especially when I am drinking but when I was younger (early 20s) I just had too many guys grope within the same night as meeting that I have put walls up.

Exactly. Like I said above, I am the exact same way. That doesn't mean that I won't hug anyone, I just have to know you first.
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    Everyone should kiss at their own pace. No right or wrongs here. Just that the two people concerned are on the same page. If you are, you'll work it out :flowerforyou:

I have had a date kiss me and then I never heard from him again. So no real indicator of interest. Now that's just confusing! I dont kiss a guy unless I'm interested........

so now you know DM, if you get the cheek, it may just mean you're moving too fast!

Everyone is different :flowerforyou:
  • MikeM53082
    MikeM53082 Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    There are a number of different ways to gauge attraction levels prior to going in for the kiss. I look for these signals. If I don't get the signals, I don't go in for the kiss because it is very hard to recover from a failed kiss attempt.

I have noticed as well that if there is a no kiss first date, even if I offer a 2nd, the 2nd date is more often than not turned down.

A good kiss is a strong indicator that she wants more.
    I just passed date #3 last night and still no kiss... but I'm just now starting to really like this guy. :bigsmile:

Keep me posted on this one. I don't think I've ever waiting until date #4 for the first kiss. It sounds like he's really, really into you if he's willing to wait this long.
  • JanieJack
    JanieJack Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    I don't think I've ever waiting until date #4 for the first kiss. It sounds like he's really, really into you if he's willing to wait this long.

Please explain this... I don't understand how waiting for a kiss is an indicator of being really into a woman.

(I personally think waiting is a good sign, but everything I've heard is that if someone waits to kiss or even have sex they aren't really into you).
  • Taneil27
    Options
    I'm not a fan of this entitled thinking...the guy spent a few bucks so at minimum the woman needs to put out with a kiss (if not more)? Am I reading that correctly?

Yes, you read that correctly. It's not so much the exchange of dinner for a kiss, it's to send the signal that she's interested.

If I had a great time and she gives the cheek at the end of the night, it tells me she's not interested and I'll move on to someone else very, very shortly thereafter.

You would blow off a woman just because she gave you a kiss on the cheek and not on the lips? That's a low blow in my opinion. Maybe she wasn't comfortable to kiss on the lips just yet? I think a kiss on the cheek is sweet and respectful. If I wasn't interested, I don't think I'd give a kiss at all.
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    I don't think I've ever waiting until date #4 for the first kiss. It sounds like he's really, really into you if he's willing to wait this long.

Please explain this... I don't understand how waiting for a kiss is an indicator of being really into a woman.

I think what Mike means is that because he is willing to wait to kiss, he really likes her. If he wasn't so into her, he would be gone by now. But that is just what I infer from it!
  • Carl01
    Carl01 Posts: 9,370 Member
    Options
    I just want to say, be careful about applying rules and expectations on first dates. It is hard enough to find somebody, and getting immediately turned off because they didn't do a, b, or c is just going to make the search even more daunting.

This.

It's a nice list, great to generate discussion here. But I would caution against any hard and fast rules. Every person is different, every situation is different. Lasting relationships are rarely built from the results of a first date check list.

--P

Yes,it is not a cookie cutter factory and anyone trying to make it such is only doing themselves a disservice.
  • DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    Options
    I just passed date #3 last night and still no kiss... but I'm just now starting to really like this guy. :bigsmile:

Why no kiss after 3 dates? I figure that is at least 7-8 hours together. Don't you feel the physical attraction to want to kiss him?

A lot of guys would walk with no kiss after 3 dates. So I agree with Mike that he is very into you.
  • Mellie289
    Mellie289 Posts: 1,191 Member
    Options

Why no kiss after 3 dates? I figure that is at least 7-8 hours together. Don't you feel the physical attraction to want to kiss him?

A lot of guys would walk with no kiss after 3 dates. So I agree with Mike that he is very into you.
    Well, last night was just a spontaneous meet up to get frozen yogurt, and before that was lunch and a walk around an arboretum on a very hot day, so it's not like there was a good opportunity really.That's what happens when I'm in charge of things. :bigsmile:

This is definitely a case where there were no instant fireworks for me, but we have great conversations and a lot in common, so I wanted to see how things would go. We've spoken on the phone several times as well, and now I'm very attracted because of his personality. It has taken me about two weeks to get there though, so I haven't been putting out signals. I guess I'm lucky that he is interested and/or patient enough to be still making plans with me. Obviously, neither one of us places that much importance in a kiss on the first date (or 2 or 3).
  • Laura_Suzie
    Laura_Suzie Posts: 1,288 Member
    Options
    What does a good first date look like to you? Here's what it looks like to me. I thought about some of the common themes of good, very good and excellent first dates I've had over the years.

1. Pre-selection: This matters most. It is a hard art to master. Who you pick to actually be spending an extended amount of time with you is vital. I think it is ideal to know that the second you start that date, you're going to have enough to talk about and that you're going to have easy interactions. Good pre-selection makes the later items on this list much easier.

2. Showing up on time. This is something that is easy, but many people fail in this task. I feel that punctuality reduces uncertainty and anxiety.

3. Presentation: Appearance counts. For me, most women pass this. Doesn't always happen. One woman I went out with once had really greasy hair and looked tired. I think that men have a higher threshold in their appearance. We've gotta wear great shoes (particularly for an indoorsy, non athletic date), smell nice, etc.

4. Ambiance: Very dependent upon the activity chosen, but there should be some perceived pleasantry in the environment. A stimuli of the sense. Lighting can be that stimuli. Nature is another good one.

5. Spatial relations: This is what I am fanatical about. I like close proximity. Close proximity brings closeness in interactions. Close proximity allows for physical contact. Physical contact sets up a kiss. A kiss won't happen unless there's some preceding physical contact. What is best is when a woman finds a way to touch me. A nice touch on the arm. These touches should precede a hand hold, which precedes a kiss. Infants learn to walk before they learn to run. That's what this is all about. So whatever is done, close proximity is important.

6. The Conversation: Just needs to have ease of interaction. Laughter is always good.

7. The Kiss: This is the moment of truth. Were items 1-6 done correctly? If items 1-6 were done correctly, there should be a kiss that says that there's mutual attraction and both sides want more.

Damn... I really wish I lived in Texas right now. :wink: It's so refreshing to see a guy that knows what he wants.

To answer your question, as many of you know, I've only been on 2 dates with the same guy. From those dates I learned that #1 and #5 are important. I think a lot of it has to do with the guys confidence (read: NOT arrogance). I want him to wear the pants. If he asks me to go out with him, he should know beforehand what he wants to do. The guy I went out with did this wonderfully on the first date and then the second date was me trying to get him to make up his mind the whole time... so annoying.

#5 was also something this guy lacked. I think some shy guys (or unexperienced guys) fear touching a lady appropriately because they think it will seem like some big sexual advance. The worst thing that could happen if you try to hold a lady's hand is she pulls away, she isn't going to blow her rape whistle and mace you... but DO pay attention to her body language, that way your odds of getting shot down are lower. Eye contact is as important as physical contact, if not more, which goes back to confidence. Not making eye contact for long periods of time just reads socially inept and insecure.

Really, the best advice I can give to guys is to be yourself, put some thought and effort in your date, be confident, and don't be a p***y. If a girl says yes when you ask her out, she obviously likes you, so you don't need to act so damn insecure. You acting insecure and weird just makes her feel uncomfortable.

End rant.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    2. Showing up on time. This is something that is easy, but many people fail in this task. I feel that punctuality reduces uncertainty and anxiety.
    Sometimes DM you hit it on the buzzer...

Being on time is a huge deal for me. I hate being late and I hate when your running late. Woe betide you if you dont call me and tell me your running late and I'm left sitting there for more than 10 mins.....

This is important to me. I understand life happens so contact your date if you will be late. I would do the same out of courtesy and respect.

3. Presentation: Appearance counts. For me, most women pass this. Doesn't always happen. One woman I went out with once had really greasy hair and looked tired. I think that men have a higher threshold in their appearance. We've gotta wear great shoes (particularly for an indoorsy, non athletic date), smell nice, etc.
    I have to wear nice shoes? Really?

If there's obvious patches of mud on my DC's, I might scrub them off but there is no leather and tassels coming out from this guy.

Girls, are you looking at my shoes? My face is up here!

Agreed! :laugh: Now that I think about it, I have no nice shoes. :frown:
    5. Spatial relations: This is what I am fanatical about. I like close proximity. Close proximity brings closeness in interactions. Close proximity allows for physical contact. Physical contact sets up a kiss. A kiss won't happen unless there's some preceding physical contact. What is best is when a woman finds a way to touch me. A nice touch on the arm. These touches should precede a hand hold, which precedes a kiss. Infants learn to walk before they learn to run. That's what this is all about. So whatever is done, close proximity is important.

Physical touch is defintely one that cannot be misinterpreted
    6. The Conversation: Just needs to have ease of interaction. Laughter is always good.

Yep.
    7. The Kiss: This is the moment of truth. Were items 1-6 done correctly? If items 1-6 were done correctly, there should be a kiss that says that there's mutual attraction and both sides want more.
    [I have to say I don't see the imporance of #7 on a first date, and if I were you I wouldn't give up on going on a 2nd date because you don't get a kiss. Like it has been said many times in here, us fellas can't read minds and pick up on every hint. Not saying that you should ask for a kiss, but if you don't get one it doesn't mean the guy isn't interested.

Yes! Just because he didn't kiss on the 1st date doesn't mean he isn't interested. Unless there is a sign, like in the movie Hitch with Allegra and Albert during the fumbling of the keys scene. :laugh:
  • AnnaPixie
    Options
    I have to wear nice shoes? Really?

If there's obvious patches of mud on my DC's, I might scrub them off but there is no leather and tassels coming out from this guy.

Girls, are you looking at my shoes? My face is up here!

:laugh: I'm not looking at your shoes. It's the last thing on my mind. But having ironed, clean clothes and a nice smell is important :bigsmile:
  • DMZ_1
    Options
    :laugh: I'm not looking at your shoes. It's the last thing on my mind. But having ironed, clean clothes and a nice smell is important :bigsmile:

It has been my experience that women are into shoes. Their own and ours, but more so their own. I think clean clothes and a nice smell are expectations from both sides.
  • AnnaPixie
    Options

It has been my experience that women are into shoes. Their own and ours, but more so their own. I think clean clothes and a nice smell are expectations from both sides.

Oh! I am definitely into my own shoes!! :bigsmile: But I've never met a man to be fussed about his own shoes, so I've learnt to not hate him for it.....:laugh:
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options

Oh! I am definitely into my own shoes!! :bigsmile: But I've never met a man to be fussed about his own shoes, so I've learnt to not hate him for it.....:laugh:

I never look at a guys shoes unless they stand out from his over all outfit.
  • flimflamfloz
    flimflamfloz Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    All the tattooed girls with piercing and colored hair I've been hitting on have laughed at my ironed shirt, clean clothes and black shoes.
  • BelMckenzie
    Options

I never look at a guys shoes unless they stand out from his over all outfit.

I agree, I don't look at his shoes unless they stand out.
  • DMZ_1
    Options
    All the guy advice websites and mags say women pay attention to your shoes, so wear shoes that she'll like.
  • poncho33
    poncho33 Posts: 1,511
    Options
    All the guy advice websites and mags say women pay attention to your shoes, so wear shoes that she'll like.

I've also heard this a billion times