Hypo-what's your worst symptom?

Options
emstethem
emstethem Posts: 263 Member
I know that this is a touchy topic, but let's be real here. Thyroid disease is AWFUL, and we are not alone in our suffering...:( My worst symptom is constipation (probably equal with moodiness...) . What's your most troublesome symptom?

Replies

• imagine76960306
    Options
    Mine is hair loss. For some reason I lose a lot of hair on my right side of my head. I do play with my hair a lot and I'm right handed so that may exacerbate the issue, but I find clumps of my hair all over my house. I've upped my dose of levothyroxine and it really hasn't diminished. My nails are also bad-they split and chip. Wish I could get some sort of miracle drug or supplement...
  • AlexandraLynch
    Options
    soft nails, hair texture and breakage, and a huge difficulty initiating anything. I mean, even getting up out of my chair to go do the dishes or whatever. It's not that I don't have energy or I hurt too much, I just can't actually get up and go do.
  • tecallahan
    tecallahan Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Vertigo is probably my worse, followed closely by insomnia and constipation.
  • TXBelle1174
    TXBelle1174 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Fatigue... constant, unyielding, could literally sit on my *kitten* all day fatigue
    Pain - muscle and body aches
    Constipation
    Brain Fog

I have several others but those are the ones that effect me the most, on a daily basis.
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Lack of energy is hands down, the worst part of it that disrupts my life. When I'm on too low of a dose, I will not do a single thing other than go to work and then come home and sleep. Life is no fun when you sleep 12 hours a day and never do anything other than work, eat, and take a shower, and then get exhausted from just that. No fun at all.

The second worst is the constipation, but if I eat a certain amount of fiber and take some probiotics I can usually get it going again within a day or two. It's just uncomfortable, and it makes traveling absolute hell.

I can deal with hair falling out and weak nails, because those are cosmetic issues to me, but when I am too tired to see my friends and I feel like a giant sack of *kitten*, it ruins me.
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Vertigo is probably my worse, followed closely by insomnia and constipation.

I had vertigo for awhile... I thought it was due to some migraine meds I was on at the time, but it probably had something to do with being hypo too... I was so disoriented, and driving was the worst.
  • debbylee22
    debbylee22 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Vertigo is the most debilitating; followed closely by joint pain.
    Lack of energy, intolerance to cold & hot, constipation, heart-rate slow-down, slow metabolism...dry skin, thinning hair.
    Although many of my symptoms are from adrenal fatigue, which I'm being treated for now & finding a huge difference.

Constipation: magnesium citrate capsules daily help a lot! And the virgin coconut oil also helps with that.

Its so important to get proper treatment for your symptoms. Don't let your Dr treat you for TSH only! Read up @ stopthethyroidmadness.com
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I don't know where I've been living, but I've had vertigo for years and never realized it had to do with thyroid (probably my own fault, because I never brought it up to the doctor/thought it wasn't... that abnormal?).

So I guess I'd say: vertigo, difficulty losing weight, and sparsity of hair IN MY EYEBROWS.

It's very vain, and I'm lucky that my hair is so thick that, if anything, my hair looks better with this constant "thinning"... but my eyebrows are such an embarrassment for me. (my profile pic is with them heavily filled in by a professional...)
  • fushigi88
    Options
    Insomnia. Oftentimes I'm awake until 4AM. I usually only get about 4-5 hours of sleep a night. Very slow metabolism, dry skin, joint pain and vertigo are all a close second.
  • nakiarhall
    nakiarhall Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    weight gain
  • tecallahan
    tecallahan Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    On VERTIGO - I've been to every ENT, had every test on my ears, even went to be studied at Emory. No one could figure out why I have vertigo and no one knew how to get rid of it. It would just come randomly -- nothing I did or didn't do made it happen.

When I went to my ND for the first time in January, he did a 1.5 hour interview asking me about all aspects of my health and my body. I mentioned I had vertigo -- and said it might be Meniere's disease. He laughed and said that's what doctor's call vertigo when they don't know what to do. He felt strongly that chronic vertigo was a symptom of hypothyroidism.

As I was going through getting my Armour dosage regulated, I had persistent vertigo - just about weekly. I am now on 2 grains of Armour daily and have not had vertigo for 6 weeks. I will not say I am cured yet -- as I have gone this long in the past without vertigo, but I am hopeful.
  • foss44
    foss44 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    bump to read later
  • Cruxthemystic
    Cruxthemystic Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Mine was being sensitive to cold. Would take super hot showers and wrap up in a blanket every night. That has gotten better. Now it's muscle pains and weakness.
  • rickthexpreacher
    rickthexpreacher Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    T.b.h. I don't really know what symptoms go with hypothyroidism (is that the right one-under active?).
    I have several other medical issues and so really only recognised the difficulty of losing weight as having a thyroid problem.Lack of energy is a major problem for me but as I have apnea, I've always assumed it to be that. Dry skin I put down to the steroids I have to take & brittle nails I just didn't bother to think about since I was a serial nail biter 15 years ago. Perhaps my problem has been that the dodgy thyroid has worsened pre-existing conditions. Certainly when my medication went up from 50m to 100m 10 days ago, I have less compulsion to sneak a quick nap or 20. I also blamed giving up smoking 4 years ago as being responsible for a lot of the irritating things but on reflection that was almost certainly wrong.
    And of course, at 65, I should expect things not to work quite so well. I should expect it but I don't because 65 is the new 45 and I'm b**gered if I will bow down to age.

Rick
  • survivor1952
    survivor1952 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Before I started on Synthroid I was freezing cold, I mean ice cold hands & feet, shivering, always in a sweater or wrapped in a blanket. And I was sleeping 12+ hours a day. Now i still get tired but not sleeping my life away. I still get cold sometimes but it is not constant. I had gained a lot of weight quickly after having my Isthmus removed. Since starting Synthroid I have lost the weight I gained and am on the path to losing more.
  • dschavers
    dschavers Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Vertigo and being cold ALL the time.
  • miracle4me
    miracle4me Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Vertigo is the most debilitating; followed closely by joint pain.
    Lack of energy, intolerance to cold & hot, constipation, heart-rate slow-down, slow metabolism...dry skin, thinning hair.
    Although many of my symptoms are from adrenal fatigue, which I'm being treated for now & finding a huge difference.

Constipation: magnesium citrate capsules daily help a lot! And the virgin coconut oil also helps with that.

Its so important to get proper treatment for your symptoms. Don't let your Dr treat you for TSH only! Read up @ stopthethyroidmadness.com

THANK YOU!
    I did not know what was causing the vertigo and it is so severe at times I have to hold my husband's hand to stay balanced just to walk. I cannot judge the difference even walking down a small step at times it looks like a step is a very long distance down and I feel silly when it is not. I have so many of the symptoms except for eye brow loss but my hair has thinned also but very long 22 inches. I already knew I was battling Fibro, hypothyroid, Chronic Fatigue, Hypoglycemia, Adrenal Gland Fatigue, lymphedema in my wrists, arms, ankles I will not bore you with the other health crisis's. I truly believe hypothyroid that I started out with a over active thyroid and could eat anything I wanted as much as I wanted and never gained weight. After a miscarriage it turned under active. I had many miscarriages in early trimester and then in 5th month. I started out with 1 little yellow synthyroid pill that gave me energy and I was able to lose weight easily however within a few months the Dr. was increasing my Synthyroid. I gradually was up to 5 synthyroid pills a day. My health woes all started with thyroid issues. My health woes now include heart respiratory problems, and spine pain so severe it literally takes my breath away the Fibro is brutal. I do not go to the Dr anymore the depression got too much for me to hear "No known cause or cure, for Fibro,Chronic Fatigue,lymphedema. I am giving myself hope with my supplements and adjusting my diet removing sugar,flour, gluten, lowering carbs and calories. I have seen an improvement since I stopped being an experiment for Doctors "next pill to see if it works". The depression is lessening because of MFP I do not feel alone anymore. I do get discouraged when I read when the average person on the same diet loses 5 lbs people with hypothyroid will lose 1 LB. This means we have to work 5 times harder than the average calorie counter. I am losing inches but getting the scale to move is slow going. Edema is another battle so I have to restrict sodium to 1500 instead of 2500.

Thank You OP for posting this, and Thank You to everyone that responded :flowerforyou: because now I really know I am not the only one with these symptoms. I have never had dry skin in my life and now I find myself slathering on the face creams. The worse symptom for me is hypothyroid caused my miscarriages, weight gain, and opened the door to many serious health issues.

Anyone who wants a Friend who will understand the suffering my profile is open just send me a Friend invite. Sorry I am married and do have a Friend list that is all gals,no offense guys but I have 135 women and I pity the man who has to listen to our Girl talk. :laugh: This would be like me joining a all man Friend List listening to the Men talk. :noway:
  • mariahealthyfit
    Options
    Being tired and finding it hard to concentrate on completing anything in a proper time frame! Just wish I could get better!
  • luckylilypants
    Options
    Vertigo and dizziness. I hate it so much. The dizziness makes me feel like I'm going to pass out. Then I have all this anxiety that I'm going to pass out when I'm alone at home or even in a public place were I'd have to rely on the kindness of strangers to help me. This feeling is pretty rare now that my Armour dose is on target, but it took years to get there. Other than that, I'm vain and it bothers me A LOT that I've gained 60lbs since I started having thyroid problems.
  • leannems
    leannems Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    the hip pain. Constant gnawing hip pain. It's gone now with the meds, but if I'm late on my dose, it's right there smacking me in the face (or hip).