Hypo-what's your worst symptom?

Options

Replies

• tokataro
    tokataro Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if this is a hypo thing or not- do you guys get really bad sugar/carb crashes? Mine are terrible, and especially now that I'm restricting calories I have to eat mostly protein/fat for breakfast or I will crash so bad I start guzzling soda or candy just because it's the fastest way to get rid of that terrible feeling. I'm not diabetic, so I assume this is probably the hypo.
  • happycauseIride
    happycauseIride Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    I haven't seen any one mention Water Retention yet. That is my worst problem. I ate over my cals by 500 on Saturday and gained 4 pounds. In one day!! Having to re-tie my shoes every day because my feet are swollen in the morning and then go down later in the day.

Add hair loss, constipation and dry skin to my list too.
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    Exhaustion.

I'm tired all the freaking time.

I think I could handle the chills, the hair loss, the water retention, the brittle nails, etc. etc. etc. if only I didn't feel so TIRED. Ugh.
  • notabrat1
    notabrat1 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Mine is definitely the intolerance for cold. I don't have it every day...but I do every week. I can be dressed in 3 layers with 2 blankets on and still have my teeth chattering so loud it gives me a headache.:sad:

Second is a tie between my hair falling out and brittle/breaking/peeling finger nails. :cry:

I also have many of the other symptoms of which brain fog would be the worst...but no one likes dry, itching skin either:grumble:

I'm thankful that so many others have posted here that they have similar symptoms. And similar problems with Dr's not listening/doing anything about those symptoms. I really appreciate this level of support:smile:

Thank you all for your input:bigsmile: and I am always looking for friends to help with this journey:laugh: , so please add me:flowerforyou:
  • Assassins_Angel88
    Options
    Fatigue and my excessive weight gain. Though now I'm on medication I've got nausia ontop of it T_T
  • Huppmanj
    Huppmanj Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Depression.

The depression stems from the weight gain which led to a lack of motivation. I know I should be doing something, but I just can't find the drive.
  • Huppmanj
    Huppmanj Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Is it just your synthroid that is causing the weight loss? I laugh when I read the label that states that this drug should not be used as a weight loss supplement. My dose is up to 200mcg, which is high according to my Dr., and I just keep gaining weight!
  • dalexander82
    dalexander82 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    The lack of energy, hair shedding and the problems I suffer with my weight. There are some days when I just want to cry my eyes, ugh...
  • dalexander82
    dalexander82 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    hypothyroidism, as im typing this im feeling like if im a fall out my seat...
    Weight gain, Insomnia, I feel cold a lot, I have Dry skin, sometimes Im constipated, irregular periods,
    paying attention, I get irritated/annoyed easily, slow metabolism, brittle nails, Dry Feet, losing hair, but only when i shower my hair falls out when Im washing it....

Im not taking medication, I dont have a doctor since I've been living in Florida yet.. and trying to look around for a free clinic
    havent found one that is near by and I dont drive :(.

What area do you live in, I am in Orlando.
  • kristy6ward
    kristy6ward Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Water retention used to be the worst for me, but I don't have much of a problem with it anymore. Hair loss, thin eye brows, cold hands and weight loss.

To be honest though, when I read the symptom list at Stopthemadness I thought it was insane. Something wrong with you? Just chock it up to being hypothyroid. I still think that, there are so many factors that could be playing a part.
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    Water retention used to be the worst for me, but I don't have much of a problem with it anymore. Hair loss, thin eye brows, cold hands and weight loss.

To be honest though, when I read the symptom list at Stopthemadness I thought it was insane. Something wrong with you? Just chock it up to being hypothyroid. I still think that, there are so many factors that could be playing a part.

There isn't a symptom on that list that I don't have. :P
  • miracle4me
    miracle4me Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if this is a hypo thing or not- do you guys get really bad sugar/carb crashes? Mine are terrible, and especially now that I'm restricting calories I have to eat mostly protein/fat for breakfast or I will crash so bad I start guzzling soda or candy just because it's the fastest way to get rid of that terrible feeling. I'm not diabetic, so I assume this is probably the hypo.

To the Poster who asks the question above.
    I am not diabetic Thank God, but I have the reverse low blood sugar aka hypoglycemia.
    I have the identical symptoms as you described. In fact hypoglycemia is dangerous if I do not eat something every 3 hours my blood sugar crashes. When I eat fruit I balance it with protein otherwise the blood sugar goes up without protein but will come crashing down and leave you feeling more exhausted, and very hungry. I have kicked the sugar addiction and now only use nu-naturals nu-stevia. I do my best to track the carbs and only have them in the form of fruit, vegetables very seldom weight watchers bread.

When my blood sugar crashes 1st symptom is I get shaky,dizzy, extreme nausea hits me out of nowhere,I feel faint I have to lie down quickly or fall down. Before MFP I would drink a cola even a sip of it to bring my blood sugar back up again or something else with sugar. I know now that is not recommended orange juice just a few drinks will bring the blood sugar back up. Next time this happens eat protein like a piece of cheese with an apple and see if you feel better or just eat something that does not have sugar.

Another symptom is brain fog, I will just stare off into space my husband calls it zoning, sometimes I can catch myself doing it, of course it happens with hypothyroid also. I do not take meds and have every symptom mentioned here, but the meds have symptoms I cannot deal with. Synthyroid that little innocent yellow pill I started out with chewable, but the meds had to keep being increased after thyroid pills stopped working in a few months. I did much damage to my thyroid because of synthyroid according to what I have read. I refuse to be an experiment for Drs next pill, I do not trust them.

The vertigo is so bad for me when I step down a step or a stair I cannot judge the distance it looks far away and I feel so silly when I realize how tiny of a distance it is. I really believe the hypothyroid opened the door to many of my health problems like fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue, hypoglycemia, miscarriages, PCOS,lymphedema is blockage in the lymph nodes and I have it in my left wrist and arm, and ankles. Lymph Edema is the Edema water retention in the worse way, swelling that never goes down. There is no known cure.

I am too young to have all these health issues but I cannot control anything except the choices of eating healthy and doing the best I can to lose wieght. It gets so discouraging because everything I named above makes it extra hard to lose a lb and it is more than calories in and calories out! I have cut my calories and carbs drastically and still it is hard to get the scale number to go down.

What keeps me motivated is I have some of the best MFP Friends who rejoice over every lb with me and keep me encouraged to stay under calorie goal. I never would have continued without their motivation and love. I am so grateful for MFP. Thank You everyone who took the time to post here the symptoms of hypothyroid. Synthyroid I started out losing weight but like another poster said it had to keep being increased as the weight loss did not remain and with the lbs I had lost now added lbs to lose. Nothing changed with my diet at that time either. The insomina or falling asleep and waking after a few hours of sleep unable to go back to sleep is not fun either. The worse is never feeling rested, forgetting what energy feels like. Food never gives me energy. Chronic Fatigue I really believe started with hypothyroid. We are on MFP so we can control the one thing we can control our calories. I have battled hard for every lb I have lost and determined I will not be overweight anymore but realize it is a war with my own body.
  • Maymichelle
    Maymichelle Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Major Fatigue
    Slow to lose weight
    Eyebrows - they don't grow all the way & grow very random!
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I miss my eyebrows. I have half brows now. Used to have full ones in high school, I can tell from my passport picture.
  • jennco3
    jennco3 Posts: 72 Member
    Options

If I have too much caffine I get the shakes. I don't get hyper or anything just the shakes. But when It has run it course im more tired that usual.
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    insomnia, weight gain and inability to lose like I should be able, fatigue is the killer though
  • TXBelle1174
    TXBelle1174 Posts: 615 Member
    Options

I am not sure if this is what you mean but I am on a low carb diet and if I do not eat small snacks in between meals, I will definitely have a sugar crash. Keep berries or fruit nearby, they work as quickly as soda or candy and not as bad for you.
    Also, when I eat high amounts of sugar and/or carbs, especially bread or cake (OMG cake just about kills me) ... about 45 minutes to an hour later, you can't peel me out of bed. I crash HARD. I get exhausted to the point where I can't function. I must sleep. I am insulin resistant and I think this is related to that. I call it my "carb coma". Also if I eat a lot of carbs, not the healthy kind, I am talking pizza, fresh doughy bread, doughnuts, etc. I am in pain for the next two days. I am in pain anyway but after a carb binge, it is much worse for 2 - 7 days depending on how bad my rampage was. :frown:
  • ButterflyTyme
    Options
    I have experienced most of the symptoms listed here at one time or another, but I do find that when my meds are adjusted properly and I'm eating right the depression and exhaustion get a whole lot better. I have an intolerance for heat, mostly it seems like it affects my breathing somehow. I also have trouble sleeping, mostly because I feel like I have a walnut in my throat, and I have a limited number of comfortable positions where I don't feel like I'm being strangled. I have (had?) Graves, but had my thyroid radiated over a year ago. Dr. said it would shrink to the size of a raisin... he was wrong.
  • NocturnalGirl
    Options
    Lack of energy, bad skin and sleeping problems
  • moejo3
    moejo3 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Adrenal fatigue helped along by taking Thyroid meds and stress...diet does help but, am having a flare up now and it is awful body aches, exhausted, trouble focusing, and the hair loss was horrible at first but, I have gotten used to it now and am dealing with it