Replies

• sanoukfr
    Options
    Hello

Personne de France ici?
  • criticaldog
    criticaldog Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to update this, as I recently passed both my brown belt test in WTF TKD, as well as my 6th kyu test in Aikido. Work in progress, for sure!
  • Arianera
    Arianera Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Congrats CritialDog!

I'm Ari, currently studying Chinese Kempo.

I trained Goju Ryu in a small school that looked to Chinen-Senesi when I was teen. Spent 5 years or so as an uncoordinated dojo-rat, and was a green belt (5th kyu) when I left for college, and moved on to other interests. But times were different then, and rank came much slower.

I'm back to martial arts after a 20+ year hiatus courtesy of my younger son (now 10) catching the martial arts bug. We've been through a number of schools together over the last 3 1/2 years (I can tell you the whole saga if anyone's interested). Been with our current school about 6 months. My son just earned his purple belt and I am scheduled to test for purple belt in mid-December (this school's rainbow goes white, yellow, orange, purple, blue, high blue, green, high green, brown, high brown, (Jr-black), black - which is funny to me since I'm used to purple coming much higher in the sequence if it's used at all)

Looking forward to training with you all

• Out_of_Bubblegum
    Out_of_Bubblegum Posts: 2,220 Member
    Options
    I am a 4th dan black belt, Taekwondo - I have been training for 24 of the last 28 years, as I had a 4 year break when my youngest daughter was born.

• Lecterman
    Lecterman Posts: 97 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Blue belt in BJJ. Blue prajiet in Muay Thai
  • NitoMark
    Options
    Kendo, Sandan

I have been practicing kendo (Japanese fencing) since 2008. I currently hold the rank of 3-Dan.

I should be eligible to test for 4-Dan in 2016 as the mandatory minimal practice time is 3 years after 3-Dan promotion.

Any other kendo players here? I would love to hear from you.
  • aeribus
    aeribus Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Green belt in Yoshin Ryu Ju Jitsu and Brown Sr. (brown with a white stripe) in Hapkido
  • criticaldog
    criticaldog Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    aeribus, if I may ask... do you find much overlap in the methdology behind your Ju Jitsu and Hapkido?
  • victal
    victal Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad I found this group!

I have trained in shotokan karate for about 5 years. I'm a 2nd kyu ( brown belt with a white stripe), karate is a massive part of my life as my 5 year old son trains in Go Ju Ryu also, so there's lots of tournaments and gradings between us!!!
  • aeribus
    aeribus Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    aeribus, if I may ask... do you find much overlap in the methdology behind your Ju Jitsu and Hapkido?

Sorry, I'm just now seeing this. Yes, I do see quite a bit of overlap between the two. Partially since my Yoshin Ryu instructor also holds rank in Shorin Ryu, so he frequently taught striking in addition to traditional Ju Jitsu. However, Hap Ki Do was adapted from Daito Ryu Aiki-Ju jitsu so many of the joint locks are almost identical between the two arts.
  • tazman2369
    tazman2369 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    2brown Combat Ju-Jutsu
  • Arianera
    Options
    Welcome @tazman2369
  • tazman2369
    tazman2369 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    ty
  • rupertspenser
    rupertspenser Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Brown in shotokan and brown in budokan ninjutsu
  • j75j75
    j75j75 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Hey all, I know I don't post here often but I just had to make a little announcement; I earned my shodan in jujitsu on Friday night. It was pretty unexpected, and I almost feel unworthy as there is so much more for me to learn. But I am going to wear it proudly, and continue to learn and grow. This is only the beginning.
  • Arianera
    Options
    Congratulations @j75j75
  • RonRoff
    RonRoff Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Green belt Japanese Jiu Jitsu, white belt Wado Karate, white belt Brazilian Jiu Jitsu! :smile:
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Brown belt in Shorin-Ryu, Orange in Kodokan Judo, but absent for years. Just recently got back into a mixed style - never realized how much I missed this.
  • amycuz14
    amycuz14 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I was sure I posted before, but I don't see it LOL! I must not have, maybe a dream! I trained Goju Ryu for a few years, and then had to leave for surgery when I had just achieved green belt. When I returned the club had changed to Shotokan - difficult post-surgery for recovery (over a year and a half to get myself back) and a lot of new katas to learn...

However, after a long road back, with the support of an amazing coach, I just graded at the end of may for my purple belt in Shotokan karate! Over half-way to black. It's a long road yet, I'm not all back, but I'm training super hard and will achieve this.

Sounds like they might bring in BJJ for the adults in the fall too. While that makes me nervous, super excited to learn a new MA as well!
  • RonRoff
    RonRoff Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    RonRoff wrote: »
    Green belt Japanese Jiu Jitsu, white belt Wado Karate, white belt Brazilian Jiu Jitsu! :smile:

Update: i now hold a blue belt in japanese jiu jitsu, yellow in Wado Ryu karate and still white in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu :lol: