November 1st - Menopausal Mad Hatters Chatter :laugh:

Options

Replies

• hairsprayhon
    hairsprayhon Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    TA, someone told you this week that they could not tell that you had lost more than 50 pounds. WHAT is wrong with that person, are they a) blind b) so self centered they don't notice anything about anyone other than themselves or c)just pushing your buttons? I am glad that you ran into someone who acknowledged what everyone around you with eyes and a brain have noticed?
    Snoozie, inches are better than pounds and that belt doesn't lie, congrats. Your email plan sounds good. When I work at home, I work on two computers, one for documents and one for email. They are on opposite sides of the room and I need to get up and go from one to the other constantly, I need to figure out a similar plan for the office.
    How is that gorgeous red car doing? I read that it is a myth that red cars get more tickets, but drive safely.
    Tonya, are you burning lots of calories chasing after those really cute puppies? Getting to ups today! I MISSED THE NAMES OF THE PUPPIES, Buzz and >>>?
    Seehee, it sounds like those vacation pounds were worth it and will be quickly gone. I think vacation travel is different from work travel. If the time comes when you want to take that "terrific part time job" you will be able to develop a routine that will allow you to continue your fitness efforts. Back in the day when I was fit and traveled I would make time for the gym or pool every day. The last time I travelled for work, a year and a half ago, I never bothered to find the gym and when I went to the pool, it was to float under the waterfall. It is all about choices.
    Body Pump update, after much resistance, I decided to see if I could join in when the class jumped. I tried it at home first to make sure I would not fall over and it didn't hurt my ankles. I now jump with the rest. For so much effort, I am still a classic example of "white girls can't jump" but there is some space between my feet and the floor. There was also some serious boob bouncing going on! I just moved my bra over to the tighest hook and I am secure!
    Happy Wednesday Hatters!
  • cbmcphillips
    cbmcphillips Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    @ snoozie - thanksgiving is 22 Nov here in the US.... will go for a walk in the morning - to count my blessings - and to burn the cals b4 the turkey enters......

See you all soon....

Carol
  • Snooozie
    Snooozie Posts: 3,447 Member
    Options
    ROFL @ Janet.. glad to hear the girls are secure.. at least your bra doesn't squeak! huge congrats on making that jump (literally!) great job!! And thanks for the tip about travellig; I'm going away in January and although I'm not a great swimmer, I do love the water and can flap and kick my arm and legs enough to resemble a crawl to do laps in the pool every day.. or at least tread water every day.. it may sound stupid, but it never actually occurred to me to use a pool on vacation for exercise.. probably because i've never exercised at all before! To be honest the most exercise I got last year was floating thru the pool to the swim up bar. :embarassed: I tried to join the beach walkers a few times in the morning, but I couldn't keep up their pace... and found walking on a "slant" near the beach very hard on my back.. but now I'm kinda excited thinking I can get some swimming in to burn off the extra margaritas I KNOW are gonna be consumed.. thanks!

cbm.. 22nd.. oh.. thanks lol.. i thought it was this weekend for some reason.. good plan on the walk afore hand.. we always had to go for one AFTER dinner...only because it was the only thing that would keep us all from curling up in various couches and chairs and falling asleep! I blame the turkey of course.. not my own laziness lol. :sad:

Tonya... pie travels well ..... just sayin' :bigsmile:

PS Janet.. think the pups were christened Buzz and Delilah?? (looking to Tonya for confirmation... ?)
  • tonyacoursey
    tonyacoursey Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

It has been busy around work for the past week or so. That is usually where I get my computer time in. Seems like at home I am either outside or asleep on the couch..:laugh:

Tomorrow is our Thanksgiving dinner for work. Rick is smoking a turkey, I am making my infamous stuffing and my famous green beans. The beans are requested every year and when someone sees that I haven't signed up to bring them.....they sign me up:bigsmile: We are also frying a turkey in the morning so I will let you know if it turns out better than the one Rick did this past weekend. Shhhh don't tell him but his first attempt wasn't that great. It was a little dry and lacking the seasoning. Give him a piece of meat to smoke and he knocks it out of the park... but this wasn't so great. Good thing I have 6 more turkey's for him to practice on.

Buzz and Delilah are the puppies names. I really wanted to name him Rowdy because he is but I got vetoed. Then Rick came up with Buzz cause he is always buzzing around...that boy goes wide open all the time. Poor Delilah is the calm one and a little bit persnickety. I do have a feeling that no matter how hard he tries....she is going to be the alpha :wink:

Next week for Thanksgiving it will be just Rick and I and the puppies on Thanksgiving day as all the kids will be gone to their in-laws, parents, and grandparents houses. Our Thanksgiving will probably be on Saturday.

Janet, I need the name of that bra! I have lost 41 lbs and not one ounce has disappeared from the boobs:sad: I swear I am going to get Rick to lift them up while I am on the scale to see what I REALLY weigh:blushing:

Snoozie, I'll get Cassie to make you that pie or better yet just come down next week and you can eat all the Thanksgiving you want!
  • cbmcphillips
    Options
    @ snoozie / @ tonya....

some of the geese stopped by Jersey in their travels - and left a mark yesterday... driver's side windshield - and i was driving... ugh...:angry::grumble: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :sad:

"angry birds" revenge.... went for gas and the attendant took care of the "mess"....:wink:

see you soon.... Carol
  • 1slimlinda
    1slimlinda Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Things have slowed down enough to stop in here and catch up. I realize how important you all are and that I miss you.I read the posts, (takes awhile)Alot has happened , good and bad! I am sorry I have been away so long. I was thrown off for a while. Things got a bit hairy at home.....I found 2 fleas on one of my cats a few weeks ago. Well, me and bugs don't mix so I spent days washing and vacuuming and washing and washing. I freaked out for a while and now when I walk toward the animals, they run cause they think I am going to throw them into the suds again or spray them with something! I have not seen anymore pests. Thank God! Then my plantar fasciitis flared and is still causing alot of heel pain. Makes me tired!
    I work in a hospital, and with the political changes hospitals are dealing with, its making our jobs increasingly more difficult. Morale is very low at work. I am an UP person so I am trying not to fall down. I saw it happening when I would have rather stayed on the couch, than go to Zumba! I LOVE Zumba! I was making making comfort foods, and not moving like I usually do. This takes a toll, and if you get into a pattern like this, it is hard to not want to stay in it. BUT....my body then starts to have pain all over and things stiffen up. Worse, things feel swollen and the dreaded scale starts to climb; which it did, and I know enough to gather myself and come here to get back on track. I am back after not doing Zumba or Body Pump for 3 weeks and I am so grateful for all my wonderful friends here. Here, I find inspiration from all of you, that struggle like all of us, but can depend on a kind word and know that after visiting , I will be renewed with a sense that I am not alone and that anything is possible. With Thanksgiving around the corner, I want to say Thank you to all the wonderful people here. Happy Thanksgiving! Linda
  • hairsprayhon
    Options
    Snoozie, I am not a strong swimmer either. When I do laps I do backstrokes alternated with a unique version of the Australian crawl, which is a sideways stroke. But when I visit my Dad in Florida and want to burn some calories in the small community pool, I do my own version of water aerobics which involves lots of water running and jumping and intervals. After a while of that I hold onto the step ladder in deep water and stretch out and then kick as hard as I can for 90 seconds, then do a small flutter kick for a couple of minutes until my heart rate gets back down, then kick and repeat for 20 minutes. It is a really good cardio work out. I sense that people are looking at me like I am crazy, but without my glasses I am pretty blind which is why I never worried about how I looked in a bathing suit even when I weighed more than 300 pounds! I could never see the looks on anyone's faces, so I didn't feel self conscious and as soon as I got out of the water I covered up and then put my glasses back on.
    Tonya, how did your "infamous" stuffing turn out. I didn't offer a recipe because despite my advocacy of natural foods, I use boxed stove top stuffing. I always bake it and put it in the oven as soon as I take the turkey out. But first I add some of the cajun seasoning and turkey drippings to the top of the stuffing. Not what I would call a healthy choice, but my family loves it and I only make it a few times a year. When i made some a few weeks ago, I skipped the turkey drippings and added chopped apples (in the skin) and fresh mushrooms. I can resist the mashed potatoes and gravy and the sweet potatoes and marshmallows and I don't like pie (rather have a cookie) but I can not resist stuffing. And coming from Baltimore with Polish inlaws, I also can not resist another Thanksgiving tradition-sauerkraut and kielbasa. This year I am hoping to find a spicy turkey sausage that I can substitute without my family rebelling.
    Carol, bird droppings are supposed to be good luck! do you do your Thanksgiving walk alone or with family?
    We should come up with a Hatter play list of songs to highlight our gratitude. I will start with a new one then an oldie-what are your thank you songs?
    The Wanted Glad You Came
    Sly and the Family Stone Thank You for letting me be myself again.
  • tonyacoursey
    tonyacoursey Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Good Morning ladies,

Whew, what a day yesterday. It was a busy but fun day. Even the "Bimbo" decided to play nice.

Janet- lol the infamous stuffing was a HUGE hit. My secret recipe.....4 boxes of Stove Top cornbread stuffing, 1 onion, apple with skin, and 2 celery stalks all diced fine. Saute them until translucent. Meanwhile make the stuffing according to package directions. Mix all ingredients with a can of Cream of Chicken soup and bake at 350 for about 30 minutes....I took ideas from a few recipes and just made it up as I went along. It was all gone before everyone was through with seconds!

Carol, You have attendants? Wow, that would be cool. I always try to get Rick to drive my car the day it needs gas..:bigsmile:
    As for the Deer, we have plenty of them here and even a few in my neighborhood. They wreak havoc on some of my plants and bushes.

There is a lake in my business park and we have all kinds of critters in addition to the geese.
  • cbmcphillips
    Options
    @ hairspray - i had forgotten about the "good luck".... but does that apply when it hits your field of vision????:noway: ....
    and the play list sounds great.... gotta think of "thankful songs".....

@ tonya - in Jersey wer'e not allowed to pump our own gas.....:cry::sad: :bigsmile: .......do a google for "crazy laws"......

and I always bring my swimsuit on vacation - better to have and not need.... i'm such a fish.... but how can that be if i'm a leo? - (cats/ water)... and hence my love of nice things.....

and I always walk alone - the men just get in the way :wink: have a different cardio workout with the hubby......:love::blushing: ....

but do have a playlist with "mad hatter music"..., so you all come along for the walks....:smile:

See you soon... Carol
  • Snooozie
    Options
    Morning Hatters!

Walked off a lot of calories yesterday doing some shopping; and got a new bra (those things ain't cheap so when they go 40% off.. time to grab one.. forgot to check it for squeaks tho LOL .. survived my first Christmas get together - but barely... it was a short one thankfully, just an open house drop in type; did a little damage but not too bad... plan to burn off the rest today with lots of scrubbing floors and gathering stuff to throw out. Need to do a big grocery stock up as well but not brave enough to shop 2x in a row so that will be tomorrow's plan... will eat up some of the stuff in the freezer and cupboard today!

Hope everyone is having a good weekend! A few notes before brekkie calls!

TA: know you have some vacation time coming up this week.. hope you enjoy every minute and that the little one is mending well!

Cbm sorry about the windshield.. we only send em south to give our own a break LOL.. wowsa on the no self serve at the pumps!! Here its hard to find a full serve station anymore; when I was on crutches I searched high and low and did manage to find one..but weird law for sure!

Linda - welcome back ...good to have you home in the Hatters! Sounds like you had a rough time; sometimes you just gotta do what ya gotta do to get thru something.. we all undestand as we've all been there at some point or another! Congrats on finding your way back to the path; we missed ya - and together, we WILL all accomplish our goals!

Hairspray: LOL @ the glasses.. before my eye surgery I was exactly the same... now that I can see without em in the one eye, this could be a little scary! Fortunately, one of the good things about getting older (for me) is that I care far less what other people might be thinking of me LOL.. so I'll have no qualms splashing my way into a few calorie burning movements this time! Love the running and jumping idea.. I tried an aqua fit class in Mexico but found the kicking off the ladder hard on my back.. but I can absolutely flap my arms and legs enough to get me across the pool.. thanks for the great tip! sauerkraut and kielbasa??? INVITE ME!!! we love both, and in the summer often bbq kielbasa slices as an appy lol.. served with a little hot mustard.. yummmm! and growing up in Montreal, my dad used to take us to the Mtl pool hall, famous for it's "steamies" which were hot dogs steamed and served piled with saurkraut and mustard, or piles of coleslaw on top LOL.. now I'm craving saurkraut... where's my grocery iist?

Tonya - LOL @ the bimbo playing nice!! Glad the stuffing turned out great; I didn't share our recipe cause quite frankly.. it's pretty weird lol.. we put mashed potatoes in with the bread, along with bacon drippings, celery, onions and a few other strange items.. and we bake it in a pan separately from the bird.. we get the crunchy top for those who like it and the softer inside for those who prefer that... everyone always fights over the stuffing in our place too... poor bird.. must feel a little left out sometimes!

Time 2.. hope all is well in your world my friend... miss yappin at ya!

OK.. tummy is actually grumbling so better get some brekkie into me.. have a great day Hatters!
  • TArnold2012
    TArnold2012 Posts: 929 Member
    Options

but this wasn't so great. Good thing I have 6 more turkey's for him to practice on.

Tis a cajun skill for sure. I will say if you can find a Cajun injector that helps greatly. It will add some calories but the taste is amazing. I like the butter flavor but lots of flavors to choose from.
  • TArnold2012
    Options

I work in a hospital, and with the political changes hospitals are dealing with, its making our jobs increasingly more difficult. Morale is very low at work. I am an UP person so I am trying not to fall down. I saw it happening when I would have rather stayed on the couch, than go to Zumba! I LOVE Zumba! I was making making comfort foods, and not moving like I usually do. This takes a toll, and if you get into a pattern like this, it is hard to not want to stay in it. BUT....my body then starts to have pain all over and things stiffen up. Worse, things feel swollen and the dreaded scale starts to climb; which it did, and I know enough to gather myself and come here to get back on track. I am back after not doing Zumba or Body Pump for 3 weeks and I am so grateful for all my wonderful friends here.

Sorry to hear this. My son in law has been diagnosed with epilepsy in the last year and already these new changes have caused two of his doctors to quit practicing.. Not sure where this will all end but suspect its not going to be a good place we arrive at :grumble:

On the positive welcome back, that is one of the best parts of being apart of this wonderful group, being about to come and go as needed without judgement. Good luck and stay strong
  • TArnold2012
    Options
    So after logging yesterday I decided I had to have some skinny cow dreamy clusters. Then this morning when getting coffee I remembered I didn't log yesterdays. So I updated yesterdays food log this morning. This really gave a good visual of how quickly things can add up to "You would weigh went from 237.6 lbs to 239.7 lbs in 5 weeks". That is about 210 calories a day more with the coffee and clusters. Of course that is if you eat the same each day but it does give a good idea what 200 extra calories a day can do over time. My goal this week was 5 lbs, not sure I am going to hit that as we had Thanksgiving at school and a wedding shower the same day at school this week on the SAME DAY :noway: I didn't do horrible but I didn't do as good as I could have, but considering how I would have handled them in the past I am happy with the outcome. Now back to salads as much as possible this week in hopes of countering some of the damage that will be done Thursday.

First afternoon of the holiday was spent getting what we call bellringers for 6th grade SS and Science designed and ready to go through January 11th. Today I am working on 7th grade. I have a plan for the week that if all goes as planned will end with lesson plans, activities, bellringers and grading all completed through January 11 so that I can enjoy December without having to stress over class prep. I want to have weekends free to spend with family and friends and NOT tied to the computer working. So far all is on track :happy:

Wishing everyone a great weekend !!!

Oh and I am in the market for another new bra over break also. I have now lost 3 bra sizes from a 46 needing a 48 to a 40 now :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • Snooozie
    Options
    Just home from groceries and popping in afore starting chores..

TA great plan on getting as much done as you can afore hand so December will hopefully be a little less stressed.. I hear ya on the calories.. I recently upped mine 150 a day .. have given it 10 days but I'm scaling back to only 50 extra a day now as I appear to be gaining a wee bit; think I'll need to do a little calorie cycling beteen work day sand rest days as I burn off a lot more some days than others. I remember a few weeks back you were mentioning craving carbs.. I just went thru that this past week.. which could explain some of the uppage lol.. but it was weird it was like i couldnt get enough! Thankfully it's faded now but for a few days it was like what's going onnnnnnnnn!

I have a party coming up on the 23rd and we're all bringing something... my sister anounced yesterday she's bringing these new ducle ee luche salt kissed brownies that won a TV show here (home cooks who are picked have their product distributed commerically in a local store). I looked them up today... omg lol.. and the menu is pasta for that night.. so I will have to plan carefully.. thankfully I finsih nights that morning, so plan to have a good breakfast when i wake up around 3pm, before going LOL.. and I offered to be designated driver so that will ensure no alcoholic calories... will make a healthy home made dip and grab a veggie tray for my appy contribution so I think that'll have me covered.. kinda nice not to have to panic (course its only one night ..lol.. not getting too cocky as its early days still! :bigsmile:
  • seehe
    seehe Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    Thanking songs? How about Andrew Gold's "Thank You For Being A Friend: :

Thank you for being a friend
    Traveled down the road and back again
    your heart is true you're a pal and a confidant

I'm not ashamed to say
    I hope it always will stay this way
    My hat is off, won't you stand up and take a bow

And if you threw a party
    Invited everyone you knew
    You would see, the biggest gift would be from me
    and the card attached would say,

Thank you for being a friend....

If it's a car you lack
    I'd surely buy you a cadillac
    Whatever you need, anytime of the day or night

I'm not ashamed to say
    I hope it always will stay this way
    My hat is off, won't you stand up and take a bow

And when we both get older
    With walking canes and hair of gray
    Have no fear, even though it's hard to hear
    I will stand real close and say,

(I want to thank you)...

And when we die and float away
    Into the night, the Milky Way
    You'll hear me call, as we ascend
    I'll see you there, then once again

And I wish to thank all of you wonderful MMHatters for being such wonderfully inspirational and supportive friends :-)
  • Snooozie
    Options
    Back at ya Seehee.. and all the Hatters - thanks for being there for me to "Lean on!"

Sometimes in our lives, we all have pain, we all have sorrow.
    But if we are wise, we know that there's always tomorrow.
    Lean on me, when you're not strong and I'll be your friend.
    I'll help you carry on, for it won't be long 'til I'm gonna need somebody
    to lean on.

Please swallow your pride, if have things you need to borrow.
    For no one can fill those needs that you won't let show.

You just call on me brother when you need a hand.
    We all need somebody to lean on.
    I just might have a problem that you'll understand.
    We all need somebody to lean on.

Lean on me when you't not strong, and I'll be your friend.
    I'll help you carry on, for it won't be long 'til I'm gonna' need
    somebody to lean on.

If there is a load you have to bear that you can't carry.
    I'm right up the road, I'll share your load if you just call me.
  • hairsprayhon
    Options
    Linda, There have been many times when I thought about sleeping through Body Pump, but i tell myself if Linda can do it, then I can do it. So I KNOW that you will be kicking back into gear with both Body Pump and Zumba. Good luck with the work morale issue, I hope your UPness will let you break through those rough feelings.
    Hatters, thanks for posting the thank you songs, I hope to see more of the them, so I can have a playlist for Thursday!
    Right now the song that is going through my head is from Toy Story

When the road looks rough ahead
    And you're miles and miles
    From your nice warm bed
    Just remember what your old pal said
    Boy, you've got a friend in me
    You've got a friend in me
    You've got troubles, well I've got 'em too
    There isn't anything I wouldn't do for you
    We stick together and we see it through

Your friend, Janet
  • Snooozie
    Options
    Morning Hatters!

I'm guessing it's a short work week for everyone as your Thanksgiving is coming up? Gotta love those 4 day weeks.. and I can join in with the party this time as I start midnights tonight, but only have to do 4 since I took the last 3 off with vacation days LOL.. and no more til next year.. yay!

This shift stressed me out last time with my eating choices and my logging; this time I'm not going to let that happen; I'm just going to make good choices, log everything I eat and not worry about what day to log it in ..so expect my diary to look a little wonky! My experiment with upping my calories did not work; I gained two pounds so I reduced it back to where I was losing (I was nodding as I read your post TA...about how a few hundred calories a day can add up... !) I will eat more if I get HUNGRY at work, as I know I burn off more calories - but will make sure its HUNGER driving me... I may change my screen saver to that little ditty "If hunger isn't the problem, eating is not the answer!". I already have my task reminder set for every 30 minutes to GET UP! and have set a goal to do a few laps around the building each night. Don't expect the couple of pounds to be gone by my weigh in day on wed, but I'm not wigging out because i KNOW it will come off, as will all the rest of the pounds to follow. So it's good day in Snoozieville.. :laugh:

Hope everyone has a great week; huge congrats to all the Hatters who have lost additional weight this week... its so wonderful to see all your hard work paying off, and on a somewhat selfish note.. its wonderful ispiration for me to see your success and be able to celebrate them with you! The great thing about being a woman and being our age, is that you KNOW every single one of us knows just how hard you have worked to get your results... and salute you!! :drinker:

PS: Janet... I've never seen Toy Story lol.. so now I'll have to google that song and see if I can find a clip with it so I can sing along!
    Lyrics remind me of the old Carole King song "You've Got a Friend" though!
  • hairsprayhon
    Options
    I AM NOT OBESE!
    I am still overweight, but I am not obese. It has been so long since I could say that. I now weigh less than I have in 25 years, when I became pregnant with my son. I now weigh 100 lbs. less than my top weight of 307.
    Someone said to me this morning that she was going to go on her “diet” on Sunday after Thanksgiving. And I really recognized that I have internalized my goal of not being on a “diet” that I turn on and off. I am convinced that the concept of turning a diet on and off is one of the reasons that I have regained weight in the past. But even though I have internalized the idea of eating healthy, I also recognize that since I began MFP, I have not faced any extreme emotional challenges. In the past I have sought comfort in food when I am grieving or facing a really tough time. But that is where the support of the Hatters will continue to be vital and you will remind me that tastytakes will not make my life any easier. And if I can lose weight in the months that my MIL has lived with us, I am stronger than I thought!
    Your formerly obese friend, Janet
  • Snooozie
    Options
    :flowerforyou: ((( JANET ))) CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

Janet.. I am SO totally thrilled for you.... I know you have been waiting for and working so hard towards this very day!!!

I remember when you posted way back about wanting to gethere. and you've DONE IT... with a lot of blood, sweat and tears !! I'm proud of you and so happy I could burst!! Well done .... WELL DONE!!!

:drinker: