It begins

Options

Replies

• jenbit
    jenbit Posts: 4,289 Member
    Options
    Poncho, I think the women's issue was largely about our reproductive rights because they're being threatened. There was a legitimate chance that Roe v. Wade could have been overturned and abortion rights could have been overturned. Coupled with the fact that some people like Todd Akin think there is "legitimate rape," we need a strong women's rights leader in the White House. Obama's plan gives free yearly reproductive exams too which is a huge, awesome thing! Cancer of reproductive organs will now be caught earlier because women can get these exams.

Just my two cents. :)

A President can't overturn Roe vs. Wade.

But remember all those supreme court positions that will come avalible in this term. He could stack the court to get what he wants ..
  • zachatta
    zachatta Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Poncho, I think the women's issue was largely about our reproductive rights because they're being threatened. There was a legitimate chance that Roe v. Wade could have been overturned and abortion rights could have been overturned. Coupled with the fact that some people like Todd Akin think there is "legitimate rape," we need a strong women's rights leader in the White House. Obama's plan gives free yearly reproductive exams too which is a huge, awesome thing! Cancer of reproductive organs will now be caught earlier because women can get these exams.

But remember all those supreme court positions that will come avalible in this term. He could stack the court to get what he wants ..

Again, because if the dollar collapses, the first thing of importance will be whether or not abortion is legal or illegal.

Can anyone else prioritize?

Does anyone understand the consequences of a failing dollar?

Why is it that no one takes this seriously and are too busy worried about some pet project idealism!
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options

You are right. By that, I meant having a largely Republican Congress with a Republican President could allow for anti-abortion laws to crop up, and Mitt would have signed them.

ETA - Jen, right on!
  • poncho33
    poncho33 Posts: 1,511
    Options

It has to pass through congress.
  • christine24t
    Options

It has to pass through congress.

And with a largely Republican congress, that would probably happen.
  • poncho33
    Options

You are right. By that, I meant having a largely Republican Congress with a Republican President could allow for anti-abortion laws to crop up, and Mitt would have signed them.

I'm not going to have an argument with you based on assumption.
  • christine24t
    Options

Yeah this is important compared to the devaluing of our currency and the rampant wars going on.....

right?

EDIT: might be my last post before my head explodes

What is nothing to you is a big issue to me as a woman. :) Please let's be respectful here so the thread is allowed to remain open. Read Carl's post if you need clarification. I like good discussion like this but let's not drag personal insults in here.
  • christine24t
    Options

I'm not going to have an argument with you based on assumption.

By no means do you have to. It's a free country!
  • zachatta
    Options

Yeah this is important compared to the devaluing of our currency and the rampant wars going on.....

right?

What is nothing to you is a big issue to me as a woman. :) Please let's be respectful here so the thread is allowed to remain open. Read Carl's post if you need clarification. I like good discussion like this but let's not drag personal insults in here.

Oh Lord woman, do you not understand that a failing currency will hurt you much more than arbitrary morality laws?

Importance is not subjective here, I am sorry.

EDIT: Actually at first I was terribly angry at the complete ignorance of the issues that truly face our country, but now I am merely sad. This is exactly why our country is going to ****, people argue red versus blue all day, and refuse to acknowledge pressing issues.

Regardless, so be it, me arguing over the internet will not change your mind. I guess America will have to go down the ****ter.
  • christine24t
    Options

right?

Oh Lord woman, do you not understand that a failing currency will hurt you much more than arbitrary morality laws?

I'm sorry you are having trouble being respectful. Again, I urge you to read Carl's post in this thread regarding this thread.
  • kls13la
    kls13la Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    The "conservatives will overturn Roe v Wade" argument is such a Chicken Little, sky is falling, meant to incite false fear in the hearts of women type of argument.

It will never happen. Ever.

There is something called stare decisis, which most Supreme Court Justices take very seriously. Also, a conservative stacked Supreme Court has had the opportunity to overturn Roe v Wade and has not done so. Also, there would be mad chaos and anger from the populace if that case were overturned. It just won't happen.

On my list of women's issues, worry that Roe v Wade might get overturned is probably last in line.

My main women's issue is the economy.
  • poncho33
    Options

right?

I'm sorry you are having trouble being respectful. Again, I urge you to read Carl's post in this thread regarding this thread.

Please... trying to look like you're taking the moral high ground does nothing to legitimize your point. Don't bother responding to this as I'm done with this thread.
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options

Again, because if the dollar collapses, the first thing of importance will be whether or not abortion is legal or illegal.

Why is it that no one takes this seriously and are too busy worried about some pet project idealism!

Pet project idealism that directly affects over half the population, in this particular case... I fully appreciate the impact of a falling dollar, but value America's contribution to the world for more than just its' economic/financial status.
  • zachatta
    Options

Pet project idealism that directly affects over half the population, in this particular case... I fully appreciate the impact of a falling dollar, but value America's contribution to the world for more than just its' economic/financial status.

Which affects American citizens more, abortion laws or a failing currency,

go ahead, I would like to see you come up with a valid argument containing abortion laws.

EDIT: At this point you are being intellectually dishonest, if you seriously believe abortion laws have a bigger impact on american citizens then our currency.
  • flimflamfloz
    flimflamfloz Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options

go ahead, I would like to see you come up with a valid argument containing abortion laws.

EDIT: At this point you are being intellectually dishonest, if you seriously believe abortion laws have a bigger impact on american citizens then our currency.
    Are you talking about the moral impact or financial impact, sorry which one?
  • zachatta
    Options

The fact that you believe you can differentiate between the two, pretty much tells me you should sit this one out.
  • Prahasaurus
    Prahasaurus Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    In fact the only thing I heard the two agree on was the handling of the war and killing Bin laden.

No, I disagree. They were in agreement on most things. How do they disagree on foreign policy, for example?

They were both heavily financed by big banks and investment banks. So their policies there are similar.

I accept that there are some minor differences, but it's completely overblown by a press desperate to make a big deal out of these minor differences. It also hides the fact that the US press is docile, and won't really ask difficult questions to any candidate. Both sides prefer it this way.

Drones, Guantanamo Bay, Israel, endless war, etc., etc. No real policy difference. It's all a show. Although having said all of that, I accept that Obama was a better choice of the two. At least we probably won't be starting another war - this time in Iran - anytime soon.

--P
  • christine24t
    Options

right?

Please... trying to look like you're taking the moral high ground does nothing to legitimize your point. Don't bother responding to this as I'm done with this thread.

I am trying to keep it civil. I enjoy discussion. But not when there are insults thrown around. Don't get mad at me because of what I think.

I enjoy the thread and don't want to see it locked.
  • flimflamfloz
    flimflamfloz Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options

The fact that you believe you can differentiate between the two, pretty much tells me you should sit this one out.
    The fact that you believe you cannot differentiate between the two, pretty much tells me you should sit this one out.
    (*boring*)
  • Carl01
    Carl01 Posts: 9,370 Member
    Options
    Okay folks,deep breaths and take a few steps back if this discussion is to continue.