Crossfit Victories

Options

Replies

• tinytatertot
    tinytatertot Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Some of ours do, depending on the WOD. Sometimes I wish more had a time limit so I'd have an excuse to stop ;)
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Wait until you do a Hero WOD. I did one that involved doing 30 snatches, then running a mile. Then doing something else, then running a mile.

THEN 100 burpees. I had to cut it to 50 and still thought I was going to die.
  • redredy9
    redredy9 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    I needed spotters but I was able to kick up into wall supported handstands and hold them on my own! It was scary but fun!

ETA: Congratulations every one! You guys are kicking butt!
  • tibsons_girl
    tibsons_girl Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Yesterday i got 3 different personal victories! I was super pumped by the end of class, probably annoying everyone around me lol

First, i did my first ever toes to bar in the warmup. That was a shocker, normally i can't get my feet anywhere close to the bar. Then our buy in was bench press, where i managed 80lbs for my last set. PR for me! Lastly, we had rope climbs in the WOD and i can climb a rope, but i'm super afraid of heights so i can only make it up about halfway before i get scared i won't be able to get down again. I managed to make it all the way up to the top TWICE though. Just told myself to keep climbing and there would be someone there to help me talk myself down if i needed it :)
  • ahemming1
    ahemming1 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I love coming in here and reading these! There is always something new to learn in CrossFit. Great job everyone!

I had a victory yesterday. I walked on my hands for about 10ft! I could barely lift a hand not too long ago, so this was exciting.
  • kmorgan221
    kmorgan221 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I did "Annie" in 13:09 yesterday, down from 14:32 previously.

I scaled it to singles, but I'm finally starting to get the hang of double unders. I can't consistently string 2, 3, etc together, but I can do a few singles, double, then singles fairly consistently. I'm going to conitnue to work on that.

Of everything I'm working on, DUs seem to be the one that I think I "should" be able to do. The next time I do Annie I want to be able to Rx it.
  • bully_lady
    bully_lady Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Have only been in crossfit for about 2 months... I found my first threshhold for deadlift max...205#. I think I can do more, but I need some darn gloves...hands couldn't hold on! I LOVE crossfit!!
  • bostonwolf
    Options
    Have only been in crossfit for about 2 months... I found my first threshhold for deadlift max...205#. I think I can do more, but I need some darn gloves...hands couldn't hold on! I LOVE crossfit!!

Gloves won't help. You just need to build up your grip strength. That will come with time. You can do farmer's carries and things like that to help move things along if you want.

Good job though. If your grip if your limiting factor you can probably lift a LOT more than 205
  • bully_lady
    Options

Gloves won't help. You just need to build up your grip strength. That will come with time. You can do farmer's carries and things like that to help move things along if you want.

Good job though. If your grip if your limiting factor you can probably lift a LOT more than 205

Funny thing you should mention that...wonder if that's why I was doing L-Sits and Farmers Carries today...the carriers were murder. I owed 15 burpees at the end due to them slipping :-)

Thanks!
  • bostonwolf
    Options

Funny thing you should mention that...wonder if that's why I was doing L-Sits and Farmers Carries today...the carriers were murder. I owed 15 burpees at the end due to them slipping :-)

Thanks!

That's just plain mean from your coach :)
  • Inkratlet
    Inkratlet Posts: 613 Member
    Options

Flip one hand over, go mixed grip when it gets heavy. It's a revelation I promise.

Don't use it all the time, but when 1 or 3RM-ing, definitely do it for the big lifts.
  • Inkratlet
    Options
    And now for the reason why I looked in here.

Cracked the 30kg snatch! WOOO!

I'd been stuck on that b****** for a while! Kept psyching myself out, coach kept saying you're getting it high enough you now need to get under it. I finally got under it. First attempt I didn't quite lock my elbows out and had to bail out. Second attempt I got it.

Lesson learnt? I know I'm capable of getting out of it so I have no excuse for not even trying to get under the bar.
  • bully_lady
    Options
    Thanks for the bit on switch grips and congrats to you! Awesome!
  • bostonwolf
    Options

I'd been stuck on that b****** for a while! Kept psyching myself out, coach kept saying you're getting it high enough you now need to get under it. I finally got under it. First attempt I didn't quite lock my elbows out and had to bail out. Second attempt I got it.

Lesson learnt? I know I'm capable of getting out of it so I have no excuse for not even trying to get under the bar.

You also (I think) get to a certain point where you realize it wasn't the weight that was the problem, it was technique and your mental state.

I still have mental issues getting under the bar in a snatch. I'm scared I'm going to drop it on my head. I need to spend multiple sessions at lighter weights dropping under my snatches until i get comfortable with it, then ramping up.
  • bostonwolf
    Options
    ^example of about.

The first WOD for my competition this weekend was (with my partner) find a 3RM Front Squat. 6 minute time cap so you had to have a plan and had to hustle.

I was worried that my crappy rack position would limit me, but it was never a real issue. I was also worried that the fact that my PR power clean was about 180.

We set up for 175 and I was in a hurry because I wanted to get it done so i could up the weight and try again.

I flung that 175 onto my shoulders so hard that my feet left the ground when I did it. I was disappointed that when we got 185 on the bar I didn't have enough time to finish the three reps.

So I now know that 180 definitely is not my one rep max. Now it's time to figure out what it is.
  • pkiesch
    pkiesch Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Today's workout was a repeat of 3/31/14

3RFT:
    -40 cal row
    -15 pullups
    -30 pushups
    -45 squats

3/31/14 time: 27:44
    5/21/14 time: 24:18

I knocked almost 3 & 1/2 minutes off my time & used a smaller band for pullups! I can't believe how much stronger I've become in such a short amount of time.
  • Inkratlet
    Options

You also (I think) get to a certain point where you realize it wasn't the weight that was the problem, it was technique and your mental state.

I still have mental issues getting under the bar in a snatch. I'm scared I'm going to drop it on my head. I need to spend multiple sessions at lighter weights dropping under my snatches until i get comfortable with it, then ramping up.

Do some snatch balances? They help.

My on the side programme (I have one for cleans and one for snatches) breaks down the lift into separate movements, so I have the snatch balance and the snatch pull. In the snatch balance you start with the bar on your shoulders like a back squat but in snatch grip, and just drop underneath it. The bar can't go up at all, you have to go down.
  • RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options

My on the side programme (I have one for cleans and one for snatches) breaks down the lift into separate movements, so I have the snatch balance and the snatch pull. In the snatch balance you start with the bar on your shoulders like a back squat but in snatch grip, and just drop underneath it. The bar can't go up at all, you have to go down.

The programming I follow (http://theoutlawway.com/category/barbell/) also breaks down the lift into separate movements. I've found it has been extremely helpful to me, as well. "Snatch" days typically start with light tall snatches (bar above power position, no dip, all drive), a technical snatch of some kind (like mid-hang or power) at moderate weight, then snatch pulls at heavy weight, and finally snatch balances at a moderate-to-heavy weight. My technique has improved considerably, and that has led to greater confidence in getting under the bar.
  • bostonwolf
    Options

Will definitely play around with these this weekend. thanks!
  • Kirstie155
    Kirstie155 Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Still in foundations but amazed at all of your accomplishments (though I am still learning the lingo). My goal is to do an unassisted pull up and unmodified push ups.