Goal Pose for 2013

Options
1235»

Replies

• DesdemonaRose
    Options
    I've been working on boat pose, I am just getting back into yoga and a lot of torso strength related poses really kick my butt. When I first tried to do it I couldn't even remotely get into half-boat pose and my body would shake like crazy. Now I can get into half boat for a few seconds and I don't shake quite so much. It will be a while before I can do full boat, but by the end of the year I should.

Also, dido on wanting my feet to touch the ground in downward dog! I am much closer on this one.
  • agdyl
    agdyl Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Yay, congrats! :)
  • mwooderson
    mwooderson Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    BIRD OF PARADISE!!! Check (as of Saturday). : ) Next is THE CROW.
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,786 Member
    Options

:drinker: great job!
  • yoginimary
    Options
    Headstand with no wall was one of my goals this year too and I finally got it. I was getting more and more consistent at the wall and finally had to just go for it freestanding. I did it out in the grass in my front yard so I figured if I flopped over it wouldn't hurt as bad. :) And it's funny, but as soon as I went into it I think the lack of a wall made me feel so much more committed that it almost felt easy. And once I did it that first time now it's pretty easy to get up into headstand and stay there as long as I want to stay there. And even play around with my legs and do like eagle legs or straddles or things like that and it's really fun. Took what felt like forever to accomplish it though! :)

Love the new avatar. Looks like you got headstand down.
  • agdyl
    Options
    Headstand with no wall was one of my goals this year too and I finally got it. I was getting more and more consistent at the wall and finally had to just go for it freestanding. I did it out in the grass in my front yard so I figured if I flopped over it wouldn't hurt as bad. :) And it's funny, but as soon as I went into it I think the lack of a wall made me feel so much more committed that it almost felt easy. And once I did it that first time now it's pretty easy to get up into headstand and stay there as long as I want to stay there. And even play around with my legs and do like eagle legs or straddles or things like that and it's really fun. Took what felt like forever to accomplish it though! :)

Love the new avatar. Looks like you got headstand down.

Thanks! I found an app with a camera timer on it and decided to play around this weekend. The headstands are feeling great now - haha and the angle makes it look like I've got splits down too, but my feet are forward a bit, so that's still a work in progress. But it's fun to play with!
  • agdyl
    Options

That's awesome! I can stand up in Bird of Paradise but my leg is never straight and I'm kind of crooked. Same thing with Tittibasana/Firefly - my hamstrings don't want to fully cooperate quite yet.
  • mwooderson
    mwooderson Posts: 254 Member
    Options

:drinker: great job!

Thanks!!!
  • TGKvr
    TGKvr Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I haven't been able to hold Bird of Paradise on the new floors at the studio... practice, practice... :)

I think I really need to move up a level in my classes, so I can practice some inversions and arm balances in a class setting.
  • shanti_777
    shanti_777 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Toes firm on the ground in Halasana (Plough Pose).
  • shanti_777
    shanti_777 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Well I can officially do plough pose, toes on the ground, now im doing headstand
  • vgurgel
    vgurgel Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Last year my goal was to do the full wheel pose. Now, I want to do a proper headstand. Right now all I´m able to pull of is a tripod headstand, but keeping my legs rested on my elbows. I would also like to do a monkey pose... but that´s more of a dream then a goal.
  • ClaireESchultz
    Options
    Hi Lovelies,

Please forgive me for hijacking this thread for just a moment :-)

2 yoga instructor friends of mine and I are embarking on a 21 Day Yoga Challenge. The goal of the challenge is to develop a habit of doing some kind of Yoga every day. I would love for you to join us to "Challenge yourself to 21 days of Yoga!" October 7th - October 27th 2013 or please also join to encourage and be part of helping others to develop a new healthy habit.
    The challenge is based in Bangkok and we will have free weekly classes throughout the challenge.
    Even if you are not in Bangkok we would still love for you to join as the challenge will be mostly online via the 21 Day Challenge Facebook group (https://www.facebook.com/groups/21dayyogachallenge) and Instagram (i'm Claire_schultz) #hashtag #21dayyogabkk. Throughout the challenge there will be posts each day; either a pose, inspiration, a breathing exercise, or a meditation exercise. We will be posting "yoga" pics to Instagram and the Facebook group for the 21 days and encourage all the members to do so too.

Would love to have you guys join the conversation and inspiration!

If you are interested in joining or for more information please check out the 21 Day Yoga Challenge FB group https://www.facebook.com/groups/21dayyogachallenge

... and also follow me on Instagram @claire_schultz (please post your instagram handles below so I can follow you too!)

Hope to see you all there, if you need any further info please feel free to message me.
    Much Love
    Claire
    xoxo
  • tavenne323
    tavenne323 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Starting to really love playing around in headstand. I am able to move my legs around quite a bit now. :)

Goal by end of 2013 was to be able to do a headstand.

Now, goal for July 4 2014 is a hand stand without a wall. Do I start with handstand? Or should I progress to forearm stand first?
  • yoginimary
    Options
    Starting to really love playing around in headstand. I am able to move my legs around quite a bit now. :)

Goal by end of 2013 was to be able to do a headstand.

Now, goal for July 4 2014 is a hand stand without a wall. Do I start with handstand? Or should I progress to forearm stand first?

Handstand at the wall. Forearm stand is easier to kick up and balance, but requires more flexibility in the shoulders.
  • agdyl
    Options
    We've been working on a few ridiculous things in class lately that are going on my goal list. One was pressing up to a handstand from crow - not even close at this point, but the idea for the progression is to keep pulling your knees in together and off your arms and stay up in crow - which takes massive core strength - I can get my right knee off my arm, but not the left. Then from there you can either kick the feet back slowly for a slow jumpback to chattarunga, or press up to handstand (which seems ridiculous even though my instructor makes it look easy).

The other one is Mayurasana (peacock). This past week was the second time I've ever tried it and I'm not there yet, but have made good progress. The first time I couldn't even get my hands twisted around that direction or my elbows in against my ribs, all of which felt good this time around. I could get one leg up off the ground but not both. Still progress. One of these days!!

I think the most valuable thing is to remember that the benefit is not necessarily from achieving the goal pose, but from the strength you build in getting there with proper form. I have to remind myself to be patient and enjoy the process rather than focusing on what it looks like day to day.
  • Patzycakes
    Patzycakes Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I have two goals

http://www.yogajournal.com/poses/2469

and

http://www.yogajournal.com/poses/2475 (I'm here for the most part, working out the ... details still)