Setting Your Calorie and Macro Targets

Options

Replies

• nettaISbetta
    nettaISbetta Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hello! I'm excited to have found this group. Here's my fitness profile - I would love your feedback on whether or not my macro calculations seem a bit wacky. I got them using the IIFYM calculator here: http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/. I've used the calculator because I am pretty bad at numbers.

Weight: 229
    Height: 5'6"
    Sex: Female
    Goals: Weight loss and muscle gain
    Exercise: I was a dancer for about 2 decades. I still go out dancing from time to time, but not nearly as much as I used to. I lift weights. Right now I am going for strength training every day of the week, even if it's just a few bodyweight sets.
    Gym access: Yes - for about 30-45 mins a day

Those are the basics. I want to check in with some other folks who might have experience with IIFYM, and if you've been 200+ lbs and tried IIFYM and gotten results from this split. It seems a bit extreme to me, but again, I'm new to IIFYM.

I input the following into the IIFYM calculator:
    Step 1: Female 30 years 5 foot 6 inches 229 lbs
    Formula: Mifflin-St Jeor Exercise Level: 5 times/week I am unsure of my body fat %

Step 2: Fat Loss: Agressive (20%)

Step 3: IIFYM plan, leaving protein at 1 gram per lb. of body weight, fat at .4 per lb. of body weight and carbs being the left over
    Calculations:
    Grams per day: Carbs: 53.6 Protein: 229 Fat: 91.6

That is about a Carb 10% / Protein 45% / Fat 45% split

Is this crazy? Or is this calculator off? Or is this accurate? I can achieve this split - I have been doing so for a few days now. :)

Thank you for your help. I have tried to calculate this a few times but am still coming up confused.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Hello! I'm excited to have found this group. Here's my fitness profile - I would love your feedback on whether or not my macro calculations seem a bit wacky. I got them using the IIFYM calculator here: http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/. I've used the calculator because I am pretty bad at numbers.

Weight: 229
    Height: 5'6"
    Sex: Female
    Goals: Weight loss and muscle gain
    Exercise: I was a dancer for about 2 decades. I still go out dancing from time to time, but not nearly as much as I used to. I lift weights. Right now I am going for strength training every day of the week, even if it's just a few bodyweight sets.
    Gym access: Yes - for about 30-45 mins a day

Those are the basics. I want to check in with some other folks who might have experience with IIFYM, and if you've been 200+ lbs and tried IIFYM and gotten results from this split. It seems a bit extreme to me, but again, I'm new to IIFYM.

I input the following into the IIFYM calculator:
    Step 1: Female 30 years 5 foot 6 inches 229 lbs
    Formula: Mifflin-St Jeor Exercise Level: 5 times/week I am unsure of my body fat %

Step 2: Fat Loss: Agressive (20%)

Step 3: IIFYM plan, leaving protein at 1 gram per lb. of body weight, fat at .4 per lb. of body weight and carbs being the left over
    Calculations:
    Grams per day: Carbs: 53.6 Protein: 229 Fat: 91.6

That is about a Carb 10% / Protein 45% / Fat 45% split

Is this crazy? Or is this calculator off? Or is this accurate? I can achieve this split - I have been doing so for a few days now. :)

Thank you for your help. I have tried to calculate this a few times but am still coming up confused.

As you have quite a bit of weigh to lose, the fat grams will not work out to make sense as a whole. Your stats are in the category that I note that will need to be lower than 0.35g per lb bw.

The protein target is too high - you should be using LBM and not total body weight. As you do not know it, and you are my height, I am going to suggest that you set it a little above my LBM.

From your numbers, the total calories you give are about 1,960, which seems reasonable.

I would set your macros at:

Protein: 130g
    Fats: 80g
    Carbs: 180g

Weigh everything where possible, log everying, and see where you are in 4 weeks. If you are not seeing the trend that you would expect, then you can tweak. Carbs would be the variable.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    I am so confused right now, please help!

I'm female, age 49, current weight is 144kg (317lbs) and height 164cm (5'5.5")

Used www.exrx.net to calculate BMR (2092) and TDEE (2615). No exercise, as such, was included in this calculation, as I'm not currently doing any. But I want to start training - both strength & cardio.

1) I have a lot of fat/weight to lose, so would a 30% deficit be OK? If so then I should essentially be eating 70% of my TDEE? Have I got that right? And then if I do additional exercise on any given day, I can/should eat back 70% of the calories burned too? Or 100%? Or 0%?

2.) My second question is about macros. I read you suggest protein at 1g/lb of LBM. How do I calculate that? Have tried various methods and calculators using a measuring tape (all I have available to me) and got BF% ranging from 46% to 74%... do I just split the difference and say 60%? This would give me a minimum of 58g protein.
    And fat? 0.35g/lb of total body weight would give me 111g of fat, which I should maybe reduce a bit.
    Most carbs (excluding veggies) are trigger foods for me, so I like the idea of keeping carbs to a minimum.
    Playing with the numbers, trying to work things out, I got even more confused!
    If I keep my fat grams to the minimum 111g, keep my carbs to a maximum of 100g, and increase my protein grams to whatever they need to be (to eat the right number of calories), then would that work?

Please tell me if I have completely lost the plot! I feel like I'm making some sense (to me, anyway), but I could quite conceivably have got it all wrong!

Any advice would be much appreciated,
    Regards, Mandy

What activity setting did you chose?

I will respond to the macro questions when we have your TDEE figured out as its a bit of a play with numbers (or macros) to get to your intake level.
  • nettaISbetta
    nettaISbetta Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thank you very, very kindly. I thought it seemed off!

Best,
    -Netta
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Thank you very, very kindly. I thought it seemed off!

Best,
    -Netta

You are very welcome. If you need additional input, feel free to start a thread and myself and SideSteel can try to help.
  • xenaroadwarrior
    Options
    I set my activity level as sedentary, which is what it currently is.
  • xenaroadwarrior
    Options
    I should also mention that I had weight loss surgery about 13 years ago which never worked (in regards to weight loss), but did leave me with a few issues. Vomiting frequently being the biggest one. I have managed to work around this by consuming a relatively large amount of good fats in my diet and keeping the carbs low (this is how I have managed to lose weight recently). It seems the high fat content allows the food to go down and stay down, for some reason. Can this be taken into account when calculating my macros?
  • 360hope360
    Options
    wow good info
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    I should also mention that I had weight loss surgery about 13 years ago which never worked (in regards to weight loss), but did leave me with a few issues. Vomiting frequently being the biggest one. I have managed to work around this by consuming a relatively large amount of good fats in my diet and keeping the carbs low (this is how I have managed to lose weight recently). It seems the high fat content allows the food to go down and stay down, for some reason. Can this be taken into account when calculating my macros?

Absolutely.

I will give you some suggested macros tomorrow.
  • MoJoPain
    Options
    Sara or Sidesteel...

Do you have a preferred method of calculating calories? I read your initial post and was very confused. I am beginning my workouts this week (INSANITY workouts), and am not sure exaclt how to calculate what is needed.

I would love assistance. Previouls, Sidesteel helped me a LOT (early 2013) unfortunatly some life events made it not possible to follow (health issues)..

I would love a woman's input as well, however, he is AMAZING support and a wealth of knowledge. Thank you for creating this group. I know to come here for the straight truths..no sugar coating.
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Another great post. Hope that the 1200 cal noobs read this.
  • perrymick
    perrymick Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • xenaroadwarrior
    Options
    Bump
  • xenaroadwarrior
    Options
    I'm wondering if I should put these posts of mine in a separate thread? I read (after I had already posted) that this is the way to go to get your questions answered.

I'm afraid in a large thread like this that my query may get lost or forgotten and I don't want to keep bumping. Seems like nagging :-(
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    I'm wondering if I should put these posts of mine in a separate thread? I read (after I had already posted) that this is the way to go to get your questions answered.

I'm afraid in a large thread like this that my query may get lost or forgotten and I don't want to keep bumping. Seems like nagging :-(

Hi!

A separate thread would be easier to track, especially if there are follow up questions. As you say, this is a large thread and things can easily be missed.

Thanks
  • xenaroadwarrior
    Options
    Have created my own thread, so anything written herecan be disregarded. Thanks
  • msdeb424
    msdeb424 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Sooooo lost.... but I'll figure it out after awhile. Tagging to read again when I have learned the lingo. :huh: :smile:
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Sara and/or SS, I joined this group a while ago and have been lurking in the posts... But I wanted to make sure I got my calculations correct.

I just weighed myself at 178 pounds and estimated my bodyfat, since I have had it measured previously, at around 40%... I am using the calorie deficit target 1600.

Anyway when I calculated out my protein and my fat it came out as 27% and 35% respectively. Does the fat percentage seem too high?

Protein: 1x178x0.6=106gx4cal=427.2/1600=27%
    Fat: 0.35x178=62.3x9=560/1600=35%
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Sara and/or SS, I joined this group a while ago and have been lurking in the posts... But I wanted to make sure I got my calculations correct.

I just weighed myself at 178 pounds and estimated my bodyfat, since I have had it measured previously, at around 40%... I am using the calorie deficit target 1600.

Anyway when I calculated out my protein and my fat it came out as 27% and 35% respectively. Does the fat percentage seem too high?

Protein: 1x178x0.6=106gx4cal=427.2/1600=27%
    Fat: 0.35x178=62.3x9=560/1600=35%

Even easier than that.
    Figure out the grams for protein and fat as the OP says.

Go in to your settings to manually setup your macros - your grams is displayed right there, the % shown is based on the net eating goal you've entered.

Enter 1600 if that is the eating level.
    Change the protein and fat goals to hit the grams, or above, you need, and carbs will fill in the rest.

Now you know your %'s. Since they only do it to 5% increments, that's all you were going to get anyway.
  • Mellyajc
    Mellyajc Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Seeing TDEE referenced on the forums here a lot, I finally read this post to learn about it. And now I have some questions.

Per the calculator referenced, my TDEE is around 2100 and my -20% is 1737.

But I question this. On MFP's 1200 calorie recommendation I was finally able to lose 10 pounds..given yes I was exercising twice a day (this has since dropped to less frequent). But based on the TDEE am I to understand my intake should be around 1700 calories a day? I feel like I'd be stuffed every day and likely to gain weight rather than lose.

Given the calculations, it also puts me at recommended 88 grams of protein. I'm vegetarian, so that high protein percentage sounds darn near impossible...