Replies

• profesorakate
    profesorakate Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    bump
  • gregr072
    gregr072 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Thank You for this information and Bump.
  • Laura42012
    Laura42012 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    This is awesome information!
  • amariecruz89
    amariecruz89 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Are either of these more accurate/better to go by than the other?
    I'm 5'3" , 203 lbs, and would like to lose 2 lbs a week.

MFP sets me at 1,390 (eating back what I exercise)
    TDEE-20% sets me at 2374 (not eating back what I exercise)

They aren't too far off from one another considering what I work out, doing Insanity and Ripped in 30.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Are either of these more accurate/better to go by than the other?
    I'm 5'3" , 203 lbs, and would like to lose 2 lbs a week.

MFP sets me at 1,390 (eating back what I exercise)
    TDEE-20% sets me at 2374 (not eating back what I exercise)

They aren't too far off from one another considering what I work out, doing Insanity and Ripped in 30.

If you input the information accurately they should theoretically have the same starting point. However, TDEE -20% =/= 2lb a week which is why you are getting a difference. In your case it would equal a little over 1lb a week.

With the amount of weight your ticker says you have to go, you will be ok at a 2lb a week cut for a little while if you want (less is obviously fine also if you want to go slower).

TDEE less 1,000 calories (which = 2lb a week) would be more like 2,000 calories. The difference between the two is a little large to account for exercise.

What activity level did you pick for the TDEE calculation?
  • amariecruz89
    amariecruz89 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I believe I put the 5-6 hours a week of exercise, I used the http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/ website
  • beckymlong
    beckymlong Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    Thank you
  • Healthy_4_Life2
    Healthy_4_Life2 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Bump! Thanks!!
  • newmelady
    newmelady Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I have a peculiar situation. I am 5" tall and weigh 105 pounds. I am 55 years old/young.I do free weights 3 times a week. I do a lot of leg movements while watching TV to strengthen my core. I also do push ups, dips and crunches. Sometimes I do seated cardio or Tracy Anderson arm exercises.
    I would like to lose at least 7 more pounds. Right now I have some fat on my midsection and upper arms.
    The problem is I have polio. So whatever weight is on my body, they are on the upper portion of my body.
    So far I have lost something like more than 20 pounds. I have some curves that I did not know I still had.
    I would like to further tone my body. What should be my macro?
    I am from India where food is high on carbs.I don't log my food here. I do so on my plate in livestrong.com as they have a lot of Indian foods on their data base.
    I am getting only 30-40 gm of protein. Is it enough?
    If I am to increase my protein level , I will have to take protein powder as all source of Indian food will increase my carb level as well.
    I am at a plateau. I have tried calorie zigzagging without any result.
    Also I think taking protein powder supplement will help me break the plateau as well as bat wings.
    I can also look at lowering my carb level without lowering my total calorie.
    I am quite comfortable with 1200-1400 calories..........what I mean is my weight has stabilized there.I never do any diet plan that I cannot do long term.
    Please help me.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    I have a peculiar situation. I am 5" tall and weigh 105 pounds. I am 55 years old/young.I do free weights 3 times a week. I do a lot of leg movements while watching TV to strengthen my core. I also do push ups, dips and crunches. Sometimes I do seated cardio or Tracy Anderson arm exercises.
    I would like to lose at least 7 more pounds. Right now I have some fat on my midsection and upper arms.
    The problem is I have polio. So whatever weight is on my body, they are on the upper portion of my body.
    So far I have lost something like more than 20 pounds. I have some curves that I did not know I still had.
    I would like to further tone my body. What should be my macro?
    I am from India where food is high on carbs.I don't log my food here. I do so on my plate in livestrong.com as they have a lot of Indian foods on their data base.
    I am getting only 30-40 gm of protein. Is it enough?
    If I am to increase my protein level , I will have to take protein powder as all source of Indian food will increase my carb level as well.
    I am at a plateau. I have tried calorie zigzagging without any result.
    Also I think taking protein powder supplement will help me break the plateau as well as bat wings.
    I can also look at lowering my carb level without lowering my total calorie.
    I am quite comfortable with 1200-1400 calories..........what I mean is my weight has stabilized there.I never do any diet plan that I cannot do long term.
    Please help me.

Hi! Can you start a new thread with your questions. Also, please could you complete the questions from here in that thread: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/910257-the-new-and-improved-asking-questions-about-your-intake

Thanks
  • newmelady
    newmelady Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Thanks. Will do.
  • barbaratrollman
    barbaratrollman Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Hi!
    I'm most grateful for this thread. Thank you!
    I'm hoping that some of the more knowledgeable of you wouldn't mind looking at my diary and giving me a constructive critique. I'd welcome varying opinions as well. I am trying to eat what I enjoy and what makes me feel good, but still unsure of how to stay within some sort of macros guidelines and just how accurate I need to be with that.

I think I want to keep my protein levels higher, because I am exercising pretty heavily. Also, over the years, I've figured out that grain based carbs are not my friend. They cause me to have cravings and I seem to gain more when I regularly eat bread, pastas, etc...

I do eat a lot of fruit and veggies, which have always seemed to satisfy.

Most the fats I eat are from very healthy sources, salmon, tuna, raw, sprouted nuts and seeds, greek yogurt, cottage cheese, avocados, raw cacao, eggs, etc...

I tend to prefer foods that are considered healthy anyway. I don't really have issues with "junk food" cravings, so I'm lucky there.

I'm trying to lift heavy at least 3 to 4 days per week and I generally get in a very good, intensive cardio workout 5 to 6 days per week. My job is sometimes physically active, sometimes mostly driving. I have to travel a lot to get to job sites, so I'm sitting during travel time, obviously. Once on site the level of physical activity can vary so much, from unpacking and installing furniture and technology, Smart Boards, computers, etc...to simply sitting and training on the technology. It gets very complicated trying to calculate anything based on my daily activities, so I've just used the setting, "Light" and then try to log all my exercise calories burned accurately.

A couple of things have been fairly discouraging to me. I lost most of the weight I've lost, between Jan. 4th of this year and the end of Feb. Then, in March, I hit a plateau that wouldn't budge. I read so many MFP threads that stated that 1,200 calories as a goal, was not going to be enough and I began to feel that maybe I'd put my body in starvation mode. So I worked hard, in March, to vary up my calorie intake and get more calories. I did lose 3 more pounds toward the end of March, but have been in a plateau again for the last couple of weeks. Now I'm feeling like I may have upped my calories too high or I'm not adding in the correct calories burned in exercise. (See my comments below.)

I did some research and found out that the MFP default protein goal is likely too low for the amount of heavy lifting and other exercise I've been doing, so I researched some more and found a couple of protein supplements that are in keeping with my love for clean and organic foods...Garden of Life's "Raw Protein" and "Tera'swhey Grass-Fed, Organic Protein", which has really helped me to get my protein levels up. However, I still have been unable to lose any weight or inches for 2 or 3 weeks.

Another discouraging thing I have just stumbled across here is reports that the model of HRM I have, the Polar FT7, gives grossly inaccurate readings for calories burned in a woman's workouts. I'm pretty bummed about that. That would mean that all this time, I've been actually netting much higher amounts of calories than I thought. :(
    The formulas for coming up with a more accurate reading are pretty complicated and my head was spinning a bit from trying to read them, so I'm just figured I'd go with one poster's suggestion of simply subtracting 10% of whatever the heart monitor states I burned.

Thank you for reading this and for any advise you can give! :)

Oh, and I'm 55-years old, 158 pounds, 5.5 tall. I have no health conditions and tend toward being pretty high energy and healthy.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Hi!
    I'm most grateful for this thread. Thank you!
    I'm hoping that some of the more knowledgeable of you wouldn't mind looking at my diary and giving me a constructive critique. I'd welcome varying opinions as well. I am trying to eat what I enjoy and what makes me feel good, but still unsure of how to stay within some sort of macros guidelines and just how accurate I need to be with that.

I think I want to keep my protein levels higher, because I am exercising pretty heavily. Also, over the years, I've figured out that grain based carbs are not my friend. They cause me to have cravings and I seem to gain more when I regularly eat bread, pastas, etc...

I do eat a lot of fruit and veggies, which have always seemed to satisfy.

Most the fats I eat are from very healthy sources, salmon, tuna, raw, sprouted nuts and seeds, greek yogurt, cottage cheese, avocados, raw cacao, eggs, etc...

I tend to prefer foods that are considered healthy anyway. I don't really have issues with "junk food" cravings, so I'm lucky there.

I'm trying to lift heavy at least 3 to 4 days per week and I generally get in a very good, intensive cardio workout 5 to 6 days per week. My job is sometimes physically active, sometimes mostly driving. I have to travel a lot to get to job sites, so I'm sitting during travel time, obviously. Once on site the level of physical activity can vary so much, from unpacking and installing furniture and technology, Smart Boards, computers, etc...to simply sitting and training on the technology. It gets very complicated trying to calculate anything based on my daily activities, so I've just used the setting, "Light" and then try to log all my exercise calories burned accurately.

A couple of things have been fairly discouraging to me. I lost most of the weight I've lost, between Jan. 4th of this year and the end of Feb. Then, in March, I hit a plateau that wouldn't budge. I read so many MFP threads that stated that 1,200 calories as a goal, was not going to be enough and I began to feel that maybe I'd put my body in starvation mode. So I worked hard, in March, to vary up my calorie intake and get more calories. I did lose 3 more pounds toward the end of March, but have been in a plateau again for the last couple of weeks. Now I'm feeling like I may have upped my calories too high or I'm not adding in the correct calories burned in exercise. (See my comments below.)

I did some research and found out that the MFP default protein goal is likely too low for the amount of heavy lifting and other exercise I've been doing, so I researched some more and found a couple of protein supplements that are in keeping with my love for clean and organic foods...Garden of Life's "Raw Protein" and "Tera'swhey Grass-Fed, Organic Protein", which has really helped me to get my protein levels up. However, I still have been unable to lose any weight or inches for 2 or 3 weeks.

Another discouraging thing I have just stumbled across here is reports that the model of HRM I have, the Polar FT7, gives grossly inaccurate readings for calories burned in a woman's workouts. I'm pretty bummed about that. That would mean that all this time, I've been actually netting much higher amounts of calories than I thought. :(
    The formulas for coming up with a more accurate reading are pretty complicated and my head was spinning a bit from trying to read them, so I'm just figured I'd go with one poster's suggestion of simply subtracting 10% of whatever the heart monitor states I burned.

Thank you for reading this and for any advise you can give! :)

Oh, and I'm 55-years old, 158 pounds, 5.5 tall. I have no health conditions and tend toward being pretty high energy and healthy.

Hi! Could you start a new thread and in it. complete the questions that can be found here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/910257-the-new-and-improved-asking-questions-about-your-intake

Thank you =)
  • barbaratrollman
    barbaratrollman Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Done and thank YOU! :)
  • brigit628
    brigit628 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    every newbie should read this! Very informative...thank you
  • joneskaw
    joneskaw Posts: 27
    Options
    bump for future reference. thanks!
  • Amytrue1
    Amytrue1 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    reference bump, thanks!
  • Falenea
    Falenea Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Excited to be trying this set up today thanks so much for this info.
  • Christie0428
    Christie0428 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    bump