Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    I would set your intake as follows as a starting point:

1600 kcals/day
    130p
    57f
    140c

That feels quite scary as I have been eating max 1310 but I will def give it a shot. I really appreciate all the time you have spent helping me, clearly I was getting it all wrong. Hopefully now I can really make progress towards a healthier future.

moderator edit to fix quotes

How long were you eating at the 1,300 calorie mark for?

For the last month or so - that was my tdee - 20%

What did your weight do in that time and do you use a food scale to measure and record things?
    How did you feel on that intake?

I think you're possibly underestimating your activity. The list of exercise you just gave me (swimming, walking regularly, C25K) would not put you in a sedentary category and consequently I think you're underestimating your TDEE.

I weigh and measure pretty carefully. I lost 13lbs in a month eating 1310 net and wasnt hungry but I did eat most of my exercise calories back. Most of all I want to get the macros right. The plan is to start lifting to help minimise muscle wastage and improve my strength and wellbeing. My aim is to get healthy not just thinner.

From your diary you have a lot of days where you have not logged and a lot of days where you look to have only partially logged. Also, you look to not eat dinner - is that correct?

In order to gauge a good intake for you, the information is predicated on having accurate logging information. So, if you could really focus on accurate logging - weigh everything as much as possible and log everything, including condiments etc.

Give the suggested targets are go and let us know how you get on - follow up in 2 weeks and we can take it from there.
  • Jullessi
    Jullessi Posts: 38
    I will log everything faithfully and let you know how it goes.
    Thank you
  • TrracyGirl
    TrracyGirl Posts: 32 Member
    Bump - wow so much to read. :D
  • JewelsinBigD
    JewelsinBigD Posts: 661 Member
    very nice
  • Healthy_4_Life2
    Healthy_4_Life2 Posts: 595 Member
    Bump!!!!!
  • cwood2002
    cwood2002 Posts: 39 Member
    ??bump til i figure it out.....
  • bump
  • Gunr2147
    Gunr2147 Posts: 63 Member
    Thanks for all the info. This made a whole lot of sense when I actually read through everything listed here. I'm sure I can use some adjustment and will continue to do so in the upcoming months while I am achieving my goals. I tinkered around with my macros to what I think is accurate for my goals right now of a 20% decrease. I think where I'm not so accurate is on my level of exercise. I'm active military and I've put myself into the active category but that may be low. Hard to tell with something that is so vague.

Thanks again!
  • LadyZini
    LadyZini Posts: 13 Member
    bump - great info - thanks
  • ElliInJapan
    ElliInJapan Posts: 284 Member
    bump - I want this in my topics
  • danchr908
    danchr908 Posts: 6
    Hello!

I apologize in advance for the lengthy post.

I started using MFP 2 days back and, frankly, I feel I should've eased my transition into calorie counting. Though, since I'm here I might as well do it right from the start. Therefore I'm asking for some help if anyone feels inclineed.

My current stats are:
    (not sure if it shows but I'm a 22yo guy)
    height: 180 cm or 5' 10''
    weight: ~105 kg(I do not own a scale) or 231 lbs
    BF/LBM (according to http://www.scientificpsychic.com/fitness/diet.html): 24,4 kg BF / 73,6 kg LBM giving me a BF% of about 30.

I'd like to lose ~40 lbs.

According to http://www.scientificpsychic.com/fitness/diet.html I should limit my food intake to 1958 calories per day and my diet should contain at least 88 grams of protein per day.
    Also, according to the formula in the original post my P-intake should be at 30%, F at 35% and CHO at 35. Is that right?
    I'm not really sure what values I should put in to customize my profile.

I've just started exercising 20-30 min daily using the Daily Workout app but other than that I don't move as much as I'd like to other than to do my chores or get groceries. The plan is that once I lose some weight I'll start jogging again.

I've also used the stats written above on http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/. The results were:
    BMR: 2254
    TDEE: 2705
    as my daily calorie requirement. (At step 6 I chose 20 % calorie reduction)

My questions are, what information do I use where? I'm at a loss. Do I even have the right information? What amount of lbs/week to lose should I smartly choose?

I think I covered most of it. I hope I did.

Thanks in advance! Great site with great people!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Hello!

I started using MFP 2 days back and, frankly, I feel I should've eased my transition into calorie counting. Though, since I'm here I might as well do it right from the start. Therefore I'm asking for some help if anyone feels inclineed.

My current stats are:
    BF/LBM (according to http://www.scientificpsychic.com/fitness/diet.html): 24,4 kg BF / 73,6 kg LBM giving me a BF% of about 30.

According to http://www.scientificpsychic.com/fitness/diet.html I should limit my food intake to 1958 calories per day and my diet should contain at least 88 grams of protein per day.
    Also, according to the formula in the original post my P-intake should be at 30%, F at 35% and CHO at 35. Is that right?

I've just started exercising 20-30 min daily using the Daily Workout app but other than that I don't move as much as I'd like to other than to do my chores or get groceries. The plan is that once I lose some weight I'll start jogging again.

I've also used the stats written above on http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/. The results were:

My questions are, what information do I use where? I'm at a loss. Do I even have the right information? What amount of lbs/week to lose should I smartly choose?

Hi!

So, I would suggest that you set you calories at 2,400 calories (no eating of exercise calories back) and use the following macros:

Protein: 160g
    Fats: 80g

as minimums and the balance wherever you wish based on preference and energy levels.

Sit there for a few weeks to let the water weight losses that usually happen at the start of a diet to settle, and then assess progress - tweaking intake up or down, depending on the results you are seeing.

I would recommend that you start some form of resistance training to ensure that you maintain as much LBM as possible. If you do not have access to a gym or equipment, look into Convict Conditioning.
  • danchr908
    danchr908 Posts: 6
    Hello!

My current stats are:

Hi!

So, I would suggest that you set you calories at 2,400 calories (no eating of exercise calories back) and use the following macros:

Protein: 160g
    Fats: 80g

as minimums and the balance wherever you wish based on preference and energy levels.

Sit there for a few weeks to let the water weight losses that usually happen at the start of a diet to settle, and then assess progress - tweaking intake up or down, depending on the results you are seeing.

I would recommend that you start some form of resistance training to ensure that you maintain as much LBM as possible. If you do not have access to a gym or equipment, look into Convict Conditioning.

Thanks a bunch, I really appreciate the help! It is a lot more motivating to know whatto do/how to do things, especially at the beginning. And thanks for the tip on Convict Conditioning. I'll get to it!

Cheers
    /Daniel

Edit: spellcheck
  • rai8759
    rai8759 Posts: 296 Member
    bump
  • mandeenicoleb
    mandeenicoleb Posts: 479 Member
    This is amazing; thank you!
  • camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    bump to read again later. Thanks for this, very informative. :drinker:
  • paprad
    paprad Posts: 321 Member
    Hi Sara

In the opening post you said
    Conversely, at a very high body fat percentage or with no or little exercise, a slightly lower amount of protein is acceptable.

My BF% is between 37 and 42, going by different methods of body measurements and 32 going by the Omron hand held thingy (I think it sends a weak current through the upper body) - which BF% should I take and accordingly how much protein per LBM should I aim for?

Thanks for all your help
  • Sarauk2sf
    Hi Sara

In the opening post you said
    Conversely, at a very high body fat percentage or with no or little exercise, a slightly lower amount of protein is acceptable.

My BF% is between 37 and 42, going by different methods of body measurements and 32 going by the Omron hand held thingy (I think it sends a weak current through the upper body) - which BF% should I take and accordingly how much protein per LBM should I aim for?

Thanks for all your help

Hi! I will give you macro targets when I respond to your PM re calories. Hopefully that will be tomorrow.
  • paprad
    paprad Posts: 321 Member
    Thanks Sara.
  • notyouraveragetalia
    notyouraveragetalia Posts: 223 Member
    Thank You!!