Setting Your Calorie and Macro Targets

Options

Replies

• Kitship
    Kitship Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I'm sure you both have answered this question many times...so sorry!

For my situation, would you recommend the MFP route or the TDEE -% route? I know that there are advantages and disadvantages to both.

22 years old
    Female
    250 lbs
    5'6.5

I work a desk job but try to strength train 3 times a week for about 20-30 minutes. I also hike for about an hour and a half a week religiously.

If you input the information accurately (well, as accurately as possible), they should end up more or less the same, just looking at it from different angles.

Personally, I prefer the TDEE - x% route if your exercise is consistent as it makes planning easier.

However, the best route is looking at your actual results, assuming you have logged accurately and your activity has been relatively consistent.

Thanks! Should I care that MFP is suggesting I eat about 300 cals below BMR?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I'm sure you both have answered this question many times...so sorry!

For my situation, would you recommend the MFP route or the TDEE -% route? I know that there are advantages and disadvantages to both.

22 years old
    Female
    250 lbs
    5'6.5

I work a desk job but try to strength train 3 times a week for about 20-30 minutes. I also hike for about an hour and a half a week religiously.

If you input the information accurately (well, as accurately as possible), they should end up more or less the same, just looking at it from different angles.

Personally, I prefer the TDEE - x% route if your exercise is consistent as it makes planning easier.

However, the best route is looking at your actual results, assuming you have logged accurately and your activity has been relatively consistent.

Thanks! Should I care that MFP is suggesting I eat about 300 cals below BMR?

Assuming you will be exercising and eating a good chunk of those back, no, as you will average above, or near to, your BMR. However, that is assuming you have not been too aggressive with the activity and the weekly goal loss. In any event, even if you are below your BMR, there is nothing to indicate that this is an issue. An aggressive deficit may well be.
  • LifeIsNotADressRehearsal
    Options
    Bump
  • ThisCanadian
    ThisCanadian Posts: 1,086 Member
    Options
    bump
  • _DreDay_
    _DreDay_ Posts: 40
    Options
    Great topic! Thanks Sara!
  • Groovyca2022
    Groovyca2022 Posts: 21,378 Member
    Options
    Bump...to read later.
  • M00NPYE
    M00NPYE Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • VolleyDawgMom
    VolleyDawgMom Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Bump to save.
  • pepperpat64
    pepperpat64 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    bump
  • OMGeeeHorses
    OMGeeeHorses Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    **posted new thread**
  • NinjadURbacon
    NinjadURbacon Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    bump
  • over_oxers
    over_oxers Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Ok, I'm trying to figure this whole thing out. Can someone check my Diary and see if I've set my macros up properly?
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Ok, I'm trying to figure this whole thing out. Can someone check my Diary and see if I've set my macros up properly?

In order for anyone to do that we would need to know your stats and a description of your activity since these are variables used in determining your calorie and macronutrient levels.
  • over_oxers
    over_oxers Posts: 47 Member
    Options

In order for anyone to do that we would need to know your stats and a description of your activity since these are variables used in determining your calorie and macronutrient levels.

28yr old female
    CW 229lb
    Height 5'9"

I work a sedetary job for 8-9 hours a day, I also live on a farm so spend about 1 hour a day doing manual labor, shoveling, hauling hat, water etc. I also ride 2-3 days a week and walk 3 miles on the days I don't ride.

Does that give enough information?
  • catfive1
    catfive1 Posts: 529 Member
    Options

28yr old female
    CW 229lb
    Height 5'9"

I work a sedetary job for 8-9 hours a day, I also live on a farm so spend about 1 hour a day doing manual labor, shoveling, hauling hat, water etc. I also ride 2-3 days a week and walk 3 miles on the days I don't ride.

Does that give enough information?

It might help to read this thread.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/910257-the-new-and-improved-asking-questions-about-your-intake
  • Alamiie
    Alamiie Posts: 9
    Options
    ugh i am so confused lol.
    i used the website you said to get my TDEE and then took 20% off that for my daily calorie intake and i'm left with 1735 and that's without ANY exercise. that's just my general (very light/light) day to day stuff. surely i can't eat that much without ANY exercise and lose weight? sorry if i'm being thick just so confused.
  • KKWilson
    KKWilson Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    i used the website you said to get my TDEE and then took 20% off that for my daily calorie intake and i'm left with 1735 and that's without ANY exercise. that's just my general (very light/light) day to day stuff. surely i can't eat that much without ANY exercise and lose weight? sorry if i'm being thick just so confused.

What are your stats? Age, height, weight, amount you are looking to lose? How many weeks do you have of consistent logging data?
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options

Why confused, what has been your experience with calorie levels to you know that you have an informed opinion?

Ever log some common days when you used to eat without exercise, before you began a diet, and were even aware of calorie levels?

If the only calorie level you've ever seen was 1200 minimum for sedentary woman, then sure 1700 sounds high.

But if you logged what you use to eat and found you were eating 2500 or more on regular basis, than 1700 is nothing. And exercising now compared to perhaps none then.
  • Alamiie
    Alamiie Posts: 9
    Options

What are your stats? Age, height, weight, amount you are looking to lose? How many weeks do you have of consistent logging data?

i'm 21, 5ft1, 165lb and would like to be around 110lb-115lb. i don't have any weeks of consistent logging yet. i've been just eating healthy without counting for the past couple weeks due to a previous ED where i obsessed over calories. but i've realised if i want to lose the weight properly i will have to count.