Setting Your Calorie and Macro Targets

Options

Replies

• mjpTennis
    mjpTennis Posts: 6,165 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info. Looking forward to starting my changes.
  • Jullessi
    Jullessi Posts: 38
    Options
    Help!!! So I am a 49 year old female and weigh 191 lbs. My maths is shocking but having waffled about forever I am now trying to educate myself sufficiently to lose over 50 lbs. I have worked out my tdee and set my cal goal at 30% less which is 1310. The problem is I just tried to work out my macros using your formula and it suggests 20% crbs, 35% protein and a whopping 45% fat. Can this be accurate???
  • Jullessi
    Options
    Help!!! So I am a 49 year old female and weigh 191 lbs. My maths is shocking but having waffled about forever I am now trying to educate myself sufficiently to lose over 50 lbs. I have worked out my tdee and set my cal goal at 30% less which is 1310. The problem is I just tried to work out my macros using your formula and it suggests 20% crbs, 35% protein and a whopping 45% fat. Can this be accurate???

Should have added my LBM is 113 and body fat 78 lbs. Any help would be hugely appreciated.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Should have added my LBM is 113 and body fat 78 lbs. Any help would be hugely appreciated.

What settings are you using to calculate your TDEE? Is this including exercise?
  • Jullessi
    Options

No not including exercise as I have no set routine yet.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

The reason why you are getting such a low amount of carbs and a high fat % is that your calories are so low. The reason is that you picked sedentary - and will be eating back exercise calories I assume. The cut off your TDEE is actually not unreasonable as it approximates 1lb a week.

This is one of the reasons I prefer the static calories where you bake exercise in - you can get screwy numbers, but I do get why people prefer the eating calories back method, especially when exercise is unpredictable.

The recommendations for macros are assuming that someone exercises. For someone with a higher base TDEE, that does not cause such an issue with how the numbers fall out, even if using the TDEE of sedentary. Also, when they do exercise tthey can just use the excess that they get from exercise primarily for carbs - which makes the macros make sense.

However, in your case, this does not quite work, so I am going to suggest a slightly different method. I have a recommendation, but I want to bounce it off SideSteel the next time we talk, and will get back to you when we have.
  • Jullessi
    Options

The reason why you are getting such a low amount of carbs and a high fat % is that your calories are so low. The reason is that you picked sedentary - and will be eating back exercise calories I assume. The cut off your TDEE is actually not unreasonable as it approximates 1lb a week.

This is one of the reasons I prefer the static calories where you bake exercise in - you can get screwy numbers, but I do get why people prefer the eating calories back method, especially when exercise is unpredictable.

The recommendations for macros are assuming that someone exercises. For someone with a higher base TDEE, that does not cause such an issue with how the numbers fall out, even if using the TDEE of sedentary. Also, when they do exercise tthey can just use the excess that they get from exercise primarily for carbs - which makes the macros make sense.

However, in your case, this does not quite work, so I am going to suggest a slightly different method. I have a recommendation, but I want to bounce it off SideSteel the next time we talk, and will get back to you when we have.

Thank you do much - I really do appreciate the help
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

Thank you do much - I really do appreciate the help

Can you please quantify your activity for us over the course of a week or two? We'd like to know what sort of activity you are doing. If it varies a lot from day to day or week to week that's fine, but we need to get an idea as to how active/sedentary you are.
  • Jullessi
    Options
    I am currently off work so very sedentary indeed. My return date is in a month approx. I have started the C25K again and do some walking but not much else other than maybe 45 mins swimming or a little zumba. When at work I am on my feet a lot and I do a reasonable amount of exercise running 30 k a week, 1/2 swimming sessions, a couple of circuit classes and an hour of pilates. I will be working my way back to that over the next few months. Even if you gave me approximate figures for now I could come back to you when I get back into my old routine
  • SideSteel
    Options
    I am currently off work so very sedentary indeed. My return date is in a month approx. I have started the C25K again and do some walking but not much else other than maybe 45 mins swimming or a little zumba. When at work I am on my feet a lot and I do a reasonable amount of exercise running 30 k a week, 1/2 swimming sessions, a couple of circuit classes and an hour of pilates. I will be working my way back to that over the next few months. Even if you gave me approximate figures for now I could come back to you when I get back into my old routine

So currently you are doing:

C25K
    Some walking
    45 minutes of swimming
    zumba

Can you please further clarify -- is this 45 minutes of swimming daily? Is this 45 minutes/week?

The more specific you can be, the better we will be able to adjust your current intake to at least get you to a reasonable starting place.
  • Jullessi
    Options

C25K
    Some walking
    45 minutes of swimmingk
    zumba

Can you please further clarify -- is this 45 minutes of swimming daily? Is this 45 minutes/week?

The more specific you can be, the better we will be able to adjust your current intake to at least get you to a reasonable starting place.

Sorry yes.I currently average c25K 3 times a week, 45 mins breaststroke slow paced once a week, 60 mins walking 3 times a week and 30 mins of zumba once a week.
  • SideSteel
    Options

C25K
    Some walking
    45 minutes of swimmingk
    zumba

Sorry yes.I currently average c25K 3 times a week, 45 mins breaststroke slow paced once a week, 60 mins walking 3 times a week and 30 mins of zumba once a week.

Thanks, one of us will get back to you later today.
  • Jullessi
    Options
    You guys are awesome - thanks
  • SideSteel
    Options
    I would set your intake as follows as a starting point:

1600 kcals/day
    130p
    57f
    140c
  • Jullessi
    Options

1600 kcals/day
    130p
    57f
    140c

That feels quite scary as I have been eating max 1310 but I will def give it a shot. I really appreciate all the time you have spent helping me, clearly I was getting it all wrong. Hopefully now I can really make progress towards a healthier future.

moderator edit to fix quotes
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

1600 kcals/day
    130p
    57f
    140c

That feels quite scary as I have been eating max 1310 but I will def give it a shot. I really appreciate all the time you have spent helping me, clearly I was getting it all wrong. Hopefully now I can really make progress towards a healthier future.

How long were you eating at the 1,300 calorie mark for?
  • Jullessi
    Options

1600 kcals/day
    130p
    57f
    140c

For the last month or so - that was my tdee - 20%
  • SideSteel
    Options

1600 kcals/day
    130p
    57f
    140c

What did your weight do in that time and do you use a food scale to measure and record things?
    How did you feel on that intake?

I think you're possibly underestimating your activity. The list of exercise you just gave me (swimming, walking regularly, C25K) would not put you in a sedentary category and consequently I think you're underestimating your TDEE.
  • newjojie
    newjojie Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Jullessi
    Options

1600 kcals/day
    130p
    57f
    140c

What did your weight do in that time and do you use a food scale to measure and record things?
    How did you feel on that intake?

I think you're possibly underestimating your activity. The list of exercise you just gave me (swimming, walking regularly, C25K) would not put you in a sedentary category and consequently I think you're underestimating your TDEE.

I weigh and measure pretty carefully. I lost 13lbs in a month eating 1310 net and wasnt hungry but I did eat most of my exercise calories back. Most of all I want to get the macros right. The plan is to start lifting to help minimise muscle wastage and improve my strength and wellbeing. My aim is to get healthy not just thinner.