Insight

Options
124»

Replies

• christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,064 Member
    Options
    It wasn't until a couple years ago that my family stopped thinking I was gay since I never brought home guys I dated. Not that I dated a lot but I wasn't going to bring them home.

I never have and probably never will tell my family much about my dating life...if I were to get serious with a man they would definitely meet them but until that point I have no desire to fill them in. I love them, but I'm just very personal with that kind of stuff.

Sometimes I think that my family thinks I'm gay too...so I try to throw in comments about finding men attractive haha.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    It wasn't until a couple years ago that my family stopped thinking I was gay since I never brought home guys I dated. Not that I dated a lot but I wasn't going to bring them home.

I never have and probably never will tell my family much about my dating life...if I were to get serious with a man they would definitely meet them but until that point I have no desire to fill them in. I love them, but I'm just very personal with that kind of stuff.

Sometimes I think that my family thinks I'm gay too...so I try to throw in comments about finding men attractive haha.

I've gotten the "Are you gay?" speech. Usually it's subtle, but I have gotten it direct as well. I remember one wedding I went to I was asked about it.
    Uncle: "You're not into girls, are you gay? It's cool. I don't care." My uncle who asked this was also a bit blitzed at the time.
    Me: "No I am not gay."
    Uncle: "You're a good looking boy! You should have tons of women! Let me help you." He is a bachelor for life. Never is going to settle. Total playboy. :laugh:

Then there's my mother. She hasn't mentioned anything lately but in the past she kept talking about grand kids and that she is getting older, won't be around much longer to enjoy them. I think that with some women there's 2 clocks going. The baby clock and the grand kids clock. :laugh: She used to also say I should go to Mexico, have my pick of girls there. I was confused at first but she explained many would :heart: to marry an American guy so they could legally come to the USA. Marry for papers? :noway: I told her no, I'd marry for love only, like she did with dad.
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options
    double post
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options

Wait how did we switch from talking about boobs to talking about winter weather?

You've all been infected by the British presence on the board - talking about the weather is our default mode of social communication :laugh:

Re. the OP: I get the 'intimidating' thing too, from girls as well as male friends - an impression that seems to be based on things I can't really change. A couple of male friends have also suggested that I'm the type men want to marry instead of the type they want to play around with on a less-seriously-intentioned level, so... I also have three jobs at the moment, including singing, and significant family responsibilities, so I'm less 'out there' than I'd ideally like to be, and because I moved halfway around the world on my own in my late teens, I don't have the family connections here I might otherwise be set up to meet potential matches through, as many of my peers do - the sons and nephews of family friends are a fairly standard option in my social circle, but I don't have anyone playing that game on my behalf.

I've always been something of an anomaly, in every sphere of my life, which isn't ideal for finding a mate - most people seem to prefer 'normal', or at least 'easily understandable in this frame of reference' - which isn't really me, so I guess I'm stuck playing the waiting game for someone to come along who actively wants, or can at least cope with, something/someone a bit different. Hey ho. :ohwell: