January Check in and Chat - HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

Options

Replies

• Jaxster92708
    Jaxster92708 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Deload week for me, I'm actually kind of relieved. I think I was slightly overdue for a bit of a break. What do the rest of you ladies do in terms of rest/deloading?

I have switched over to Wendler's so I have a deload week once every four week cycle (I lift 4 days/week).

When I did SL, I just deloaded as the instructions stated (deload after stall x3).

Jackie
  • vegannlg
    vegannlg Posts: 170 Member
    Options

Weighing in on the bras, I had to share. I never used to be able to shop at Victoria's Secret - but after bring measured this weekend for my wedding, I now do. I'm a 38c/d depending. So not tiny...but not huge. My sister convinced me to try a bra on from their clearance bins....it's sole purpose was to increase my cup size 2x. Holy crap...it was literally a shelf, I couldn't see my feet either! Well I bought it anyway...figured my fiancé would like it.

I got measured as a 32C last year, but I think I need to get remeasured, since I noticed the boobies are smaller :cry: . I LOVE the VS insta-boob job! I have three levels of boobs in my drawer, lol. Lightly lined (normal cup size), slightly padded (+1 cup) and majorly padded (+2 cups). My husband says he doesn't understand, but likes to poke the majorly padded one, b/c its funny that I can't feel it at all!!

Hmmm... Got me thinking. I wonder what Victoria's Secrets could do for the new - teeny-tiny - me. I was not very big before but now :frown: I've worn a sports bras for so long now (even under dresses!) I don't even know my cup size! The old ones are sort of like putting on wrinkly baggies! Time for some shoppin'!
  • darwinforyou
    darwinforyou Posts: 988 Member
    Options
    So I was ambitious this morning and went to the gym at 8 a.m. for some weights. It is such a different crowd in the morning! I was by myself at first - but then guys slowly started to trickle in. These guys were major douches, well one was, the rest kind got sucked in by him. The weren't lifting so much as talking about sports and ladies who get around too much. If you ever work with sales guys, these were total sales guys....I kinda knew they were when the one started talking about "wheelhouse". Business lingo....I tellz ya. Though I'm in the business world - but sales people (No offense Vegas!!!!) generally are not my favorites!

But anyways.....

5x5 squat - 105 - think I'm gonna stay here next time to work on form.
    rows 1x5 - 75 - 4x5 - 65
    BP 5x5 - 70 deloaded 5 due to failure last time

Did some sidebeds with 30 lbs - straight leg deadlifts to stretch out my hammies - I did some interval runs on Sunday and my hips have felt really tight since then. Probably because I tried to run like zombies were chasing me.....seriously. It's the only thing that motivates me to run - if there's ever a zombie apocalypse I want to be up on my cardio so I can at least run away and preserve my noggin.

And that's a wrap.
  • d1haj
    d1haj Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Happy days - two new PBs today - did 6 x full pull ups - 5 regular singles and 1 from a complete dead hang starting position. Also got a massive PB on my bicep curls - previous best 3x10kgx3 - today's record 10kg x 8 x 2 and 10kg x 5 which was an absolute maximal effort. Am very pumped!
  • a_vettestingray
    a_vettestingray Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I got approached and complimented on my deadlift form today. Yay! Anyways...I am five pounds short of my first deadlift goal (175x3)...so i just need to keep hammering away. Sometimes I feel like I am not progressing, but then I look at all my previous workouts and I see that I might not have increased weight much - but at least I have increased.

I had the crud and stayed home from work yesterday, vegging on the couch. I also had sick leave planned for today, since I had an orthodontist appointment. So I went to the gym right after that. Impressed with my lifts today since I still don't feel 100%. I do need to focus more on keeping my middle engaged on my deadlifts....I think that when I tried to pull on my last set, I wasn't quite "set" properly and now I am feeling a little lower back pain. I wonder at what point you need a belt, as my workouts are always around 80-90% IRM
  • fisherlassie
    fisherlassie Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    So rest days suck. It's official. I really can't wait until I leave for Montreal on Tuesday because at least then I'll have distractions lol Sunday is actually a scheduled rest day, but since I decided to take yesterday off too (I worked out Monday-Friday last week....tomorrow is the start of the "official" training break) I feel like it's been forever since I have worked out lol

The good news is that when I went shopping yesterday I was trying on dresses in medium...most of the larges were too big :)

Rest days still suck. Training break sucks. Not really counting every single calorie is like effing heaven though lol

You ladies are all doing so well on your lifts and progressions! I will live vicariously through you until I'm back at it!

I'm with you on that! I hate rest days. I was even wondering if I might be more suited to spit routines where you get to work out every day! I'm sticking with this because I believe the whole compound lift thing but I would be happier if I could lift every day.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    i don't mind rest DAYS but I don't care to take several of them in a row. I prefer deload days to a rest week.

Fisher - when you finish out with Stronglifts 5x5, look at Wendler 5/3/1 over Madcow. 4x week lifting. B

But also - if you don't enjoy rest days yet, its because you haven't been working hard enough or long enough yet. I promise you will get to a day when the idea of 5-6/week makes you want to weep with exhaustion.
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    SarahZ I tried toes more forward, and deloaded to 85lbs (was at 95.) Knees still a little sore. I realized my knees have been a problem for a while (even pre-lifting) because I have an awful habit of sitting indian style- even in my computer chair. My knees always hurt after that. I have found other possible sources for knee pain during squats (other than obviously ****ty form lulz.) 1. Not enough warm up. I do a cardio warmup and warmup sets, but I found some remedial stretches for those who fail at squats so I'm going to try those pre workout. (Pigeon pose was on the list. I love that thing!) 2. Weak glutes/hammies. Going to try add glute bridges to my workouts. Yay for looking even dumber in the weight room. 3. Inflexible parts. I'm pretty good about stretching after I workout, but going to continue and get a foam roller to please the fascia gods. 4. I use the elliptical to warm up. While the elliptical is supposed to be good on your knees it's not for everyone. Going to switch to bike. Hopefully deloading and incorporating all of these things will alleviate my mildly sore knees. For me it's been mildly sore the day after lifting, but fine the day after that. It's also a generalized sort of pain. No sharp twinges at specific points or anything. If these work I'll be sure to tell you! If not I'll tell you too, and I might have money saved for a powerlifting friendly trainer to form check all my lifts.

Rest days suck. Especially if you eat back exercise calories :laugh:

It's great reading everyone's tales of badassedness. Please post more for my reading enjoyment :wink:
  • fisherlassie
    Options
    I used to enjoy drinking (still do...I <3 craft beers)...but I really don't like drinking the night before I have a training session. I can tell that it really affects my performance negatively. I just don't feel as strong, I never get up as early, I crave carbs all day...its just kind of ugly. I used to indulge fairly heavily on the weekends, but the more serious I get about lifting...the less I indulge. This weekend, for example, I had three beers - which was a lot for me these days. However, when I am on vacation or whatnot...I drink freely :drinker:

I posted this on my newsfeed yesterday and I am putting it out here on the main board. Yesterday was Official Progress Day and I took photos and measurements. My waist and chest are actually up .5 in each (boo!), hips are the same and weight is down .5lb from last month. Some friends said they could see some positive changes from last progress pic- I do not. I even quizzed the hubz and he didn't give me any good feedback. What do you guys think?

http://s1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb449/avettestingray/?action=view&current=Day1toJan.jpg (I'm at work so I can't get to photobucket to imbed, I just copied the url from my profile)

You look absolutely amazing! In the most recent photo you look leaner than the first and stronger and more powerful than the middle one. I also think you look curvier, and the nice kind of curvy (from muscles) in the recent one.
  • tameko2
    Options
    I did away with exercise calories ages ago, because exercise calories are a) really hard to account for with lifting and b) I get hungrier on off days than on workout days - exercise is a pretty good appetite suppressant for me. Oh and c) its harder to fall into a rhythm with your eating habits if your calorie target is constantly in flux.

So I just do a TDEE calculation that takes them into account and then average across all 7 days. Much easier.
  • fisherlassie
    Options
    Tameko, thanks for the suggestions! You may be right that I am just not far enough along to enjoy the rest days! I hadn't thought of that!
  • tameko2
    Options
    Tameko, thanks for the suggestions! You may be right that I am just not far enough along to enjoy the rest days! I hadn't thought of that!

I got to the point where the idea of going to the gym and squatting made me want to cry a little. It was just so exhausting to squat 155lbs 25 times.

That's pretty much when you know its time to move to an intermediate program. Its the weeping.

Also for funsies ladies, you should calculate the TOTAL weight you move after a workout sometime. Like, 155 lbs at 5x5 reps = 3875 lbs. Nearly 2 tons. Oh god even thinking about it makes me want to cry.
  • HIITMe
    HIITMe Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    (chiming in late)

im nosey...went back a few pages..... I dont have bra issues.... after 2 kids I finally made a B cup... Im down 70 lbs in 5 months due to caloric deprivation.... at my highest weight I was 38C ( with room or B with massive spillage).... Im going to get fittd this weekend but am guessing Im back down to 36B

started SLs last week with 25#.... did 35# yesterday, SL-B..... cardio today (C25K).... SL-A tomorrow,still at 35# Im only upping weight weekly until I master form....

Im currently carrying the bulk of my weight in the belly, which makes jeans shopping loads of fun....NOT!

well thats Me in a nutshell
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    That's pretty much when you know its time to move to an intermediate program. Its the weeping.

I kind of want this on a sampler hanging in my living room. Is that so wrong?
  • mamacita721
    mamacita721 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I am starting tonight. I made it part way through Stage 5 of NRoLfW before I burnt myself out. The workouts were taking too long and I was trying to half marathon train at the same time. No bueno. I managed to complete the Half Marathon (twice) and put 30lbs back on. :grumble: :embarassed:

So anyway, giving this a shot, now that I have gotten a handle on my bad food habits again. Wish me luck!
  • jayliospecky
    jayliospecky Posts: 25,022 Member
    Options

I got to the point where the idea of going to the gym and squatting made me want to cry a little. It was just so exhausting to squat 155lbs 25 times.

Also for funsies ladies, you should calculate the TOTAL weight you move after a workout sometime. Like, 155 lbs at 5x5 reps = 3875 lbs. Nearly 2 tons. Oh god even thinking about it makes me want to cry.

Oo, yes. I don't mind rest days at all because it seems like I am usually sore and/or tired somewhere. I, however, wasn't ready for an intermediate program. I was ready to go to 3x5, and I'm much happier there. Also so far I am loving my deload week.
  • claritarejoice
    claritarejoice Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I everyone! I just did workout B with 40 pounds. Will go up to 45 pounds next time. Have a good night!
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Did my workout yesterday, and there was someone in the squat rack! How dare he!!! He also was unfortunately doing all sorts of things in the squat rack (some of which confused me, and most of which were entertaining like his mini squats where he more bounced). I ended up just doing my bench press and rows first. He did offer to spot my bench though, which was very nice. (Strangely I've been throwing up my bench no problem. Well, I'm only at 55lbs, but I struggled with 55 only a few months ago.)

Other than the delay in my squats, it's going fairly well. Didn't stall on my squats like I feared; I'm think it was just after a night of drinking Sunday didn't go well. Of course, Monday night we had a ringer in from England, so that means a trip to the pub after bell practice. But I did limit myself to one beer. :happy: Next workout is tomorrow, and Mexican food for dinner. Let's see if I can make it through the night without a beer or margarita. I'll have to see how today goes...

Stupid drinking interfering with lifting. I guess at some point I'm going to have to decide between the two on certain nights.
  • HIITMe
    HIITMe Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    the gym I attend has a SW program that adds up the total weight lifted, by day, week, month or lifetime...provided you log in before your workout...unfortunately it only does so for the machines..... Grrrrrr

anyhoo, Have you ladies noticed any PMS relief ( or God forbid, any worse symptoms) since you've been heavy lifting.... Mine cant get much worse so Im hoping for the best....
    Im probably going to miss lifting today.... I only have 45 minutes in the mornings... I can do SL in that time ONLY if I get to the gym exactly when the doors open at 5:30.... Midol failed me last night and Im on day 3 of the migraine from hell.....so I caved and layed in bed an extra hour before work..... then remembered I have 2 meetings tonight, probably wont get back home til nearly 10 when the gym closes.... Im OCD so now its going to drive me crazy that my schedule is off.....tomorrow is my cycling training day ( Did I mention Im triathlon training?) I may so a few squats with 25 lbs just to practice that form... it has me worried.... then Friday I can go back to 5x5 Day A at 35 lbs....
  • darwinforyou
    darwinforyou Posts: 988 Member
    Options
    the gym I attend has a SW program that adds up the total weight lifted, by day, week, month or lifetime...provided you log in before your workout...unfortunately it only does so for the machines..... Grrrrrr

anyhoo, Have you ladies noticed any PMS relief ( or God forbid, any worse symptoms) since you've been heavy lifting.... Mine cant get much worse so Im hoping for the best....
    Im probably going to miss lifting today.... I only have 45 minutes in the mornings... I can do SL in that time ONLY if I get to the gym exactly when the doors open at 5:30.... Midol failed me last night and Im on day 3 of the migraine from hell.....so I caved and layed in bed an extra hour before work..... then remembered I have 2 meetings tonight, probably wont get back home til nearly 10 when the gym closes.... Im OCD so now its going to drive me crazy that my schedule is off.....tomorrow is my cycling training day ( Did I mention Im triathlon training?) I may so a few squats with 25 lbs just to practice that form... it has me worried.... then Friday I can go back to 5x5 Day A at 35 lbs....

Um, yeah, I totally get the OCD thing. If my schedule is thrown off whack at all I seriously start to panic....Like I have training for work this week at night and I'm like, but how am I going to get all my stuff in???? How am I going to do this??? I'm such a freak when it comes to my schedule, more so making sure I fit my lifiting in. Now I'm totally thrown off this week cause I usually do M,W,F and this week i'm doing T,Th,S. Plus I really want to make sure I keep my cardio the same this week....

Oh yes, totally OCD when it comes to that....though I'm an analyst for my job, so I think it kinda fits me perfectly :) I overanalyze and over-prepare. I should totally be a prepper.