January Check in and Chat - HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

Options

Replies

• darwinforyou
    darwinforyou Posts: 988 Member
    Options
    I got approached and complimented on my deadlift form today. Yay! Anyways...I am five pounds short of my first deadlift goal (175x3)...so i just need to keep hammering away. Sometimes I feel like I am not progressing, but then I look at all my previous workouts and I see that I might not have increased weight much - but at least I have increased.

I'll compliment ya on your form!!! *wink wink* Seriously Vette - you're like the hottest chick on here! No offense to anyone else.... you're all hot. But Vette has superior hotness.
  • michelledsmith517
    Options
    hi everybody! i'm almost 4 months post partum. started stronglifts in december. here's where i am:

squats: 105 a2g (could go heavier but can't go as low :p)
    bench: 65
    row: (i do 1 arm db rows, can't get the hang of pendlay) 30lbs
    ohp: 55
    deadlift: 145. managed 155 3x3. my favorite lift!
  • sarahz5
    sarahz5 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    Welcome to Michelle and HIIT and mamacita!

Fittree, almost all of those are things I have on my list! I already do cardio (running) dynamic stretching, and some NROL4W-suggested stretches, before I squat. And I will never stop running. :laugh: But everything else, yes. I am also looking to get a knee brace. I'm pretty sure I have what seems to be called "runner's knee." Oh, and the sitting at the desk - yes! I also actually sit with my one foot, the one attached to the bad knee, under my opposite leg. My paralegal says her physical therapist friend said that that causes knee pain/problems. I am really trying to focus on not doing it.
  • fisherlassie
    fisherlassie Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    Squats: 5x5 85
    Bench: 5545 80 Five min. rest helped but I am clearly slowing down on the bench press.
    Row: 5x5 80 3 min rest.

These are all getting harder. Maybe I am going to start liking rest days soon! lol!
  • a_vettestingray
    a_vettestingray Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I got approached and complimented on my deadlift form today. Yay! Anyways...I am five pounds short of my first deadlift goal (175x3)...so i just need to keep hammering away. Sometimes I feel like I am not progressing, but then I look at all my previous workouts and I see that I might not have increased weight much - but at least I have increased.

I'll compliment ya on your form!!! *wink wink* Seriously Vette - you're like the hottest chick on here! No offense to anyone else.... you're all hot. But Vette has superior hotness.

Aww, my first girl crush, lol! Thanks Darwin!

Everyone is kicking @$$ here lately. I will admit it, I probably wouldn't go to the gym half the time if I knew that no one would hold me accountable...
  • a_vettestingray
    Options
    Bench: 5545 80 Five min. rest helped but I am clearly slowing down on the bench press.

These are all getting harder. Maybe I am going to start liking rest days soon! lol!
    This may have been asked already, but where did you get that awesome rack?
  • sarahstrezo
    sarahstrezo Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies! I am about a month into SL...coming from NROLFW.
    Today I kicked it on squats and deadlifts....it felt great!
    Squats 125 5x5
    Deadlifts 125 2x5

But...my OHP still sucks :(
    I ALMOST got 55lbs 5x5 but on that last set...I just could not get that 5th rep up. This was my third attempt and I think I'm supposed to deload next time. Although, since I was so close, I'm thinking of giving it one more go. And, obviously, if I get it next time...hanging out at the 55lb mark for a week at least.

As for rest days....I used to not like them either. They used to make me feel jittery and anxious. But, lately I've come to appreciate them. I'm getting to the point where the idea of squatting 3 times a week is exhausting just thinking about it :)
  • xidia
    xidia Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Back after a week off (hotel, holiday, no bar in the gym)

Squat went up to 53lb (converted from kg weights - also using dbs because we have no power cage *Sob*)
    Bench stayed at 30lb (but was nowhere near failure, unlike last time)
    Row stayed at 35lb but finally cracked the form - this is going to be fantastic for my lower back, traditionally my problem area

Ow :D
  • fisherlassie
    fisherlassie Posts: 542 Member
    Options

Physique Fitness
  • jayliospecky
    jayliospecky Posts: 25,022 Member
    Options

Genetics.

Oh, wait, you weren't talking to me. Sorry.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Alright, it's official, I'm doing my squats wrong. My left knee is killing me today, and I'm not sure what the issue is. I guess it's back to watching videos and time to deload until I can get my form right. Boo.
  • darwinforyou
    darwinforyou Posts: 988 Member
    Options
    I did personal best today!!! Decided to go do my deadlifts in that "boy" area with the big weights that start at 25 rather than the rack. So after asking a guy how you load with those big ones, and he showed me that lifting thingy that helps load it....I put two 45's on....awe yeah.

So today I deadlifted 140 1x5. Yay!!!!

in other news.....

Kept the squat the same: 105 5x5
    OHP - Stalled at 55 - 5x5

I did something to my knee though. It doesn't effect my lifting - but it's effecting my cardio. Which sucks, even walking on the treadmill makes it hurt.

Time to take a break....

Just had to share.
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    We clearly need a "my knee sucks wtf" subgroup. I think squats are out for me for a week or so. Deadlifted fine though. So even though I deloaded a ton (65lbs) I only managed 2x5 yesterday and then my knee started hurting. I did 65lbs OHP, and 125 deadlift 1x5 though so I'm still feeling badass.

I'm dyslexic so I thought 'vette was vest-something. Derp derp.

Grats on your baller deadlift Darwin.
  • HIITMe
    HIITMe Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Alright, it's official, I'm doing my squats wrong. My left knee is killing me today, and I'm not sure what the issue is. I guess it's back to watching videos and time to deload until I can get my form right. Boo.

Ive decided that tomorrow Im going to set my tablet in front of the rack & practice the form without weights until I get it right....
  • auddii
    Options
    I need to practice some body weight squats at home and in my free time, but I still want to do some with the bar because I feel like my stance is different with the bar. But, I was up to 85lbs today, and that did me in apparently. Not sure what I'm doing. My knee was feeling twingy before hand, so I was very focused on keeping my knees out while squatting today. Strangely, my knees don't hurt squatting, but they hurt afterwards.
  • extraordinary_machine
    extraordinary_machine Posts: 3,028 Member
    Options
    Kicking *kitten*, ladies!

Workout A yesterday...
    Squats: 85
    Bench: 75
    Row: 70

I totally shamed a wee high school kid into benching 80... He loaded 75 until he saw what I loaded, and then switched. :happy:

Question about rows...my lower back sucks for a pretty bad balance beam accident when I was 15 and several years of getting knocked around on the soccer field. When I finish rows, my lower back HURTS...like my SI joint on the right side gets thrown out of wack. Is this form, or am I just going to have issues? I'm so tempted to do something else, but I don't want to be a SL loser. :laugh:
  • a_vettestingray
    Options
    I don't if this will help anyone's squat form issues, but my trainer said usually its a flexibility thing and he recommended a certain stretch. I will see if I can explain it right, but I do it after my warm up and before my work weight.

Stand with feet shoulder width apart, bend at the waist and grab your toes with both hands, then squat down with your weight on your heels and your toes being held (so not touching the ground). Sink into the squat as far as you can and relax, "So you feel like you can sit there all day" and hold it for 30 seconds. Do three sets. It helps with flexibility in the hips and ankles.

Workout started about bad today...to bros were hogging the squat rack but I had to give them props since the form was spot on. They took FOREVER, but one guy saw me perched like a vulture waiting and let me know bro #2 only had a couple more sets. So I went over, bro #2 apologized for taking so long, but he's "lifting heavy so he needs a long rest between sets" (no *kitten*). Anyways, they left and I set up and Bro #1 and Bro #2 were watching my form (or butt). Then I went to do bench, and all the benches were taken, Bro #1 and Bro #2 were also benching, so I finally got a free bench and asked Bro #2 to spot me...let him know I was just doing five sets of five. He was a really good spotter...cueing me and what not. Then has asked if I moed up 5lb each time...I told him when I could, lol. We chatted...I watched them lift, turned down my headphones so I could try to steal some pointers from these guys. I hope to run into them again - I need lifting buddies.

So all in all good day.

WAY TO GO DARWIN AND EXTRAORDINARY!!!!
  • HIITMe
    HIITMe Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    I still havent had a chance to do that test someone mentioned... to determine if its ankle weakness, hip weakness or flexibility... Ive broken my ankle twice and had countless ankle sprains ( former ballet dancer) but somehow I dont think that is the issue.... I truly think its a simple flexibility issue.... Ive spent the last 10 years being over 250 lbs... and though I had bouts of cardio exercise ( in my weak efforts to lose weight) I never got back into stretching and such as I needed to... Ive now lost over 70 pounds...

Im leaving work early today and Friday is kinda quiet in there..... in OCD mode.....since I missed my Wednesday 5x5, instead of 5x5 today, Im going to do a powerlift class.... and hopefully get some tips on form from the instructor....then go back to 5x5-A on Monday with 35 lbs... 5x5-B on Wednesday with 35lbs and 5x5-A on Friday with 35 pounds... so the following Monday I SURELY should be able to add 5 lbs.....

Im going to be the geek in the gym today with my iphone & tablet because Im also going to try the stretches a_vette mentioned....
  • kit_katty
    kit_katty Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    Woot woot, I'm up to:
    Squat 5X5 75lbs
    BP 5X5 65lbs
    Row 5X5 65lbs

Question: I've been trying to keep my knees/legs parallel when I squat but they just don't go that way naturally... do I NEED to do this, or if it's comfortable, whichever way my legs want to go?

And does anyone else have problems with their elbow and/or wrists as the weight gets higher?

Thanks!
  • auddii
    Options
    Woot woot, I'm up to:
    Squat 5X5 75lbs
    BP 5X5 65lbs
    Row 5X5 65lbs

Question: I've been trying to keep my knees/legs parallel when I squat but they just don't go that way naturally... do I NEED to do this, or if it's comfortable, whichever way my legs want to go?

And does anyone else have problems with their elbow and/or wrists as the weight gets higher?

Thanks!

By parallel are you meaning keeping your knees/thighs parallel over your feet, hitting parallel by getting your butt down low, or keeping your feet/legs parallel with each other? From the videos I've seen, you're supposed to do the first two, but not the last one (feet should be pointed out and legs wider than shoulder width). I was watching the series So you think you can squat on youtube, and he said that people dropping their knees inward (and not keeping them parallel with their feet) is a major problem, and can lead to improper form and knee pain. I'm thinking this is my problem, but there are so many things that can go wrong in a squat...