January Check in and Chat - HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

Options

Replies

• vegannlg
    vegannlg Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I finally feel like I can check in instead of just lurk. Even though I joined a while ago, I've had so many interruptions in my program that I feel like I haven't been able to make any headway. It's all good though, You are a wonderful bunch of ladies and I always come away a bit wiser or at least entertained. :flowerforyou:

Squats -75
    OHP - 46
    Bench - 65 Felt so good!
    DL - 95... Like a boss! 27 pounds away from lifting my body weight, and scaring my husband! :laugh:
    Rows - 45 - just went back to the bar after doing DB rows for a while to work on form and strength. My shoulders were all creaky and popping.
  • fisherlassie
    fisherlassie Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    Wooooot! I finally lifted after - ugh! - two weeks!!! It felt amazing. It was a good session - I dropped weight a little bit but I felt so much better on my row form. SOOO much better. I managed 5x5 squats with the bar, with none of that pain. I do want to get a knee brace though, and I am going to try only increasing my weight on them once a week. I threw in hip adductor and abductor in hopes of supporting the squats. Did some core work and push ups. Great day!

Awesome!! Glad you are back without pain!! Good plan to go slowly!
  • fisherlassie
    Options
    I finally feel like I can check in instead of just lurk. Even though I joined a while ago, I've had so many interruptions in my program that I feel like I haven't been able to make any headway. It's all good though, You are a wonderful bunch of ladies and I always come away a bit wiser or at least entertained. :flowerforyou:

Squats -75
    OHP - 46
    Bench - 65 Felt so good!
    DL - 95... Like a boss! 27 pounds away from lifting my body weight, and scaring my husband! :laugh:
    Rows - 45 - just went back to the bar after doing DB rows for a while to work on form and strength. My shoulders were all creaky and popping.

27 lb away from body weight!!!! Awesome!!
  • fisherlassie
    Options
    Vette your abs are amazing!!!
  • extraordinary_machine
    extraordinary_machine Posts: 3,028 Member
    Options
    Great work everyone!!

Squats: 90 3x5
    Bench and Cable Rows: 80 5x5

The last 2 reps of set 4 and all 5 in set 5 of my bench were a bit shaky, but no roll of shame, so winning. I'll stick at 80 one more workout, then use fractionals to move up slowly.

There was a guy there who was alternating between the power rack and the ez-curl...taking forfckingever between sets, and got all huffy when I waited for him. I did bench first then stretched, then waited at least 10 minutes before he was FINALLY done. Why do I always run into those dudes? His squat form was atrocious too...barely parallel and his heels kept coming up. I wanted to throw something at him.
  • claritarejoice
    claritarejoice Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I just joined the girls gone strong organization on facebook - thanks. I really love gokaleo - there are few people I've found on the internet who share my views about loving yourself and believing in yourself just the way you are. What I read was great when I checked out her website.

Can you post the link for the chicken broccoli casserole?

Tonight's dinner will be potatoes, onion/bell pepper/carrot fajitas, and shrimp for me/sausage for my husband.

I'm doing workout A with 55 pounds tonight. I ran 3.2 miles this morning without stopping.

Muah!
  • extraordinary_machine
    Options
    Oh, I created a thread where we can post recipes and stuff...I called it Feed Me. Dorky, I know. I figured it would be nice to have all of our meal ideas/recipes in one place so we don't have to sift through here.
  • sarahz5
    sarahz5 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    Nice work Clarita!!!! Including on the running. :drinker:

Welcome vegannig! Great session!
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    Oh, I created a thread where we can post recipes and stuff...I called it Feed Me. Dorky, I know. I figured it would be nice to have all of our meal ideas/recipes in one place so we don't have to sift through here.

I'll sticky it!

I've never made a protein anything - I'm not actually very big on sweets and most of the recipes are sweet things, or things like protein bars that I don't eat. I do eat protein powder on occasion but I usually just put it in water. We bought some lactaid today though so I've got some in milk right now. I took a long time to find one that was actually ok-tasting (Trutein Chocolate covered strawberry and also the chocolate covered banana. the plain chocolate is just ok) like that.

Tonight we made some kind of sausage, onion, bell pepper thing over polenta. It was ok - calories worked out pretty darn good though. We're going to fiddle with it and see if we can make it better.
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    Oh and I also made my first ever protein pancake today.....SO EFFING GOOD! I'm totally hooked! 340 calories and 40g of protein YAY BABY!

****yes this is how bored I am on a Saturday afternoon. Why did I decide to start dating a guy that works up north 3 weeks out of 4? Alberta Girl Problems (which probably only fellow Canadians will understand lol)***

Hm, I really need to think about investing in protein powder and using it in recipes. One of the guys on my friends list posts a new protein recipe every day on his blog. Hmm.

And for the working up north, down in the south that's probably equivalent to dating someone who works offshore. Not that I'm dating anyone at all...

I am still using my Visalus shake powder....I don't order it anymore but have a crapload left from when I used it regularly. I will buy regular protein powder when it's gone but I have to say that I'm a little scared of the taste because the Vi stuff really does taste awesome!

And yes, you're right, it's probably very similar to someone that works offshore. Ugh. lol I'm sure that if this actually goes somewhere I will eventually happy when he goes away but eff, for right now in the beginning stages it REALLY sucks!
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Options
    I just joined the girls gone strong organization on facebook - thanks. I really love gokaleo - there are few people I've found on the internet who share my views about loving yourself and believing in yourself just the way you are. What I read was great when I checked out her website.

Can you post the link for the chicken broccoli casserole?

Tonight's dinner will be potatoes, onion/bell pepper/carrot fajitas, and shrimp for me/sausage for my husband.

I'm doing workout A with 55 pounds tonight. I ran 3.2 miles this morning without stopping.

Muah!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/542803-skinny-chicken-broccoli-casserole

Nia Shanks is another one you can follow on FB too :)

Edit to add: great work on the run and with the 55# workout!
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Options

Squats -75
    OHP - 46
    Bench - 65 Felt so good!
    \
    Welcome :happy: Great work on the lifts!
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    Oh and I also made my first ever protein pancake today.....SO EFFING GOOD! I'm totally hooked! 340 calories and 40g of protein YAY BABY!

****yes this is how bored I am on a Saturday afternoon. Why did I decide to start dating a guy that works up north 3 weeks out of 4? Alberta Girl Problems (which probably only fellow Canadians will understand lol)***

Hm, I really need to think about investing in protein powder and using it in recipes. One of the guys on my friends list posts a new protein recipe every day on his blog. Hmm.

And for the working up north, down in the south that's probably equivalent to dating someone who works offshore. Not that I'm dating anyone at all...

I am still using my Visalus shake powder....I don't order it anymore but have a crapload left from when I used it regularly. I will buy regular protein powder when it's gone but I have to say that I'm a little scared of the taste because the Vi stuff really does taste awesome!

And yes, you're right, it's probably very similar to someone that works offshore. Ugh. lol I'm sure that if this actually goes somewhere I will eventually happy when he goes away but eff, for right now in the beginning stages it REALLY sucks!

Re: powder - avoid the ultra low carb ones, is all I can say. The ones that are like "30 grams of protein! only 1 gram of carbs!" taste NASTY to me - I'm also way more sensitive to artificial flavors than most people so they're just ...blech!!

I really am very happy with trutein, the flavors I mentioned are about 5grams of carbs to 23 protein (if I recall right) and the carbs are because there's actual dried banana and strawberry powder/chunks in there, and real chocolate powder. Tastes like food instead of like MYSTERYFLAVORS!!
  • sarahz5
    sarahz5 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    I am so glad you mentioned the Trutein - I have been too lazy to research decent tasting protein powders but I have been meaning to. I love chocolate and strawberry together. I haven't been doing too bad hitting my protein with food, but I think a shake would be a nice option.
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Options
    Where can you buy Trutein? I wonder if I can get it in Canada? Is it reasonably priced?

Good tip about the carbs though...wouldn't have thought of that but then again I was more concerned with looking at sugar and sodium than carbs!
  • zorreena
    zorreena Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Do they have a vanilla one? I'm using Iso93 and I hate it because I can't stand the flavour of artificial sugar. I asked if they had any with real sugar and they looked at me like I was out of my mind. ;) in that case I'd rather have no sweetener and add it myself. I'm going to use this one all up and after that look into a better one. I just like vanilla cause I make my own concoctions by adding egg whites, cottage cheese and various other things. I'm current loving my cold boiled sweet potato, pumpkin spice, protein powder + liquid of choice. Tastes like pumpkin pie!
  • zorreena
    zorreena Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    In other news I had my session with the PT and it was great. Looks like I will be practicing deadlift form for a little while. Gonna have to start at a lower weight just for form. I can do all the weights in the SL app except for the overhead press. I can do the deadlift @ 95 but only with supervision until I get my form. I tend to be using my arms instead of my flutes. She said to just practice at home with no bar.

The overhead press I think I will be starting at 20 or 30lbs. There is no way I can do 45 with out bending my back.

So I'm excited and I can't wait to see what my results will be like in two months.
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Options
    In other news I had my session with the PT and it was great. Looks like I will be practicing deadlift form for a little while. Gonna have to start at a lower weight just for form. I can do all the weights in the SL app except for the overhead press. I can do the deadlift @ 95 but only with supervision until I get my form. I tend to be using my arms instead of my flutes. She said to just practice at home with no bar.

The overhead press I think I will be starting at 20 or 30lbs. There is no way I can do 45 with out bending my back.

So I'm excited and I can't wait to see what my results will be like in two months.

I always try to think of my hands/arms as only hooks when I'm deadlifting and that seems to help me :) And once you get going in your progressions you will definitely see some great results! One of the first things I noticed was in my thighs and my abs...YAY!
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I'm current loving my cold boiled sweet potato, pumpkin spice, protein powder + liquid of choice. Tastes like pumpkin pie!

Holy crap, that sounds awesome!! Hm, must think about embracing protein shakes. I'm not a fruit fan, but sweet potato and pumpkin spice I could do.

Also, note to self, if you want guys in the free weight section to talk to you, wear a microbrewery shirt. They came out of the woodwork today (although I'm pretty sure that one guy just likes talking and would probably talk to the weights if there was no one else around).

Failed at my OHP at 50# again. Boo. If I can't make it on Thursday I guess it's back to the bar only. I hate my weak arms! The insane talking bobble head guy asked me if I was actually going to do that when I had set up my deadlifts (105# yeah for bigger plates!). Not sure if he was thinking it's a lot of weight or that I was crazy with all my stacks of weights underneath. If only we had stands...

And knee is getting better, but still a little sore. I think I'll do another week of bar only and then start slowly adding weights. I'd rather look like a weakling than hurt myself more.
  • extraordinary_machine
    Options
    Auddii, have you thought about getting fractional weights, or asking your gym to get them? That's made all the difference in my OHP...so instead of failing at 50 and then going back to 45, you can move up in smaller increments.