January Check in and Chat - HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

Options

Replies

• Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    Auddii, have you thought about getting fractional weights, or asking your gym to get them? That's made all the difference in my OHP...so instead of failing at 50 and then going back to 45, you can move up in smaller increments.

I agree with the fractionals....life changing stuff in our lifting lives right there!

And good job picking up the guys with your microbrewery shirt :wink:
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    check their website, it lists distributors. Unfortunately they're a small company and they are having issues keeping up with demand. I need to order more too.
  • extraordinary_machine
    extraordinary_machine Posts: 3,028 Member
    Options
  • a_vettestingray
    a_vettestingray Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Quick check in:

Why is the internet so scary? According to webmd, I have a herniated disk...but I don't think I do. I bet its the SI flaring up or sciatic flaring (probably from my horrific coughing spells). My back really doesn't bother me, as much as right beside my butt crack on the right side, and a shocking like pain in my right foot when I move weird. Anyways, I am going to take it easy for a few weeks and not do any powerlifting. I really liked Jamie Eason's Livefit workouts, so I am going to do those (minus the squats) until I am pain free (hoping a week or two?). That way, I can still eat at a surplus and work on hypertrophy...I can come back to the strength training when I am healed.

I remember when I had tendonitis in my foot/leg...they did a full assessment at the sports medicine place. They did mention something about my hips; along with the anterior pelvic tilt, one side sits higher than the other...wonder if that has anything to do with it. Why do I have such ****ty biomechanics?:sad:

/rant

This blows.
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Options
    Quick check in:

Why is the internet so scary? According to webmd, I have a herniated disk...but I don't think I do. I bet its the SI flaring up or sciatic flaring (probably from my horrific coughing spells). My back really doesn't bother me, as much as right beside my butt crack on the right side, and a shocking like pain in my right foot when I move weird. Anyways, I am going to take it easy for a few weeks and not do any powerlifting. I really liked Jamie Eason's Livefit workouts, so I am going to do those (minus the squats) until I am pain free (hoping a week or two?). That way, I can still eat at a surplus and work on hypertrophy...I can come back to the strength training when I am healed.

I remember when I had tendonitis in my foot/leg...they did a full assessment at the sports medicine place. They did mention something about my hips; along with the anterior pelvic tilt, one side sits higher than the other...wonder if that has anything to do with it. Why do I have such ****ty biomechanics?:sad:

/rant

This blows.

Booo!!!!

And yeah, never google ailments....bad idea lol
  • extraordinary_machine
    Options
    Vette, I'm sorry that your *kitten* hurts. :laugh:

Seriously though, I pulled my SI joint out of wack when I was doing some funky deadlift from NROLFW and it hurt for-freaking-ever until I was able to get it back into place without it slipping. Your symptoms ound exactly like mine.. There's a great yoga practice that I do on yogaglo.com that's all about retraining your glutes to prevent SI issues. Also, if you Google "SI joint fix" there are some things you can do to help alleviate the pain.
  • alwyndacara
    alwyndacara Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    NSV alert!! I was showering after my workout and I can actually see definition in my thighs!!!

And the gap between them is getting bigger :bigsmile:
  • xidia
    xidia Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Quick check in:

/rant

This blows.

Oh, that sucks. Try an osteopath / chiropractor for the pelvic tilt - I get it too courtesy of mild upper-spine scoliosis (curve). They can usually put it back in place within a session for me. The scoliosis does, however, affect my form when lifting heavier stuff because my shoulders tilt with my twisted ribcage.
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Options
    NSV alert!! I was showering after my workout and I can actually see definition in my thighs!!!

And the gap between them is getting bigger :bigsmile:

YAY!!!!

I swear that the thigh gap is the greatest NSV ever!!!
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Auddii, have you thought about getting fractional weights, or asking your gym to get them? That's made all the difference in my OHP...so instead of failing at 50 and then going back to 45, you can move up in smaller increments.

I agree with the fractionals....life changing stuff in our lifting lives right there!

And good job picking up the guys with your microbrewery shirt :wink:

I actually have fractionals, I can throw up 47.5 pretty well, and after I fail I finish off my sets at that weight. I just am feeling stuck, which is annoying. Oh well. I'm sure at some point my arms will stop sucking...
  • HIITMe
    HIITMe Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    that pain, in the butt as well as electrical shock type of thing in my foot, sounds exactly like sciatic nerve stuff....i had it bad years ago but only get occasional flare ups now....better than chiropractor was physical therapy ( covered by my insurance with a co-pay)...
    im thinking Im going to get my PCP to get me weekly treatments for the next 6-8 weeks since my work schedule is going to be optimal for that period of time....cheaper than going to the Spa for massage

after Fridays workout, I woke up Saturday with tight hams and painful quads.... nothing big but kinda sore... took a Yoga class on Saturday.... didnt seem to help much initially but I also took my swimming class after and somehow then I felt good...

Anyhoo, today I went to Nike outlet and found lifting gloves on clearance for $5... after I got home I wondered why I didnt get more than one pair....
  • extraordinary_machine
    Options
    It took me a while to get to 50 lbs, but after that 52, 53, and 55 came much faster. Just keep plugging!! Women's shoulders are notoriously weak, so it just takes longer to lift the heavier weights.

I wish I was still doing the uneven bars...I'd be able to do so much cool stuff on them now that my shoulders are stronger. :laugh:
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    Deadlift day for me today and doing MUCH better - I'd stalled kind of hard due to endurance issues (kinda a big deal to go from doing 5 deadlifts to doing 15) and what I think now was a form issue. I wasn't hurting myself but I hold the arch in my back so firmly that it holds me back - or rather, that feels 'flat' to me, and what's actually 'flat' feels humped, but I got nick to watch and what feels humped (but more powerful) to me looks flat sooooo yay!

175x4 today. Its my worst lift, by far.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Guess who just realized that she dead lifted 95 instead of 105 (same as last time). I figure I'll get much better at lifting when I learn to add correctly...

Also, pretty much fell out of bed this morning. Yay Monday! At least I don't have to pick anything heavy up today.:frown:
  • a_vettestingray
    a_vettestingray Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Guess who just realized that she dead lifted 95 instead of 105 (same as last time). I figure I'll get much better at lifting when I learn to add correctly...

If I don't have exactly how to load each side of the bar written down before hand, I will completely mess up my workout. I can't add to save my life. Its rather embarrassing.

ETA: I miss food already. Amazing how quickly you get used to extra calories and how much it sucks to drop back down to maintenance...and not only my old maintenance (where I had six workouts added in) but my new sedentary maintenance :grumble: .
  • claritarejoice
    claritarejoice Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your encouragement!

Vette, I'm really sorry about your pain. I pray it goes away soon. I understand. I have a chronic shoulder spasm/pain thing. Ah, these mortal shells.

I use the vanilla Met-Rx protein powder from Trader Joe's.
  • xidia
    xidia Posts: 606 Member
    Options

I hate the fact that the gym work-out logging program is in kg, the Oly bar weights (deads & rows) are in kg as are the dumbbells (squats) but the studio bar weights (OHP & BP), my own logging app & my brain are in lbs. So right now I'm converting WAY, WAY too much between lb & kg every single workout. :frown:
  • darwinforyou
    darwinforyou Posts: 988 Member
    Options
    Man, totally missed a ton of stuff! I laid low this weekend from posting. My fiance had off all weekend, so we did a bunch of stuff for our wedding that is in 3 weeks and 5 days (who's counting??) and then had a wonderfully lazy day at home yesterday while it was snowing in the afternoon.

as for exchanging recipes.....YES! I seriously love to cook and actually cook at home all the time and am always trying out new recipes. So that is so totally right up my alley! Yesterday for dinner I made pork tenderloin in the oven with rosemary and garlic - turned out super juicy and awesome.

Do you guys have Vigo rice by you? If so - they have these nice small packets that are perfect for two people. The entire package is 2.5 servings at 190 a person. It's super good, too - I like to cooke mine a little longer till it gets nice and crispy rice pieces in it.

Vette - that really sucks about your SI - but I really recommend yoga!!!! My instructor has SI issues and he'll say specifically during class which stretch helps that or which one might aggavate it, too. So maybe if you have a Yoga class at your gym and talk to the instructor and see what they say. But Yoga could really help you get through this, plus keep you nice and limber and help with your flexibility. Other than being the literal pain in the *kitten* :D
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Options

If I don't have exactly how to load each side of the bar written down before hand, I will completely mess up my workout. I can't add to save my life. Its rather embarrassing.

ETA: I miss food already. Amazing how quickly you get used to extra calories and how much it sucks to drop back down to maintenance...and not only my old maintenance (where I had six workouts added in) but my new sedentary maintenance :grumble: .

I totally have to bust out the calculator on my phone when I'm loading bahaha. One time I loaded unevenly for DL and couldn't figure out WTF the problem was until the last rep OMG :laugh:

And I hear you about the food....kind of.....I *tried* to eat at maintenance (2400) last week. Rarely hit it as it's a lot of food but now this week I'm going to 2000-2200 and I'm already freaking out. Really, I didn't eat all 2400 last week lol But for you who has eaten like that for a bit, yeah, sucks!
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Options
    Man, totally missed a ton of stuff! I laid low this weekend from posting. My fiance had off all weekend, so we did a bunch of stuff for our wedding that is in 3 weeks and 5 days (who's counting??) and then had a wonderfully lazy day at home yesterday while it was snowing in the afternoon.

as for exchanging recipes.....YES! I seriously love to cook and actually cook at home all the time and am always trying out new recipes. So that is so totally right up my alley! Yesterday for dinner I made pork tenderloin in the oven with rosemary and garlic - turned out super juicy and awesome.

Yay for your wedding come up! So fun! BTW....you are just so pretty!

How did you do the tenderloin in the oven? Covered with a bit of water? What temp?