Weight Loss Surgery - Daily Conversation 2013

Options

Replies

• IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,350 Member
    Options
    Compudad- I agree, even with the minor things like occasional dumping and vitamin deficiency and any other minor issues I have had to deal with I would have surgery again in a heartbeat and I am not even to goal yet after 11 yrs. I could not even imagine what my life would be like if I still carried that 220 extra pounds around or most likely more by now and with 11 more years of age. I am grateful I was able to have the surgery and I never regret it!
    I totally agree Amy!! You are looking Marvelous my friend!! Good to see you back in the game. My WLS soul mate!! I am so glad to see you will never give up just like me. I know we both will make strides this year!:flowerforyou:
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    Hello Awyatt:

Thank you VERY MUCH for such an encouraging post! I needed to read that today. My therapist told me it may be a good thing that I was denied right now, because when she said I'll have to change how I enjoy myself with my friends (not have every outing involve food), it was hard to hear. She didn't say I could never eat out or have fun with friends with food involved, but she said early on, I'll have to find other ways to enjoy myself and kind of cut back on having food be the main part of the get-together!

Peace,
    Carlygirl412
    Your therpist is soooo right!! I am not as close to a few of my friends because we no longer have going out for food in common and that is all they wanted to continue to do. Since I could not give them to go to plays, movies, walk, gym, etc I let them go. We are still friends but not close friends anymore. I am more important than the friendships if they can not understand my needs. You have to start putting Carly 1st.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    Carly- I waited over 10 years after surgery to try therapy and that was a BIG mistake. It was the best thing I have ever done for myself. I always thought there was nothing mental about my weight I just got the genetic short end of the stick, well I did, but I also found out I have buried a lot of stuff in fat- feelings of inadequacy, fear of rejection, and an overall dislike of myself and my body to name a few. I went threw 2 rounds of group therapy and I would like to do more. It is amazing how much it has improved my self concept. For the first time since surgery I can almost look in the mirror and see the woman in the after picture not the woman in the before picture. It is a difficult but necessary part of weight loss in my opinion. I wish I had done it many many years ago.
    I really feel they should make 1 year of therphy a requirement before surgery. Especially for people who have to lose over 200 pounds. I really feel most people who are super morbibly obese are food addicts, binge eaters or compulsive overeaters. Whatever you want to name it they have it and they also have the highest risk and rate of regain because some refuse to get mental help. I know a man in a nearby congregation in my faith who refused to get a therpist or go to support groups. I had a chat with him after he had gained over half of his weight back and he ignored my recommendations. I begged him to just start attending the support groups and he refused. Hence to say he is now bigger than he was before he had the surgery. So sad indeed.

I also highly recommend support groups too!! If you do not have one in your area, please look into the phone support groups available. I find them very helpful to me. I sit in on at least on a month. One is at 7:00 cst the 1st Monday of every month and the other one is at 1:00 cst the 3rd Thursday of every month. Message me if you want the information for this meeting. They send out reminder emails too. You mute your phone if at work and cant participate. Sometimes on Thursday's I just listen because I am busy at work. If nothing else they help me to keep my head in the game.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    Hi Amy:

I think therapy is great! I've been in before, but not for long and at some point, I ran the show . . . meaning I chose the topic and the therapists never asked the hard questions or took me any deeper than I would let them. This time, I've met my match and then some! My counselor won't let me get away with any BS! This February will be four years! I'm happy to have her during this time in my life. When I lost weight before, I didn't have counseling and I fooled myself that my life would be "perfect." I had so many issues buried and not healed that I didn't know how to handle the weight loss. I got in all kinds of trouble and when things got really bad, I consoled myself with food and hid behind my fat because I gained every one of those 112 pounds back!

This time, even though I'm scared on several levels, I feel I'll have the support of counseling and I've grown and changed some things in my life. Congratulations to you on your therapy and beginning to see the real you and not the person hiding behind weight. I hope you continue to grow and learn about yourself and become who you want to be. It's not easy making changes; at least not for me. Sometimes I go kicking and screaming before I get there!

Peace,
    Carlygirl412
    I guess I was very lucky. The 1st theapist I ever had was a very good one. So I knew the the fakes a mile away and I did not waste their time or my time after one or 2 sessions.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    AT LAST I'M EATING LIKE A RNY PERSON AGAIN. IT MEANS KEEPING MYSELF "UNDER ARREST" SO THERE IS NO CONTACT WITH ANY "WRONG FOODS" THAT MAY FIND THEIR WAY INTO MY HOME. ABOUT TO FIX A LATE WELL PLANNED DINNER AND A SNACK FOR LATER. I'M HOLDING IT TOGETHER. BACK ON MY DIET FOR LIFE.
    GREAT MSW!! KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!:flowerforyou:
  • MSWDiet
    MSWDiet Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I really feel they should make 1 year of therphy a requirement before surgery. Especially for people who have to lose over 200 pounds. I really feel most people who are super morbibly obese are food addicts, binge eaters or compulsive overeaters. Whatever you want to name it they have it and they also have the highest risk and rate of regain because some refuse to get mental help. I know a man in a nearby congregation in my faith who refused to get a therpist or go to support groups. I had a chat with him after he had gained over half of his weight back and he ignored my recommendations. I begged him to just start attending the support groups and he refused. Hence to say he is now bigger than he was before he had the surgery. So sad indeed.

I also highly recommend support groups too!! If you do not have one in your area, please look into the phone support groups available. I find them very helpful to me. I sit in on at least on a month. One is at 7:00 cst the 1st Monday of every month and the other one is at 1:00 cst the 3rd Thursday of every month. Message me if you want the information for this meeting. They send out reminder emails too. You mute your phone if at work and cant participate. Sometimes on Thursday's I just listen because I am busy at work. If nothing else they help me to keep my head in the game.

MY PSYCH EVAL WAS TOTAL BS LIKE FOR SO MANY OTHERS. FORTUNATELY I DID NOT NEED THERAPY TO GET THE GRAVITY OF SUCCESS VS DISAPPOINTING RESULTS. PRE OP THERAPY IS A GREAT IDEA BUT FOR SEVERAL REASONS I DO NOT THINK IT SHOULD BE A REQUIREMENT.

FIRST, EVERYONE DOES NOT NEED IT. THERE ARE ENOUGH FORMS OF MENTAL HEALTH EVALUATION TO DETERMINE WHO SHOULD HAVE EXTENSIVE THERAPY FIRST. I'VE TAKEN MANY OF THESE EVALUATIONS AND THEY ARE MUCH MOR INVOLVED THAN THE PRE OP PSYCH ASSESMENT I HAD.

SECOND, IT IS COST PROHIBITIVE FOR MANY. HEALTH INSURANCE MENTAL HEALTH RIDERS OFTEN HAVE LIMITS TO COVERAGE WHICH WOULD LEAVE SOME IN MOST NEEDWITHOUT OPTIONS.

MOST IMPORTANT, SOME HEALTH RISKS NEED IMMEDIATE ATTENTION AND THE PATIENT NEEDS TO ADDRESS THE PHYSICAL ISSUES SOONER RATHER THAN LATER. THE RISKS ARE TOO GREAT.

SUPPORT GROUPS HOWEVER COULD BE STARTED PRE OP. YET, SO MANY WLS PRACTICES WAIT UNTIL POST OP TO GET YOU STARTED. PATIENTS NEED TO UNDERSTAND THE REALITY OF LIVING THIS LIFE. SO MANY HAVE A SIX MONTH PRE OP PERIOD FOR INSURANCE. THEY SHOULD BE IN SUPPORT GROUPS AS THEY PREPARE. LISTENING FIRST HAND THEY CAN BETTER UNDERSTAND THE NEW REALITY THEY FACE.
  • carlygirl412
    Options
    [/quote]
    [/quote]
    Your therpist is soooo right!! I am not as close to a few of my friends because we no longer have going out for food in common and that is all they wanted to continue to do. Since I could not give them to go to plays, movies, walk, gym, etc I let them go. We are still friends but not close friends anymore. I am more important than the friendships if they can not understand my needs. You have to start putting Carly 1st.
    [/quote]
    [/quote]

Hi Mollie:

You are right! Tonight I went to a line dancing class and had fun and a good workout. Then at the end, it was the instructor's birthday and they had birthday cake. They offered me to stay and have a piece. I said, no thank you, that would defeat what I'm trying to do. One of the ladies said oh, you can work it off next week. I laughed, but I also left and didn't have the cake. That was pretty easy, but it will be difficult with my friends. But I do understand what you're saying; if they can't support me or at least understand why I may have to cut back on the "food gatherings" then I may not be able to see them as often.

Thanks for the encouragement!

Peace,
    Carlygirl412
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    SUPPORT GROUPS HOWEVER COULD BE STARTED PRE OP. YET, SO MANY WLS PRACTICES WAIT UNTIL POST OP TO GET YOU STARTED. PATIENTS NEED TO UNDERSTAND THE REALITY OF LIVING THIS LIFE. SO MANY HAVE A SIX MONTH PRE OP PERIOD FOR INSURANCE. THEY SHOULD BE IN SUPPORT GROUPS AS THEY PREPARE. LISTENING FIRST HAND THEY CAN BETTER UNDERSTAND THE NEW REALITY THEY FACE.
    I agree on some of you points especially regarding cost of mental health sessions. Most support groups are free of charge and even if they charge they will waive charge if they see person is sincere and needs the help. I went to support groups for 2 years before having surgery and it was very educational indeed and at those groups I meet people who were successful and I also meet many patients who regained weight and were there to prepare for 2nd and 3rd surgeries which I totally do not agree with if the surgeon does not insist on mental health sessions because otherwise they will keep the cycle of surgeries going. And how long are they prepared to keep re-doing the surgeries.

Even newbies who call in on the telephone support group are surprised at how many are on the line who are trying to get back on track and re-focus.
  • ZenRach
    ZenRach Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Hi!

Has anyone noticed a difference in flu symptoms since having WLS (gastric-bypass in my case)? I just had the flu last week, and I noticed that although I was really nauseous, I never vomited. Sorry for the gross topic, but now I'm curious. :blushing:

Still flu related, I lost about 7 pounds after feeling yucky for a week, and gained back 2 right away. This week, it seems that 5 pounds are staying off, but I'm wondering now if I should really try to eat less. Does the metabolism get super-slow after being sick, and is weight gain super easy? I'd be so bummed if the scale suddenly takes a jump if I start eating 'normal' again. :tongue:
  • lovingvampiress
    lovingvampiress Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Very good day today. Got my call for Consultation with DR. Yadagar. Im excited and scared. A Million thoughts going threw my mind. Ive been on this long journey and am hoping nothing else comes up that stops me from getting my surgery done...
  • carlygirl412
    Options
    Very good day today. Got my call for Consultation with DR. Yadagar. Im excited and scared. A Million thoughts going threw my mind. Ive been on this long journey and am hoping nothing else comes up that stops me from getting my surgery done...

Hi Lovingvampire:

I know how you feel. I go back and forth from being absolutely positively sure that I want the surgery to wondering what in the world am I getting myself into. I keep thinking about the picture after I begin to lose weight, how much better I hope to feel and look and how healtheir I hope to be and getting off medications. Those thoughts bring me back to the place of wanting the surgery. I hope nothing comes up to keep you from getting surgery. I hope once I lose what Kaiser wants me to lose, they will approve the surgery. All the best to you!

Peace,
    Carlygirl412
  • 13turtles
    13turtles Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Hello to everyone! I am one month post-op RNY. It's been a great month! I lost 25 pounds, several inches, and have had very few issues so far. I have not had a dumping episode yet, and hopefully never will, but I have had a reflux issues. It was strange since it was something I ate one day and was fine with, but the next time I tried, it went down, and came right back up. I knew almost immediately that my stomach was not going to handle it, and was able to get to a restroom, so at least that part was good.

As for food overall, I have followed my plan very closely, gone to all of my appontments, and give myself some room to breathe. I hit my protein goals on most days, but don't stress if I am a few grams under. I avoid sugars that are not already a part of my plan (such as sugars in my protein powders) and severly limit my carbs. I decided before I had surgery that most carbs (breads, pasta) were out for me. They are "fillers" in my book and I just don't have as much to fill anymore! Luckily, I have always been a protein girl, so that worked in my favor.

Finally, I have already seen my diabetes go away. and some of my PCOS symptoms disappear. I couldn't be more excited! Sure, I eat less, but my life has seen so many improvements in one short month that I am so hopeful for the future!
  • access2003
    access2003 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    HI all: Trying to get back into logging, tracking etc.. looking for others on MFP to link up with.. I'm 5 years post bypass. Overall best decision I ever made for myself. I've moved twice since then and the workouts and fitness have gone up and down with the relos. I think I'll be in the same place for awhile. Add me if anyone is looking for others for motivation, conversation, and or encouragement..
  • DeeBrownBaker
    Options
    Hello all... I'm new to MFP and this group but I am glad I found it! I am 6 weeks post Vertical Sleeve surgery and I have lost a total of 49 lbs since I started this whole process...
  • anitadanafit
    anitadanafit Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Welcome and congratulations on your surgery. I am hoping that everything went well for you. You will love MFP. It is a great place to chart your calories and exercise, but the the best part is the support from everyone who is also working on losing weight and getting fit. Friend me if you want and maybe we can support each other.
  • carlygirl412
    Options
    Hello all... I'm new to MFP and this group but I am glad I found it! I am 6 weeks post Vertical Sleeve surgery and I have lost a total of 49 lbs since I started this whole process...

Hi DeeBrownBaker:

Congrats on your sleeve surgery. That is the operation I'm headed for. I finished the six-month program with Kaiser and then they wanted me to lose 12 pounds on my own; so that's what I'm working on now. If you would like to friend me, you can. I'd be very interested in your process and what you went through since you had your surgery. You know, how you got in all your protein and how much or little pain you felt post-op. I know everyone is different and your experience may not be my experience, but I'd like to read about it . . . if you're willing to share it. Thanks.

Peace,
    Carlygirl412
  • lovinmamaxo
    lovinmamaxo Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Hey all i am a newbie. I saw my surgeon today and i am having RNY done via the robot on March 5th, 2013 pre-op is Feb 20th. So very excited!!
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    Hey all i am a newbie. I saw my surgeon today and i am having RNY done via the robot on March 5th, 2013 pre-op is Feb 20th. So very excited!!
    Awesome!! Congrats on losing 91 pounds before surgery!! That is incrediable!! Keep up the good work!
  • Spunkielor
    Spunkielor Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hello all, I'm also new to this board. I had my preop visit today and am scheduled for RNY on february 6th. I am thankful for all the wonderful things shared and look forward to sharing with others.
  • Compudad
    Compudad Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Welcome and good luck. I had my RNY on December 5th and could not be more pleased with my progress.
This discussion has been closed.