Weight Loss Surgery - Daily Conversation 2013

Options

Replies

• IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,350 Member
    Options
    Happy Friday everyone!! :flowerforyou:

I just uploaded some before and after pictures I had to dig up for an annual dinner I will be attending March 14th for weight loss surgery patients.

With these pictures I am always reminded how far I have come over the years mentally and physically and I am truly thankful that I will never go back to the before pictures taken in 2004......

I am going to figure out how to make them side by side in one picture by my 3 year anniversary on MFP which also occurs in March.

Have a wonderful weekend and thanks again for your wonderful support!! :flowerforyou:
  • mhorn2142
    mhorn2142 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Yay feel free to add me. I am 8 mos. post op and love my new healthier me.
  • cecep5248
    Options
    Happy New Year!!!! Really getting back to everything this week! Went to the gym and upgraded my membership so I can go to the new location by my house, shopped for good healthy food, and made a plan with my nutritionist and bariatric doctor. I am going to make progress this year!:drinker: I ordered a month's supply of Medifast products to use for snacks and small meals for convenience. My doctor said he didn't want me eating only the Medifast program but he liked the products as a helper to get the 6 meals a day in.

Hi there, I too use MF products and have lost 30+lbs since September. I am using up the remaining product and trying to add more exercise and low carb foods to my diet. The best of luck to you. I had the surgery in 1993 and after all this time I still have problems getting all my food in. I regained by eating junk, drinking alcohol and not exercising. My goal is to be more aware of what I eat and learn to finally deal with emotional eating and eating when bored.

The very best to you...
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    Hey, this is the DAILY conversation thread and no one has said anything for four days! Cat got your tongue? (And what would a cat want with my tongue anyway?)

I'm hanging in there hoping for my topamax to kick in and start working so I can start working out again. I'm also planning to start working on my book every day in Feb. I've only been doing it one a week since Nov. ended.
  • carlygirl412
    Options
    Hey, this is the DAILY conversation thread and no one has said anything for four days! Cat got your tongue? (And what would a cat want with my tongue anyway?)

I'm hanging in there hoping for my topamax to kick in and start working so I can start working out again. I'm also planning to start working on my book every day in Feb. I've only been doing it one a week since Nov. ended.

Hi MacMadame:

May I ask what is Topamax? And may I ask are you working on a book about your weight-loss journey? When did you have surgery and what did your surgeon tell you about how long before you can workout again? Thanks. And all the best to you!

Peace,
    Carlygirl412
  • jastypes
    Options
    All good here. I am on Day 5 of --- oh, god, I don't even know what to call this -- abstinent eating? sticking to my plan? progress? Whatever it is, it feels awesome.
  • Kmags66
    Options
    Had my first "dumping" experience, wow...not fun. I guess the pork roast was a bad idea. At least I know where the line is now.

I feel for you. I have only had one true "dumping" experience, I tried to have a little hard ice cream at a work function. I thought if I just try a little. Well needless to say I thought I was going to die. My body went into shock and my face turned bright red and I was sweating and then the chills and sick to my stomach the whole nine yards. I have never had ice cream again! Lesson learned.
  • MacMadame
    Options
    Hi MacMadame:

May I ask what is Topamax? And may I ask are you working on a book about your weight-loss journey? When did you have surgery and what did your surgeon tell you about how long before you can workout again? Thanks. And all the best to you!

Peace,
    Carlygirl412
    Topamax is a medicine for people with seizures or migraines. I have post-concussion syndrome and I can't workout until I stop getting headaches. I don't know when that will be. The medicine takes about 6 weeks to start working and I've been on it for a little over a week.

When I first had surgery, my surgeon said I could workout at about 3 weeks out but before that he liked us to be walking and stuff.

My book is about my struggles with my weight and body image and things like that. So it's not just the surgery and losing weight and triumph. :laugh: I start with my childhood and how I chunked up prior to puberty and started the whole yo-yo dieting thing and how I slowly dieted my way up to having WLS and then how I lost the weight and started exercising and became an Ironman! Whee! :smile:
  • saeverman
    Options
    Since I am officially back on track I decided to log my food. I thought I was getting in enough protein, boy was I wrong! So I fixed myself a protein shake. Now I have to start exploring for some good recipes. So I got in exactly 90 grams.

So I was curious as to what the current recommendations are for protein intake? It's been 10 years since I had my RNY. I had regain due to mainly steroids, but let's be honest some poor eating choices to go along with them.

Stephanie
  • mhorn2142
    Options
    Since I am officially back on track I decided to log my food. I thought I was getting in enough protein, boy was I wrong! So I fixed myself a protein shake. Now I have to start exploring for some good recipes. So I got in exactly 90 grams.

So I was curious as to what the current recommendations are for protein intake? It's been 10 years since I had my RNY. I had regain due to mainly steroids, but let's be honest some poor eating choices to go along with them.

Stephanie

So protein intake depends on your dr. My dr. is happy with 35 gms. a day. He is more of a whole foods guy. He is vegetarian and says there is no real evidence to support the need for high protein. He says to eat for health. That's what I do and even on my 800 calorie diet, 30-50 avg protein in take, 50 % carb (mostly fruits and veggies), and not vitamin supplements, I had perfect blood work 2 weeks ago at 8 mos. post op. That being said he would still like me to take at least my vitamin D and B12.

I am not a dr. I do not play one on tv. I only wanted to share that each of us is different. But eating for health instead of weight has been a huge lesson for me and one I still have to remind myself of.
  • MacMadame
    Options
    Well I've done a lot of reading on this subject and I think your doctor is wrong. There is a ton of data out there that supports a high protein diet both in the early days when we're healing and on a VLCD and later on just because most of us have office jobs and we don't really need the quick energy that carbs provide but the steady energy of protein.

Current traditional recommendations for protein for normies are around 55-65 g a day for your typical female who doesn't do hard labor or is some sort of athlete. If you are within 3 years of your RnY, you are still malabsorbing so you need to up that. If you believe the experts who recommend more like 70-90 g of protein a day, then a malabsorbing RnYer needs 100 g in order to absorb 70-80 g.

Plus, many carbs trigger an insulin response in people that causes them to store fat and to over eat. This article explains the science behind it.

http://www.motherearthnews.com/Natural-Health/2008-10-01/Dietary-Fat-Health-Weight.aspx

So even if you aren't trying to eat more protein, you really need to limit carbs, at least processed carbs.

P.S. Most people's blood work is "perfect" at 8 months out. You're still working off your stores. It's at 2 years out that most people who don't supplement adequately start to suffer.
  • mhorn2142
    Options
    I do realize that his views are not traditional. And I know a lot of people will disagree with him. His results have been very good. Look him up, Dr. Garth Davis. That being said, I do not claim to be overly knowledgeable in this area. But I would also point you to a study called the Blue Zones Project. I think it is very interesting and it does support a lot of what he believes in terms of health and nutrition. He does not believe in filling your body with chemicals or drinking your calories in protein drinks. But these are his opinions based on his years of study and practice. I am also not at all saying that people should follow my example. It is best that everyone do their own research and find what works for them and listen to their own doctors. In this surgery, we are all different. I couldn't eat eggs for 6 months as I would vomit profusely, however my dad who also had the surgery ate them almost exclusively once he could eat soft foods. I could only eat ice for water intake for weeks, where most people I know can still only drink room temperature. I can eat all the fruits and veggies I want, but meat is very uncomfortable. My dad at 3 years out cant eat hardly any fruit with out dumping. I think each persons body handles and reacts to surgery differently. What works for me may not work for you and vise versa.

Good luck to all on your journey.
  • MacMadame
    Options
    I am well aware of who Dr. Garth is. Yes, he has gotten good results. But that was before he became a vegan and joined PETA and now tells his patients ridiculous things like broccoli is a good source of protein.
  • ZenRach
    ZenRach Posts: 20 Member
    Options

Stephanie

I'm in the same boat, and I did the same thing - I made a protein shake this morning. Your post reminded me of that, and of my 3 year-old's face after he tried my protein shake. Priceless! I don't think he'll ever acquire a taste for my protein shakes. Heck, I barely can get them down. Poor little guy just couldn't get the taste out of his mouth - not even after drinking lots of water. :ohwell:
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options

Welcome back MacMadame!!
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    Join us Tonight for a Bariatric

TeleSupport Group Meeting!

Join members of the BSCI staff and Dream Team Tonight at 6:00 PM, MT for our exceptional brand of support via telephone! BSCI's FREE TeleSupport Groups are held twice each month; the 1st Monday and the 3rd Thursday. TeleSupport Groups last about one hour, but you may come and go as you please. All WLS patients, supporters, investigators are welcome to participate, learn, share, or just listen in.

First Mondays (Evening)
    5:00 PM Pacific, 6:00 PM Mountain, 7:00 PM Central, 8:00 Eastern

January 7th July 1st
    February 4th August 5th
    March 4th September (no class)
    April 1st October 7th
    May 6th November 4th
    June 3th December 2nd

Third Thursdays (Afternoon)

11:00 AM Pacific, 12:00 Mountain, 1:00 Central, 2:00 Eastern

January 17th July 18th
    February 21st August 15th
    March 21st September 19th
    April 18th October 17th
    May 16th November 21st
    June 20th December 19th

Just call 712-432-9998
    Enter BSCI Participant
    code # 602024
    (toll charges may apply)
  • sclark70
    sclark70 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hello to everyone! I am one month post-op RNY. It's been a great month! I lost 25 pounds, several inches, and have had very few issues so far. I have not had a dumping episode yet, and hopefully never will, but I have had a reflux issues. It was strange since it was something I ate one day and was fine with, but the next time I tried, it went down, and came right back up. I knew almost immediately that my stomach was not going to handle it, and was able to get to a restroom, so at least that part was good.

As for food overall, I have followed my plan very closely, gone to all of my appontments, and give myself some room to breathe. I hit my protein goals on most days, but don't stress if I am a few grams under. I avoid sugars that are not already a part of my plan (such as sugars in my protein powders) and severly limit my carbs. I decided before I had surgery that most carbs (breads, pasta) were out for me. They are "fillers" in my book and I just don't have as much to fill anymore! Luckily, I have always been a protein girl, so that worked in my favor.

Finally, I have already seen my diabetes go away. and some of my PCOS symptoms disappear. I couldn't be more excited! Sure, I eat less, but my life has seen so many improvements in one short month that I am so hopeful for the future!

Congrats on the impressive weight loss. I see that this was posted on the 18th and you said you were one month out. Did you have surgery on the 18th of December?? I had my RNY on December 18th too and fee great!! I too have had no issues thus far and can't wait to see what the next 30 days brings!

Good Luck!
  • tyrannanora
    tyrannanora Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hey, way to go, sclark!! I'm still waiting for my surgery date but I hope to be able to get your kind of fantastic results. I'm a diabetic and really looking forward to losing the darned pills. You are just teh inspiration I was looking for this morning! thanks!
  • MacMadame
    Options
    So I'm kind of annoyed. According to my BodyMedia FIT and MyFitnessPal, for the past two weeks, I've been posting an average deficit of 250 calories a day. And my weight hasn't budged one bit! Bah. Stupid scale!
  • Spunkielor
    Spunkielor Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Well, tomorrow is the big day, preop hasn't been too bad, haven't taken a bite out of my arm yet...lol
This discussion has been closed.