Feed Me!!

Options
We're badass b!tches that like to eat...post your recipes!

Replies

• Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    Well I mentioned those protein pancakes so here is the link to the recipe I used!

http://oxygenmag.com/Nutrition/Articles/Oatmeal-Protein-Pancakes.aspx

Super easy and tasty. I did add a little vanilla and cinnamon with the banana though. Next time I'm going to try it without the banana but maybe chocolate chips instead *gasp*!
  • a_vettestingray
    a_vettestingray Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Another protein pancake recipe - picky kid tested and approved :happy:
    http://www.runningtothekitchen.com/2012/04/perfect-protein-pancakes/

28g Protein
    Serves: 1

Ingredients
    6 tablespoons buckwheat flour
    2 tablespoons almond flour
    2 tablespoons vanilla whey protein powder
    ¼ cup cottage cheese
    ⅓ cup liquid egg whites
    ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
    ½ teaspoon cinnamon
    ¼ teaspoon baking powder
    3 tablespoons milk

Instructions
    Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl and whisk until smooth and fully incorporated.
    Heat pancake griddle to medium and grease with butter or baking spray.
    Pour batter and cook on each side for 1-2 minutes.
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    I just made another one that I found this morning, similar to Vette's but less a few items:

1/2 cup oats
    1/2 cup cottage cheese
    3/4 cup egg whites
    1/2 tsp. cinnamon
    1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
    1/2 scoop protein powder (I used 2 scoops Vi because it's what I have...26 grams in 2 scoops worked well)
    1/8 tsp. baking powder

Mix all ingredients together in a blender until it resembles pancake batter. Pour into a non-stick skillet and cook for 2-3 minutes on each side.

Mine came out to 462 calories and 64 grams of protein! YAY BABY!!!
  • extraordinary_machine
    extraordinary_machine Posts: 3,028 Member
    Options
    I'm making these tomorrow--this is from MarthaStewart.com

For the right consistency, use a thick Greek yogurt. You can prepare (but not cook) the burgers up to a day ahead, and then cover and refrigerate until you're ready to use.

Prep Time 35 minutes
    Total Time 35 minutes
    Yield Serves 4
    Add to Shopping List
    Ingredients

1/2 cup rinsed quinoa
    1 medium carrot, cut in large chunks
    6 scallions, thinly sliced
    15 ounces great northern beans, drained and rinsed
    1/4 cup plain dried breadcrumbs
    1 large egg, lightly beaten
    1 tablespoon ground cumin
    Coarse salt
    Ground pepper
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    1/2 cup plain nonfat Greek yogurt
    1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
    4 pitas (each 6 inches)
    1/2 English cucumber, thinly sliced diagonally

Directions

1. In a small saucepan, bring 3/4 cup water to a boil; add quiona, cover, and reduce heat to low. Cook until liquid is absorbed, 12 to 14 minutes; set aside.
    2. In a food processor, pulse carrot until finely chopped. Add cooked quinoa, half the scallions, beans, breadcrumbs, egg, cumin, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper; pulse until combined but still slightly chunky.
    3. Form mixture into four 3/4-inch-thick paties (dip hands in water to prevent sticking). If too soft, refrigerate 10 minutes to firm. In a large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium; cook burgers until browned and cooked through, 8 to 10 minutes per side.
    4. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine yogurt, lemon juice, and the remaining scallions; season with salt and pepper. Serve burgers in pita topped with cucumber and yogurt sauce.

Know this about me...I LOVE to cook and I think I'm pretty good at it, but I hardly ever measure anything--I do everything to taste.
    So, this is just a rough estimate:

6 servings
    125 cals
    23 carbs
    7 protein
    1 fat
  • a_vettestingray
    Options
    Does anyone have a good (tested) recipe for black bean burgers?
  • darwinforyou
    darwinforyou Posts: 988 Member
    Options
    Ummmm morningstar???? hahahaha - no here's one.....

1 can black beans

3 cups cubed sweet potatoes, peeled (yeah, so don't peel a day ahead of time, I learned that lesson)

3/4 cup sweet corn frozen, fresh or grilled

1/2 red onion finely chopped

3 cloves garlic

1/2 cup quinoa

1 tbsp olive oil

1/3 heaping cup almond flour/or whatever you want

2 tbsp roasted sunflower seeds

salt to suit taste

black pepper to taste

1 tsp cumin
    1 tsp oregano
    1/4 cayenne
    1 tbsp hot sauce

Cook the sweet potatoes and until soft in whatever method you prefer. While those are cooking preheat the oven and line a baking sheet with aluminum foil (totally saves on dishes and nonstick surface to boot!) to 375.

Once potatoes are cooled, add half the black beans and mash them with a fork.

Then add remaining ingredients.

Form into 10 patties about 1/2 inch thick. Please each patty onthe baking sheet and bake for 30 minutes, flipping the burgers halfway through the cooking time. Remove from oven and serve.

Nutrition: 132 calories per a burger, protein 5 g, fiber 4.5 , carbs 21
  • darwinforyou
    Options
    Are you guys on pinterest at all? That's where I get a ton of my recipes....
  • a_vettestingray
    Options
    :heart: Thai food!
    Planning on making this something this week:
    Chicken Coconut Curry
    Makes: 6 servings, about 1 1/2 cups each

1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into bite-size cubes
    6 teaspoons curry powder, divided
    3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
    2 tablespoons coconut oil or canola oil, divided
    1 large yellow onion, chopped
    1 tablespoon chopped garlic
    1 14-ounce can "lite" coconut milk
    1 14-ounce can reduced-sodium chicken broth
    4 cups 1-inch chunks Yukon Gold potatoes (about 3 medium)
    1 cup sliced carrots
    1/2 cup chopped celery
    3/4 cup frozen peas
    1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
    1 tablespoon packed brown sugar

1. Place chicken in a medium bowl. Sprinkle with 1 teaspoon curry powder and 1/4 teaspoon salt; toss to coat. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook, stirring once or twice, until mostly browned, 6 to 8 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
    2. Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon oil in the pot and add onion and garlic. Cook, stirring often, until the onion is starting to soften, 2 to 4 minutes. Stir in the remaining 5 teaspoons curry powder and cook, stirring, until fragrant but not browned, 30 seconds to 1 minute. Add coconut milk, broth, potatoes, carrots, celery and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and bring to a boil over high heat, stirring often. Reduce heat to medium-low to maintain a gentle simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until the potatoes and carrots are tender, 10 to 12 minutes.
    3. Return the chicken to the pot and add peas. Increase heat to high and continue cooking until the chicken is cooked through, 4 to 5 minutes more. Remove from the heat and stir in cilantro and brown sugar.

Per serving: 346 calories; 12 g fat (8 g sat, 1 g mono); 63 mg cholesterol; 31 g carbohydrate; 2 g added sugars; 29 g protein; 5 g fiber; 574 mg sodium; 934 mg potassium. Nutrition bonus: Vitamin A (77% daily value), Vitamin C (29% dv), Potassium (27% dv), Iron & Magnesium (16% dv).
  • extraordinary_machine
    Options
    I love Thai, but I'm afraid to cook it...but that recipe looks good.

I'm on Pinterest--I've found some good stuff there. I'm soccerdot if you wanna find me.

Also, Sarah and I contributed to this blog: itsdinnertime.blogspot.com

It hasn't been updated in a while (I'm an updater and I've slacked for about a year, now) but there's some yummy recipes on there.
  • darwinforyou
    Options
    I love Thai, but I'm afraid to cook it...but that recipe looks good.

I'm on Pinterest--I've found some good stuff there. I'm soccerdot if you wanna find me.

Also, Sarah and I contributed to this blog: itsdinnertime.blogspot.com

It hasn't been updated in a while (I'm an updater and I've slacked for about a year, now) but there's some yummy recipes on there.

Just tried finding you but it didnt' come up with anything - I'm under darwinforyou@yahoo.com
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    French toasted oats: This is my super simplification of a few different recipes I've seen.

1/2c oatmeal
    1 large egg
    Pumpkin pie spice (or whatever you have handy)

Whisk egg in a bowl, then mix in oats. Spoon onto a hot griddle, and shape pancake-ish. Sprinkle on your seasonings of choice. Cook for a few minutes on either side. I usually top mine with peanut butter, but you can do whatever you like.

146 cal 14c/6f/9p
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    That Chicken Curry sounds awesome. I want to try that.

We apparently eat a lot more meat than you guys (you know they make normal burgers out of MEAT right?), but this is my go-to for meatloaf:
    http://allrecipes.com/recipe/turkey-and-quinoa-meatloaf/

Really tasty! I don't serve it with anything, generally. Maybe some vegetables.

Also we do taco's fairly often, 96/4 ground beef, taco seasoning, and taco shells. half a pound of ground beef and 6 taco shells (heated in the oven so no additional fat) is 600 calories (42c, 21f, 54p) and then you can adjust up and down for stuff like cheese and fewer tacos.

I'm always worried about protein content of any recipe because I do not like to use protein powder if I can avoid it.

Also good for quick food is:
    Pita Pocket (Sara Lees are really good and soft textured - I think they're about 180 though, slightly higher calories)
    Can of tuna
    2 wedges of laughing cow sundried tomato flavor

Spread the laughing cow inside. Stuff with tuna, seasoned or add veggies however you like (i put spices in mine, or at least salt and pepper), Pretty good snack. Lots of protein for the calories. You could add sandwich type veggies but I never have any on hand so I don't. Except bell peppers but I tend to just eat those.

We've made some so-so recipes lately so I won't inflict those on you, but these are the best brussel sprouts evar:
    http://www.ocregister.com/articles/sprouts-347786-brussels-vinaigrette.html

Actually I made up my own random vinaigrette the other day, which was still good, so you can tweak that. We make these ALL THE TIME though. Its our go-to veggie.
  • a_vettestingray
    Options
    Tameko: I don't think you eat more meat than my family does, lol...that's where our Costco Membership really pays for itself.
    I will have to try that meatloaf recipe...we were just talking about that last night!

Here is a quick lunch/dinner/snack thing that I have been making from years - learned it from my mom, lol.

Tuna Patties:

1 Can of Tuna
    1 egg
    spices that you like (I use black pepper, cayanne pepper, and crushed red pepper)
    Used to use saltine crackers, but have been experimenting lately and found that plain instant oats work well, too (yay for whole grains!) Just keep playing with it until you get the right consistency to make patties.

Form into patties (two or three per can) and fry up in a skillet, flipping once.

Great on sandwiches or plain and super high protein!
  • extraordinary_machine
    Options
    Oh, Tameko, I love meat...I marinated a flank steak in soy sauce, ginger, garlic, s/p, basil and lime juice, grilled it, and had it with a baked potato for dinner last night.

I made a simple chicken soup for dinner tonight--it was cold and it sounded good. I'm a stock snob, so I make my own chicken and veg stock. I'm trying to get brave and make my own beef stock one of these days.

My dad owned a meat distribution company from he time I was in 7th grade until last year, so I've never had to pay for beef or pork for years. Now that he's retired, we're trying for one meatless meal a week because my husband and I are both teachers and we don't make enough to support my meat habit. :laugh:
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    Oh and we made this the other day (just polished off the leftovers):
    http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/14/health/skillet-beet-and-farro-salad.html?_r=0

Her instructions have you boil the farro for a bit too long so keep an eye on it. you do want it soft so it absorbs the dressing but we didn't find it needed nearly as long as she made it sound. Alternately it may not need to soak as long - either way it just didn't need as much time as the recipe calls for IMO.

I would also cut down the oil just a bit if you are NOT putting it on top of salad greens - we didnt' and I felt there was a little too much oil although on top of salad might have made the difference.
  • darwinforyou
    Options
    Tameko that sounds similar to a wheat berry salad I made - 'cept the beets were cranberries instead. I really enjoyed the texture of the wheat berry, which looks a lot like farro, so I'm assuming they are of the same family.

Extraordinary - I would love an unlimited meat supply!!! That's awesome that you had that and you totally fiend for it - would you eat so much meat you'd get the meat sweats??? I had the meat sweats once....I overdid it at a rodizio grill a few years back and my body was overheating from so much delicious meats. Never again though......sweating meat leads to people not wanting to be near you.

I also made awesome fish tacos last night - which is why I wanted to write here in the first place: It came out of my head so bare with my recipe...

I used lake perch instead of a tilapia or halibut - I am anti-tilapia and have been since I saw a dirty jobs episode on a tilapia farm. I refuse to eat those bottom feeding, cannibalistic suckers. I'm a fish snob, especially pan fish. I like my fish fresh and wild - not farm raised.

few fillets of perch - chopped up
    couple of limes juiced and grated
    cilantro - half a cup finely chopped
    2 small onions finally chopped
    fresh garlic chopped to your desired flavor
    salt
    pepper
    cumin
    broccoli slaw
    corn tortillas - I used a local brand
    fage 0% for sour cream

So I sauteed the perch with the garlic and spices - once cooked I gave it a healthy shot of lime juice and some fresh cilantro.

On the side i combined the cilantro and chopped onion also with some more lime.

While all of this was cooking i wanted my broccoli slaw to be sauteed a little so put that in another pan with a couple tsps of evoo.

Then when all was finished - steamed my tortillas and put them all together and I have to say they were delicios!!!

i actually have tons leftover - but I'm going to eat it with the rest of the broccoli slaw like a salad. I love broccoli slaw!

Go forth my children and eat fish tacos!
  • extraordinary_machine
    Options
    I love me some fish tacos...we fry ours, so it makes it not-as-healthy, but oh so good! We use tilapia from Costco and I refuse to believe anything Darwin just said because it's just about the only fish I'll actually eat. :laugh:
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Salad of Goodness

1 can black beans
    1 can sweet white corn
    1 can chick peas
    1 cup grape tomatoes (halved or quartered depending on size)
    1 yellow or orange bell pepper chopped
    1/2 red onion chopped
    handful cilantro chopped
    2 avocados chopped (if out of season, guacamole can be used instead)
    4 oz. feta crumbled
    juice of two small limes (for some reason the large ones I buy are always dry)
    about 2 tbsp red wine vinegar (should be equal amount as lime juice so may vary)

Mix, refrigerate.

It's a ton of chopping, but so good. I've also varied it up by using different veggies like jicama thrown in.
  • rachelilb
    rachelilb Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Bump...I need to try all of these!
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    Omg Audii that looks so good. I guess that's where it got the name.

Fun fact: In ancient times avocados were named "testicle fruit," and young maidens were forbidden from picking them because they were too suggestive.