Feed Me!!

Options

Replies

• Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    So I guess us Canadians call those wonton wrappers "eggroll wrappers" and I bought a crap pile because I have a feeling my kid might actually like something I make in these silly little things! Oh and I might find them quite tasty also :laugh:

We will try the pizza bites tomorrow for lunch and the lasagna cups Friday!

Whoop whoop! Thanks ladies! :flowerforyou:
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    May the schwartz be with you!

It's official, I think I love you... and the food you make.
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    http://www.tablespoon.com/recipes/lasagna-cupcakes-recipe/1/ These are the ones that I've made.

Who knows, maybe Canadians consider wonton wrappers something else, look what you guys did to bacon!!!! Just sayin'...... :D

Bahaha Have you had Canadian bacon though? It's pretty BADA$$ :laugh:

@Vette....what are pizza bowls???!!!! I like that idea!

I was so mad when I moved and ordered eggs benedict and it was NOT candian bacon. It was a huge slab of ham. WTF. I also miss Tim Horton's coffee like whoa.

For you haters:wink: Ham and canadian bacon traditionally come from different cuts, and canadian bacon tends to be much leaner. The more you know!

I use coconut oil for most of my cooking. You can get expeller pressed oil that is steam cleaned, and doesn't have the coconutty flavor. It never goes rancid which is a plus. It also has several different uses besides cooking. It typically has a higher smoke point than olive oil, but it depends on how they're processed I guess.

If you care food advisory (if not we can still be friends:smile: ) Both corn and rapeseed (canola) are 2 of the most genetically modified plants. My personal view on gmo's is we don't know enough about them to prove they are safe (no proof of harm though either) and I think safe is better than sorry when it's a pretty easy thing to avoid. Corn and canola oil are very high in omega 6's which while necessary are way too high in the SAD. For those not familiar with omega 3 and omega 6's think of them as sodium (omega3) and potassium (omega 6) you want to be consuming them in a balance, but our food industry makes sodium way easier to get than potassium. I've also read that pretty much all commercial vegetable oils are already rancid then bleached and sold; I've only read this on "eat super clean and naturally or you'll die tomorrow" websites so I'm slightly dubious.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    My take on GMOs is that everything MIGHT kill you. But most things don't. I mean I have concerns about them from a social/economic and environmental perspective, but from a health perspective I don't see the rationale (its just very very fast hybridization and breeding....and also hybridizing things that don't have the capability to combine in the wild but speciation is sometimes just due to lack of interest/matching cycles so that's fine),

But I'm also too lazy to mess with anything but a big bottle of olive oil and a few oils for flavors (walnut oil, sesame oil, etc). Also my mom gave me grapeseed oil as a 'high smoke point oil' but I don't think I've ever used it.

PS now I want eggs benedict. Also, they stopped making it with canadian bacon (mostly) here because a) cheaper b) ham comes in bigger slabs (for cheaper) but we all know the real point of eggs benedict is the hollandaise anyway.
  • a_vettestingray
    a_vettestingray Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    If you care food advisory (if not we can still be friends:smile: ) Both corn and rapeseed (canola) are 2 of the most genetically modified plants. My personal view on gmo's is we don't know enough about them to prove they are safe (no proof of harm though either) and I think safe is better than sorry when it's a pretty easy thing to avoid. Corn and canola oil are very high in omega 6's which while necessary are way too high in the SAD. For those not familiar with omega 3 and omega 6's think of them as sodium (omega3) and potassium (omega 6) you want to be consuming them in a balance, but our food industry makes sodium way easier to get than potassium. I've also read that pretty much all commercial vegetable oils are already rancid then bleached and sold; I've only read this on "eat super clean and naturally or you'll die tomorrow" websites so I'm slightly dubious.

Hippy! J/K But we have a guy at work who talks about those kind of food issues all the time. It doesn't change the fact that I don't like ham, or canadian bacon. :laugh:

All the pork talk did cause me to do a pork sirloin tip roast this week. Took the lazy way out though:

1 piece of pork
    1 extra large sweet potato
    chopped celery
    baby carrots
    dried minced onion
    rosmary
    salt
    pepper
    garlic

Brown pork in a skillet. Dump contents into crock pot. Add two cups of water. Cook for 6 hours on high. Lazy, but nurtitious and delicious.

But that does remind me...I made Chicken Tomatillo and Cumin Carrots in the Crockpot a couple weeks ago...and the slow cooked tomatillos combined with the cilantro and what not made some FAB salsa verde! I will post the recipe when I get home, as its from a cookbook. (not that I am at work)
  • extraordinary_machine
    extraordinary_machine Posts: 3,028 Member
    Options
    I have fond memories of my dad making me Canadian bacon sandwiches...he'd fry it in butter, slather it in mustard, and slap it on bread. :smile:
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Options
    Awww fittree thanks for having my back :happy: Not sure where all my fellow Canadians are, but they sure as he!! aren't on this thread :laugh:

I made the pizza bites for my kid just now...pepperoni and cheese for her and bigger ham, green pepper and cheese for me. Sweet Jesus they were a hit! Thanks!

Lasagna cups tomorrow!
  • a_vettestingray
    Options
    I gonna have to try the lasagna cups...that sounds wonderfully delish. I mentioned somewhere else that I am really only a fan of the "innards" of the lasagna and I feel like the noodles are a waste - filler.
  • darwinforyou
    darwinforyou Posts: 988 Member
    Options
    So I do weekly meal planning, mostly to save money and because I like to cook - and before my plague takes full effect I wanted to get my grocery shopping done, and thought I'd share my menu for the next however many days with you guys. Most of this is homemade, or semi-homemade:

1. Enchiladas -
    2. Mexican Pizzas - like the taco bell ones but not taco bell.
    3. Shepherd's Pie
    4. Philly Cheesesteak Sloppy Joes
    5. BBQ Chicken cupcakes
    6. Turkey Tortilla soup
    7. Chicken Tikka Masala
    8. Lentil and Chicken Sausage with Spinach Stew
    9. Open face turkey sandwiches

For my fast meals I keep hamburgers,on hand, breakfast and pizza.
  • tameko2
    Options
    So do you also have a shopping list that goes with that? What's it like? That's the area where nick and I don't do so good - we're slowly cooking a little more, but we spend a lot per meal ANYWAY because we don't really plan any of it. Plus we only like to make weird things like beet and farro salad, apparently.
  • darwinforyou
    Options
    Yep, I always write my list out before I go. I pick meals that will make leftovers or can be remade from leftovers. Like my turkey soup and open face turkey sandwiches are frozen leftover turkey from thanksgiving. Otherwise I keep my pantry stocked with essentials:

Chicken stock
    Rice
    Tomatoes - puréed, diced, paste
    Worcestshire sauce
    A1
    Beans

3 of my meals require ground beef so I can buy a bigger package and save money.

It took a bit to get used to but I try and keep it simple - not overly complicated.

Hope that helps!
  • a_vettestingray
    Options
    Otherwise I keep my pantry stocked with essentials:

Chicken stock
    Rice
    Tomatoes - puréed, diced, paste
    Worcestshire sauce
    A1
    Beans

We operate much alike. I always have on hand:

long grain rice, short grain rice, quinoa, pasta(s), assorted beans, marinara, chicken stock, beef stock, canned diced tomatoes, canned chilis and jalapenos, coconut milk, canned tuna, eggs, frozen veggies, ground beef, ground turkey, shrimp, salmon, chicken breast, roast and steak on hand (frozen to last).

My spice cabinet is always stocked with pretty much anything I will ever need...so when I make my weekly menu, I only have to pickup things like fresh veggies, herbs, or some odds and ends that I run out of.
  • darwinforyou
    Options
    Ha!!! That's very similar to mine!!! I got too tired to type it all out...

Minus pasta - just cause I stopped eating pasta a while ago...
  • tameko2
    Options
    re: pasta - this stuff http://www.barilla.com/aggregator/product/1301 Basically a little extra protein and fiber but in a 'normal' textured and tasting pasta. Its not I mean, like eating meat or anything, but it lets you have a serving of pasta and not totally give up all hope of hitting your protein goal, plus its really filling.

I have a tough time with cooking, my preference and what I grew up with would be Japanese sticky rice, and some meat and veggies or pickles (or both), fish a couple times a week. But that is a) kind of time consuming and REALLY difficult to shop for (at least where I live now, I'm so far from any asian markets and the fish at regular grocery stores isn't fresh imo) and b) not really to my husbands taste at all, its food he'll eat when I'm like "I MUST HAVE JAPANESE FOOD TONIGHT OR I WILL DIE" but if I told him we were going to start eating rice 5 times a week I think he'd freak. He's also got some weird physical thing where rice makes him feel SUPER full (and then hungry later) and I conversely don't really digest wheat and dairy that well so the food that makes him feel the best, physically, is a sandwich, and for me a sandwich makes me feel kind of bloaty and I don't really enjoy them.

So we have to compromise in weird ways, like corn tortillas even though he'd rather have flour and quinoa instead of rice.

*edited to add* and the tie in to this is, because I didn't grow up eating pasta, lasagna, pizza flavors, meat covered in sauces, etc I'm pretty meh on that sort of food in general. But unfortunately that's the kind of stuff that's actually widely recipe'd and also easy to shop for and prepare and store...sigh.
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Options
    So I do weekly meal planning, mostly to save money and because I like to cook - and before my plague takes full effect I wanted to get my grocery shopping done, and thought I'd share my menu for the next however many days with you guys. Most of this is homemade, or semi-homemade:

1. Enchiladas -
    2. Mexican Pizzas - like the taco bell ones but not taco bell.
    3. Shepherd's Pie
    4. Philly Cheesesteak Sloppy Joes
    5. BBQ Chicken cupcakes
    6. Turkey Tortilla soup
    7. Chicken Tikka Masala
    8. Lentil and Chicken Sausage with Spinach Stew
    9. Open face turkey sandwiches

For my fast meals I keep hamburgers,on hand, breakfast and pizza.

I request more information on the BBQ Chicken Cupcakes puh-lease!!!!!
  • a_vettestingray
    Options
    As promised, Chicken Tomatillo and Cumin Carrots:

2lbs baby carrots
    1 Can reduced sodium chicken broth
    1 teaspoon ground cumin
    12 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
    1 teaspoon salt, divided
    1 teaspoon black pepper
    1lb tomatillos, huskes removed and rinsed
    1/2 small onion
    2 jalapenos, seeded
    2 cloves garlic
    1 tablespoon lime juice
    1 teaspoon sugar
    1/2 cup fresh cilantro
    5 cups long grain rice

1. Combine carrots, broth and cumin in slow cooker. Season chicken with 1/2 teaspoon salt and black pepper. Transfer to slow cooker. Top with tomatillos. Cover and cook on low 4 to 6 hours or high 2 to 3 hours or until chicken is cooked through. Transfer chicken to serving dish and carrots into another dish.
    2. Place tomatillos, onion, cilantro, jalapenos, garlic, lime, sugar and 1/2 teaspoon salt into processor or blender. Processed until finely chopped. Serve sauce over chicken and rice.

serves 12

one serving = 396 cals, 9g fat, 43g protein, 34g carbs, 567mg sodium, 4g fiber
  • a_vettestingray
    Options
    Another good slow cooker recipe - Mu Shu Pork Wraps

1lb pork tenderloin, cubed into 1/2 inch pieces
    1 bell pepper, red, cut into 1 inch pieces
    1 package (4 oz) shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and sliced
    3 tablespoons hoison sauce
    1 tablespoon soy sauce
    1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce or hot sesame oil
    1 tablespoon cold water
    1 tablespoon corn starch
    4 high fiber tortillas
    2 tablespoons plum sauce
    1/2 cup chopped cilantro

1. Combine pork, peppers, mushrooms, hoisin sauce, soy sauce, and hot oil in slow cooker. Cook on low 3-4 hours or high 1.5-2 hours or until veggies are tender and pork is barely pink in the center.
    2. Stir water into cornstarch in small bowl until smooth, whisk into slow cooker. Cover, cook on high 10 minutes or until sauce is thickened.
    3. Spread plum sauce onto tortilla, top with pork mixture and cilantro, roll and enjoy.

1 roll = 240 cals, 5g fat, 31g protein, 25g carbs, 754mg sodium
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Options
    I am officially addicted to wonton wrappers.

Yesterday was the pizza bites.

Lunch today was buffalo chicken bites.

Supper tonight was lasagna cupcakes.

Dessert is going to be apple cinnamon wanton bites with frozen yogurt.

I might have to look into wonton wrapper rehab at this rate.

Oh and BTW....ALL OF THE ABOVE ARE SO EFFING GOOD. Although I haven't made the dessert ones yet, but I'm feeling confident :laugh:

These suckers have revolutionized my life!
  • darwinforyou
    Options

Oh and BTW....ALL OF THE ABOVE ARE SO EFFING GOOD. Although I haven't made the dessert ones yet, but I'm feeling confident :laugh:

Try a sloppy joe one!!! That's my favorite!!!
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Options

Try a sloppy joe one!!! That's my favorite!!!

I didn't find a sloppy joe one! What's in it?! I did find a BBQ chicken one though....yes please!

ETA: I just made the apple cinnamon wantons and sweet Jesus what a great alternative to apple pie! Hooked!