Feed Me!!

Options

Replies

• a_vettestingray
    a_vettestingray Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I made the Coconut Curry Chicken tonight. Subbed in mongolian fire oil, added a red bell pepper, and added extra curry paste. Tasty!

Highly recommend and pretty easy to make!
  • sarahz5
    sarahz5 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    Holy ****. There is a lot of food here. :love:
  • extraordinary_machine
    extraordinary_machine Posts: 3,028 Member
    Options
    Sarah, it's What's For Dinner? all over again...I love it!!

After all the wonton wrapper talk, I've decided I'm getting some this weekend. My meal plans went out the window this week due to underplanning and the plague.

Fajitas tomorrow night...if I'm feeling saucy, I might make my own flour tortillas.
  • sarahz5
    sarahz5 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I was going to mention flour tortillas but everything I had to say flew out of my head. :laugh:

It's What's For Dinner.... before we knew all the recipes that everyone makes. :laugh:
  • extraordinary_machine
    Options
    And assigned names...like Carrie Chili and Michelle Soup. :laugh:
  • darwinforyou
    darwinforyou Posts: 988 Member
    Options
    The great thing about won tons is you can put anything in them!!! For sloppy joe you can just use any recipe or manwich. Hmmmm yum! Maybe I'll try it with my Philly sloppy joes....
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    Yeah, they really do take on the flavour of whatever is in them which is so great! I read that a lot of people make a ravioli with them which is a fantastic idea and way better from a calorie standpoint but yet even in protein!

Love these things!

Oh and I found a perogy recipe....I'm Ukrainian....definitely trying that one out!
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Ummmm morningstar???? hahahaha - no here's one.....

1 can black beans

3 cups cubed sweet potatoes, peeled (yeah, so don't peel a day ahead of time, I learned that lesson)

3/4 cup sweet corn frozen, fresh or grilled

1/2 red onion finely chopped

3 cloves garlic

1/2 cup quinoa

1 tbsp olive oil

1/3 heaping cup almond flour/or whatever you want

2 tbsp roasted sunflower seeds

salt to suit taste

black pepper to taste

1 tsp cumin
    1 tsp oregano
    1/4 cayenne
    1 tbsp hot sauce

Cook the sweet potatoes and until soft in whatever method you prefer. While those are cooking preheat the oven and line a baking sheet with aluminum foil (totally saves on dishes and nonstick surface to boot!) to 375.

Once potatoes are cooled, add half the black beans and mash them with a fork.

Then add remaining ingredients.

Form into 10 patties about 1/2 inch thick. Please each patty onthe baking sheet and bake for 30 minutes, flipping the burgers halfway through the cooking time. Remove from oven and serve.

Nutrition: 132 calories per a burger, protein 5 g, fiber 4.5 , carbs 21

Those sound great. I had been wanting a recipe for these myself. Not sure how I can convert the measurements into ounces or grams though. I am uk based.
  • extraordinary_machine
    Options
    Gaelwyn, there's a ton of online converters that you can use...I wonder if there's a recipe converter, so you can just input the recipe and it converts it....hmmmmm.

Here's a converter...http://southernfood.about.com/library/info/blconv.htm
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Gaelwyn, there's a ton of online converters that you can use...I wonder if there's a recipe converter, so you can just input the recipe and it converts it....hmmmmm.

Here's a converter...http://southernfood.about.com/library/info/blconv.htm

Ahh, thanks muchly :)
  • darwinforyou
    Options
    Yeah, they really do take on the flavour of whatever is in them which is so great! I read that a lot of people make a ravioli with them which is a fantastic idea and way better from a calorie standpoint but yet even in protein!

Love these things!

Oh and I found a perogy recipe....I'm Ukrainian....definitely trying that one out!

Love!!!! Share!!! Pierogis are among some of my favorite foods!!!!! Is that the same thing???
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Options

Love these things!

Love!!!! Share!!! Pierogis are among some of my favorite foods!!!!! Is that the same thing???

Yeah it's the same thing...I'm just too lazy to write it the proper way lol Basically just make the filling of a perogy....so whatever kind you like. Potato and cottage cheese, potato and onion, potato and cheddar, etc....and fill those little suckers up! You boil these ones though so you would have to make sure they are sealed well, but you could also fry them. Mmmmm fried perogies are so effing yummy!
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    mmmm pierogies. I had never had them until I moved here. Carb heaven really. I made some real ones from scratch once for my bf. Cheddar+potato variety. If anyone wants to come over for cheat day we can do it up. Otherwise wonton pierogies are a great idea! So smart Vegas. Those buffalo chicken bites sound amazing too. Maybe I just need a snack...
  • darwinforyou
    Options
    mmmm pierogies. I had never had them until I moved here. Carb heaven really. I made some real ones from scratch once for my bf. Cheddar+potato variety. If anyone wants to come over for cheat day we can do it up. Otherwise wonton pierogies are a great idea! So smart Vegas. Those buffalo chicken bites sound amazing too. Maybe I just need a snack...

Me thinking of alternatives.....You could use pureed cauliflower rather than mashed potatoes, that way it could fit into a regular day rather than "cheat".
  • darwinforyou
    Options
    Tonight for dinner I'm making shepherd's pie - well, it would actually be cottage pie since it's with ground beef rather than lamb.

I use

1 lb ground sirlion 95% lean
    1 small can tomato paste
    garlic - as desired
    rosemary - crush as desired
    peas
    carrots
    sliced potatoes

Brown the sirloin and add the peas and carrots to cook with them. As your seasoning and tomato paste - place into a caserole dish. Take your potatoes that are sliced, mix with olive oil - light salt - place over the top of the groud beef - bake at 350-400 until the potatoes are browned and crispy.

Super good on a cold night.
  • a_vettestingray
    a_vettestingray Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Not to one up your Shepherd's Pie...but this is my preferred recipe (I really like the sweet potatoes and rosemary combo), via Skinnytaste:

Servings: 6 • Size: 1 pie
    Calories: 250 • Fat: 6 g • Carb: 34 g • Fiber: 6 g • Protein: 16.5 g • Sugar: 3 g
    Sodium: 304 mg (without salt)

For the potatoes:
    1-1/2 lbs sweet potatoes, peeled, diced
    3 cloves garlic
    1/2 cup 1% milk
    1/4 cup fat free chicken broth*
    2 tbsp reduced fat sour cream
    salt and pepper to taste

For the filling:
    1 lb 93% lean ground turkey
    1 tsp olive oil
    1 medium onion, diced
    1 celery stalk, chopped
    1 parsnip, diced
    2 cloves garlic, diced
    8 oz mushrooms, diced
    10 oz frozen mixed vegetables
    2 tbsp flour (leave out to make gluten-free)
    1 cup fat-free low-sodium chicken broth*
    2 tsp tomato paste
    1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
    1 tsp freshly chopped rosemary
    salt and pepper
    paprika

Boil sweet potatoes and garlic in a pot of salted water until cooked and soft. Drain and mash with chicken broth, sour cream, salt and pepper.

Preheat oven to 400°F.

In a large saute pan brown turkey; season with salt and pepper. When cooked, set aside on a plate. Add olive oil to the pan, then add the onion and sauté one minute. Add the celery, parsnip, salt and pepper to taste; cook about 12 minutes, until celery is soft.

Add garlic and mushrooms; sauté another 3-4 minutes. Add flour, salt and pepper and mix well. Add frozen vegetables, chicken broth, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, rosemary, cooked turkey, and mix well. Simmer on low about 5-10 minutes.

In 6 oven safe individual dishes spread 1 cup of the meat mixture on the bottom of each dish. Top each with 1/2 cup mashed sweet potatoes. Use a fork to scrape the top of the potatoes to make ridges; sprinkle with paprika. Bake 20 minutes or until potatoes turn golden. Remove from oven and let it cool 10 minutes before serving
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Options

Me thinking of alternatives.....You could use pureed cauliflower rather than mashed potatoes, that way it could fit into a regular day rather than "cheat".

No alternative for this girl in the name of perogies and all things sacred....it completely goes again everything in my Ukrainian genetics to make a perogy using mashed cauliflower :laugh: I'll take the starch and all of it's yummy goodness :drinker:
  • darwinforyou
    Options
    I've tried shepherd's pie with the sweet potatoes - I like it, but I like the slices and how they get nice and crispy! Num! And I need the beefy flavor lol

Though I do love the addition of parsnips! I'll have to try that.

Worchresrheeh is one of my favorite flavors - that and A1 steak sauce. So good!!!
  • extraordinary_machine
    Options
    I love me some A1...I'll eat it with my fries instead of ketchup. Yum!

We're FINALLY having fajitas tonight--chicken and pork. I made a pork shoulder in the crock pot a couple weeks ago and froze 1/2 of the meat. I coated the shoulder in salsa, cocoa powder, salt, pepper, and garlic powder and cooked until it fell apart. At the time, we did tacos with it, but it will be good with fajitas as well.

I made buffalo chicken dip last night to munch on during the game. This totally isn't my recipe, but I make it all the time for parties and whatnot, so all of my IRL people think it's mine. :laugh:
    Cooked chicken breasts (I pressure cooked 4 of them and then shredded)
    Frank's Red Hot
    1 C ranch
    1 C shredded cheese--I use a cheddar/colby blend
    8oz block of cream cheese--I use the Neufewhateverit'sspelled cheese instead

Marinate the shredded chicken in the red hot for at least an hour--I just add enough so it's coated with some extra. If the chicken absorbs it, I'll add a bit more.

Then, soften the cream cheese, mix it in the chicken with 1/2 of the shredded cheese and the ranch. Bake at 350* until it's heated and melty, add the rest of the shredded cheese and bake until that's melted. I served mine with Triscuits, but it's good with Fritos, tortilla chips, whatever.
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Options
    I love me some A1...I'll eat it with my fries instead of ketchup. Yum!

We're FINALLY having fajitas tonight--chicken and pork. I made a pork shoulder in the crock pot a couple weeks ago and froze 1/2 of the meat. I coated the shoulder in salsa, cocoa powder, salt, pepper, and garlic powder and cooked until it fell apart. At the time, we did tacos with it, but it will be good with fajitas as well.

I made buffalo chicken dip last night to munch on during the game. This totally isn't my recipe, but I make it all the time for parties and whatnot, so all of my IRL people think it's mine. :laugh:
    Cooked chicken breasts (I pressure cooked 4 of them and then shredded)
    Frank's Red Hot
    1 C ranch
    1 C shredded cheese--I use a cheddar/colby blend
    8oz block of cream cheese--I use the Neufewhateverit'sspelled cheese instead

Marinate the shredded chicken in the red hot for at least an hour--I just add enough so it's coated with some extra. If the chicken absorbs it, I'll add a bit more.

Then, soften the cream cheese, mix it in the chicken with 1/2 of the shredded cheese and the ranch. Bake at 350* until it's heated and melty, add the rest of the shredded cheese and bake until that's melted. I served mine with Triscuits, but it's good with Fritos, tortilla chips, whatever.

That dip is the best *kitten* ever! And what I used in my buffalo chicken wanton bites....minus the ranch! Sooooo super yummy!