You're probably eating more than you think.

Options

Replies

• mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    What do you guys do about alcohol and fruit juice that you cook with? I heard that it burns off when you cook it down? Should it be logged or not?

I am a Chef and former catering company owner. Yes, you count it. Any alcohol evaporates off but that really get's into splitting hairs . If you are making a braise like beef bourguion or braised short ribs, it should be included in the recipe. If it's a pan sauce where you are deglazing like a picata, count everything that you put in to make the sauce. If it's a topping sauce like a l'orange sauce, (the only one I could think of off the top of my head that has fruit juice) again, count everything you use to make the sauce.

One of the most usefull and least utilized tools on this site is the recipe builder. It's awesome!! You plug in your ingredients and amounts and servings and it calculates it all for you!! Having built recipes from scratch the hard way, looking up the nutritionals for each ingredient, I can tell you this is an awesome too!! Perfect for calculating when you are making sauces with wine of brandy or fruit juices.
  • thekyleo
    thekyleo Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    **** calories, **** logging, **** everything at this point
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    **** calories, **** logging, **** everything at this point

I am not sure I understand your point. Could you expand without the words that get autobleeped out?
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    It's amazing what you "think" you're eating until you throw it on the digital scale. Cereal was a big eye opener for me. I think I typically eat 3 servings!

Actual serving sizes for cereal are pathetically small - they are one of the big culprits imo.

Yeah...pretty much why I don't eat cereal, except a small, carefully weighed amount of Kashi in my Greek yogurt. :)
  • thekyleo
    Options
    yes, i would be glad to. I am really am tired of trying to figure out who to believe when it comes to how much i should should eat and what's my TDEE, BMR and all of the other science crap that confuses the hell out of me. At this point, with the weight I've lost, i want to stop because there is no answer anyone can give me. it's just regurgitation from other things they have seen or read
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    yes, i would be glad to. I am really am tired of trying to figure out who to believe when it comes to how much i should should eat and what's my TDEE, BMR and all of the other science crap that confuses the hell out of me. At this point, with the weight I've lost, i want to stop because there is no answer anyone can give me. it's just regurgitation from other things they have seen or read

I personally don't see any problem with regurgitation as long as you're regurgitating good information that you have a good understanding of.
  • danasings
    Options
    Do most digital scales have all the detail show in the video? Showing fat, fiber, protein...etc?

Not that I've seen...I have two and they both weigh just grams and ounces.
  • danasings
    Options
    I'm one of the odd ones in that even though I've been at this 500+ days, I'm still in love with my food scale and still weigh everything I eat. I freely admit I'm a bit anal about it and it drives my husband nuts. I think cereal and pasta were the most depressing things to learn the true serving size of, lol.

I think another thing to point out is to pay attention to pre-recorded foods in the database ... I've seen some chicken breast entries in there that range from 15 to 60 calories an ounce ... for plain boneless skinless chicken breast. I know I've viewed some people's diaries and saw that the item they chose from the database is no where near the true calorie count of the item. If the calories of an item in the database seem too good to be true, they probably are. When in doubt, look up the nutritional value on a separate site and plug in your own entry if you can't find an accurate one.

I do the same thing!! And the database has an incredible amount of inaccuracies, so I end up adding many things and marking them as (correct) in the description. Just an FYI to you all. :wink:
  • thekyleo
    Options

I personally don't see any problem with regurgitation as long as you're regurgitating good information that you have a good understanding of.

That's the problem, I don't understand any of it and people just throw out numbers at me and I basically have no understanding of it
  • thekyleo
    Options
    I weigh every single thing i eat, including small squirts of condiments, i work out 6 days a week and i now have stopped losing weight all together
  • Keto_T
    Keto_T Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I just joined. Thanks for the info and I can't wait to delve into it more later.

I am a horrible grazer, nibbler. I am trying hard to balance the anal retentive OCD with normal, real-life. I do try to log all condiments but I often miss extra bites. Blah. I try to leave a few calories at the end of the date to account for it.

Just to throw a monkey wrench into this topic further and FYI: I work for a biotech company that uses calibrated scales and analytical balances. I can bring home calibrated weights for scales and balances. My food scale at home isn't overly accurate for weighing and it's never to my good. Moving scales, uneven surfaces, non solid surfaces, too much weight, vibration from another appliance (blender), and many other factors can throw off accuracy-in addition to the accuracy that wasn't there in the first place. Not much we can do about at home without driving ourselves crazy.
  • marvybells
    marvybells Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Do most digital scales have all the detail show in the video? Showing fat, fiber, protein...etc?

Not that I've seen...I have two and they both weigh just grams and ounces.

i recently bought a digital scale for under $20 on Amazon, it has the ability to calculate the value of Calories, Sodium, Protein, Fat, Carbs, Cholesterol, & Fiber. (name is " Cuissential Slim Digital Nutritional Kitchen Food Scale " )

I find myself not even using that feature though because you have to look up the food code in a little booklet they give you which for me is not all that convenient...i just hop online & look stuff up
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    It's amazing what you "think" you're eating until you throw it on the digital scale. Cereal was a big eye opener for me. I think I typically eat 3 servings!

Ice cream was my "eye opener".
  • thekyleo
    Options
    and i'm dropping this group since i obviously cannot find help here
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,688 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the reminder. I have been noticing lately that I'll forget to log a handful of pretzels or just half a cookie. I also go over my calories almost every day by a glass of wine or two. I've also been maintaining with just two pounds to go for the last two months.
  • SideSteel
    Options

At what point in this journey would you say that your jimmies became rustled?
  • thekyleo
    Options

At what point in this journey would you say that your jimmies became rustled?

well aside from the obvious sarcasm i'm getting. it's been recently, everyone tells me to eat more, eat less, exercise more, exercise less. There is not one right answer and i've stopped losing weight. I read lyle's article, don't understand it really
  • Gapwedge01
    Options

Does not appear to me that you are asking for any help just venting. Maybe the stress you appear to show here is causing you to stall. Just sayin'.:ohwell:
  • thekyleo
    Options
    ok, i'll ask a question. How do i find my TDEE and BMR and do they even matter
  • SideSteel
    Options
    ok, i'll ask a question. How do i find my TDEE and BMR and do they even matter

Start by reading this thread. If you have questions about something in this thread, please be specific about your question and we will try to help. And yes these things matter.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets