You're probably eating more than you think.

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    and i'm dropping this group since i obviously cannot find help here

At what point in this journey would you say that your jimmies became rustled?

well aside from the obvious sarcasm i'm getting. it's been recently, everyone tells me to eat more, eat less, exercise more, exercise less. There is not one right answer and i've stopped losing weight. I read lyle's article, don't understand it really

We have not actually advised anything to you are yet as you have not asked any questions, all you have done is make a few aggressive comments.

To be perfectly honest, if you make the statements that you did, what type of response do you expect?

I will give you some more reading after looking at your diary however: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/why-big-caloric-deficits-and-lots-of-activity-can-hurt-fat-loss.html
  • ok, i'll ask a question. How do i find my TDEE and BMR and do they even matter

Here is a place to start
    >http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/

I am not sure why you appear angry or frustrated, but there are folks in this group that can help if you just ask. There is a sticky note above that has a list of questions to answer then someone will be happy to give you an assessment. Maybe try in that manner and see if you get some responses.

And yes....BMR and TDEE matter.
  • thekyleo
    thekyleo Posts: 632 Member

well aside from the obvious sarcasm i'm getting. it's been recently, everyone tells me to eat more, eat less, exercise more, exercise less. There is not one right answer and i've stopped losing weight. I read lyle's article, don't understand it really

We have not actually advised anything to you are yet as you have not asked any questions, all you have done is make a few aggressive comments.

To be perfectly honest, if you make the statements that you did, what type of response do you expect?

I will give you some more reading after looking at your diary however: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/why-big-caloric-deficits-and-lots-of-activity-can-hurt-fat-loss.html

I apologize, but can you understand the frustration that I have? It's been going good and the last 2-3 weeks..nothing
  • Sarauk2sf

I apologize, but can you understand the frustration that I have? It's been going good and the last 2-3 weeks..nothing

I can totally understand frustration with weight loss - but I am not sure why that is being taken out on us and our group.

Weight loss is not linear and water weight can completely over-shadow 'real' weight loss. If you respond to the questions here in a new thread, we can try to help: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/817167-asking-questions-about-your-intake-providing-info
  • and i'm dropping this group since i obviously cannot find help here

2-3 weeks? :laugh: Try 3 months.......
    > that's me. Yes, it frustrating. But educate yourself and listen to what more informed people have to say. You did yourself a huge favor first of all by coming to this group. Staying on the general forums will get you 3000 different answers to the same question from people who don't have a clue.
  • thekyleo

I can totally understand frustration with weight loss - but I am not sure why that is being taken out on us and our group.

Weight loss is not linear and water weight can completely over-shadow 'real' weight loss. If you respond to the questions here in a new thread, we can try to help: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/817167-asking-questions-about-your-intake-providing-info

Alright, i posted the answers to the questions. Help whenever you can, i understand you are busy
  • thekyleo
    I used the Scooby calculator and it gave me 2700 calories, that is really high or no?
  • caseythirteen
    caseythirteen Posts: 956 Member
    This is a great video showing the inaccuracies and how the calories add up when measuring v weighing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVjWPclrWVY

YES! This is the video that made me go out and get a scale the next day.

Ditto! I couldn't wait to get mine after I watched that. I absolutely love having it now. I'm sure I'm still off but I like knowing I'm not nearly as off as I likely was before. I like that I don't have to use so many measuring cups and spoons in a day too! Love the tare feature.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member

Alright, i posted the answers to the questions. Help whenever you can, i understand you are busy

Where did you post this? Make a new thread in this group please.
  • I used the Scooby calculator and it gave me 2700 calories, that is really high or no?

Did you post your answers to the questions to a separate new thread? I can't find them. Anyway, I am just a student here same as you. Your answers will be assessed I promise.

I will let them respond to your 2700 calorie question. I am guessing that is your calculated TDEE and not your BMR. If that is your TDEE that is not high, but you won't eat that much. That would be if wanted to maintain. You take a percentage cut off the TDEE to eat at a deficit. My TDEE is about the same. I am 6'0" 232 pounds, M, age 60. My BMR is just over 2000 and my TDEE is similiar to yours. They will help you get your weight loss started again. Be patient.
  • thekyleo
    i just quote the questions and replied to them
  • Sarauk2sf
    i just quote the questions and replied to them

Could you link to where you posted. The actual thread with the questions itself is locked so people cannot respond in that thread - a new thread needs to be started for each person.
  • thekyleo
    1) What's your current intake of calories, on average? This is TOTAL CALORIES EATEN so this would include anything you eat for exercise calories. In other words, how much are you eating?

2) What's your current average intake of protein, carbs, and fats, in grams?

3) Do you use a food scale and measure everything?

4) Do you track all of your intake, daily? (Everything?)

5) Do you take cheat days or days off?

6) How much weight have you lost so far?

7) What is your activity like, both exercise and non-exercise? (big difference between a construction worker and a desk job) and did you change that activity withing the last couple of months. If so, what changed.

8) How long have you eaten at your previous amount and what happened in that time frame?

9) What's your height, current weight and if you know it, bodyfat%?

10) If you're stalled, for how long and is it a complete stall (zero change in weight)?

1. about 2200 calories, i exercise about 1100 of them off usually
    2. about 90g protein, 40 g fat, 200g carbs
    3. Yes i use a food scale to measure everything, even condiments
    4. I log everything in as far as what i eat and drink
    5. I don't take cheat days or take days off
    6. I have lost 57lbs currently
    7. I work a desk job, but i lift between 3-4 days a week and run 3 days a week
    8. i ate at my previous amount for the last 6 months
    9. my height is 6'1, current weight is 226 and my body fat % is 28.1
    10. I have been fluctuating between 225 and 227 for the last 2 to 3 weeks.
  • Sarauk2sf
    @thekyleo

I have posted a separate thread as it is off topic for this one.

See here:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/874018-intake-question
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Answering the original topic...

It is highly unlikely I am eating more than I think. If I eat around 2400kcal a day, according to my logging, I lose weight. This suggests that I over estimate my calories, seeing as no calculator would ever predict that to be the case (165cm, 57kg (when I lost on 2400), no intentional exercise).

I eat a lot of food that I don't cook, including lunch at the school where I work pretty much every day of term. Most of their food is probably around about homemade calories, so it may be that by using commercial items on the database I grossly overestimate the calories.

I guess someone has to be the exception to the rule :laugh:
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    For things that are measured, like soup or such, that serving size figure is many times by volume rather than weight.

But, "about 2 servings per can" for 8 oz serving in a 15.25 oz can is 1.9. Found some stuff the about 2 is really 1.7.

Some soups may not matter much (10 cal) because so low calorie anyway, but the more hearty stuff does add up.

But it's so easy in MFP to select 1 serving size, or select 1 can, in which case the math is wrong, because the entry just does x 2.

Along this line-- made a box of black beans and rice for myself and my husband. We both log our food, so I carefully measured out 1 cup of the prepared mixture, which was supposed to be one serving size, 230 calories. There were supposed to be 3 servings in the box. But once I measured out a cup for both of us there was none left, which means that there really aren't 3 cups per box, more like 2. Which means if I hadn't noticed we would both have been eating an extra 115 calories just in that part of the meal.

I don't like feeling so OCD about logging though so generally I just leave myself quite a bit of leeway and I keep an eye on my weight for confirmation. It's not quite so important to me that everything be accurate now that I'm in maintenance, and I know where to look if I start gaining.
  • oldernotwiser
    oldernotwiser Posts: 175 Member
    I'll just toss in my 2 cents on the importance of weighing, measuring and tracking. On 4/2/12 I quit smoking and one week later joined a gym and began working out. I also made some adjustments in my food choices realizing that although weight gain after quiting might be inevitable I might be able to control it.

From April to August I gained 14 lbs going from 190 to 204. At that point I began eating more "sensibly" (or so I thought) and sticking to a workout schedule comprised of weight training and cardio 3-4 times per week. By December I had gained 2 more pounds to 206.

I joined MFP on 12/6 and began carefully weighing, measuring and tracking. I was pretty surprised at how many calories I was consuming under the guise of "healthy" eating. As of this morning I weigh 199, a 7 lb. weight loss since starting this. That's only 1 lb. off my goal of one per week. This probably would not have happened without careful tracking and accountability.
  • pspetralia
    pspetralia Posts: 963 Member
    Great topic! Thanks for the video link, Sara!
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    I didn't see it elsewhere but a helpful hint for weighing things like yogurt or peanut butter that stick to the spoon or whatever is to put the whole container on the scale and zero it out. As you take it out you'll have a negative number on the scale which is how much you've actually removed from the container. That way when there's a spoonful for the bowl and a spoonful for me I have a more accurate representation of how much I've actually taken out of the jar.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    I didn't see it elsewhere but a helpful hint for weighing things like yogurt or peanut butter that stick to the spoon or whatever is to put the whole container on the scale and zero it out. As you take it out you'll have a negative number on the scale which is how much you've actually removed from the container. That way when there's a spoonful for the bowl and a spoonful for me I have a more accurate representation of how much I've actually taken out of the jar.

I use this method, specifically so I can lick the spoon. :)