You're probably eating more than you think.

Options

Replies

• sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    I didn't see it elsewhere but a helpful hint for weighing things like yogurt or peanut butter that stick to the spoon or whatever is to put the whole container on the scale and zero it out. As you take it out you'll have a negative number on the scale which is how much you've actually removed from the container. That way when there's a spoonful for the bowl and a spoonful for me I have a more accurate representation of how much I've actually taken out of the jar.

I use this method, specifically so I can lick the spoon. :)

Ed Zachary!
  • MiguelX66
    MiguelX66 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    One of the most usefull and least utilized tools on this site is the recipe builder. It's awesome!! You plug in your ingredients and amounts and servings and it calculates it all for you!!

I did not know this tool was here until you mentioned it. I was looking up each ingredient and putting them in a spreadsheet to add up the calories, but that is time consuming so I don't always do it, and then I guess on the calories and nutrients. This tool is very helpful and will making tracking easier. Thank you!
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    One of the most usefull and least utilized tools on this site is the recipe builder. It's awesome!! You plug in your ingredients and amounts and servings and it calculates it all for you!!

I did not know this tool was here until you mentioned it. I was looking up each ingredient and putting them in a spreadsheet to add up the calories, but that is time consuming so I don't always do it, and then I guess on the calories and nutrients. This tool is very helpful and will making tracking easier. Thank you!

Happy to help!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options

What helps with it greatly too.

Weigh the pot, pan, dish that it will be cooked in. Then weigh the finished product.

Now when you put it into that Recipe Builder, you can adjust the serving size to hit the calories you want out of it, and if 1/6 of the dish, you now know exactly the weight of your serving.
    And suggest putting that serving weight in there too.
  • sjohnny
    Options

Weigh the pot, pan, dish that it will be cooked in. Then weigh the finished product.

Now when you put it into that Recipe Builder, you can adjust the serving size to hit the calories you want out of it, and if 1/6 of the dish, you now know exactly the weight of your serving.

On a lot of dishes I do this and then just call one ounce a serving.
  • suzely0530
    suzely0530 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    This is a great video showing the inaccuracies and how the calories add up when measuring v weighing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVjWPclrWVY

Great video !! Time to pay attention and buy a digital scale !
  • Starlage
    Starlage Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    SO TRUE! I use my food scale for just about everything!
  • Myzztique
    Myzztique Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I didn't see it elsewhere but a helpful hint for weighing things like yogurt or peanut butter that stick to the spoon or whatever is to put the whole container on the scale and zero it out. As you take it out you'll have a negative number on the scale which is how much you've actually removed from the container. That way when there's a spoonful for the bowl and a spoonful for me I have a more accurate representation of how much I've actually taken out of the jar.

Thank you!!
    This is a brilliant post with some great suggestions.
    I love the recipe builder but I find it hard to estimate portion size as hubby always dishes a much larger portion. Measuring the dish before & after is brilliant!
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

Thank you!!
    This is a brilliant post with some great suggestions.
    I love the recipe builder but I find it hard to estimate portion size as hubby always dishes a much larger portion. Measuring the dish before & after is brilliant!

To help you with defining this a little, a standard portion of anything is usually considered 3 or 4 ounces. If you build your recipe based on that, then he can estimate what he takes as 1 portion or 1.25 portions etc. etc. In the food service industry when factoring a portion 4 ounces is what is usually used (other than those chain restaurants that give ridiculously large portions!). This applies to protein, veg or starch. So, in essence, build a standard portion and anything above that is a multiple of some sort.
  • ScarlettVamp
    ScarlettVamp Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    Wow....I just watched the video. Thanks so much for sharing it. My eyes have definitely been opened and I will be buying a digital scale to replace my analog one this weekend.
  • sjohnny
    Options
    SO TRUE! I use my food scale for just about everything!

Me too!

313D5347.jpg
  • fallonrhea
    fallonrhea Posts: 388 Member
    Options

What a good idea! I can't believe I never thought of that!
  • marvybells
    marvybells Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options

I know, it is a great idea! I'm kind of embarrassed that this never occurred to me. It seems that i've been making a lot more work for myself than i have to...
  • Nataliaho
    Nataliaho Posts: 878 Member
    Options

I know, it is a great idea! I'm kind of embarrassed that this never occurred to me. It seems that i've been making a lot more work for myself than i have to...

brilliant!!
  • Myzztique
    Myzztique Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    To help you with defining this a little, a standard portion of anything is usually considered 3 or 4 ounces. If you build your recipe based on that, then he can estimate what he takes as 1 portion or 1.25 portions etc. etc. In the food service industry when factoring a portion 4 ounces is what is usually used (other than those chain restaurants that give ridiculously large portions!). This applies to protein, veg or starch. So, in essence, build a standard portion and anything above that is a multiple of some sort.

Great thanks.
    I will be using 100g as my standard portion size :)
  • opalescence
    opalescence Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the links and that video was a real eye opener. Cereal was my biggest culprit, I had no idea my bowl of Lucky Charms was about 5 servings and thats IF I didnt go back for a second bowl.

I was tempted to get a scale when I started about 2-3yrs ago, but I didnt... I just measured everything carefully. Now that I've been stalled for a while, I realize I dont have the same wiggle room I had before and must be more exact with my calorie count and overall numbers in general.

Looks like I'm in the market for a food scale..
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options

brilliant!!

+1!

I measured out a level 1/2 c of dry oatmeal this morning and weighed it. It was about 1/8 c more than the serving size in grams. I need to remember to use my scale more.
  • ObtainingBalance
    ObtainingBalance Posts: 1,446 Member
    Options
    Very nice article...

but I always get out PB with a tablespoon.... what am I supposed to do... put it on a scale everytime...

I do use measuring cups to get cottage cheese out, veggies, and such.. I use the food scale for some things - like I'll put avocado in a plastic bowl and set it on the scale because all the avocados are different sizes and it helps me know the exact calories to log.
  • ObtainingBalance
    ObtainingBalance Posts: 1,446 Member
    Options

brilliant!!

+1!

I measured out a level 1/2 c of dry oatmeal this morning and weighed it. It was about 1/8 c more than the serving size in grams. I need to remember to use my scale more.

Just read this!!! Thank you! Awesome idea...

Worried about the oats I have.... I never use the scale... I just measure out 1/2 a cup... Yeeikes .. =( I'm probably eating more than I should... Sometimes it's hard to get out the scale with people around, but so easy to scoop oats out when I leave the measuring cup in the container. Maybe I should leave 100-200 calories remaining in my diary to make sure I'm not over eating the calories I have for the goal...
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    Never mind, I see you just read what I was referencing. :smile: