February Chat

Options
Wooken3
Wooken3 Posts: 635 Member
romantic-valentine-day-scrap69.giffunny-cupid-source_ypf.giffunny-cupid-source_ypf.giffunny-cupid-source_ypf.giffunny-cupid-source_ypf.gif

When did it all start?
There are various theories on the origin of Valentine's Day, but the most popular dates back to the time of the Roman Empire during the reign of Claudius II, 270 AD. Claudius didn't want men to marry during wartime because he believed single men made better soldiers. Bishop Valentine went against his wishes and performed secret wedding ceremonies. For this, Valentine was jailed and then executed by order of the Emperor on February 14. While in jail, he wrote a love note to the jailor's daughter signing it, "From your Valentine." Sound familiar?

Replies

• Wooken3
    Options
    Happy February!! I'm off on my first bike ride of the month. Got off to a slow start in January and had to peddle like a wild women to make the goal. And with February being a short month _:ohwell: _ there are no days to waste. :bigsmile:
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    Oh, I love that story!
  • Alamo0809
    Alamo0809 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Interesting! I love history!
  • Wooken3
    Options
    Hi All, Wanted to share a NSV I had today.

Met friends for dinner out and ordered a Chicken Chimichanga and a to-go box to be brought to the table with the food. I got a side-ways look from my buddies, but then again they always look at me like that. When the food arrived, half went directly into the box while the other half went into me. _:laugh:_

Usually I try to eat only half, sometimes I do...other times I don't. _:ohwell: _ But Macayo's food is so good that I knew there would be no stopping. _:noway: _

And now that I've actually box-up half the food before eating without suffering public shame, _:blushing: _ it will be so much easier to do the next time.
  • gramanana
    gramanana Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    Love the history lesson. I've actually never heard that story before.

Great NSV Wooken. Getting the take home box initially makes it much easier. I USED TO do that. :wink: :wink: Must start doing it again.

Have a wonderful day everyone.
  • Wooken3
    Options
    AnimatedFootball.gif
    Super Bowl is now history! But I'll be working off the party food for the next few day. :laugh:

My NSV today was 1) I didn't drink alcohol and 2) I earned 888 exercise calories for the party. As I sat watching the game and stuffing my face, I realized how very different my eating habit was this year vs. last year. Don't get me wrong, I ate chips, dips, sloppy joes on white bread, as well as many other not so wonderful - but very tasty - foods. And didn't have a moment of guilt while doing so. :bigsmile:

Four months with MFP has taught me you can pig out on Super Bowl Sunday but yet stay on track to lose weight :drinker: Just like most things in life, all that is required is a little advance planning.
  • gramanana
    Options
    Hubby spent the afternoon and evening with a friend watching the game. I stayed home and made him his favorite Honey Wheat Banana Bread in the breadmaker. Then I made myself a batch of gluten free chocolate brownies (LOL). Also did some laundry, but generally relaxed, enjoyed starting a new crochet project and watching the birds. A relaxing day, really.
  • KathleenC12
    KathleenC12 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Really like that NSV! And- wouldn't it be great if all restaurants offered two sizes when your ordered, appetizer (usually enough) and full size?
  • Mrsmartin61
    Options
    :smooched: Wooken - great job and the take out box at the beginning! I do that also....and most times it will be hubby's meal....as I don't want it again. Unless, its shrimp like we had today...at Cotton Patch. I didn't eat the fries that went with it -- so my chickens will get a treat!

I had a great weekend - lavishing in worship music and taking workshops on leadership skills and building relationships in our church and with those in our community.

I bought a couple of new books too -- and a new Bible to give away. We went to a resale shop and I got some crystal candle sticks and some butter knives.

Feel like I need to get some Zumba in -- I've been walking a lot ...but I need to get the heart rate increased and pumpin'.

Thanks for the Valentine history summary; I'd not remembered hearing this before.

/Sherry :heart: :love:
  • gramanana
    Options
    Mrsmartin: Sounds like you had a wonderful weekend--good for you. I'll have to look in the library to see if I can find any DVDs on Zumba or maybe on YouTube. I hate to buy anything before I've tried it or at least know something about it. So many people do it I want to try it.

Have a great evening!
  • Wooken3
    Options
    @ gramanana: Plz let us know the link if you find some good Zumba on YouTube. :flowerforyou:

@Mrsmartin: The retreat sounds wonderful as well as the other outings. It's always nice to get away for a few day.

Look at this neat bike image I found :bigsmile:

0009.gif

Wish I could peddle that fast! _:laugh: _
  • Wooken3
    Options
    I though I learned my lesson but guess not. -:ohwell:- Instead of counting out a service of crisps, I ate directly from the sack. Image my chagrin when a few hours later, the sack was empty and I was logging 360 calories under Snacks! :embarassed:

tastemorr-crispeez-oven-baked-121351.jpg
  • Alamo0809
    Options
    Thanks for reminding us of this mistake. Glad you have all the great biking muscle to help burn that off!! and you will. :smile:
  • gramanana
    Options
    I make a great effort to measure out everything because I know I would do the same thing.
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    I pre-measure servings and put them in snack zip lock bags. I cannot be trusted with the whole bag!!!
  • Wooken3
    Options
    [Posted this on the Chocolate Beast topic also...]

Last week I started working the front desk for a tax office 4-8pm and 9am-3pm on Saturday through tax season. Already knowing most of the folks in the office, it's a great way to earn some extra pocket money. However, there is food - lots of food - and it's all the bad foods that I love!

Grrrr…Guess I'll just have to pull up my Big Girl Panties and Deal!
    big-girl-panties.jpg
  • gramanana
    Options
    Wooken3: When you're working it's hard to resist all the snack food and candy that's out. Do your best!
  • Mrsmartin61
    Options
    Oh my! I tried to hide the bag of mm'S from me and grandson! Well, they showed their sweet round faces yesterday! We ate until they were gone! Oh, yes we enjoyed those morsels....then I slapped. H face! Why can't I control my behavior!! Ugh! Back on track with healthy eating today .

Banana ,at breakfast
    snack ..portioned out triscuits
    Lunch will be salad with home made honey mustard dressing

Keep up your good work this week team!
  • lintino
    lintino Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Sometimes the journey is bumpy. The important part is to pick yourself up and keep going!! Sounds like you are doing that in style!
  • Alamo0809
    Options
    It is not what you do one time... it is about what you do almost all the time. So... no more beating yourself up!!! You had a good time with the m.n.ms... eeeeee haaaaaa!!! now it is over and today is a new day. :wink: