What's your favorite style of beer?

BigDog
BigDog Posts: 272 Member
I love to try and explore all styles of beer and if I go to a new brewery I will most definitely get a sampler / flight and access their products, but once I'm ready to order a full pint I almost always go for an IPA or maybe a strong Pale Ale, also like Rye's and Scotch Ales.

How bout you? What's your favorite style?

Replies

• Stormchasegrl
    Stormchasegrl Posts: 61 Member
    I'm more of a Belgian or porter fan. I also really enjoy wheat beers. IPA's are far too hoppy for me.
  • Coolhand1969
    Coolhand1969 Posts: 821 Member
    Stout, Porter, Brown Ale - in that order (although in the heat of summer I might pick up a lager).
    On the opposite angle, for some reason I've never met a Belgian beer that I've enjoyed.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,474 Member
    i never ever stick to the same ole thing, i am always up for new ones out.
  • undulyinterest
    undulyinterest Posts: 16 Member
    I am a Hop-Head for sure, IPA's are my favorite ( and have the most calories). Lately I have really enjoyed Zombie Dust which is a APA..
  • BigDog
    Oh I love Zombie Dust! That is damn fine beer. And you don't even have to be a Hop-Head to appreciate it. I have to make runs to get it though, as Three Floyds doesn't distribute up here in West Michigan yet. (I don't think they are even in Michigan yet...
  • undulyinterest
    Same here in KY. We have to drive up to Ohio. Good thing we have lots of friends who kids play on traveling soccer teams! Recently a local store has had in on tap and we take a growler up and get some. Locally we have a brewery who has started canning their IPA ( called West Sixth) it is ABSOLUTELY my favorite. I don't know if it is the freshness or what. Love it!
  • BigDog
    What's the name of the local brewery? How far away do they currently distribute? I'm always looking for new beer to try. Maybe I should start a trading thread here. ;-)

Have you ever had Hop Slam from Bell's Brewery? Delicious! A bit pricey but, quite, tasty. (See link below)

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/287/17112
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,736 Member
    Just had some hopslam a couple weeks ago. It was great! It wasn't as hoppy as I was expecting, though. but...I did just finish a red rye ale that was touted as being 124 ibus, so that probably had somethign to do with it.

My favorite style is Oktoberfest. My favorites change with the seasons, though. Lately I've been craving Scotch ales, so I picked up some Belhaven. Sometimes it's skunky, sometimes not. Still, I think it's great.
  • Porter I think it is called... :wink:
  • I favor darker beers like porters, stouts, and black IPAs. My favorite beer right now is Left Hand's Milk Stout Nitro. So good.

With that said I will also always try a flight when I am at a new brewery.
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,923 Member
    Belgians, Porters, and Stouts. I think the only ones I don't like are IPA's and Barleywine.
  • undulyinterest
    My husband has been stockpiling Hopslam for the last couple weeks. Actually went to Liquor Barn the night it was shipped in. The local Brewery is called West Sixth. They are currently only canning 1 of their beers. The IPA. We have been lucky we currently have 2 breweries with tap rooms ( the other is Country Boy's) with several more in the works.. We are starting to become like a small Asheville. We love it. Always somewhere cool to go on date night. Lol!
  • Hophead for life....

Hey @undulyinterest, can I get your number?
  • Russian Imperial Stout has to by my favorite type. Nothing like chocolate/coffee flavors with such a full mouthfeel. Really love the Siberian Night and Stone Brewery's versions.

I also really love Belgian Strong Ales. Dark/pale etc...

Only just getting into IPA's. Oddly enough it was the Stone Ruination that made me appreciate the style. Really like the Sierra Nevada Rye pale, Pliny and Stone. Haven't tried many more.

P.S. I hate one and one style only - Barleywine. Can't find one I enjoy.
  • undulyinterest
    @jchula It is the same as yours and your childrens,,,,,call me later. I will be the one cooking your dinner. :)
  • BigDog
    @jchula and undulyinteres... Awe aren't you two cute. ;-)

@Bastiencade... Have you been to Founders? If not you have to come this way sometime and try the Breakfast Stout on tap. Just something about it fresh from the tap. Also... My wife and I love Delirium Tremens. We have that instead of Champagne for our New Year's toast. She is in the medical field too and she thought the name was funny. A lot of people don't realize that, that's the full name for 'The DT's"
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    I've always been a sucker for stouts. Imperials... Russian Imperials... breakfast stouts.. whatever. Lately, though, I'm taking a shine to Belgian Strong/Belgian Dark/Quads.

@BigDog we toasted the new year in this year with Achel 8 Blond. Almost a champagne. Not quite the same ballfield as Tremens, but still tasty.
  • BigDog
    @trogalicious Just looked that up. Looks yummy. Going to have to see if I can find that around here. Thanks!
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Really never met a beer I didn't get along with. I do not favour rye ales, but there are a few out there that I like. I'm also a 'beer for the seasons' kind of person. I've been all about the stouts and porters lately. My husband told me last night that he's excited for spring because I start buying more hoppy beers (I am the designated beer purchaser)... and it's true. I'm definitely getting the groove for some hops and red ales right now.

I hate anyone that can get Bells or Three Floyds. Or New Holland for that matter.

Only 247 days till GABF, though!!!!! I'll get to hang with my pals from New Holland and hopefully try some new things from Natty Greene's.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Only 247 days till GABF, though!!!!! I'll get to hang with my pals from New Holland and hopefully try some new things from Natty Greene's.

Natty's is happy, but see if you can get your hands on some brews from Foothills/Olde Hickory/Mother Earth/NoDa. I think they blow Natty's out of the water.

Edit: Went to this. Will go back again:

http://www.raleighrarebeertasting.com/