What's your favorite style of beer?

Replies

• BigDog
    BigDog Posts: 272 Member
    @misskortney I live about 20 miles up the road from NH. Go down that way often, and of course it's in the stores everywhere. ;-p (Bells too.) If it makes you feel any better... I do have to drive a couple hours for Three Floyds though

If you ever find yourself at New Holland make sure to come up the road to Grand Haven and check Odd Side Ales out. I'll buy ya a beer!
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    OH!! Olde Hickory The Event Horizon .... I did get my hands on a bottle of that for a beer club event.... it was hands down the most amazing stout ever.

I run a local beer club for women, we meet once or twice a month and do awesome beer related stuff.
  • infamousmk
    @misskortney I live about 20 miles up the road from NH. Go down that way often, and of course it's in the stores everywhere. ;-p (Bells too.) If it makes you feel any better... I do have to drive a couple hours for Three Floyds though

If you ever find yourself at New Holland make sure to come up the road to Grand Haven and check Odd Side Ales out. I'll buy ya a beer!

Drink lots of Dragon's Milk for me!!!

I really can't complain much about beer, though ... we had over 40 breweries open up last year, and another 30 are 'on the books' for 2013. We're pushing like 400 craft breweries for the state.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    OH!! Olde Hickory The Event Horizon .... I did get my hands on a bottle of that for a beer club event.... it was hands down the most amazing stout ever.

I still have a bomber in my collection.

IF they have it, Foothills/Olde Hickory/Duck-Rabbit bottled a blend of their three stouts. Even better than the Event Horizon... it's called Olde Rabbits Foot and it is freaking...insane...
  • infamousmk
    Now that you have New Belgium out there, keep an eye out for Love .... It's the sour base for La Folie, and they always do something special with it -- had it aged in blueberry bourbon barrels once. HOLY FRUCK. I still salivate and get all whet about that beer.
  • BigDog
    BigDog Posts: 272 Member
    Now that you have New Belgium out there, keep an eye out for Love .... It's the sour base for La Folie, and they always do something special with it -- had it aged in blueberry bourbon barrels once. HOLY FRUCK. I still salivate and get all whet about that beer.

^ ^ LOL ^ ^ No that's a true beer lover!

That sounds good. I'm not huge on fruit in beer, (especially blueberry. It's really hard to make a good one.) but I do love a good bourbon barrel aged beer... Certain craft brews and whiskey work very well together
  • trogalicious
    We've got a local brewery here that is doing a lot of saisons and interesting brews. Just sampled a Flanders red that was aged in a chardonnay barrel with cherries.

I took a few sips and had to sit down. It was more than I could wrap my head around.
    ^ ^ LOL ^ ^ No that's a true beer lover!

That sounds good. I'm not huge on fruit in beer, (especially blueberry. It's really hard to make a good one.) but I do love a good bourbon barrel aged beer... Certain craft brews and whiskey work very well together
    I dig the bourbon barrel aged beers too, but would love to see a wider variety of barrels being used. Bourbon is awesome, but give me a rum barrel aged rye ipa or something.
  • infamousmk
    The chardonnay and cab barrel aged stuff is really neat, but so hard to find. You know a beer is good when you have to sit down to taste it!!!

Every now and then a brew will come off the kegerator at home that almost brings me to tears. Tasting something so good and knowing it came from our hands is such an exciting, and somehow humbling experience.
  • I love a hoppy beer, and would like to grow my own hops one day.
    The darker the beer, the more I want to drink it.
  • infamousmk
    Hops are great - the vine is really pretty and it grows in spite of you! But, it will take over wherever you plant it, and it wants to climb!!

We sort of took over the entire fence at the back of our property with a Cascade two years ago... we now give our neighbor homebrew every summer for putting up with the vines that end up on his side.
  • MelisRunning
    MelisRunning Posts: 819 Member
    I am a stout fan myself. The darker the better.

Used to live in Ft. Collins, Co. where New Belgium originated. Took the tour~lots of samples!!! Love their 1554.

Blue Fin Stout is yummy, too.
  • I'm definately a hop head and love my IPAs and recently brewed up a clone of the Dogfish 60-minute IPA that came was really good.

But I really am up for almost anythng. It really depends on the mood I'm in. I'm lucky to live in an area where there are quite a few breweries and brewpubs.
  • 76tech
    76tech Posts: 1,455 Member
    Oh, so very many favorites.

Barleywine is probably my number one. But I love IPAs, DIPAs, and saisons.
  • I hate anyone that can get Bells or Three Floyds. Or New Holland for that matter.

Those are pretty easy to find here in Chicago. Whole Foods almost always has some Bell's and Three Floyds. Also, have a great local bar that usually has them on tap once a month.

As for Bell's after realizing it is only like a 2 hour Amtrak ride from Chicago we sometimes take weekend trips to go there. It is such a great place!
  • yummy_
    yummy_ Posts: 248 Member

i just received a surprise bottle of this 2 days ago.
    needless to say, i was very excited!
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Hefeweizen, preferably dark, but really any classic german wheat will do.

It is the style that got me into Real Beer (TM), back in college, before the craft brewing revolution.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    I dig the bourbon barrel aged beers too, but would love to see a wider variety of barrels being used. Bourbon is awesome, but give me a rum barrel aged rye ipa or something.

Have you had the Avery Rumpkin? Pumpkin beer aged in rum barrels. It tastes like love.
  • trogalicious

Have you had the Avery Rumpkin? Pumpkin beer aged in rum barrels. It tastes like love.
    Holy crappomattox yes.
  • bonemuse12
    bonemuse12 Posts: 20 Member
    I am a Hop-Head for sure, IPA's are my favorite ( and have the most calories ). Lately I have really enjoyed Zombie Dust which is a APA..

I'll see your IPA's and raise you barrel-aged stouts. Goose Island Bourbon County Stout clocks in around 450 cals per 12 delicious ounces.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    I am a Hop-Head for sure, IPA's are my favorite ( and have the most calories ). Lately I have really enjoyed Zombie Dust which is a APA..

I'll see your IPA's and raise you barrel-aged stouts. Goose Island Bourbon County Stout clocks in around 450 cals per 12 delicious ounces.

Word. That there dude in my ticker runs about 500 or so without the barrel.