What's your favorite style of beer?

Replies

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Too many to name. I love IPAs, barley wine, porters, stouts, Belgians, etc. I mostly don't like pilsners and fruit beers (although Guinness with a touch of framboise is amazing!). My 2oz of Utopia that I tried were also amazing (and ended far too quickly).
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,736 Member
    I am a Hop-Head for sure, IPA's are my favorite ( and have the most calories ). Lately I have really enjoyed Zombie Dust which is a APA..

I'll see your IPA's and raise you barrel-aged stouts. Goose Island Bourbon County Stout clocks in around 450 cals per 12 delicious ounces.

Word. That there dude in my ticker runs about 500 or so without the barrel.

Meph is around 500? For 12 oz bottle? Holy hell.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    I dig the bourbon barrel aged beers too, but would love to see a wider variety of barrels being used. Bourbon is awesome, but give me a rum barrel aged rye ipa or something.

Have you had the Avery Rumpkin? Pumpkin beer aged in rum barrels. It tastes like love.

Argh, must try this. I know we get Avery down here, but never heard of Rumpkin. They may not distribute in Texas. A local brewery made "Pumpkinator" which ran about 9% and had tons of spice. So good, but hard to find. Strangely, found an independent pizza shop selling it by the pint (most places were doing the snifter glasses of it) for cheaper than anyone else. A pint of that will knock you on your *kitten*, especially with a deep dish pizza.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    I dig the bourbon barrel aged beers too, but would love to see a wider variety of barrels being used. Bourbon is awesome, but give me a rum barrel aged rye ipa or something.

Have you had the Avery Rumpkin? Pumpkin beer aged in rum barrels. It tastes like love.

Argh, must try this. I know we get Avery down here, but never heard of Rumpkin. They may not distribute in Texas. A local brewery made "Pumpkinator" which ran about 9% and had tons of spice. So good, but hard to find. Strangely, found an independent pizza shop selling it by the pint (most places were doing the snifter glasses of it) for cheaper than anyone else. A pint of that will knock you on your *kitten*, especially with a deep dish pizza.

Rumpkin was available in Texas (I'm in Austin) but they only make 500 or 600 something cases a year so it's pretty limited. It's 18% so a 12 ozer will do the trick for the most part.
  • farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    A bit of a stranger here reading the thread, I am UK based, so have no knowledge of the beers mentioned.

My favourite style is just plain old draught bitter, hand pulled, not kegged or pressurised, and served at ambient cellar temperature

One bottled one I did try, and loved, was Crabbies alcoholic ginger beer. very refreshing worth trying

Mostly round here I drink draught Fuller's HSB [Horndean Special Bitter], but sometimes go to another pub for Bowman's Wallop
  • BigDog
    BigDog Posts: 272 Member
    Welcome farway,

What you are drinking we would call cask, or "real" beer, and I fully enjoy those as well. (Flavors really come out so much more at non-chilled temperatures. Do yourself a favor though and try some out beers you never would try experiment a bit. There are so many wonderful tastes and flavors out there.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Oh, speaking of - my husband loves to tease me about drinking my beers "warm" ... I will typically take a bottle out of the fridge 30m or more before I want to drink it, and I'm constantly asking he turn up the kegerator.

You just get to taste more depth at warmer temps!
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    The only "beers" that need to be ice ice cold are the Miller/Coors whathaveya. That's just to cover up as much of the skunky as possible so you can slam it down.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Oh, speaking of - my husband loves to tease me about drinking my beers "warm" ... I will typically take a bottle out of the fridge 30m or more before I want to drink it, and I'm constantly asking he turn up the kegerator.

You just get to taste more depth at warmer temps!

It's always interesting to me to see how a beer opens up. I've sent back beer that was brought out in a frozen glass before. Not too long ago, I ordered a chimay rouge at a bar. They brought up a frozen pint glass and wondered why I stared at them.

a little part of me died.
  • mattagascar
    mattagascar Posts: 708 Member
    That's impossible to answer but I do find myself brewing and drinking more IPA's than anything else.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Charred malt stouts/porters, Saisons, though I'm getting more and more into Belgian ANYTHING which is unusual for me. Though I still have a preference for a roasted malty red, or a good sour brown (that's not too vinegary).
  • mattagascar
    mattagascar Posts: 708 Member
    Charred malt stouts/porters, Saisons, though I'm getting more and more into Belgian ANYTHING which is unusual for me. Though I still have a preference for a roasted malty red, or a good sour brown (that's not too vinegary).

Sours are going ape**** out here in Portland. There is a new one popping up everyday. I think they are pretty good myself but I don't think i could sit and crush them all night.
  • firstsip

Sours are going ape**** out here in Portland. There is a new one popping up everyday. I think they are pretty good myself but I don't think i could sit and crush them all night.

It DOES seem to be the thing now. There's a brewery in Ann Arbor that serves only sour ales (Jolly Pumpkin; they distribute, but I don't know how far), and they are ****ing amazing (food AND beer). Their "Io" is the best saison I've ever had.

I should say my beer tastes are pretty seasonal; I was drinking nothing but Oktoberfests and pumpkin beers (New Holland's is ****ing amazing) for most of the fall; summer, I am all about saisons and Belgians.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    It DOES seem to be the thing now. There's a brewery in Ann Arbor that serves only sour ales (Jolly Pumpkin; they distribute, but I don't know how far), and they are ****ing amazing (food AND beer). Their "Io" is the best saison I've ever had.

I should say my beer tastes are pretty seasonal; I was drinking nothing but Oktoberfests and pumpkin beers (New Holland's is ****ing amazing) for most of the fall; summer, I am all about saisons and Belgians.
    One of the brewmasters for Jolly Pumpkin was relocated from a brewery here in NC I believe. I've had their La Roja and the Magdasomethingorother Obscura. I was pretty pleased with both. New Holland's Blue Sunday sour was nice.. not too tart, and had a bit of an odd finish for me. Not odd bad, just odd in a "can't wrap my head around it" kind of way.
  • millions0fpeaches
    millions0fpeaches Posts: 195 Member
    Stout, Porter, Brown Ale - in that order (although in the heat of summer I might pick up a lager).
    On the opposite angle, for some reason I've never met a Belgian beer that I've enjoyed.
    This. Exactly this.
  • infamousmk
    The head brewmaster from Jolly Pumpkin is a weird, weird dude. Cool, but weird. He had a level of mad scientist that was incredibly intriguing. I poured for them GABF 2011.

Sours have been all the rage in Denver for a while. My guess is because of the availability of La Folie, and breweries like Crooked Stave and Funkwerks (all sours and saisons, respectively). I'm waiting to see what the 'next big thing' is, because the innovation that comes from breweries getting together and trying new *kitten* makes me teary eyed.
  • infamousmk
    Stout, Porter, Brown Ale - in that order (although in the heat of summer I might pick up a lager).
    On the opposite angle, for some reason I've never met a Belgian beer that I've enjoyed.
    This. Exactly this.

Is it the yeast? My husband was pretty put off by belgians for a long time because I like them yeasty and funky... finally found a few that weren't so yeasty and now he's easing his way in to them.
  • firstsip
    The head brewmaster from Jolly Pumpkin is a weird, weird dude. Cool, but weird. He had a level of mad scientist that was incredibly intriguing. I poured for them GABF 2011.

It goes with the territory in Ann Arbor, too. That's cool you got them at GABF; Jolly's got "sister' breweries in Ann Arbor that don't distribute (Grizzly Peak and Blue Tractor), those the same guy that owns all three places also owns North Peak, which does distribute (but I haven't ever had any North Peak's to write home about).
  • BBinNC
    BBinNC Posts: 73 Member
    My favorite style is an IPA. Some of the ones I like to have on hand are Heavy Seas Loose Cannon, Sierra Nevada Torpedo, DFH 90 minute IPA, New Belgium Brewing Ranger and Flying Dog Snake Dog. I'm constantly trying new beer and fortunate enough to have a specialty beer store in the town in which I live.
  • j75j75
    j75j75 Posts: 854 Member
    That is a TOUGH question. I favor pale ales, brown ales, stouts, creamy stouts, oatmeal stouts, and some IPAs...I could be missing a few...