Form critique thread, post your videos here.

Options

Replies

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    In addition to what Jeff said - you're not square when you take the bar off the pins. You have your right foot under the bar, left foot is back. Like Jeff said - it may not be a problem now, but it might be later on.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    They look easy. Two things:
    1) You lean a touch forward and that puts the weight over your toes. You should in theory be able to lift your toes up. Keeps the weight over your midfoot/heels.

That's something I struggle with fairly often. Even when I'm really conscious of it, I struggle. It's a balance thing for me, but I'm not sure if that's an indicator of something else.

I didn't feel great today, and it showed in my bar path and general control of the weight. I'm never perfect (whatever that is), but I'm not usually this sloppy. At least I don't usually feel this sloppy.

• DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    jacksonpt wrote: »
    They look easy. Two things:
    1) You lean a touch forward and that puts the weight over your toes. You should in theory be able to lift your toes up. Keeps the weight over your midfoot/heels.

That's something I struggle with fairly often. Even when I'm really conscious of it, I struggle. It's a balance thing for me, but I'm not sure if that's an indicator of something else.

I didn't feel great today, and it showed in my bar path and general control of the weight. I'm never perfect (whatever that is), but I'm not usually this sloppy. At least I don't usually feel this sloppy.

Meh, really didn't look bad considering that last set was AMRAP. If your AMRAP set is picture-perfect then it wasn't AMRAP, IMO. Bar path coming forward slightly...meh. I do it too. I've seen it plenty, even on very advanced squatters who are putting 500, 600+ on the bar. When it gets extreme it causes problems but slightly forward isn't the end of the world. Something to keep an eye on and keep working on, but nothing to panic about.

Hell, if anything, my biggest critique would be borderline depth. You're pretty much riiiiiight at parallel.
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    DopeItUp wrote: »
    Hell, if anything, my biggest critique would be borderline depth. You're pretty much riiiiiight at parallel.

Yea... I think that's a hip/mobility issue. front squats (with my torso more upright) I have no problem getting lower. But back squats bottom out right there at parallel.
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    RDLs 5/3/1 style - 230/260/290

http://youtu.be/MAR7JpNH_v4
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    Last one... bench - 5@145 ... 3@160 ... 10@180

http://youtu.be/ztmRxyB09cU
  • DopeItUp
    Options
    @jacksonpt I'm not an RDL master but from what I understand, you want to go down with a neutral back until you've got a stretch in your hamstrings, and then come back up. You are going wayyyyy past that point and you have tons of lumbar flexion which is just begging for a lower back injury, IMO. Furthermore, you're doing it as a power move with lots of weight which is really cranking up that injury risk even further. Most people tend to do RDLs or SLDLs as an accessory movement. Slow, controlled and sets of say, 8-12 for building up the posterior chain muscles. Doing AMRAP with heavy weight sounds like a recipe for disaster. Finally, if I haven't insulted you enough (sorry), watch those arms and keep them straight. Bending your elbow a bunch like that with nearly 300lbs on the bar is asking for a bicep tear. Keep them perfectly straight, flex your tricep if you need to keep them from bending.

I didn't watch this whole video but the form looks good to me and might be worth watching:
  • DopeItUp
    Options
    @jacksonpt bench doesn't look bad, there are different preferences around bench depending on what your goals are. You bench like a bodybuilder (flared elbows, touching high on chest) which is typical for people seeking to build their pecs but obviously this won't do as much for strength/powerlifting. So it depends on your goals :)
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    Thanks dope... I'll watch that vid tomorrow when I'm back at work.
  • jenglish712
    jenglish712 Posts: 497 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    th_CAM00172_zpsb8czvcaz.mp4

Not a great vid, but hopefully get some feedback on what I'm not doing right.

If I even posted the video in a way thats viewable.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

I'd like to see you post one without the shoes from the same angle and another clip from front or back if possible so I could get an idea of your stance width and what could be occurring laterally.

Aside from those shoes possibly being a detriment, it didn't look bad.
  • DopeItUp
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »

I'd like to see you post one without the shoes from the same angle and another clip from front or back if possible so I could get an idea of your stance width and what could be occurring laterally.

Aside from those shoes possibly being a detriment, it didn't look bad.

Agreed. Only other nitpick point is that your depth varied in all three squats. You were nice and low the first time, then high the second, then somewhere in between on the third. Consistency will probably come with experience.
  • jenglish712
    Options
    Thanks. I will try to get some additional vids next time. I had been. looking at some chuck taylors later that day and do plan to get something more solid. I will b more mindful of my depth. I have been focusing on spine alignment and may need to focus on depth as well.I tend to overarch my lower spine at the lowest point.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Would be interested in your feedback on my deadlift form. This is a 1RM (365lb @ 165lb bw), since it's the only video I have. As such it's probably my form at it's worst.

Deadlift 1RM

At some point I'll get around to getting a vid of my squat form and put that up too.

Edit: Might want to turn the sound down before watching - I'm a shouter.

SS, any feedback on my deadlift form? Grateful for the feedback DopeItUp already gave, but second set of eyes always welcome.

http://youtu.be/LD54E6ORBRE
  • jdholland5508
    jdholland5508 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=8bFnxLboKi0&feature=youtu.be

This is me 255x5. I want to have a stronger bench so looking on ques I can use to get me to more of a power lifters form.
  • SideSteel
    Options
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=8bFnxLboKi0&feature=youtu.be

This is me 255x5. I want to have a stronger bench so looking on ques I can use to get me to more of a power lifters form.

First of all strong bench.

As far as technical adjustments I'll point out a few things I'd consider.

First and foremost you could stand to get much tighter on the bench by improving your start position. There's a few different methods for this, one is a swing-under method where you propel yourself under the bar to stuff into place and another is the feet-on-the-bench method that Dave Tate teaches in his So You Think You Can Bench series.

At any rate, the idea is to do the following things:

a) Get your feet further under you rather than out in front. This will increase hip extension and overall tightness.

b) Attempt to get your *kitten* and your shoulders closer together.

Doing this will shorten your ROM by elevating the chest.

An additional thing to consider, and you'll have to put some thought into this, would be the degree to which you flare your elbows. My opinion is that this can be a risk to your shoulders as this will increase joint stress at the bottom of the press. However, my experience is that MOST people see an immediate decrease in strength when they learn to tuck their elbows (very likely that you'd see an immediate decrease followed by it getting stronger as you get used to the technique).

I'd check out Dave Tate's benching videos on YouTube. So You Think You Can Bench is a great one as it will cover most of the above and some extra stuff.
  • SideSteel
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Would be interested in your feedback on my deadlift form. This is a 1RM (365lb @ 165lb bw), since it's the only video I have. As such it's probably my form at it's worst.

Deadlift 1RM

At some point I'll get around to getting a vid of my squat form and put that up too.

Edit: Might want to turn the sound down before watching - I'm a shouter.

SS, any feedback on my deadlift form? Grateful for the feedback DopeItUp already gave, but second set of eyes always welcome.

http://youtu.be/LD54E6ORBRE

Didn't look bad considering it was a heavy *kitten* pull.

I'm really poor at technique assessment when I can't see a side view to get a good idea of the barbell positioning relative the scapula/midfoot -- but having said that I suspect you're fine.

It doesn't look to me like you're really getting a big breath of air prior to the pull.
  • jdholland5508
    jdholland5508 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Awesome. Will check that out thanks.
  • jenglish712
    Options
    Still gonna get more video, just the gym's been busy and only one rack so I try to be courteous. You asked the next vid to be barefoot. I switched from my cross trainers to Chuck Taylors so I will probably take the next vid in those since that is primarily how I lift.
  • smittybuilt19
    smittybuilt19 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    http://youtu.be/H5KEurcJIEg

It's been a while since I've had a form check. Have at it! Thanks y'all !