Non-scale Victories

Options
Since no one has started a NSV thread, I figured I would!

I was able to do my Chaturanga push-ups (albeit modified) in JM Yoga Meltdown without losing my form! I'm getting stronger! Yay! :bigsmile:

Replies

• FromHereOnOut
    FromHereOnOut Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    Ooooo, wow, that's a really great NSV!!! Congratulations!
  • PamHealthMission
    PamHealthMission Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    LizardQueen: Big congrats on your NSV!!! Thanks for starting this topic, too.
  • NareenaTheGypsy
    NareenaTheGypsy Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Congrats, Liz... can you teach me how to do that one? I can't seem to lower more than a few inches without my elbows bowing out, away from the body instead of parallel to it.
  • LizardQueen4PointOh
    LizardQueen4PointOh Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    LizardQueen: Big congrats on your NSV!!! Thanks for starting this topic, too.

You are very welcome! I love hearing everyone else's and sharing mine as well. :smile:
    Congrats, Liz... can you teach me how to do that one? I can't seem to lower more than a few inches without my elbows bowing out, away from the body instead of parallel to it.

http://www.myyogaonline.com/about-yoga/yoga-anatomy/why-are-yoga-pushups-chaturanga-so-difficult

This is what I found on why the elbows go out. I had the same problem. I'm hoping this means that strength training with weights is helping my strength in that area. The overhead press is killer for me!
  • FromHereOnOut
    Options
    That's a great article!!

Pretty much all push ups are my big weakness/problem area. But I'm sure I'll get there eventually. At least I know I'll get closer now than I ever did just sittin around doing nothing.

----

My nsv: my husband told me that a parent at martial arts told him she saw me in the neighborhood, and that she doesn't usually notice these things, but that she noticed I'd lost weight and looked good. :happy:
  • WindmillTilter
    WindmillTilter Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the improvement!

My NSV is I can see some definition in my stomach (with the proper lighting). I know it is kind of a cheat but it is a big improvement from a few months ago. My weight fluctuates 222-227 almost daily I can only hope I am gaining muscle at the same rate I'm losing fat. Other that BF tests my only way to tell I'm making an improvement is in the mirror.
  • FromHereOnOut
    Options
    Other that BF tests my only way to tell I'm making an improvement is in the mirror.

Same here, sorta. It's all nsv's for me. I don't have a scale, so I don't weigh and I also don't measure (I had a bad experience). Add to that, that we don't own a full-length mirror (only medicine cabinet mirror). It doesn't matter though, I'm my own worst critic and can't usually see any change in myself in the mirror. At this point, it's only the comments of others that I have to go by. I've gotten quite a few comments in the past week, so that's a sign that I'm moving in the right direction. Thank goodness for NSVs!!!
  • LizardQueen4PointOh
    LizardQueen4PointOh Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    My nsv: my husband told me that a parent at martial arts told him she saw me in the neighborhood, and that she doesn't usually notice these things, but that she noticed I'd lost weight and looked good. :happy:

Someone else noticing without you mentioning your weight loss journey is THE BEST!
    Other that BF tests my only way to tell I'm making an improvement is in the mirror.

Sometimes that is the fun part! I tell my husband I'm "such a guy" because I stand in front of the mirror posing with my muscles (what little I have) flexed! :laugh:
  • FromHereOnOut
    Options
    At the park today, my shadow was lookin' pretty hot!! :wink: :laugh:
  • FromHereOnOut
    Options
    Caught myself checking out new Spring fashion in the shops & show windows today. "Used to", I'd never even consider it "until I lost weight". Guess somewhere inside my brain, I know I've lost, because I was checking out the cutest dress (on a standard rail thin mannequin, no less, lol). #SubconsciousNSV
  • scrook43
    scrook43 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    shaving 90 seconds of my mile pace when I got to my goal weight. That was better than any number on the scale. also being able to wear a nightshirt instead of pajamas. Legs no longer rub together.:laugh:
  • NareenaTheGypsy
    NareenaTheGypsy Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I had my first ever running NSV on Wed. I started W3 of C25K and I made it 3 minutes of jogging/running without falling off the treadmill, without looking down to see how much longer til the walk interval, and while I was breathing heavy, I wasn't gasping for air like I would have been even 6 months ago. OMG I can run! So what if it's only 3 minutes? I couldn't run more than 30 sec a year ago.! =)
  • FromHereOnOut
    Options
    I don't know if I can explain this right or not, but here goes. Noticing lately that when I tie my hoodie around my waist, there's plenty of slack to double tie it and still alot of ends hanging down. I remember not too long ago, it was difficult to tie and then there were just these stubby ends left there. (IOW, my waist is smaller!)

I've gotten more compliments yesterday and today. Today, a friend who sees me at least 3-4x/week told me my body has completely transformed.

And here's the really strange one....I'm feeling alot more "noticed" lately. In particular, today walking by a cafe packed with young guys. I actually felt & saw eyes tracking me as I walked by. I'm pretty sure I didn't have a toilet paper tail, so...!!! This is the strangest thing...especially since I'm 40 years old!!
  • Galonamission81
    Galonamission81 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Love that one Sherry!!! Good for you!

My NSV might be a bit silly... But since I packed away all my regular clothes last year ( while I was pregnant) I brought them all back out the first of February.I sorted them all by size, and packed them into groups. So, my first goal was to fit my group 1's... (Which were really just my fat clothes, albeit not maternity clothes!). Well, that goal was met. Yay!! Success!
    My second group of clothes ... Lets call them my "chubby clothes" fit at the end of March!
    Here's hoping my "pleasantly plump" clothes fit at the end of this month! Then, I shall move on to my " fit" clothes, in May and perhaps by a new GOAL wardrobe over the summer!

Lets keep it going!!!
  • WindmillTilter
    WindmillTilter Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I don't know if I can explain this right or not, but here goes. Noticing lately that when I tie my hoodie around my waist, there's plenty of slack to double tie it and still alot of ends hanging down. I remember not too long ago, it was difficult to tie and then there were just these stubby ends left there. (IOW, my waist is smaller!)

I've gotten more compliments yesterday and today. Today, a friend who sees me at least 3-4x/week told me my body has completely transformed.

And here's the really strange one....I'm feeling alot more "noticed" lately. In particular, today walking by a cafe packed with young guys. I actually felt & saw eyes tracking me as I walked by. I'm pretty sure I didn't have a toilet paper tail, so...!!! This is the strangest thing...especially since I'm 40 years old!!

It is amazing what confidence and being more fit can do for you. I'm almost 37 and I consistently get mistake for 10 yrs younger. A lot of it is attitude and how I carry myself, but getting more fit has definitely helped.

P.S. my real age never leaves this post lol ;-)
  • FromHereOnOut
    Options
    Love that one Sherry!!! Good for you!

My NSV might be a bit silly... But since I packed away all my regular clothes last year ( while I was pregnant) I brought them all back out the first of February.I sorted them all by size, and packed them into groups. So, my first goal was to fit my group 1's... (Which were really just my fat clothes, albeit not maternity clothes!). Well, that goal was met. Yay!! Success!
    My second group of clothes ... Lets call them my "chubby clothes" fit at the end of March!
    Here's hoping my "pleasantly plump" clothes fit at the end of this month! Then, I shall move on to my " fit" clothes, in May and perhaps by a new GOAL wardrobe over the summer!

Lets keep it going!!!

hahaha, how funny that I did the EXACT SAME THING with my clothes after my last pregnancy!! I think I had 3 groups of post-partum clothes (from previous pregnancy) and an assortment of "yo-yo dieter" sizes.

Congrats on the progress! You are BLAZING through them already!!
  • FromHereOnOut
    Options

It is amazing what confidence and being more fit can do for you. I'm almost 37 and I consistently get mistake for 10 yrs younger. A lot of it is attitude and how I carry myself, but getting more fit has definitely helped.

P.S. my real age never leaves this post lol ;-)

So true! Being more fit helps with confidence, posture, "swagger" haha! And anyway, today, I had just come from the park in my workout clothes, and I happen to think that workout clothes are the sexiest (and lately it seems that's all I ever wear!).

I'm with you on keepin' the real age on the D.L. My 8yo son "guessed" my age at about 8 years younger than I am, and I still haven't corrected him. He tells people my "age", and I think they believe him!
  • Hurdisnie1
    Hurdisnie1 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    My NSV- Is the fact I am doing all I can to get a workout in ( which is huge I had at one one time felt-I worked out once this week thats enough) I now know that , thinking like like was not helping...

I also comfortably fit into my smallest size clothng and my larger sizes just don't look right-Yay

Biggest change is my rumpis... My Body shape is Bartlett Pear... and I have a rather large rumpis... It use to hang off of me.. and my rumpis and thigh had formed a NEW body part :grumble: that I have named the Butthigh:huh: It is a section of both that doesn't really belong to either.. but is in that general region below the butt at the top of the thigh... It's own jelly roll

So the victory is I have melted that bad boy away and I am no longer dragging by rumpis around it's no longer hanging on for dear life and seems to be getting comfortable in it new position...:drinker:
  • Hurdisnie1
    Hurdisnie1 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Congrats on all your NSV- I am not sure how many have moved over since Ripped in 30 but I am sure those who have are seeing lots of changes in strength since then...

Keep it up
  • FromHereOnOut
    Options
    Toni!!! LOL!!! I just laughed so hard that my husband asked what was so funny!!!!!

eta: I hope it's okay to laugh at your word "butthigh"...especially now that it's melllllting away.