Anyone starting on the 25th March?

Options

Replies

• mellymo29
    mellymo29 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Phase 2? hell, yeah, kick up the jams, mamma jammas! I have done WO 5 and 6 for the first time, and today will be Cardio 2. My right glute is so sore from the pendulum squats yesterday I walked extra trying to stretch it out. This is going to be the butt lifting, stomach flattening, arm toning month! My scale doesn't want to move, though. I ate a little more yesterday to see if maybe I was eating too low. I hope I can find the right amount of calories to kick start it. I would like to get strong enough to do zumba without dropping dead.

I have some downloads of some old exercise videos. I was looking at Cindy Crawford's Shape Your Body from 1992 (when I was in my 20s too), looking for more ideas. I was struck by how drop dead gorgeous she was - and I have read by today's model standards, she would be too big.

Then I looked at Tracy Anderson Metamorphosis, and she gave me a laugh. She is extremely comical doing her arm exercises, very spastic LOL. I think I like using weights better.
  • yaybazinga
    Options
    wow, Jillian is not kidding with workout 5!! when I saw the sun salutations warm-up I thought "oh what a nice low impact warm-up" but it gets really intense afterwards, these supersets are hard! especially my arms got tired fast...

I feel like I'm doing these dumbbell swings wrong, it feels more like a static lunge and in the video they're pivoting and rotating their feet, I need to watch that again... and I definitely can't do single legged squats yet, I have to put the toes of the opposite foot down.
  • Thereupon
    Thereupon Posts: 52
    Options
    Yay! Well done everyone. I did workout 5 earlier today and SURVIVED. Wow. I really need to work on my form, though. My flexibility really lets me down in some moves so I know I'm not working my muscles as well as I could be. The warm-up really solidified this for me - I just can't seem to do any of it with proper form, even the modification, not because I'm not strong enough, but because I can't stretch far enough.

I really think I need to find some kind of separate stretching program to do as well as JMBR, because as I am now, this is really letting me down. Sadly JMBR doesn't seem to be helping me improve much in that area like it is in strength. I find a lot of the moves and stretches, even modifications, just "assume" that I have a baseline level of flexibility that I just don't have.
    (Edit: Does anyone have any recommendations here?)

In any case, after I got my head through the first 10 or so minutes I was fine. (Not being able to do the warm-up moves properly really dampened my motivation at the beginning.) Some of the moves are tough! The supersets are definitely more challenging than the constant variations we had in phase 1. I may have cheated at times and not gotten my butt down as far as Jillian would want, but I definitely felt the pain!
  • sunshinestater
    sunshinestater Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I've been doing JMBR one month now, and today I did workout 3 for the first time (I'm extending each phase out to one month to make the program last six months). OMG! My butt is whipped! I've always had trouble with plank and downward dog, so 3 is a major challenge for me. In the last two weeks of 1 and 2, I did the harder modifications and upped my weight to keep it challenging. Don't think I'll be doing that with this workout! But maybe..... (I can hope).
  • mellymo29
    Options
    Thereupon, now, Jillian does say that she's not very flexible, either. You can't rush flexibility. I suggest Yin Yoga with Kim Eng. She is Eckhart Tolle's partner. He wrote Power of Now and is a spiritual leader. Anyway, Kim has you do stretches for long periods of time, not rushing and giving the muscle time to fully stretch and relax. I downloaded it at soundstrue.com My right hip tends to be tight and this video was helpful for me. Or you can do hamstring stretches and butterfly stretches gently, for long periods of time, being patient with yourself.
  • mellymo29
    Options
    I feel like I'm doing these dumbbell swings wrong, it feels more like a static lunge and in the video they're pivoting and rotating their feet, I need to watch that again... and I definitely can't do single legged squats yet, I have to put the toes of the opposite foot down.

I feel the dumbbell swings are kind of confusing too. I don't want to get a knee injury, so I am really careful about pivoting and bent knees. I also haven't played golf, and have a fear of hitting my 7 yo in the head accidentally.
  • michielee
    michielee Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I am beginning week 4 today! So far so good but after reading these posts I am a little nervous to start disc 5 next week :wink:
  • yaybazinga
    Options
    Yay! Well done everyone. I did workout 5 earlier today and SURVIVED. Wow. I really need to work on my form, though. My flexibility really lets me down in some moves so I know I'm not working my muscles as well as I could be. The warm-up really solidified this for me - I just can't seem to do any of it with proper form, even the modification, not because I'm not strong enough, but because I can't stretch far enough.

I really think I need to find some kind of separate stretching program to do as well as JMBR, because as I am now, this is really letting me down. Sadly JMBR doesn't seem to be helping me improve much in that area like it is in strength. I find a lot of the moves and stretches, even modifications, just "assume" that I have a baseline level of flexibility that I just don't have.
    (Edit: Does anyone have any recommendations here?)

In any case, after I got my head through the first 10 or so minutes I was fine. (Not being able to do the warm-up moves properly really dampened my motivation at the beginning.) Some of the moves are tough! The supersets are definitely more challenging than the constant variations we had in phase 1. I may have cheated at times and not gotten my butt down as far as Jillian would want, but I definitely felt the pain!

I recommend Tara Stiles' Yoga videos on youtube! she has several beginner videos and when I first started doing Yoga with her videos I really liked this one: http://youtu.be/4PgIfOOHwH8
    I'd also add some stretches after Jillian's videos, she only does about three after her workouts and I always add some more. her stretches focus on the muscles we worked that day, but even though today was workout 6 I also did some stretches she'd do after workout 5 if that makes sense :)

hope this helps!
  • pcedano
    pcedano Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Finished Phase 1!!! Done 4.4lbs, goal weight was 172 for the end of this phase and I'm at 172.6!! Not bad. In total I only lost 1.5", but I lost 9" from btw my chest and hips:
    down 1" upper chest
    down 1" midrif
    down 2" at the smallest part of the waist
    down 3" at the belly botton
    down 2.5" lower hips

below the hips and my arm I actually gain but my clothes feel wonderful so I think I lost fat and gained muscle.
    up1" in each arm
    up 1" in each upper thigh
    up 2" in my left mid thigh
    up 2.5" in my right mid thigh

bust, upper hips, and calf stayed the same.

99c89fc3-7986-4b67-83a0-7090abaa2455.jpg

774d8fe3-2e0c-44d5-b9e1-96f9c2e5fec2.jpg
  • pcedano
    Options
    hmmm how can I make my pics smaller?
  • pcedano
    Options
    hmmm how can I make my pics smaller?

never mind figured it out lol
  • marieann82
    marieann82 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Finished Phase 1!!! Done 4.4lbs, goal weight was 172 for the end of this phase and I'm at 172.6!! Not bad. In total I only lost 1.5", but I lost 9" from btw my chest and hips:
    down 1" upper chest
    down 1" midrif
    down 2.5" lower hips

below the hips and my arm I actually gain but my clothes feel wonderful so I think I lost fat and gained muscle.
    up1" in each arm

Amazing work!
  • Thereupon
    Options
    I recommend Tara Stiles' Yoga videos on youtube! she has several beginner videos and when I first started doing Yoga with her videos I really liked this one: http://youtu.be/4PgIfOOHwH8
    I'd also add some stretches after Jillian's videos, she only does about three after her workouts and I always add some more. her stretches focus on the muscles we worked that day, but even though today was workout 6 I also did some stretches she'd do after workout 5 if that makes sense :)

hope this helps!
    Thanks so much! Exactly the type of thing I was looking for! (I'm so glad I have experience with downward dogs already or I would've been on the floor. :P) That was a great stretch after my workout just now.
  • yaybazinga
    Options
    ]Thanks so much! Exactly the type of thing I was looking for! (I'm so glad I have experience with downward dogs already or I would've been on the floor. :P) That was a great stretch after my workout just now.

:-) downward dogs look a lot easier than they are!

how was cardio 2 for you guys? since it's warm and sunny here today and won't be for the rest of the week I rode my bike instead... my legs and butt are really sore for the first time (except for the first day after workout 1), phase 2 is literally kicking my butt :bigsmile:
  • Thereupon
    Options
    ]Thanks so much! Exactly the type of thing I was looking for! (I'm so glad I have experience with downward dogs already or I would've been on the floor. :P) That was a great stretch after my workout just now.

:-) downward dogs look a lot easier than they are!

how was cardio 2 for you guys? since it's warm and sunny here today and won't be for the rest of the week I rode my bike instead... my legs and butt are really sore for the first time (except for the first day after workout 1), phase 2 is literally kicking my butt :bigsmile:
    Cardio 2 was fine! I really tend to work myself up a bit too much about trying new things, thinking they'll be worse than they are. (This is something I'm really trying to work on with this whole 'lifestyle change') . But while some moves were getting pretty tough by the last circuit, I didn't quit and I didn't die, and I felt great afterwards.
  • heathercarver96
    heathercarver96 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    down 1" upper chest
    down 1" midrif
    down 2.5" lower hips

up1" in each arm

That is amazing results!!! Keep it up girl! Looking good!
  • yaybazinga
    Options
    workout 5 is kicking my butt!!! I think circuit 3 is the worst, the one that works your arms. these crab dips are hard and the cardio interval of punches with resistance band... wow!! :noway:
  • mellymo29
    Options
    Workout 5 definitely has satanic elements. I can only lift one leg for a few seconds during all those crab dips. At least the other two workouts are more human being like.
  • kriswyman
    kriswyman Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I use a chair on the crab dips and lift one leg for 10 dips and then lift the other leg for 10 dips. They are definitely killers. This is the last few days of week 6 for me. I can't believe we are only half way. Hope I can make it to week 12!!!
  • mellymo29
    Options
    Kris, that's a good modification with the crab dips. I have a Flirty Girl Chair Fit video where they do dips on a chair, also. Of course you will make it to the final week. I think I may repeat it beginning with 3&4 after I complete it the first time. Or do some Davina McCall videos.