First Date Rules

Options

Replies

• whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    I have a kind of habit of having sex on the first date. Never really intended, but it's always a great icebreaker.

Someone watches Scrubs ;)

It always makes me happy when someone gets a Scrubs reference. :p
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    Ok; fair point; I have no problem with a real sport.

Incredibly poor acting does nothing for me.

Did you catch the winky face? That made it have a sexual connotation.
  • TheKitsune6
    Options
    I have a kind of habit of having sex on the first date. Never really intended, but it's always a great icebreaker.

I effing love that show and can't stop watching it 83
  • whierd
    Options
    So you wouldn't be willing to try to share in a potential partner's interests? Hmm.
    If it's wrestling, then no, frankly! ;)

I'd be expecting to have already found a good number of redeeming qualities to accept a girl that liked wrestling :P.

I don't particularly like wrestling either, but if the person I'm interested in was excited to having.scored tickets and wanted to share something she loves with me? Hell yes I'm going.

Just the same if I wanted to take her to Comicon or a gaming convention and wanted to share my.nerdgasm with her, I'd appreciate her going with me.
  • whierd
    Options

I just finished Doctor Who on Netflix so I started watching Scrubs from Season 1 again. :D
  • TheKitsune6
    Options

I just finished Doctor Who on Netflix so I started watching Scrubs from Season 1 again. :D

Nice! I've been forcing other friends to watch it with me as an excuse to watch it again, haha!
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    I think my only rule is to trust my instinct... and don't suggest a date that your prospect has indicated they're not interested in.

Case in point:

Someone wanted to take me on a first date, and the suggestion was that we go to a bar, and watch wrestling in the lounge. I am soooo not a fan of wrestling. I love MMA, and boxing, but wrestling makes me queasy - the overacting gets me.

So ok.. I figure I'll be open and say yes... and we get to the bar and it's a $10 cover... and he says, you're gonna have to pay for yours, payday isn't til next week. Oh, and can you buy me a beer?

I guess if it was me I would've said "I'm not really into wrestling but maybe after the match I could meet up with you then?" There is no way in hell I could sit through some boring sport I have noooo interest in.

But yeah 10 dollar cover and he won't even pay? Hell no! And then you buy drinks? Terrible!

So you wouldn't be willing to try to share in a potential partner's interests? Hmm.

To a certain extent, definitely. But she already knows she doesn't like wrestling. If she had never seen it before it would be different. But think about it this way...what if a girl said "let's watch the all day marathon of Millionaire Matchmaker and paint our nails." What if that is my interest? Somewhere there has to be a place where a couple can say "you know, I don't really like wrestling/seeing chick flicks/getting a manicure/going to a football game so maybe you could go alone/with your friends/family and then we could meet up after??"

There are many gender neutral activities that people can do together.
  • TheKitsune6
    Options

:huh:
  • christine24t
    Options

Like...
    - bars and restaurants
    - museums
    - parks/lakes/beaches
    - recreational activities (playing a round of pick up basketball, etc.)
    - movies
    - taking a class together

I would be massively annoyed if all a guy wanted to do was take me out to watch a basketball game on a big screen at BWW, same way most men would be annoyed if their girlfriend wanted to take them to get makeovers.
  • whierd
    Options
    A wild MISOGYNIST BARBIE has appeared!
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    And this is why I don't get many 'first dates'! :P
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    I think my only rule is to trust my instinct... and don't suggest a date that your prospect has indicated they're not interested in.

Case in point:

Someone wanted to take me on a first date, and the suggestion was that we go to a bar, and watch wrestling in the lounge. I am soooo not a fan of wrestling. I love MMA, and boxing, but wrestling makes me queasy - the overacting gets me.

So ok.. I figure I'll be open and say yes... and we get to the bar and it's a $10 cover... and he says, you're gonna have to pay for yours, payday isn't til next week. Oh, and can you buy me a beer?

I guess if it was me I would've said "I'm not really into wrestling but maybe after the match I could meet up with you then?" There is no way in hell I could sit through some boring sport I have noooo interest in.

But yeah 10 dollar cover and he won't even pay? Hell no! And then you buy drinks? Terrible!

To a certain extent, definitely. But she already knows she doesn't like wrestling. If she had never seen it before it would be different. But think about it this way...what if a girl said "let's watch the all day marathon of Millionaire Matchmaker and paint our nails." What if that is my interest? Somewhere there has to be a place where a couple can say "you know, I don't really like wrestling/seeing chick flicks/getting a manicure/going to a football game so maybe you could go alone/with your friends/family and then we could meet up after??"

Honestly, as much as I knew that wrestling makes me want to gag, I could appreciate his interest in it and his desire to see it. Apparently it was a big (rigged) match. So I can choke that down. But it would have been nice to know he expected me to pay! Lol

Next time in carry cash. I made the mistake of not having enough and then I had to use a teller to get cash out.. Hello $3 bank fee! Lol
  • whierd
    Options

Case in point:

Honestly, as much as I knew that wrestling makes me want to gag, I could appreciate his interest in it and his desire to see it. Apparently it was a big (rigged) match. So I can choke that down. But it would have been nice to know he expected me to pay! Lol

Next time in carry cash. I made the mistake of not having enough and then I had to use a teller to get cash out.. Hello $3 bank fee! Lol

*takes notes*
  • Daisy_Cutter_
    Daisy_Cutter_ Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    OK -- I haven't read all 7 pages...but just wanted to chime in.

When I was in my 20s I had "rules". Now that I'm in my 40's -- no rules apply!

I've kissed on the first date. I've had sex on the first date. I've paid. I've let him pay. I do what Kits-the-wise said.. I go with the flow. Did the sex-guy work out? Yeah, for a bit.... it didn't ruin anything. The chemistry was insane and I'd do it again.

Don't be afraid to LIVE people!!
  • TheKitsune6
    Options

Like...
    - bars and restaurants
    - museums
    - parks/lakes/beaches
    - movies

I would be massively annoyed if all a guy wanted to do was take me out to watch a basketball game on a big screen at BWW, same way most men would be annoyed if their girlfriend wanted to take them to get makeovers.

I was raising my eyebrow at the implications of a gender divide between hobbies that are considered acceptable or unacceptable based on genatalia.
  • TheKitsune6
    Options
    And this is why I don't get many 'first dates'! :P

Lol, it's easy for me. When he doesn't get it I have no problem saying "HRY I AM FLIRTING WITH YOU!"

but I am obnoxious like that.
  • TheKitsune6
    Options
    OK -- I haven't read all 7 pages...but just wanted to chime in.

When I was in my 20s I had "rules". Now that I'm in my 40's -- no rules apply!

I've kissed on the first date. I've had sex on the first date. I've paid. I've let him pay. I do what Kits-the-wise said.. I go with the flow. Did the sex-guy work out? Yeah, for a bit.... it didn't ruin anything. The chemistry was insane and I'd do it again.

Don't be afraid to LIVE people!!

Kits-the-wise... I can get used to this :]
  • whierd
    Options

Like...
    - bars and restaurants
    - museums
    - parks/lakes/beaches
    - movies

I was raising my eyebrow at the implications of a gender divide between hobbies that are considered acceptable or unacceptable based on genatalia.

Um, everyone knows that girls can't like "guy things" like sports, video games, and boobs.
  • christine24t
    Options

They're not unacceptable/acceptable. I just think that if a man asks a woman to do something traditionally masculine on a date, he may get a "hell no" back, the same way if I asked my boyfriend to come and get a pedicure with me he would look like I was crazy.

You shouldn't ask your date to do a particular strongly associated with one gender type of activity until you know what they like, you should pick something neutral, like just grabbing a drink instead of watching wrestling. There are soooo many other activities to do that both people will like, not just one half of the couple. That is what I was more getting at, rather than assigning activities to genders.

I hate most sports (with the exception of hockey and I'll go to a baseball game if I get free tickets), I absolutely hate video games and think they're a massive waste of time and energy and boobs, well...

But until a guy knows me, he should play it safe on dates.
  • whierd
    Options
    I'd totally go get a pedicure on a first date if asked.