April Check in & Chat - Spring into the Squat Rack

Replies

• chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,354 Member
    Workout B today. The only weight I increased were my deadlifts. I'm going to have to redo OHP because I've been doing push presses the whole time (yay :angry: ). I was proud of myself, but now feeling like an idiot. Soooo....

Soos-- I love your profile picture!
    jstout--Sorry you're still having pain. Glad you found something that works though!
    vegas (? I forget)-- Congrats on the PR for benches and rows. That's awesome!
    macy-- Ouch! DId you break anything or just thoroughly bruise your arm?

Hi to newbies, yay to people that need yays, and WTG and you're awesomes all around!
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    @Macy -- Sorry you got hurt !! Get better soon.

No lifting today due to female stuffs and general unwellness. Going to take a couple days and get back to it Saturday. Hoping that certain things will settle down by then that have been acting up.

Also I'm excited! A friend is coming over Saturday to lift with me because she wants to learn!! I get to pass on my addic ... err .. hobby! Woot! :smile:
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Hey, y'all! :flowerforyou:

I'm still around. Just babying my back so I can complete the mud run on Saturday. Can't wait to get back to my 5x5 lifts.

Hi to all the new folks and much love to my girls! I have many pages of posts to catch up on and will check in again soon!

@ Macy - I hope you feel better soon!
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Did B today.

70 on OHP but just couldn't get the last rep up. Form was much improved over last time so I think one or two more rounds at 70 before bumping up any.
    160 on Deadlifts.

Worked with a broomstick for the squats. Did a few sets at body weight again today with no problems.

I'm feeling spent for the week. I'll see how I feel after what I hope will be a good nights sleep before I decide if tomorrow will be a break day or not.

Dani - That is awesome that you get to share the hobby of lifting with a friend. Most of the people I know give me odd looks when I start talking about the joys of picking heavy things up and putting them back down.
  • ladyjoie
    ladyjoie Posts: 165 Member
    Some of you ladies have seriously inspiring numbers!

I did workout B today, got 5x5 on 45kg squats although I did notice a couple of times my form was slipping (leaving my hips bent too long, knee buckling) so I'm going to increase and keep an eye on it. I'd like to get to 50kg before I do a form deload. The empty bar feels like nothing now! I then went to OHP, for some reason even though I kept the weight the same (20kg, empty bar) I couldn't hit 5x5 this time although I did last time. Not sure what's going on there. So looks like I'll be stuck with 20kg again next time. I might bring in my baby plates the time after. Any increase is better than no increase! Lastly, deadlift. Tonight it was 65kg and that is starting to feel HEAVY. I had to take my hands off the bar for the first time, considering getting some gloves since my poor hands are definitely starting to feel it. May also have to change my grip in the next workout. Fingers crossed I can do 70, because that's not far off my bodyweight.

I don't think I've lost any inches yet but I can definitely feel everything tightening up. I'm trying to eat at TDEE -20% but I've been over for the last few days. Trying not to let it bother me as I probably needed it. On track from Monday though!
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    I'm trying to eat at TDEE -20% but I've been over for the last few days. Trying not to let it bother me as I probably needed it. On track from Monday though!

As long as you land somewhere between TDEE - 0% and TDEE -20% you are successfully losing fat. I'd call that "on track"
  • BikerGirlElaine
    BikerGirlElaine Posts: 1,631 Member
    @Macy hope it's just minor and feels better fast!

I took two days rest and that was very nice. According to my plan, I am doing two workouts at deloaded weights and then two more rest days this week. So today I got in there and I did:

75 lb squats 3X5, This is 75% of my last workweight. I worked on form. I've picked up a little flop forward at the bottom of my squat and I need to get rid of that... Is that weak abs doing that? I think that's what it is. I HATE ab work more than cardio, and so they have always been weak-ish.

45 lb OHP 5X5. My last workweight was 48.5 so not a true deload LOL. My form sux. I can't bring the bar straight up off my chest to save my soul, and the hell of it is that I can FEEL it making it harder, but I still can't stop it :grumble:

95 lb. deadlift. This was 65% of my last work weight and I focused on my form which is good -- natch', that is why I can do way more weight on DL's than any other lift LOL.

Then I did a half hour of cardio and called it good. :smile:
  • DaniH826
    Then I did a half hour of cardio and called it good. :smile:

I would have called that good without the cardio. :laugh:
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    So I am supposed to be doing a set of progression photos, measurements and scale weight on Saturday. These would be 6 week shots/numbers as the last (first set really) of pictures were taken when I first started my second cycle of SL at the beginning of March.

I think that I have decided to wait until my 3 months are up to go through all of this. Why?

I think I need to work on loving my body the way it is....and appreciating what it can do more than what it looks like. I think I need to really devote some time to becoming strong and sexy....not necessarily just skinny and sexy. I know that every day I make good decisions and I exercise at least 5 if not 6 days/week. But I find that I'm again getting obsessed with what I eat.....an overwhelming sense of guilt if I indulge in something I shouldn't or if I can't workout.....to the point that I'm not sure it's a healthy obsessive or unhealthy obsession.

I am constantly seeing these success stories where women have dropped 90lbs in one year and yet here I am 18 months in and actually up 12lbs from my lowest weight....and it all started when I started SL. The frustration is tremendous and starting to become demotivating! I love my new lifestyle, don't get me wrong. I don't plan on going back to VLCD or not lifting or anything....I know for sure that I can't reduce my calories much more, if at all, and if I can't lose at 1800....well.....then I need to change my frame of mind.

Has anyone been here? Any words of wisdom or advice?

Sorry for my rant.....just having one of those very frustrating days :(
  • macybean
    macybean Posts: 258 Member
    Thanks for all the well wishes...I'm sure it's just a bad bruise. It seems a little better tonight. Ice has been my best friend today!

I did feel a little sad as I passed the power rack on my way to my treadmill. I tried to lift some plates to do some squats, but it was a no-go!

@vegas...no words of wisdom from me (I can't even feed my dog!), but it has taken me 3 years to lose 22 pounds if that makes you feel any better! I would rather be stronger and heavier though rather than just thinner.
  • DaniH826
    Any words of wisdom or advice?

Yes. Quit beating yourself up for no reason.

If this is true (from your profile): "I started my weight loss journey in September 2011. Since then I have lost 62lbs and 33 inches from my chest, waist, and hips."

... Then you've still lost 50 pounds, and that's still amazing. 33 inches? I don't know what that's even like to lose that many.

And ... even more amazing, you've gained strength, confidence, a new lifestyle, and you've found a new passion and a new level of discipline that you didn't know you had before you started all this.

You're fine. :heart:

Of course all this comes from my Nutella-addled brain that just went 1200 cals over goal (with zero buffer cause I'm eating at maintenance ATM), so what do I know? :laugh: :drinker:

No, seriously. You're completely fine. :smooched:

We need to learn how to celebrate progress, and not defer happiness until we've achieved some level of perfection that's never going to ever happen, ever. It's fine to be happy now. You've more than earned it. :smile:
  • glwerth
    glwerth Posts: 335 Member
    So I am supposed to be doing a set of progression photos, measurements and scale weight on Saturday. These would be 6 week shots/numbers as the last (first set really) of pictures were taken when I first started my second cycle of SL at the beginning of March.

I think that I have decided to wait until my 3 months are up to go through all of this. Why?

I think I need to work on loving my body the way it is....and appreciating what it can do more than what it looks like. I think I need to really devote some time to becoming strong and sexy....not necessarily just skinny and sexy. I know that every day I make good decisions and I exercise at least 5 if not 6 days/week. But I find that I'm again getting obsessed with what I eat.....an overwhelming sense of guilt if I indulge in something I shouldn't or if I can't workout.....to the point that I'm not sure it's a healthy obsessive or unhealthy obsession.

I am constantly seeing these success stories where women have dropped 90lbs in one year and yet here I am 18 months in and actually up 12lbs from my lowest weight....and it all started when I started SL. The frustration is tremendous and starting to become demotivating! I love my new lifestyle, don't get me wrong. I don't plan on going back to VLCD or not lifting or anything....I know for sure that I can't reduce my calories much more, if at all, and if I can't lose at 1800....well.....then I need to change my frame of mind.

OMG.....I could have written this!

I'm super heavy and still, the weight isn't coming off. I'm making strength gains, but I'm losing from ideosyncratic places....places where one doens't habitually measure and the scale doens't move. Heck, last few weeks, I've gone down to 1500 or lower and all it does it make me cranky and less strong.

No words of wisdom, just commiserating. I thought I was the only one gaining weight (I'm up 8 lbs since starting SL last October).
  • glwerth
    glwerth Posts: 335 Member
    Still working on squat form. Today's lesson was trying to work on staying more upright as I come out of the squat. I have a tendency to lean forward to 'help'....up to 75 on squats (started at 65 on Monday) working form. It's going to be a while before I'm back to 140, but I'll be doing it right.

Watching my torso alignment really engages my abs more. A lot more.

So, today was OK, but I felt weak.

Squats: 75 5x5
    Bench: 85 5x5, going up to 90 next time!
    Row: 90 5x5 going to 95 next time. I've finally gotten the hang of this one.

DH noted that when I move around, very little flesh "moves", everything is way firmer than it used to be and yet, I still feel like "the blob" from the movies. Then again, my monthly visitor has just arrived which always makes me feel terrible about myself and everything in my world. Ah, hormones.
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member

Vegas - You know I say this with love (:heart: ), but stop beating yourself up for what you put into your mouth!

You look amazing, and I would kill to have a shape like yours. :love:

That said, remember, the scale numbers are just that - numbers. This strength training/heavy lifting has put a whole new spin on my "weight loss" journey, in that it's not really about the "weight loss." It's about getting healthy, getting strong, and looking good, no matter what the scale says.

Your lift numbers are freaking badass, and you should be SO very proud of yourself.

I have days like this, as well. First bit of "wisdom"...Don't compare yourself to anyone else. This is you versus you, not you versus some skinny b!tch whose metabolism is through the roof.

Love you for YOU, and be PROUD of everything that you have done thus far.

Confession time: When I first joined this group and started lurking in February I saw your profile pic and thought, "OMG! Look at HER! I want THAT kind of body...she's got to be one tough lady!"

So guess what? You are a role model and an inspiration for an "old" gal such as myself. :blushing:

Keep doing what you are doing, and stop feeling stressed out over culinary indulgences...you said yourself, you make smart choices all the time. That's more than a lot of people can say!

:heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:
  • DaniH826
    Ah, hormones.

Aren't those such fun?

:huh:
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member

I hear you. This is where I was two weeks ago. I haven't been gaining lately, but I've stalled. I had this idea that I'd keep consistently losing and I'd be not too far from 200 when I leave on my trip. Then, in November when I go back to the doctor that told me I'd lose weight, I'd be down 60 pounds and get a nice high five.

Probably not going to happen. A lot of people think I weigh less than I do (not sure if I carry my weight well or if I'm just relatively dense), but I still weigh 217lbs, which is far too much. Building muscle is great (not that I'm really going to be do much of that on a deficit), and losing inches is awesome, but I know at some point the scale will need to move. But, I can't make it do anything. I'm not going to starve myself to make the scale move.

However, even though I know what you're going through, I have no real words of wisdom. Personally, posting the progress pics helped me because even though I can't see any changes (my eyes usually go straight to my stomach where there has been little progress), but other people can point out where there have been changes. I get so frustrated, but then I look at what others are telling me, and I can start to see the changes, even if they aren't where I want or as drastic of a change as I want. That said, I don't love my body now. It sucks.

I've been reading some fitmamatraining.com (she was a suggested read by gokaleo), and she's all for accepting yourself even if you want to make improvements. The problem is we all know we need to love ourselves. The question is how to get there. She suggested starting by finding one thing you love about yourself and dressing it up. Concentrate on that (hers was her eyes so she made sure to wear eye makeup), then find something else you can love. Sadly, I almost don't want to do this because it already takes me too long to get ready in the morning :laugh:

I'm sorry. I'm really not very helpful this morning.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Oh and Vegas, very fitting. FitMamaTraining just posted a link to this blog post on FB:
    http://fitmamatraining.com/your-scale-is-an-*kitten*/
  • extraordinary_machine
    extraordinary_machine Posts: 3,028 Member
    Vegas, I still struggle with this--and I'm all about loving what you got. I am trying to come to terms with the fact that I will never see my lower abs. Obliques, yeah, I can see them, but I have a little layer of fat there and I'm not willing to cut my cals enough to get low enough bf to really see them.

OHP day on Wednesday--warm up sets of 5 reps of 30, 35, 45, then work sets of 50 and 60 for 3 reps and 65 for 7 reps.
    Dips--body weight for 3 reps, then 3x8 assisted
    Chin ups--1 set of assisted reps (10) with 110 lbs assistance, 2 sets of negative whatchamacalits, and then 2 sets of 8 with 95 lbs.
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Thank you all for such kind words....not gonna lie....I kind of teared up this morning reading such lovely words of encouragement :cry: :happy: Also, @macy and @gl.....it doesn't make me happy to hear that you can identify.....but it does, if that makes sense :laugh:

I do have to stop being so hard on myself....I know where it comes from....I guess I just don't know how to get over it/get past it.

I was traveling for work this week and while I know I made "decent" choices I was really beating myself up because I didn't log. Well I just tallied everything up.....yeah I averaged about 1900 calories per day and worked out every day. Beating myself up for that is NOT GOOD!

@mouse.....you are so cute! Sometimes I think we forget that other people's perception of us is so different than our own! Thank you for such a lovely compliment!

@Dani.....you should start writing articles or blogs or something....seriously.....I always look forward to everything you have to say. You are always the voice of reason!

@auddii......I recall a couple of weeks ago when you were in a tough place....and I remember giving you the advice that I would give to myself :laugh: I know all these things deep down....but somehow making me believe them are a completely different ball game! I have checked out Fit Mama and although I love her overall message, she's not my favorite. Not sure why though :laugh:
  • fisherlassie
    fisherlassie Posts: 542 Member

It is absolutely about perspective. I lost the 100 pounds , well 95 now, and I still have those days where I look at all the jiggly stuff and i don't think about how far I have come but how far I have to go. I think we all need to be reminded about that from time to time. You Vegas are truly lovely! You have a beautiful face and an amazingly beautiful strong body! One of the doctors i went to recently had some good advice about not worrying about the scale. She said to just keep on doing what i am doing. I think that's what you should do too!