Spreadsheet for bodyfat, BMR, TDEE, progress tracker

Options
123457»

Replies

• mymodernbabylon
    mymodernbabylon Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    I tried this and it suggested for my 7 lbs to go goal that I eat a bit more than 25% under my TDEE...what? Nope, not doing it. I'm trying to eat about 5% or 10% max below my TDEE as I want a small regular loss (and honestly, I'd be fine with not losing any further weight but losing fat). I might be confused.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I tried this and it suggested for my 7 lbs to go goal that I eat a bit more than 25% under my TDEE...what? Nope, not doing it. I'm trying to eat about 5% or 10% max below my TDEE as I want a small regular loss (and honestly, I'd be fine with not losing any further weight but losing fat). I might be confused.

Did under Your Results say 7 lbs left to lose, to confirm it saw the correct numbers?

If so, do you have nothing but weight lifting as your workouts with no high cardio?

If so, to lose weight you could take that maximum deficit. Studies on the TDEE Deficit tab for the 0.7% deficit method used for max showed them actually gaining LBM while taking that extreme of a deficit, this calc at least stops at BMR as minimum.

This is weight loss calculator for max fat loss while retaining muscle mass, not body recomposition to gain muscle while losing fat, not performance increasing. Max fat loss is it's TDEG recommendation.

You of course can always eat more than TDEG if you'd prefer to still be increasing in performance or just to eat more to actually adhere to it.
    The TDEE Deficit tab has some other methods to enhance the potential gain in performance if indeed lifting.
    The only thing to fill in there is near bottom as to what TDEE to use, delete the yellow cell TDEE to use what was on the Simple Setup tab.
    Then use the lines for Calorie Cycling for that method.
  • RetiredAndLovingIt
    RetiredAndLovingIt Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    bump to read later
  • mymodernbabylon
    mymodernbabylon Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options

Did under Your Results say 7 lbs left to lose, to confirm it saw the correct numbers?

If so, do you have nothing but weight lifting as your workouts with no high cardio?

Yup, it said only 7% to lose and I don't do any high cardio (I walk the dog, play softball and do stuff around the house). I would like to lose the 7 lbs but not quickly. I just thought I'd point this out as people might think that they have to eat a lot less calories than they ought due to being told to eat that many calories under TDEE even with so few pounds to lose (I was always told that with under 20lb to lose to use a max of 15% under TDEE).
  • heybales
    Options

Yup, it said only 7% to lose and I don't do any high cardio (I walk the dog, play softball and do stuff around the house). I would like to lose the 7 lbs but not quickly. I just thought I'd point this out as people might think that they have to eat a lot less calories than they ought due to being told to eat that many calories under TDEE even with so few pounds to lose (I was always told that with under 20lb to lose to use a max of 15% under TDEE).

Normally, yep.

But if you need the weight gone, it's still reasonable if you are lifting, which you must be, to retain the muscle mass.
    But indeed, you always have to chose what the current goal is, and if not the fat gone, then you don't have to eat so little.

Consider this - how quick would the 7 lbs be gone between the different deficit amounts?
    Once gone, then eating at maintenance, you can really start to improve performance on the bar and increase muscles if diet allows.

That's why body builders have found the most effective (for time) method is to bulk by eating in excess and really increase the muscle, and then cut deep to get rid of the fat for a show fast, but not so fast they lose the muscle.
  • FitChickNC
    FitChickNC Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    This spreadsheet is amazing! My question is for the fitbit page, I usually add my exercise to the fitbit app with accuracy for my cardio of running, classes, stairmill etc. SO for example yesterday with putting in my body pump class and my run (and at the correct times of day) I ended up with a TDEE of 2606 (just looked this morning) DO I put that in on the second column and just keep using that for those kinds of days to get an accurate TDEE?

Also on lifting days do I use the first column then? I realize wearing a HRM when I lift is far from accurate with the post metabolic raise so wasn't sure if I should or should not bother to wear one and which column to put my TDEE in.

Thank you in advance for your help!!! :)
  • heybales
    Options
    This spreadsheet is amazing! My question is for the fitbit page, I usually add my exercise to the fitbit app with accuracy for my cardio of running, classes, stairmill etc. SO for example yesterday with putting in my body pump class and my run (and at the correct times of day) I ended up with a TDEE of 2606 (just looked this morning) DO I put that in on the second column and just keep using that for those kinds of days to get an accurate TDEE?

Also on lifting days do I use the first column then? I realize wearing a HRM when I lift is far from accurate with the post metabolic raise so wasn't sure if I should or should not bother to wear one and which column to put my TDEE in.

Thank you in advance for your help!!! :)

MFP or Fitbit database entry for weight lifting is more accurate than HRM, indeed.
    You don't want to account for the metabolic raise during repair, as that's just extra fat burn. Only the workout time is enough.
    Now if bulking and trying to eat in excess - yes indeed that counts.

I'm glad you asked this question, I do need to reword that Method 2 for if you manually input other workouts to correct calorie burn Fitbit got wrong.
    So yes to Method 2, if you want an almost steady daily eating goal with minimal variation, but knowing you are covering the basis good enough.

So that's going to tell you what to tweak on MFP, so it's normally non-exercise maintenance is as close to your average exercise-included TDEE as possible.
    That way when MFP compares it's figure with what it gets from Fitbit, it'll be close with minimal adjustment.

Now in that list of TDEE's, I also noted that I didn't spell out including any rest days, not just exercise days. So typical 7 days of a week is what's needed, including whatever rest day levels you hit.

And each method is meant to to be used separately, since very different.
  • FitChickNC
    FitChickNC Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Great, thank you! :)