MFP Grand Tour Cycling Challenge - Discussion/Signup Thread

Options

Replies

• TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,682 Member
    Options
    Thanks TBY for putting my name down for Giro! Seeing the team has been filled up already when I woke up this morning, I had a panic moment that no spot left :laugh:

Btw what does the leader need to do?

I was worried that the second team would fill up before you and Fran logged in, so just dropped your names into the list as you'd already expressed an interest.

Traditionally, the lowest number Dossard on a team is the person who's most likely to be going for the GC competition - so, I guess what you need to do is ride more km's than everyone else in the challenge... (just kidding - you really just need to ride and log your distance, same as everyone else...)
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    Btw what does the leader need to do?

Be out at the front at ALL times, so everyone can follow you :wink:

I always thought that the team leader sat on the wheel of their Domestiques until half way up the last hill, then mullered it... PMSL
  • Scudder76
    Scudder76 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Hiya-

I'm newer around here, and trying to get my head around this. Does each person ride that much every day all month, or are we trying to hit those numbers collectively, as a team? (I think it's the team, because individual riding would be... well, we'd all have to be unemployed!)

If my understanding is correct, please call me 314!
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    311 - narak_lol
    312 - Cyclink
    313 - Christophenes
    314 - Scudder76
    315 - Hawkeyegal1995
    316 - Frannybobs
    319 - harksy
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    Hiya-

I'm newer around here, and trying to get my head around this. Does each person ride that much every day all month, or are we trying to hit those numbers collectively, as a team? (I think it's the team, because individual riding would be... well, we'd all have to be unemployed!)

If my understanding is correct, please call me 314!

yeah - it's collective effort - between all 9 members of the team we have to try and hit that days route distance. So if the stage is 180km, we need to average 20km each.... When you run the numbers, it's eminently do-able, but obviously not everyone will ride every day, and some may do 2 big rides on a weekend and not much through the week... we've not failed yet though - 2 teams in 2 grand tours and all 4 greater totals than the total km's... ok, some stages were a little short of distance, and others - well - prologue stages, pretty much everyone did more than the stage distance EACH, but overall, we completed the route...
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    Team 2

Giro_Dossard_311.jpg

Giro_Dossard_312.jpg

Giro_Dossard_313.jpg

Giro_Dossard_314.jpg

Giro_Dossard_315.jpg

Giro_Dossard_316.jpg

Giro_Dossard_319.jpg
  • cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    Lovin' Christophenes' 'Dossard' - Good luck all the way!
  • cloggsy71
    Options
    Isn't Harksy Northern Ireland?

• Frannybobs
    Frannybobs Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    Woohoo, thanks TBY - wearing my "dossard" (?) with pride - it has replaced the photo of me as a baby looking mardy next to a biscuit barrel!!!
  • TheBigYin
    Options

True - but last year, on his request, he had the tricolour... Having worked in the construction industry for 10 years, I made a point of asking :smile:
  • harksy
    harksy Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    A foot on either side of the border ;)
  • banshee1013
    banshee1013 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Are signups for this still live? If so, I'll help round out Team 2 with either of the numbers left :)
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    311 - narak_lol
    312 - Cyclink
    313 - Christophenes
    314 - Scudder76
    315 - Hawkeyegal1995
    316 - Frannybobs
    319 - harksy

just pick a number, quote this post, and edit your name in...
  • banshee1013
    Options
    311 - narak_lol
    312 - Cyclink
    313 - Christophenes
    314 - Scudder76
    315 - Hawkeyegal1995
    316 - Frannybobs
    317 - banshee1013
    319 - harksy

I'm in! Don't let my Classics Challenge mileage fool you - I ride a lot, it just took me awhile to figure out the posting :D I've got it down now, and while I won't put up huge numbers (due to work and baseball, the big rides are usually on Saturdays), I'll make as big of a contribution as I can :)
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    311 - narak_lol
    312 - Cyclink
    313 - Christophenes
    314 - Scudder76
    315 - Hawkeyegal1995
    316 - Frannybobs
    317 - banshee1013
    319 - harksy

I'm in! Don't let my Classics Challenge mileage fool you - I ride a lot, it just took me awhile to figure out the posting :D I've got it down now, and while I won't put up huge numbers (due to work and baseball, the big rides are usually on Saturdays), I'll make as big of a contribution as I can :)

hey, "from each according to their abilities...." works for me... it's all about getting out there - and if the whole challenge gets everyone to do at least one extra ride above what they would, then it's all worthwhile...

it's a lot simpler on this challenge - no spot prizes, no photo's, just ride, log and report...
  • cloggsy71
    Options

True - but last year, on his request, he had the tricolour... Having worked in the construction industry for 10 years, I made a point of asking :smile:

Cool... My bad :wink:
  • matsprt1984
    matsprt1984 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Is this challenge between team members or between teams ??
  • cloggsy71
    Options
    Is this challenge between team members or between teams ??

Bit of both really...
    For those of you who didn't join in with last years challenge, what I propose is that as a team of 9 riders we try and ride between us a distance each day equal to or greater than the distance of that day’s stage in the Grand Tours (The Giro d'Italia, Tour De France and La Vuelta Espana). The person in the team who rides the largest total km’s gets the Leaders Jersy, the person achieving the fastest average speed overall gets the Sprinters jersey and the person who posts the highest total ascent figure in metres gets King of the Mountains jersey.

:wink:
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    311 - narak_lol
    312 - Cyclink
    313 - Christophenes
    314 - Scudder76
    315 - Hawkeyegal1995
    316 - Frannybobs
    317 - banshee1013
    319 - harksy

Giro_Dossard_317.jpg
  • banshee1013
    Options
    Excited! My first "dossard" (or I believe here in the US it's called a "bib")! I shall wear it with pride.

Also, I've invited a cycling friend of mine to join and fill out Team 2, but will depend on whether he gets the message before the final spot is taken. Here's hoping, he cycles to work every day :D
This discussion has been closed.