MFP Grand Tour Cycling Challenge - Discussion/Signup Thread

Options

Replies

• hawkeyegal1995
    hawkeyegal1995 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to post an apology to team 2! I thought I had caught a gap in the today's rain so I went out to grab a few miles. Big mistake and it kicked up fast and I ended up in a downpour. I ended up going down hard. I was able to limp home but my knee is shot. I wrapped it up and put some ice on it so I could get the bike cleaned up and see if I did any damage to the bike. At this point I can barely bend it. I have a 5 mile mud run next weekend so I am have to chill out for a few days so that it can heal up for that event. Really sorry!!!
  • TDSeest
    TDSeest Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to post an apology to team 2! I thought I had caught a gap in the today's rain so I went out to grab a few miles. Big mistake and it kicked up fast and I ended up in a downpour. I ended up going down hard. I was able to limp home but my knee is shot. I wrapped it up and put some ice on it so I could get the bike cleaned up and see if I did any damage to the bike. At this point I can barely bend it. I have a 5 mile mud run next weekend so I am have to chill out for a few days so that it can heal up for that event. Really sorry!!!

I hope you feel better soon.
  • CDGolden
    CDGolden Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I really enjoy the events/challenges that require a posting of the route (garmin / strava / etc) looking at where everyone else lives, rides is pretty cool...having never been out of the states, being able to use Google Maps/Earth to look at where everyone else rides is really pretty cool.

Just thinking out loud
  • fishbrain976
    fishbrain976 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    yeah, its been great riding with you guys 'virtually'. strava is awesome... fyi lance armstrong uses that too :)

thank you TBY for the great challenge and amazing setup on the spreadsheet :)
  • fishbrain976
    fishbrain976 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    oh yeah, got a race coming up in Singapore on june 7. 40km route. I am training hard to get my average to 38kmph, or not at least 40. Previous result 1st was 59 minutes finishing 40km. I target to finish 1h05mins... this challenge sort of give me a kick to train for this too. thank you again.
  • TDSeest
    TDSeest Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    hopefully, I've now sorted a online version of the logging sheet. Have a look at

http://www.editgrid.com/user/thebigyin/MFP_Giro_Challenge_2013

see if it works (editgrid seems incredibly sloooooow here, so YMMV)

Great work on this. Thanks. It is fun to see the numbers change live in front of your eyes.
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,682 Member
    Options

sorry to hear you've had a bit of an off... take care of yourself, don't worry about silly internet challenges - just get yourself healthy again.
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    I really enjoy the events/challenges that require a posting of the route (garmin / strava / etc) looking at where everyone else lives, rides is pretty cool...having never been out of the states, being able to use Google Maps/Earth to look at where everyone else rides is really pretty cool.

Just thinking out loud

While "verification" of the rides is the primary motive, I do actually find it fascinating to roam around using google earth, and often streetview to see just where some of you get to ride. I was amazed yesterday for example to see a ride posted of 37km with absolutely zero ascent! It turned out to be around the periphery of what looked to be a sandbank! fascinating to explore...
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    Great work on this. Thanks. It is fun to see the numbers change live in front of your eyes.

Glad you like it - it's back up to date again now...
  • agreenmess
    agreenmess Posts: 94
    Options
    Hello all, me again seems I have the flu, I am on the mend though my throut is killing me, I will give myself the weekend grace and then be back on the bike on Monday. I am sorry about this seems that everything happens at once :(
  • daz_automatic
    Options
    I was amazed yesterday for example to see a ride posted of 37km with absolutely zero ascent! It turned out to be around the periphery of what looked to be a sandbank! fascinating to explore...

That sounds similar to Cambridge to me! :glasses:
  • mdstamand
    mdstamand Posts: 169 Member
    Options

No problem and no apology needed, that what team mates are for. We'll try to cover the km's while you get well for your mud run.
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    I'm going to delete a few of the earlier posts in the "entries thread" - I really don't want the thread to get too long and unweildey. I'll leave the most recent one or two posts, but the first couple of days worth can go now... so don't worry if some of your posts vanish - it was me!
  • agreenmess
    agreenmess Posts: 94
    Options
    Hello all, right this flu/cold chesty thing I've got going is not shifting, I've spent 4 days in bed/doing nothing and its not helping at all no matter how much cough medicine, lemsips ect that I am taking, so I'm going to bow out of the competition. I'm sorry about this but I really think I need another week of "bed rest" to get rid of the chesty cough I have and I don't want to be straining my lungs on the hills. I will hopefully look out for the Tour de France thread and wish everyone else luck in the challenge

Nessy
  • amiller7x7
    amiller7x7 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    For the Giro Challenge - here are the riders from today's ride (66.6 km) which is posted in the rides data part of the thread....too bad I can't count all the mileage accumulated by the whole group today for our team!! (This is an experiment to help technically challenged me learn to post photos to MFP)

8733474322_cc407699cc.jpg
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    Hello all, right this flu/cold chesty thing I've got going is not shifting, I've spent 4 days in bed/doing nothing and its not helping at all no matter how much cough medicine, lemsips ect that I am taking, so I'm going to bow out of the competition. I'm sorry about this but I really think I need another week of "bed rest" to get rid of the chesty cough I have and I don't want to be straining my lungs on the hills. I will hopefully look out for the Tour de France thread and wish everyone else luck in the challenge

Nessy

Don't worry about it Ness, If you can ride in a weeks and a half's time, do so - if not, don't sweat it... You aren't well - take whatever time it takes to get yourself fit - this is a fitness site, not a "mental rabid obsessive cyclists" site after all... As someone who recently lost a parent to "Pneumonia Related" problems, last thing I want to do is encourage someone with a chest-problem to go riding...
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    For the Giro Challenge - here are the riders from today's ride (66.6 km) which is posted in the rides data part of the thread....too bad I can't count all the mileage accumulated by the whole group today for our team!! (This is an experiment to help technically challenged me learn to post photos to MFP)

8733474322_cc407699cc.jpg

Al, you nailed it... and one day, if I'm really lucky, I hope to hook up with you and be the fat bloke on the end of the "team photo"...
  • FatDadSlim
    FatDadSlim Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    this is a fitness site, not a "mental rabid obsessive cyclists" site after all...

Whereabouts is the unsubscribe button?
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    this is a fitness site, not a "mental rabid obsessive cyclists" site after all...

Whereabouts is the unsubscribe button?

it's okay - we DO cater for the "mental rabid obsessive cyclists" as well - we have to, I AM ONE!
  • narak_lol
    narak_lol Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Yea this is serious stuff... this is a battle of honour / honor (is this bi-lingual:glasses: )
This discussion has been closed.