MFP Grand Tour Cycling Challenge - Discussion/Signup Thread

Options

Replies

• TDSeest
    TDSeest Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    After raining for four days, it's supposed to clear out tomorrow until Thursday. I was able to get in a ride today, and it was good to check out my rain gear for the year. But, I'm looking forward to some sun shine.

Yesterday was the first day I'd actually been able to get out in shorts - the weather over here has been pretty uniformly awful.

I pick up about 1 MPH when I ride in shorts over long pants. My magic number for shorts is 50 degrees F. Anything above that and I'm in shorts.
  • TDSeest
    Options
    I sympathize with you on the rain! I broke down and road 2+ hours in the rain Saturday. My shoes were still wet last evening and with the morning temps in the low 40's today I couldn't bring myself to ride.

Such seems to be the nature of these "challenges". On challenge days its hard to ride and I'll probably lay down my most mileage on a "rest" day. C'est la vie!

Yep. I'll log some major mileage on the rest days too.
  • TDSeest
    Options
    Okay to all my Team one folks... I know I'm not a huge hitter when it comes to miles...

I have a light week planned, but weather permitting have a double century over the weekend (105 miles each day). Just thought I'd give y'all a heads up.

Have fun on the double century. Sounds like quite the challenge.
  • agreenmess
    agreenmess Posts: 94
    Options
    Hello all, I'm amazed at how many km everyone is clocking, sorry to team 3 these past two days seems to of been a wash for me due to getting some sort of 48 hour virus! Hopefully back on the mend now, with a seriously sore throat
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,686 Member
    Options
    Hello all, I'm amazed at how many km everyone is clocking, sorry to team 3 these past two days seems to of been a wash for me due to getting some sort of 48 hour virus! Hopefully back on the mend now, with a seriously sore throat

I think one or two of us need to "get a life" :laugh: - shame about the virus - take care of yourself, don't rush into riding if you're not feeling right - it's only some random bloke on the internet's silly challenge after all (and yes, i'd give exactly the same advice to someone on team 1 before anyone accuses me of being over-competitive :wink:)

I was always told that with a cold or related bug, that "if it's above the neck, it's fine to exercise gently, if it's below, then rest up 'till it's gone" - just take it gently...k?
  • fishbrain976
    fishbrain976 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    hi TBY, is there some where we can see our overall to see how the team is standing? Sorry, just wanna make sure we are doing well for the team :) afterall, its a challenge (but not a competition)
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    hi TBY, is there some where we can see our overall to see how the team is standing? Sorry, just wanna make sure we are doing well for the team :) afterall, its a challenge (but not a competition)

Simple answer is yes, just come around to my house, and I'll show you the spreadsheet... otherwise no. :laugh:
  • RedSunshine365
    RedSunshine365 Posts: 189 Member
    Options

Simple answer is yes, just come around to my house, and I'll show you the spreadsheet... otherwise no. :laugh:

I was wondering the same thing! Suppose using one of those google docs or other online document sharing thing would be out of the question? Just a read-only document, of course.
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    It's very simple everyone - i've taken the raw data from the entries thread and bunged it in a spreadsheet.

At the moment, this is purely a long unstructured list of rider#, distance, time, ascent and URL.

I'm a little busy at the moment, certain things having happened in my life between mooting this challenge, and it starting - things that have fairly large consequences in terms of time spent in sorting out paperwork and meeting people etc... I am also trying to find a little time to grieve for the loss of my father.

Sooo, frankly, organising a spreadsheet that is 100% permanently up to date, published on the internet for the edification of others, is quite a long way down my list of priorities - especially as at the moment there are at least 45 "ride-slots" over the last 4 days that have been un-reported. (that's 45 out of a potential 108 - nearly half - which frankly makes any figures potentialy so far out as to be a waste of time and energy)

If everyone can make an effort to book all their rides up by close of play on the 12th, I'll see if I can spend the rest day building a proper displayable spreadsheet - perhaps using the service that fishbrain976 mentioned... Until then, I'd really appreciate not being pestered anymore for updates.

Thanks
  • RedSunshine365
    Options
    Hey TBY - there is no pressure to get the summaries posted. I think you've done an amazing job creating this challenge for us! The fact that you're still willing to take on capturing all of the data while also dealing with very important personal issues is not something most people would do.

So..really..thank you! I apologize for my impatience.
  • rides4sanity
    rides4sanity Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    Team 1: I strolled through the posted rides as of now (3:20pm EST US) we are about 95 km shy of our 244. Roads a wet & not sure if the rain is done. I'll ride tonight, but not sure how far I'll make it. If you're on the fence about riding today, get off and ride. :flowerforyou:
  • CDGolden
    CDGolden Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Well no ride today (Tuesday) unknown about Wednesday, both are my long days at work (0600-1830)

BUT my bike got a nice treat....hot soapy degrease bath, towel tried, pulled the cassette apart, pulled the chain, pulled the crank, new grease/lube all around and ready to go Thursday for sure.

My wife is a little jealous.
  • narak_lol
    narak_lol Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Stage 5 Wednesday, May 8 199 km Cosenza → Matera

Hello Team 2! Just a heads up that I'm riding tonight (Wed 8 May) - normal ~50km if weather permits...

Forecast is rain later... HOLD - THE - RAIN :mad: :mad:
  • RedSunshine365
    Options
    Well no ride today (Tuesday) unknown about Wednesday, both are my long days at work (0600-1830)

BUT my bike got a nice treat....hot soapy degrease bath, towel tried, pulled the cassette apart, pulled the chain, pulled the crank, new grease/lube all around and ready to go Thursday for sure.

My wife is a little jealous.

I'm jealous!
  • TDSeest
    Options
    Well, my boss ruined my plans for riding today. Sorry team. This current contract that I'm working really sucks. He walks in every morning and just creates new emergencies all day long. I'm still working on crap he wants done by tomorrow morning.
  • banshee1013
    banshee1013 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Finally posted my rides today - sadly, only 3 as I spent Cinco de Mayo nursing a sick husband and doing laundry, and a baseball game on Monday. Did my darndest to make up a bit today - 37 km, and would have been longer if the blasted wind didn't gust so hard and knock me off the bike! Landed rather hard on the head and thought I was going to have a headache, so started the return trip through the headwinds earlier than I would have liked.

Happily, I'll be riding under (hopefully) less windy conditions for the rest of the week :)
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    hopefully, I've now sorted a online version of the logging sheet. Have a look at

http://www.editgrid.com/user/thebigyin/MFP_Giro_Challenge_2013

see if it works (editgrid seems incredibly sloooooow here, so YMMV)
  • daz_automatic
    Options
    hopefully, I've now sorted a online version of the logging sheet. Have a look at

http://www.editgrid.com/user/thebigyin/MFP_Giro_Challenge_2013

see if it works (editgrid seems incredibly sloooooow here, so YMMV)

Looks great to me, but yeah it is a bit slow to load.

Go team 2!!! :glasses:
  • FatDadSlim
    FatDadSlim Posts: 497 Member
    Options

If it's loading slow then just keep hitting refresh and it speeds it up. (works for me anyway)
  • narak_lol
    narak_lol Posts: 855 Member
    Options

If it's loading slow then just keep hitting refresh and it speeds it up. (works for me anyway)

This is what I do too! sometimes I only get the "transferring" message - after attacking the refresh buttons a couple of times it loads miraculously.
This discussion has been closed.