zorbaru Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    smashed w4d2 tonight. really happy. report to come
  • teamAmelia
    teamAmelia Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Congrats to you! :drinker:
    W6D3 tonight. 22 minute run here I come!
    Wooohooo! Good luck. :smile:

badwolfIO, I hope that you got a chance to go out and run since your last post. Sometimes, you do need a break, though. So, if you've been working out a lot, grant yourself that break. But, don't get too comfortable and forget to go back out. I was pretty exhausted w C25K around the same time, but then I remembered how far I had come. Hang in there. I look forward to seeing your update on W7D3! :smile:
  • badwolfIO
    badwolfIO Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Congrats to you! :drinker:
    W6D3 tonight. 22 minute run here I come!
    Wooohooo! Good luck. :smile:

badwolfIO, I hope that you got a chance to go out and run since your last post. Sometimes, you do need a break, though. So, if you've been working out a lot, grant yourself that break. But, don't get too comfortable and forget to go back out. I was pretty exhausted w C25K around the same time, but then I remembered how far I had come. Hang in there. I look forward to seeing your update on W7D3! :smile:

Nope.... overslept on my alarm this morning (mostly on purpose). So I guess I'll do a retry tonight. I was going to leave it until tomorrow, but I read your post. You're right. I don't want to leave it too long. Thanks!
  • jeffd247
    jeffd247 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    W4D1 today. That was challenging. I'm nervous again about being ready for the 5k on Thanksgiving day

Just keep swimming... just keep swimming...
  • zorbaru
    Options
    interesting w4d3 tonight. will report later
  • zorbaru
    Options
    W4D1 today. That was challenging.

yeh w4d1 is a shock to the system. d2 and d3 are easier then w5d1 drops back to 1 min less running for the routine so stick with it
  • zorbaru
    Options
    burnt my heel last night on a piece of charcoal.

thats going to set me back 1 or 2 weeks :(
  • Skitzabeth
    Skitzabeth Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Did Week 4, Day 1 yesterday. I was so freaked out about the 5min going in, but I told myself to just get through it and not worry about going fast. And I did it! And it actually felt pretty good!

I was so excited when I was finished. When I first started I couldn't even get through a whole minute on Week 1 without having to stop. Thinking about getting through the entire program seemed impossible then, but now that I can see my progress, the rest of the program doesn't seem as intimidating!
  • yaseyuku
    yaseyuku Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    I am happy to announce that today I graduated from C25K! I completed my 30 minute run and, not only did I do it, but it was a pretty great run (despite my muscles being a bit sore from previous strength training).

My first 5K is in a little less than two weeks and I already signed up for a second that is happening on Thanksgiving.

I'm glad to be done and glad that it ended on a great note, but I'll definitely miss C25K. I'm currently looking for a good 10K training program. Has anyone tried and had success with B210K? Or any other program?
  • candiceh3
    candiceh3 Posts: 379
    Options
    Congratulations!
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    I am happy to announce that today I graduated from C25K! I completed my 30 minute run and, not only did I do it, but it was a pretty great run (despite my muscles being a bit sore from previous strength training).

My first 5K is in a little less than two weeks and I already signed up for a second that is happening on Thanksgiving.

I'm glad to be done and glad that it ended on a great note, but I'll definitely miss C25K. I'm currently looking for a good 10K training program. Has anyone tried and had success with B210K? Or any other program?

Good job on finishing!

I used the RunDouble C25k app. If you spend the $4 for the premium app, it includes 5 to 10k and a ton of other run options. I love the app! I think there are free ones out there too, though.
  • Lyerin
    Lyerin Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Last week:

Monday: 4 miles (3 miles + 8 strides) (and Zumba and weights)
    Tuesday: dance practice (1 hour)
    Wednesday: 3.5 miles + weights
    Thursday: Rest (switched with Sunday)
    Friday: 3 miles (and Body Shred and Zumba)
    Saturday: 6 miles + weights
    Sunday: Zumba Toning
  • jeffd247
    jeffd247 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Did Week 4, Day 1 yesterday. I was so freaked out about the 5min going in, but I told myself to just get through it and not worry about going fast. And I did it! And it actually felt pretty good!

I was so excited when I was finished. When I first started I couldn't even get through a whole minute on Week 1 without having to stop. Thinking about getting through the entire program seemed impossible then, but now that I can see my progress, the rest of the program doesn't seem as intimidating!

Great point. I thought that later too, that I couldn't do all the running intervals on W1D1. I'm still intimidated by some of the future runs, but I believe I can do it too!
  • Homemaker57
    Homemaker57 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone! I just completed W2D1 with my black lab :) I was surprised that jogging for 90 sec wasn't hard at all! I go very slow, about a 12:30 pace at "top speed", lol. But if I can just JOG for a 5k, I know the speed part will come later! I just want to be able to keep moving!

Problem: My shins hurt! They feel tight and they burn, both when walking and running. Does that indicate my gait or blaance is off or something? What stretches help that specifically? I'm going to start doing full stretches before I run (I forgot to!) but I'd like to know what I need to focus on.

Question: Does anyone wear minimalist shoes? I'm going to try wearing my Vibram 5 Fingers on Wednesday!
  • badwolfIO
    badwolfIO Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Tried for W8D1 last night. Awful! Don't tie your shoelaces too tight! My feet and ankles were killing me! Ended up stopping at 20mins. BUT... that's 20mins more than I could run 8 weeks ago. If I don't get better, I might go back a couple of weeks and ease into it a little more gradual.
  • carolina822
    carolina822 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Hi all - new to posting in this group, but figured I might as well hop in. :)

Finished week 3 day 3 today. I won't say it was easy, but I did it and I am getting to the point where I am not super sore the evening/morning after a run so that's progress. I find myself counting my steps in increments of 100 and I find it strangely relaxing - lol.

I'm not 100% sure I'm ready to hop to week 4, but I felt that way about week 3 too, so maybe I should go for it and see how it goes.
  • lovekohl
    lovekohl Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I'm having a really hard time with the 25 minute runs in week 7. I can make it about 21 or 22 minutes before I have to stop for five or ten seconds and then finish out the run. It's a bit disappointing and it's making me wish I could run outside and not on a treadmill. Too bad it's too cold to put the kids in the jogging stroller.
  • taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Bugger on the burn Zorbaru, hope it heals up quickly

Congrats on graduating Kanras

Homemaker, I used to get that sometimes earlier in the program. I found the best stretch for the shin muscles is to be barefoot and try and 'press' the top of your foot into the ground from a tip toe type position (except top of the toes on the ground, not bottom like when on tip toes)

Badwolf, write it off as a bad run and either try the next session or just repeat that one if you feel like you're really not ready for it. Everyone has bad runs at times. I've had them during the program and before, it sucks but you just need to suck them up and move one.

Welcome Carolina, follow and trust the program, if you're really unsure just slow down your pace a bit more.

Kohlmontano, have you considered dropping your pace? even if it's just 0.1 or 0.2 mph/kph on your treadmill. I've not run on a treadmill in many years, not keen to go back, but at least you have an easy way to set/keep your pace at whatever you want/require.
  • mheebner
    mheebner Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone! I just completed W2D1 with my black lab :) I was surprised that jogging for 90 sec wasn't hard at all! I go very slow, about a 12:30 pace at "top speed", lol. But if I can just JOG for a 5k, I know the speed part will come later! I just want to be able to keep moving!

Problem: My shins hurt! They feel tight and they burn, both when walking and running. Does that indicate my gait or blaance is off or something? What stretches help that specifically? I'm going to start doing full stretches before I run (I forgot to!) but I'd like to know what I need to focus on.

Question: Does anyone wear minimalist shoes? I'm going to try wearing my Vibram 5 Fingers on Wednesday!

I am no expert but I have dealt with shin splints more than once doing C25K. Some good stretches to help with the pain in to do the alphabet with each foot. Hits the muscles and tendons around the shin and calf.
    Also the pain might be an indication of shin splints which totally suck. Did you have a run analysis done ? Did they see any issues that would cause running pain ? Over/under pronation and heel striking are two reasons why you might be having pain and can be corrected with good running shoes. If you are not aware of what issues you have, the minimalist shoes might make things worse.
  • sinca21
    sinca21 Posts: 41 Member
    Options

I'm not 100% sure I'm ready to hop to week 4, but I felt that way about week 3 too, so maybe I should go for it and see how it goes.

I'm new around here, too and just slightly ahead of you in the program. I finished Week 4, Day 2 last night. I was nervous about week 4, too but just go for it. You might surprise yourself, either way you'll know. I just told myself, "I'm in training and this is what training is." I have to remember that since I've got Week 5 waiting for me.

Last night's run was good for me until the end when I thought I was almost done so I kicked into high gear and picked up my pace, sure that I'd hear the chime in 10 seconds or so for cool down. When it didn't come, I looked down at my phone and d'oh! Still a minute left! I made it but I felt wiped out by the end.

Homemaker, I've dealt with shin splints in the past (I overpronate) and it is the worst, I hope that isn't what is ailing you. I like the alphabet suggestion, I usually just pick my foot off the ground and roll it around at the ankle for a bit. I don't do any static stretches before running but afterward I always do a few basic calf stretches and I do heel walking around the house for a bit. Ice those shins. I have no experience with 5 fingers but if it's a flat foot problem, they could exacerbate the shin pain.