Daily Check In Thread

Options

Replies

• fit4life_73
    fit4life_73 Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    LLduds wrote: »
    LLduds wrote: »
    Week 7/Day 2 done! I was slow but steady...a pretty smooth run without any mental "drama" :) Happy Saturday to all!!!!

Wow! You are rocking this. Are you running everyday? I want to increase my runs to 6 days a week.

My weekly fitness routine is still a work in progress, but right now I'm jogging first thing in the morning 5 times/week. The other 2 mornings (Wed, Sun) I do the elliptical for cross training (Wed) or "Gentle Hatha" yoga (Sunday, my "rest day"). In the evening, I lift weights with a trainer 2 nights/week and go to a "Vinyasa Flow" yoga class 1 night/week. I'm trying to find a balance between effective cross training while avoiding over-training (especially since I'm in my late 30s and not a great athlete). I'm working on developing more fitness-based goals so I focus on being healthy and strong rather than the number on the scale. I've signed up for a few 5Ks in August, a few 10Ks in Sept/Oct, and a half marathon in November :) Sorry, I know this is probably TMI....I'm not sure why I'm writing all this. LOL!

Lol! Thanks for sharing. Thsts a great workout plan. It's time for me to add more as well.
  • archanajoyce
    archanajoyce Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Timing Doubt;

When I run, I start out with a brisk walk and then run, do I calculate distance from when I start walking or when I start running?
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Lol! Thanks for sharing. Thsts a great workout plan. It's time for me to add more as well.

For new runners it's generally an effective way to develop an overuse injury.

There are lots of instances in this thread of people ignoring the plan and running every day, hitting weekn 5 or 6, talking about some pain, and then disappearing.

The reason for every other day initially is to allow the connective tissue and joints an opportunity to recover from the stresses of running, albeit slowly and for short distances.

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Timing Doubt;

When I run, I start out with a brisk walk and then run, do I calculate distance from when I start walking or when I start running?

Up to you, there is no right or wrong answer. For me, I used to measure from the start, to the finish. Nowadays I don't bother with a warm up walk, so I'm comparing near like for like.
  • Knyvern
    Knyvern Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Completed w4d3 this morning. Super slow but I did it.
  • fit4life_73
    Options
    Completed w4d3 this morning. Super slow but I did it.
    Great job. Have fun with week 5
  • AutumnCity
    AutumnCity Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    klmnumbers wrote: »
    Woke up early to do W2D2 this morning. Back in doors because it's storming outside, but I think I'm going to try outside for the most part from here on out. It's easier to start and stop jogging. I'm definitely running super slow, but I'm just happy I'm jogging. =)

Slow and steady wins the race, right? B) I feel like I can walk faster than I'm running sometimes, but you know what? We're still running! And that's what matters.

Yes! I am right there with you guys. Slowww but stoked to be making it happen.
  • kramrn77
    kramrn77 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    After laying in bed and debating for a while I finally crawled out and put on my running clothes and snuck out the door. W3D3 done and over with.
  • fit4life_73
    Options
    Week 7 is done! I finished the 2.5 miles and decided to go all the way. I did it! I finished the 5k in 37 minutes. Week 8 here I come
  • LLduds
    LLduds Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Week 7 is done! I finished the 2.5 miles and decided to go all the way. I did it! I finished the 5k in 37 minutes. Week 8 here I come

Hooray - I bet that feels good!! I'm finishing my week 7 tomorrow and am weirdly excited about it :) Rest days are a challenge (something I never thought I'd say). We adopted a kitten from the shelter yesterday so I've been entertained all day watching my 2 year old basset hound follow her around the house, trying to sniff her ears and lick her face. Basset hounds are sweet dogs (but terrible jogging partners, LOL).

Happy Sunday to all!!!
  • tslawson3
    tslawson3 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    W5D3 is done and it was AWESOME! I actually surprised myself. I focused on enjoying the run and having a good form. I was surprised when the lady said one minute left because I felt like I had more run in me. I'm extremely proud of my progress...from one minute to twenty minutes! :D
  • taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options

For new runners it's generally an effective way to develop an overuse injury.

There are lots of instances in this thread of people ignoring the plan and running every day, hitting weekn 5 or 6, talking about some pain, and then disappearing.

The reason for every other day initially is to allow the connective tissue and joints an opportunity to recover from the stresses of running, albeit slowly and for short distances.

I definitely have to agree with MM, unless you're coming from a very active background (And even then it's still risky) 5 times a week is asking to be sidelined with overuse injury.
  • archanajoyce
    edited June 2015
    Options
    :):):) I did it! Week 8 Day 3 complete... I'm really slow. But that can be fixed!

obtxwcf14oe4.jpg
  • fit4life_73
    Options
    :):):) I did it! Week 8 Day 3 complete... I'm really slow. But that can be fixed!

obtxwcf14oe4.jpg

Congratulations
  • rajnigandha21
    rajnigandha21 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    W6D1 done.
  • rajnigandha21
    Options
    W6D1 done.
    W6D2 doing today.

• rajnigandha21
    Options
    W6D1 done.
    W6D2 doing today.

Done.
  • archanajoyce
    Options

obtxwcf14oe4.jpg

Congratulations

Thank You @fit4life_73
  • eyethree
    eyethree Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    eyethree wrote: »
    W8D3 done! I graduate Sunday woo hoo! 3.09 straight miles run this morning total 3.41 including warm up and cool down.

Congratulations!! What's next...
    I start B210K on Tuesday. Very excited about that. Thank you.

• LLduds
    LLduds Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Week 7/Day 3 done!! I had to run through some sprinklers to get it done, but I did it! Seriously though, what kind of public park runs their sprinklers at 6am when the joggers are out?!?!