Daily Check In Thread

Options

Replies

• maggiekat7
    maggiekat7 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    @adam145: my run ends with the same slope i trudge up at the start of my route. i have yet to traipse down that segment without smiling. as much as i hate that gradual climb at the beginning - it's a lovely way to near the end of that run.

@JSC145: i'm glad to hear you found a system that works, and good on your for modifying the program to meet your needs! have a great run on friday!

@worldsworstsuperhero : i have to run early in the morning before things heat up too much. right now it's only 16C and because i live near the ocean it doesn't really get too hot (or cold) for long. it does however, get wet in the winter. i might need to join the gym this fall. :wink: way to finish your run in challenging circumstances. i know just what you mean, i did ONE run after dinner during this program and it was wretched. haven't tried a run in the evening since!
  • maggiekat7
    Options
    I think I'm slipping back into old thinking habits. My way to avoid failure is to not do it at all. I'm focussing on the finish right after I start. This makes for a long treadmill run. Running outside is not an option right now. I'm watching Netflix as I do for every run. I one this is All in my head because I know I can do this. Not sure why I'm letting this get to me now and I'm so close to finishing.

i recognize that self-handicapping approach - "if i don't do it, i can't fail"!

how do you think you can pull yourself out your old thinking habits? have any strategies worked in the past? i know i MUST run with music. i don't recommend The Who's "Who Are You?" - LOL. that song is really long, and i guess i need shorter tunes to keep pushing me to the finish line. :wink:

i know you can do this too, here's hoping you break through any self-imposed barriers on your next run!
  • Knyvern
    Knyvern Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Did w4d1 today. Slow but not too hard.
  • rainbow1974
    rainbow1974 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    samra338 wrote: »
    DaveAkeman wrote: »
    Hi Guys, week 5, day 1 this morning..... found it ok, but need to improve my pace if I am going to do a 5k in under 40mins. My plan is showing that I am doing 11.5 min miles at the moment, so I am hoping that with more running and less walking, this will improve. Only 4 weeks to the race...... I hope I can do it. Scary to think that I may be able to run for 30 + mins..............

You really shouldn't worry about your pace, but you're doing fine! You will get faster. And, you realize that 11.5 min/mile is several minutes FASTER than a 40 minute 5k, right? I know it's a little farther, but what I found is that as I increased my time/distance going through the C25K, my pace did not generally decrease.

Thanks.... I'm not too worried about pace, but I really would like to know that I can run it in a decent time..... Have done week 5 day 2 twice, as I am scared of the 20 min run that is next......

Don't be...your body is ready, it's just your mind telling you it is difficult. Just concentrate on your form and slow down as much as you want. Good luck!

Thanks - I keep chanting to myself when it gets a bit hard... "slow down, you can do this, trust in the program...."
  • showjumper
    showjumper Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Well I did it!!! I dropped back to W2D2 and ran outside this morning for the first time in a long time (like VERY long time) I took the dog who loved it, more then me i think! I compared my results to the same day on the treadmill and was a bit slower but I managed it all no stopping and covered 1.78 miles in the process. I have been a treadmill dependent runner since I completely wrecked my knee 8 years ago, i have put a really honest effort into the C25K program this time and have noticed a marked improvement. i will go back and do my regular scheduled run on the treadmill (W5D1) and then maybe try another outdoor run and see how it goes.... I really really want to run outside....... I just have to move out of my comfort zone i guess....

Happy Hump day!
  • krichard08
    krichard08 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I did it! I completed W6D3 last night. No walking which I wasn't sure I could do but I did it! I am actually looking forward to completing the whole program so that i can start working on my times. I am slow as molasses right now. If I was to compete in a real 5K race I would be looking at around a 44 minute time. I don't care at the moment. I am doing it! I really want to make running a part of my weight loss/fitness routine and am looking forward to a time when I can run longer distances and really take advantage of the fitness aspects of running. Two years ago when I was 215 lbs. I couldn't even make it past Week 3. I am happy!
  • rebeccatherine
    rebeccatherine Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Finished W2D3 tonight! Worst average pace of week 2, but I finished it and that is what matters.
    If my three week 2 runs are indicative of what I should expect from now on, I run best in the morning before I've eaten anything, followed closely by running after 8pm. 6pm doesn't work so well.
    I won't have time for W3D1 until Saturday morning, and I'm already a little nervous about it. Three minutes in a row?! :/
  • taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    I much prefer cold, wet days- especially if the wind is up!
    How do people in warmer climates than the UK cope?! I go crazy in the heat!!

I prefer the cooler days, though not so much if the wind is up too much.
    As for the heat, it's like everything else. Do it more and get used to it. It sucks.. oh how well I know it sucks!
    My stupidity with heat(Though others have done way worse) was broadcast globally this year through the Jantastic program, when I went on a run in 37C+ temps. I suffered, my pace suffered but I survived and most of my other summer runs didn't feel so bad.
  • klmnumbers
    klmnumbers Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Did W2D1 tonight. Ran outside again. It was easier than W1D3 for some reason. Probably because I planned my hills well so I was never running up.. =)
  • rajnigandha21
    rajnigandha21 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    C25K W5D3 Done! Feeling great as I ran straight 20 minutes non-stop.TBH I was apprehensive about the dreaded day but it was easier than my expectations. Started slow then increased the speed in last 6 minutes. Patting my own back!! ;)
  • kristafb
    kristafb Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I was supposed to do w4d3 but because I woke up late for my night shifts only had 15 minutes to spare but I got on the treadmill and walked for 2 minutes and then ran for 10 minutes straight! Its the first time EVER I've fun longer than 8 minutes. I attempted c25k 2 years ago and got as far as 8 minute runs but never any further. I honestly think I will make it through the dreaded W5D3 this time! Yay! :p
  • LLduds
    LLduds Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Week 6/Day 3 DONE!!! I'm not going to say that it was easy, but it was certainly easier than I expected. It really is a matter of overcoming your mind....my body is definitely strong enough. It's my thoughts that say, "Hey...maybe you should stop and walk for a bit....catch your breath...."

Does anyone else find themselves mild-to-moderately obsessed with NOT WALKING ever/at all/OMG the world will end during the running intervals? I'm not sure if it's some sort of mental compensatory strategy for keeping the "just quit" thoughts at bay? But I'm also a bit obsessional at times so maybe it's just my usual brand of crazy.

Anyway, happy Thursday to all!!!
  • krichard08
    krichard08 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    LLduds wrote: »
    Week 6/Day 3 DONE!!! I'm not going to say that it was easy, but it was certainly easier than I expected. It really is a matter of overcoming your mind....my body is definitely strong enough. It's my thoughts that say, "Hey...maybe you should stop and walk for a bit....catch your breath...."

Does anyone else find themselves mild-to-moderately obsessed with NOT WALKING ever/at all/OMG the world will end during the running intervals? I'm not sure if it's some sort of mental compensatory strategy for keeping the "just quit" thoughts at bay? But I'm also a bit obsessional at times so maybe it's just my usual brand of crazy.

Anyway, happy Thursday to all!!!

YES!!! I feel like if I walk when I am supposed to be running then the day didn't count at all and will have to do it again..lol. You and I are at the same spot in the program and it took everything I had to talk myself out of walking for the brief moment to catch my breath.
  • maggiekat7
    Options
    It's fantastic to read all the updates from people completing their 5th week - way to go! I am also loving all the updates from the new runners in the group *cheers*!

I finished week 8 today. Hobbled home on a sore ankle. Will have to take two days off before starting week 9 and see how things are at that time.
  • eyethree
    eyethree Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    W8D2 completed yesterday. I actually ran 3.05 of it with a total mileage of 3.61 with the warm up and cool down. Tomorrow is W8D3 then graduate Sunday! I've already downloaded B210K for my next adventure.
  • fit4life_73
    fit4life_73 Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I haven't run in a few days now. I've been nursing a sinus headache since Tuesday. Gonna try to go out today to do w7d2.

@sleepigrl - I'm doing the program by distance too. The remaining runs are intimidating because I'm actually running longer than the timed version. I started at 12 min/mile until w6d3. Now I avg 14min/mile. How do you like the distance version?
  • AutumnCity
    AutumnCity Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Just finished week 4 of the 10-week c25K I'm doing. Today was run 6 min, then walk 3 min, for a distance of 3 miles. There's a Jimmy Buffet concert going on in my neighborhood, so I had to find a new route today. Honestly, I am just so proud of myself every time I get out there and do it.
  • kramrn77
    kramrn77 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    W3d2 down. I managed 1.7m in the 28m and then had enough left over to slow jog another mile with just a few stops to orientate to the unfamiliar trail. Feeling great!
  • taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    To everyone posting lately, you all rock! You're working your way through the program wonderfully :)
  • RunionX4
    RunionX4 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    W2d1 in the record books for me. Not as bad as I was expecting. Completed the entire program and continued to walk for a bit longer just because I could. I feel great. Now for bottle of water and shower.