Daily Check In Thread

Options

Replies

• Aine8046
    Aine8046 Posts: 2,122 Member
    Options
    You guys are doing awesome! I am not checking in often anymore as I moved to preparing for half-marathon! :) Hard to believe I was doing c25k only several months ago!
  • famousmel
    famousmel Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    rnurse82 wrote: »
    So disappointed in myself. W7D1 I made it 22 mins and gave up!!!! As I walked back up the driveway to the house I knew I could have made it 3 more minutes. Was actually making my best time yet. Avg pace was 15 mins/mile! I know that's not fast to a lot of you, but for me it was. When I looked down right before stopping I was running a pace of 11 min/ mike at that time. Oh well. I will retry tmrw.
    ljmus1 wrote: »
    Hello. I finished week 1 today! So I'm new. I've started this program a few times over the years but I've never finished it. This time I've already signed up for a 5k in August and a 10k in November, so I'll have to keep going! Enjoying it so far this time :)

Excellent job! Keep it up! If I can do it, anyone can!

What app are you using? I set my RunDouble to tell me my pace at 10 minute intervals so I know I'm on the right pace for me (I'm also around 15min/mile). Use today's run as a reminder of how you felt for your next run, is 3 minutes of pushing it worth 2 days of being proud of yourself instead of disappointed?? Keep it up!
  • cecsav1
    cecsav1 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    Headed out for day two... it's 94 degrees. I must be nuts! ☉
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    cecsav1 wrote: »
    Headed out for day two... it's 94 degrees. I must be nuts! ☉
    @cecsav1 Being Nuts is one of the first Mandatory requirements to be a runner.
    Good Shoes are second. Good on you for getting out no matter the weather.
    As a Northerner I never have to worry about 94 degrees, -40 yes. You can always add layers for cold weather, You can only take so many off before you get arrested.
    Aine8046 wrote: »
    You guys are doing awesome! I am not checking in often anymore as I moved to preparing for half-marathon! :) Hard to believe I was doing c25k only several months ago!

I agree with @Aine8046, everyone is doing great.
    I didn't know about C25K or B210K when I started running. I started out with small runs and built up to a 5k. Signed up for a local 10k race and trained up to that distance, then ran a few more 10k's. Signed up for a HM and started the training cycle. Now at a point where if I stumbled onto a HM for this weekend that looked like fun I would just sign up and go without even worrying about a training cycle. So to all the new runners keep on keeping on, burn the rubber off the Toes of your shoes - Have Fun - It helps keep you engaged.
  • mel_issa1717
    mel_issa1717 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Starting week 2 day 1 tonight! Have a bit of knee pain and lower back pain but I just need to push through. I haven't been this excited to run in a very long time (and about 35lbs ago). Yay! Dogs are enjoying too!
  • rusgolden
    rusgolden Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    I finished W8D1 yesterday and have D2 tomorrow. Recently I have been running on our community trail or neighborhoods that have been fairly flat, but yesterday's run I did downtown and the hills almost killed me. I pushed through it and was glad most of the uphill was at the beginning. I haven't decided on where to run yet, but leaning towards downtown again, maybe just not the same route, lol.
  • sweets1973
    sweets1973 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    So last Friday I did W5D3 with the 20 minutes running I only managed 14 minutes. Moved on to W6D1 did that OK. W6D2 I didn't manage to do the 2nd 10 minute run only did 6 minutes lol and I have using the treadmill at the gym. Today W6D3 decided to run on the street and I managed the 22 minutes of running so you could say I'm happy bunny lol
  • cecsav1
    Options
    Haha @juliett3455 Running is one thing... running from the cops is another!!!
  • NancyN795
    NancyN795 Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    Went into town first thing this morning (before it got hot) and did 5K without hills (near Boyd Lake State Park). My pace was 12:30 (4.8 miles per hour). I feel pretty good about that.

@rnurse82 & @sweetdianachka - I understand not wanting to go on to the 10K. I'm going to because I've decided that running in the Bolder Boulder next Memorial Day is a goal worth shooting for. I've never been a runner. Before last December, I'd never run for 30 minutes straight in my life. Next year I'll turn 60, so doing this big event, that has taken place near me pretty much my entire adult life, appeals to me. If it weren't for that, I wouldn't be planning on training for the 10K. Anyway, RunDouble has a couple of "5K improver" plans if having a structured plan is something you want or need (I think I need it).

Also, I just read a great article about how 5K is the ideal race. Here's the link: http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-5k-not-the-marathon-is-the-ideal-race/
  • sbl1881
    sbl1881 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Graduation Day! 3.11 miles in 32:04 minutes. On to the RunDouble bridge to 10k, then a 1/2 marathon in October. Yay for me!!!
  • cecsav1
    Options
    Week one complete!!
  • rnurse82
    rnurse82 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    W8d1 done!!!! Yes!!! I attempted last night, but stopped at 22 mins. Mind over matter! My running part (the 28 mins) was 2.28 miles. So, I am half a mile short as to the distance it suggest. My pace is getting faster. For sure. So excited to be able to run 30 mins nonstop in a few days!! So unbelievable how fast this journey has flown by!!
  • rusgolden
    Options
    rusgolden wrote: »
    I finished W8D1 yesterday and have D2 tomorrow. Recently I have been running on our community trail or neighborhoods that have been fairly flat, but yesterday's run I did downtown and the hills almost killed me. I pushed through it and was glad most of the uphill was at the beginning. I haven't decided on where to run yet, but leaning towards downtown again, maybe just not the same route, lol.

So, yesterday I finished W8D2 and ran downtown. I changed the route up and although still had hills, they were more gradual and not as steep. I've had to slow my pace a bit, but still seem to be on a pace to be able to complete the 5K when I get there. After I finished yesterday, I noticed I had developed a blister on the arch of my right foot, so not sure what was different other than more heat and humidity, so possibly sweat caused it to rub?? So, now onto my final training run tomorrow. :)
  • taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Wk 9 D1 done! I can barely believe I made it this far! eek! I have to start thinking about what to do when I finish. I don't want to run farther, so I'm not sure about the 10k plan. I want to concentrate on running the 5k better. But I liked how the structured plan kept me going. I know there is a forum for graduates so I will be checking it out.

I feel the same way. I just want to improve my time of the 5k. Everything I read says to work toward a 10k and your time will improve. I don't want to do that! Then, I have also read to do intervals? Sprint for 1 minute, recover for 30, repeat.

I am supposed to do my W8D1 today. My knee is a little "off" today. I had some knee problems when I first started and didn't listen to my body and ended up out of commission for 2 weeks. So, I am going to listen to my body and see how I feel this evening and go from there. I feel the best I have in years. I have NEVER ran before, so this is an awesome feeling. Even though I am technically jogging, I am excited!

The best way to improve your 5k time currently while ya'll are beginner runners is to work towards being able to run 10k. You need the endurance of being able to run 10K to really run hard for a 5k.

I'd stay away from intervals until you've been running for at least 6 months without injury/niggles.
    Honestly it is extremely easy to run yourself into an injury, especially in the first few years of running.
  • rusgolden
    Options
    taeliesyn wrote: »
    Wk 9 D1 done! I can barely believe I made it this far! eek! I have to start thinking about what to do when I finish. I don't want to run farther, so I'm not sure about the 10k plan. I want to concentrate on running the 5k better. But I liked how the structured plan kept me going. I know there is a forum for graduates so I will be checking it out.

I feel the same way. I just want to improve my time of the 5k. Everything I read says to work toward a 10k and your time will improve. I don't want to do that! Then, I have also read to do intervals? Sprint for 1 minute, recover for 30, repeat.

I am supposed to do my W8D1 today. My knee is a little "off" today. I had some knee problems when I first started and didn't listen to my body and ended up out of commission for 2 weeks. So, I am going to listen to my body and see how I feel this evening and go from there. I feel the best I have in years. I have NEVER ran before, so this is an awesome feeling. Even though I am technically jogging, I am excited!

The best way to improve your 5k time currently while ya'll are beginner runners is to work towards being able to run 10k. You need the endurance of being able to run 10K to really run hard for a 5k.

I'd stay away from intervals until you've been running for at least 6 months without injury/niggles.
    Honestly it is extremely easy to run yourself into an injury, especially in the first few years of running.

Thanks for the tip. Do you recommend going immediately from the C25K to the B210K program or run the 5K distance for a week or two?
  • taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    rusgolden wrote: »

Thanks for the tip. Do you recommend going immediately from the C25K to the B210K program or run the 5K distance for a week or two?

That's a really personal one, some people have troubles going back to the run walk schedule, even after only the last week or two (I've forgotten how long it's just straight runs) of the C25K program, others don't mind it.

If you think you'll be fine going back to taking walking breaks, by all means have a week or two of running 5k or 30 minutes as the case may be a few times a week, and then move on to the B210K. If you think you might struggle, I'd suggest diving straight in to the B210K.
  • upsaluki
    upsaluki Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    Finished w2d1 of zombies run 5k Thursday and w2d3 on Sunday.