Daily Check In Thread

Options

Replies

• cecsav1
    cecsav1 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    upsaluki wrote: »
    Finished w2d1 of zombies run 5k Thursday and w2d3 on Sunday.

What's the difference between the Couch to 5k and Zombies Run 5k in terms of structure?
  • upsaluki
    upsaluki Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    cecsav1 wrote: »

What's the difference between the Couch to 5k and Zombies Run 5k in terms of structure?

I haven't done a big comparison really, but at the end there is a 10 minute free form run. You can run as much or as little as you want. I've been running the first five minutes of that. They have v you do some exercises at the end of each interval (so far only heel lifts).

Week 2 is a 10 minute walk, 5 30 second ruin intervals with 5 heel lifts, then the ten minute free form run.

I've done c25k on rundouble twice now so I was just looking to change things up. If I do a 5k to 10k program I'll just do rundouble again. I think there are better running apps out there. I've been happy with RunDouble and Strava.
  • rnurse82
    rnurse82 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    @taeliesyn thank you so much!! I will do this!

I am working towards W8D2...I tried to do it this morning, however I could not even make it 15 mins straight! I now remember why I HATE running in the mornings. I have NO energy and my MIND wins EVERY time! Blah. No first of the morning running for me. I've found any time after 9 am I am ok, usually. I KNOW I can run 28 mins straight. Pooh! I WILL get there!
    @upsaluki great job!
  • cecsav1
    Options
    @upsaluki Thanks! :)
  • mel_issa1717
    mel_issa1717 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Finished Week 2 today... can't wait to start week 3, though week four looks super intimidating!
  • rusgolden
    rusgolden Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    Finished Week 2 today... can't wait to start week 3, though week four looks super intimidating!

You got this... it's a mental thing, believe me, I felt the same way in a few stages along the way, but just trust the program and know it has worked for thousands before you. :)
  • rusgolden
    Options
    rnurse82 wrote: »
    I am working towards W8D2...I tried to do it this morning, however I could not even make it 15 mins straight! I now remember why I HATE running in the mornings. I have NO energy and my MIND wins EVERY time! Blah. No first of the morning running for me. I've found any time after 9 am I am ok, usually. I KNOW I can run 28 mins straight. Pooh! I WILL get there!

I've only done morning runs... can't imagine trying to run at the end of a long work day and as it gets warmer and warmer in KC, morning is the coolest part of the day. Of course, I've stuck to a morning workout routine for 18 months now, so I might have felt the same way trying to run back in the beginning.

Regardless, you can do it... I can tell from your post that you know it is your mind that is giving up, not your body... good luck!
  • NancyN795
    NancyN795 Posts: 1,134 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I started RunDouble's 5K to 10K program today. However, I'm kind of attached to this group, so I'm going to post both here and on the Bridge to 10K group for now. So...

RD 5K to 10K W1D1 Timed done. I ran a total of 3.3 miles. Which suited me just fine. The only problem was that I underestimated how much farther I should run after the "you are halfway" announcement before I turned around and ended up having to double back when I got to the end in order to finish the run. My excuse is that the road is really steep when I get to halfway!

The distance version of the program would have had me running 4.4 miles with a 1/2 mile stretch that averages a nearly 8% grade right in the middle. I didn't think I could make that kind of a jump from the 5K distance (which only took me part way up that awful grade). Which is why I'm starting with the timed version.
  • rusgolden
    Options
    NancyN795 wrote: »
    I started RunDouble's 5K to 10K program today. However, I'm kind of attached to this group, so I'm going to post both here and on the Bridge to 10K group for now. So...

Me too... although using the Zen Labs 10K trainer app instead. Starting tomorrow... was going to give myself an extra days rest, but I'm too psyched up now to wait another day.
  • taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options

Quite a big structural difference. The general idea is the same, but the free form runs in the Zombies run 5, change the dynamic quite a lot later in the program. You also end up running for a lot more time at the end of the ZR5K. Both work well though, and I think it depends on your mindset.. having the free form run, where you can run or walk as much as you want, or alternate again. Is great for some people. Others will possibly walk the lot, and not gear anywhere near the benifit
  • NancyN795
    Options
    rusgolden wrote: »
    NancyN795 wrote: »

Me too... although using the Zen Labs 10K trainer app instead. Starting tomorrow... was going to give myself an extra days rest, but I'm too psyched up now to wait another day.

I did take two days off between the 5K run I did on Friday and today's. I had a good reason - the weather was going to be hotter than blazes on Saturday and Sunday, but cooler today. As the summer progresses, I can see this being more and more of a problem, as I want to prioritize my daily 5 mile walk with my husband over my solo runs and there's only so much time between when it gets light enough to go out running or walking (we suspect we have a resident mountain lion in the area) and when it gets too hot even for walking up the hill (I'm pretty heat sensitive). I may have to do some running on the treadmill and will also probably end up stretching out the training schedule (which is fine, as long as I can run 10K by next Memorial Day).
  • cecsav1
    Options
    Week 2 Day 2 is in the books! Is it just me, or is this getting easier? ;)
  • rusgolden
    Options
    Week 2 Day 2 is in the books! Is it just me, or is this getting easier? ;)

It does seem that way, but stick with the program even if you feel you can run further and don't panic when you start to get to the long runs.
  • BethAnnieT
    BethAnnieT Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    It had been 2 weeks since my last run, so I did W4D1 again. It was hard due to heat (100 deg and zero shade), but doable legs-wise and cardio-wise. Too bad I had to come back to my desk so red and wiped-out looking. Something I learned from the last time I did this was to keep a cold bottle of water in my work locker, so that immediately after my run, before I change clothes, I could have a cold drink. Something I learned this time to put into practice next time, is that if I'm going to be running in such intense heat, wear a skirt to work that day, so I don't have to shove my overheated appendages into pants afterward.
  • NancyN795
    Options
    RD 5K to 10K W1D2 Timed done. My distance this time was a little less - 3.26 miles. However, today my run was 1) after we'd taken our 5 mile walk; 2) after breakfast; and 3) later in the day, so it was warmer out, although not blazing hot. ( @BethAnnieT - I wouldn't even think of running in 100 deg heat! Good for you, but be careful.)

I was slower on the uphill portion today, but I didn't turn around until I reached the same point as Monday. As a result, I only had to double back a little bit at the end. The disadvantage of running less than 2 hours after our walk showed in a couple of ways. One was that I really had to use some willpower to keep at it, especially on the uphill portion and during the last run interval. The other was that when I slowed to a walk before the last run interval, my legs felt a lot like jelly. Usually they wait until I get to the cool down walk to feel like that.
  • rnurse82
    Options
    W8D2 DONE!! My evening runs are the best! So glad I found this group!
  • sutibo
    sutibo Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Week 3 day 2 done. I'm really enjoying being back at this.
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    As soon as my fractured arm heals, I'll be back to C25k from the beginning. :neutral:
  • smiles4jo
    smiles4jo Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Today, I hit a total of 40lbs down. I celebrated by going out and doing W7D3 at 6:15am on my day off! This was my first morning run, despite not being a morning person at all, I do like the fact that I hit my 10,000 steps for the day at noon and now have the rest of the day for myself :)

It's supposed to feel like 41 degrees Celsius (105 Farenheit) on Sunday, so the morning runs might be a good idea during the heat wave.

As a side note - 41 degrees!?!?! Who said Canada is cold? lol
  • rnurse82
    Options
    So awesome!!! Only 2 more pounds to go before I hit my 40lb mark! What a way to celebrate!! Congrats!