Daily Check In Thread

Options

Replies

• Slimjimjellybelly
    Slimjimjellybelly Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    W1D2 done.
    Out of breathe a bit, legs feel heavy but all good. My ankles ache a bit. Is this normal for someone not used to running?

@nikkit321 seems you no longer need it if you can continually run for 25 mins. I wish I was at your stage, I'll get there soon enough I'm sure.
  • showjumper
    showjumper Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    @CKP82 Good job on day 2! Keep at it, and it will get easier......if you are out of breath and your legs feel heavy try slowing down just a bit, right now you are working on strengthening all your tendons and ligaments and getting used to the motion and impact of running. Are you on a treadmill or outside? Did you get new shoes or proper running shoes before you started? This can make a huge difference.

@nikkit321 Good job! Great to see you didn't lose your form much on your down time.....
  • Slimjimjellybelly
    Options
    @showjumper I'm running outside with proper running shoes. I guess the terrain combined with being new to running will explain the impact on my aches. I will look into the speed of my runs and hopefully get less out of breathe.
  • upsaluki
    upsaluki Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    I always had bad shin splints early on until I got the right shoes. Foam rolling helped. I'm still real slow.

Week 3 D2 is in the books.
  • Slimjimjellybelly
    Options
    W1D3 done. Heavy legs seemed lighter, I wasn't out of breathe as much either! thanks @showjumper for the tip on slowing down, I think it has helped. Also, my aching ankles were hardly noticeable!
    Week 1 complete.
  • upsaluki
    Options
    Whoops. Forgot to check in last time. W3d3 finished on Friday. Week 4 Day 1 done this morning. Good start to the day.
  • Aine8046
    Aine8046 Posts: 2,122 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Hi everyone! I was a runner, but had a long break and try to get back in shape! Use c25k twice, both times worked like magic :) So, I registered for a 5k on March 25th :)
    Week 1 day 2 is done.
  • Slimjimjellybelly
    Options
    Week 2 day 1 done. Feeling all the better for it now!
  • upsaluki
    Options
    Aine8046 wrote: »
    Hi everyone! I was a runner, but had a long break and try to get back in shape! Use c25k twice, both times worked like magic :) So, I registered for a 5k on March 25th :)
    Week 1 day 2 is done.

Nice. The soonest I can get into one is April 1. There is an 8k race later in February I'd like to do, but I don't think I'll be ready for it by then. I'll just have to see how it's going.
  • Slimjimjellybelly
    Options
    If you type parkrun into google most places have local groups that organise and Marshall 5k runs every Saturday. When I can run 5k I will start doing them. I'm from England but the organisation is worldwide. Worth checking out.
  • upsaluki
    Options
    ckp82 wrote: »
    If you type parkrun into google most places have local groups that organise and Marshall 5k runs every Saturday. When I can run 5k I will start doing them. I'm from England but the organisation is worldwide. Worth checking out.

Thanks. Strangely, park run hasn't caught on much in the US. There are a lot of races that have a charity tie in going on though. I found one I wouldn't mind doing in mid-March. Now I just have to keep moving through the C25K program. It's been a little harder for me this time. Usually, it feels too easy, but I know it's better to take it slow so I don't pick up an injury. After I make it through C25K, I'm going to start the 10k program.
  • Slimjimjellybelly
    Options
    There's a 10k charity run in August I want to do. Fortunately there's still a long time to go because I'm no where near enough ready, I'm still a beginner, there's nothing wrong with ambition and it acts as a good motivator! As long as I finish I've proved to myself I can do what I want to if I put my mind to it.
  • upsaluki
    Options
    W4D2 done. Our streets are pretty clean, but I found out the nearby trail was covered with ice.
  • Aine8046
    Options
    Week 1 day 2 is done.

Week1 Day 3 is done. Moving on to Week 2! :)
  • Aine8046
    Options
    upsaluki wrote: »
    Week 1 day 2 is done.

Nice. The soonest I can get into one is April 1. There is an 8k race later in February I'd like to do, but I don't think I'll be ready for it by then. I'll just have to see how it's going.

Did you check this out? I can find a 5k race nearly every week within 30 miles from where I live :)
    http://www.runningintheusa.com/Race/Default.aspx
  • Aine8046
    Options
    ckp82 wrote: »
    There's a 10k charity run in August I want to do. Fortunately there's still a long time to go because I'm no where near enough ready, I'm still a beginner, there's nothing wrong with ambition and it acts as a good motivator! As long as I finish I've proved to myself I can do what I want to if I put my mind to it.

Awesome! I also want to do a 10k this summer. And a half in September :)
  • showjumper
    showjumper Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Well it's been a tough week both emotionally and mentally for me... but I made the conscious decision to run tonight... so I did! And yes I feel better!

W5D2 done.... not thinking I can manage the 20 min run in the evening so I will repeat tonight on Thursday and do the dreaded 20 min run on Saturday morning.... then hopefully life will resemble something close to normal next week and I can do M-W and Saturday and conquer week 6 and be on my way to a full 5km run by
  • TheFrostyCanuck
    TheFrostyCanuck Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with you! Week 5 Day 1 done today, day 2 will be done on Wed and then I'm on vacay for a week so I'll redo this week when I get back. Which means I have time before the 20m run. I can't for the life of me understand why there's such a big jump in week 5?! Why from 5m run to 20m? Why not 10m?
  • CM_73
    CM_73 Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Hey all, just wanted to check in.
    Totally new to running, I'm one of those people who just can't do it... so signed up for a 5K at the end of April!
    Today is day 2 of week 2 for me, loving it so far.
  • Slimjimjellybelly
    Options
    W2d2 done. No more aching ankles, still need to work on pace and breathing properly though. Bit icy too at the moment!