Daily Check In Thread

Options

Replies

• rsamuelsgold
    rsamuelsgold Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I did w3d1 today. 3 minute jog... It seemed like a yikes moment especially when my shins started complaining but I did it. c25k has been easy so far. Today was tougher. During that last jog self talk and the song I was listening to kept me going.

My self talk:
    "It's 3 minutes you can do this." Deep breath. Starts jogging. Looks at the clock "2 minutes and 30 seconds left"
    "When does it end?" Looks at the clock.
    "60 seconds"
    "50"
    "Just 30 more seconds, hang in there"
    When the coach thing went START WALKING my legs were too sore to smile but I smiled at the end. I did it. Slow and steady.
  • SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    I did w3d1 today. 3 minute jog... It seemed like a yikes moment especially when my shins started complaining but I did it. c25k has been easy so far. Today was tougher. During that last jog self talk and the song I was listening to kept me going.

be careful. Injuries are the #1 reason we stop exercising and slide back down the mountain. If your shins are still hurting today you may want to rest until they recover and look at running on softer terrain or getting better shoes. It's ALSO ok to repeat a week or day or two until your body is ready to move on without injury. CONGRATS ON GETTING THRU the 3 minutes. You are right, it's about 1 song or less. Sometimes I count steps to myself at the one minute left mark to count seconds... LOL
  • rsamuelsgold
    rsamuelsgold Posts: 391 Member
    Options

be careful. Injuries are the #1 reason we stop exercising and slide back down the mountain. If your shins are still hurting today you may want to rest until they recover and look at running on softer terrain or getting better shoes. It's ALSO ok to repeat a week or day or two until your body is ready to move on without injury. CONGRATS ON GETTING THRU the 3 minutes. You are right, it's about 1 song or less. Sometimes I count steps to myself at the one minute left mark to count seconds... LOL

Thanks for the advice.
  • sweetsalads
    sweetsalads Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I finished! W8D3 done. I lost 13 pounds during the program (with proper diet and other exercises). I still don't really like running, but I always thought that I just couldn't do it and I'm happy to have proved myself wrong.
  • enyagoboom
    enyagoboom Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Tonight I did W2D1 - I can already see my pace time decrease and my distance increase so that is awesome! I may end up repeating this week but we'll see by the end of the week how I'm doing.
  • misspamyla
    misspamyla Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Okay, so there is a race I have been promising myself to enter at the end of October. I have no delusions that I will actually run with fire under my feet, but I would like to run the 5k portion without stopping. I have the C2K app and have started a few times. Tomorrow I start back at Week 1, Day 1 again. I'd start tonight after work but I'm already committed elsewhere and can't get to the gym in time. I'd like a place to check in each day as accountability. You guys are all very inspiring.
  • misspamyla
    misspamyla Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    So, just a question........does everyone do other workouts on the off days? Or do a complete rest day?
  • enyagoboom
    Options
    today is an off day, but i am planning on doing a short walk with the dogs and starting a plank challenge, plus some stretching. i am trying to keep the every-other moving but lighter. by the end of the month my goal is to be back at the gym 2-3 x a week (swimming soon! yay!)
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    I ride my bicycle on off running days.
  • SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    I started using the app 'map my run' today. Just a heads up. I really wish I had started using it when I started C25K so I would have more data. It looks like a really excellent way to track your progress as far as condition etc... And I was also horrified to see that my avg pace was >13 min miles... Hey - a starting point tho? That actually means that when I graduated and did the 30 minute run I was not really ready for a 5K. I did 3 miles today and it took me 40 minutes. Nice that it was not a guess as to distance either....
  • enyagoboom
    Options
    I started using the app 'map my run' today. Just a heads up. I really wish I had started using it when I started C25K so I would have more data. It looks like a really excellent way to track your progress as far as condition etc... And I was also horrified to see that my avg pace was >13 min miles... Hey - a starting point tho? That actually means that when I graduated and did the 30 minute run I was not really ready for a 5K. I did 3 miles today and it took me 40 minutes. Nice that it was not a guess as to distance either....

My zombies, run app tracks the route, distance, and my pace. I was feeling a bit discouraged but when i looked over my stats last night i realized that my distance is growing and my pace is shrinking - I was really happy to see that!

still, it's a 19 minute mile though :D
  • slimpig342
    slimpig342 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, I just joined the group and wasn't sure where to introduce myself, so here seemed like as good a place as any!

I've just completed w6d3, and I'm made up with myself so far. I was one of those people who could think of nothing worse than exercise, especially running, and never would have seen myself running for more than 10 minutes without stopping!

I'm hoping to use this group to keep me motivated and learn more about running.
  • enyagoboom
    Options
    slimpig342 wrote: »
    Hi everyone, I just joined the group and wasn't sure where to introduce myself, so here seemed like as good a place as any!

I've just completed w6d3, and I'm made up with myself so far. I was one of those people who could think of nothing worse than exercise, especially running, and never would have seen myself running for more than 10 minutes without stopping!

I'm hoping to use this group to keep me motivated and learn more about running.

:waves: hi!! You're almost to week 7! That's awesome :) I am really looking forward to hitting week three next week because I have done C25k twice before and not made it to the end of week 2 before giving up.

What made you take up a C25k program?
  • slimpig342
    Options
    Hi @enyagoboom, I've started and quit before too, it's tough when you're new to running! I try to remember that carrying on and doing anything is more important than sticking to the schedule, so slow down if it feels too hard!

C25K appeals to me because I like mini achievements that make it feel like a game. I'm basically a 33-year-old child, so getting a tick on my plan gives me enough of a buzz to motivate me
  • enyagoboom
    Options
    Hi @enyagoboom, I've started and quit before too, it's tough when you're new to running! I try to remember that carrying on and doing anything is more important than sticking to the schedule, so slow down if it feels too hard!

C25K appeals to me because I like mini achievements that make it feel like a game. I'm basically a 33-year-old child, so getting a tick on my plan gives me enough of a buzz to motivate me

Yes! This! Someone else (many someones) posted that if one can go slower, one goes slower and that has been super helpful. AND I got my new sneakers today so I'm really looking forward to breaking them in :smiley:

I use the Zombies, Run! app and love it. I managed to get three friends to sign up for their halloween virtual race already today. 5K, here I come :smiley:
  • veggrrrl
    veggrrrl Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Just_Ceci wrote: »
    You won't be drinking alone! I'm sure there will be hundreds of other people drinking. Where is this race? Sounds like something I'd love!
    9xm2vewfv2fw.gif

Im an introvert, and don't make new friends easily, so that's not my jam.

They have these all over the place! craftbrewraces.com You should go if there's one near you!

I didn't go :( I'm ok with it, I hadn't graduated the program yet and I had to get ready for a craft fair.

Today I did W8D2. I'm going to have to do it again because I didn't time it right, had an extra 5 minutes left when I got to my car, and was running late for work.
  • slimpig342
    Options
    enyagoboom wrote: »

Yes! This! Someone else (many someones) posted that if one can go slower, one goes slower and that has been super helpful. AND I got my new sneakers today so I'm really looking forward to breaking them in :smiley:

I use the Zombies, Run! app and love it. I managed to get three friends to sign up for their halloween virtual race already today. 5K, here I come :smiley:

Zombies, Run! looks amazing! I think I'll wait until I've conquered the 5k, as I'm not sure I could take the speeding up for zombies part just yet, but this could be just what I need to keep the motivation going after c25k. Thanks for the tip!
  • celloeuse
    celloeuse Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Restarting this program with eyes on the star wars 5k in January for the Light Side (gross :P) and the Dark Side (whoo!) Half-Marathon year after next. If I keep on it, I will be running the Half as Governor Pryce with my SO running as Thrawn. So I'm getting on this not just for me but them too, since we're both on the heavier side (I'm PCOS beer belly. They're just stocky)

Glad to (re)start this with y'all!
  • celloeuse
    celloeuse Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Whelp. Day 2 kicked my *kitten*. I am definitely out of shape. Probably going to do this where I repeat each week twice just because I am SO overweight that pushing myself too far may end in stress fractures like last time. Also getting my diet under control so that will help.

Augh.
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    celloeuse wrote: »
    Whelp. Day 2 kicked my *kitten*. I am definitely out of shape. Probably going to do this where I repeat each week twice just because I am SO overweight that pushing myself too far may end in stress fractures like last time. Also getting my diet under control so that will help.

Augh.

Have you been walking a lot? If you can walk briskly for 30 minutes without issues you should be able to do this. Slow down, and then slow down some more. You can do this!